Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Bowl Game
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
New Bowl Game
https://theathletic.com/news/new-bowl-ga...fqbFhOhXE/

Quote:The NCAA Football Oversight Committee on Thursday approved a waiver that will allow for a hastily arranged 42nd FBS bowl game this season, ensuring no bowl-eligible team is left out, sources confirmed to The Athletic.

With 83 teams having finished the regular season with at least a 6-6 record, one eligible team from the MAC, Conference USA or Mountain West would have been left without a berth. The three conferences approached ESPN Events, which operates the majority of the Group of 5 conferences’ bowl games, about the possibility of staging and airing an extra game this season in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, according to sources familiar with the discussions. The company already hosts bowl games at the Cotton Bowl (First Responders Bowl) and in Fort Worth (Armed Forces Bowl) and Frisco, Texas (Frisco Bowl).

The newly created 84th spot in the expanded lineup will go to 6-7 Hawaii, which will stay home and play in the ESPN-owned Hawaii Bowl. Memphis previously accepted an invite to that game.

The new bowl technically replaces the Redbox Bowl in San Francisco, which had been approved for this season but organizers called off in September. A date for the new game has not yet been announced.
12-02-2021 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: New Bowl Game
(12-02-2021 08:13 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/news/new-bowl-ga...fqbFhOhXE/

Quote:The NCAA Football Oversight Committee on Thursday approved a waiver that will allow for a hastily arranged 42nd FBS bowl game this season, ensuring no bowl-eligible team is left out, sources confirmed to The Athletic.

With 83 teams having finished the regular season with at least a 6-6 record, one eligible team from the MAC, Conference USA or Mountain West would have been left without a berth. The three conferences approached ESPN Events, which operates the majority of the Group of 5 conferences’ bowl games, about the possibility of staging and airing an extra game this season in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, according to sources familiar with the discussions. The company already hosts bowl games at the Cotton Bowl (First Responders Bowl) and in Fort Worth (Armed Forces Bowl) and Frisco, Texas (Frisco Bowl).

The newly created 84th spot in the expanded lineup will go to 6-7 Hawaii, which will stay home and play in the ESPN-owned Hawaii Bowl. Memphis previously accepted an invite to that game.

The new bowl technically replaces the Redbox Bowl in San Francisco, which had been approved for this season but organizers called off in September. A date for the new game has not yet been announced.
That is great news for Miami. WE got shut out the last time we were 6-6.
12-02-2021 08:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Call it the Mickey Mouse Bowl Presented by Disney
12-03-2021 07:48 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(12-03-2021 07:48 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Call it the Mickey Mouse Bowl Presented by Disney

In Texas? Why not?
12-03-2021 11:48 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Great news for Miami and Ball State, I think one of us would've been the odd man out over Wyoming or ODU.
12-04-2021 10:50 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
Glad the Mean Green will be facing Miami OH in this bowl. Any Redhawk fans planning to attend better get their tickets early before they're all gone. The stadium only hold 17,000 and UNT can sell about twice that many tickets for a bowl game. Maybe we need to move the bowl down the road to Apogee.
12-05-2021 05:09 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(12-05-2021 05:09 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Glad the Mean Green will be facing Miami OH in this bowl. Any Redhawk fans planning to attend better get their tickets early before they're all gone. The stadium only hold 17,000 and UNT can sell about twice that many tickets for a bowl game. Maybe we need to move the bowl down the road to Apogee.

How long of a drive is it from Denton to Frisco? I'd expect us to sell our allotment and not much more beyond that given the location and timing.
12-05-2021 07:13 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-05-2021 07:13 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 05:09 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Glad the Mean Green will be facing Miami OH in this bowl. Any Redhawk fans planning to attend better get their tickets early before they're all gone. The stadium only hold 17,000 and UNT can sell about twice that many tickets for a bowl game. Maybe we need to move the bowl down the road to Apogee.

How long of a drive is it from Denton to Frisco? I'd expect us to sell our allotment and not much more beyond that given the location and timing.

About +-35 miles.
12-05-2021 09:05 PM
Curtzilla Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kyle Busch
Closer to 15, maybe 18 miles. It has hosted the FCS National Championship Game for quite a while now, and is also the home of FC Dallas soccer team.
12-05-2021 10:10 PM
rockstar791 Offline
Water Engineer

[Image: fHk6embl.png]
12-06-2021 10:43 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I'm about to head out for the bowl Any idea how well Miami will travel for this bowl? 5,000 fans? More or less?
12-23-2021 10:06 AM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(12-23-2021 10:06 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  I'm about to head out for the bowl Any idea how well Miami will travel for this bowl? 5,000 fans? More or less?

I wouldn't expect too much given that we had a pretty mediocre season, we have under 4K alums in the DFW metroplex, and it's the day before Christmas Eve. At least Toyota Stadium seats are red.
12-23-2021 10:23 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(12-23-2021 10:06 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  I'm about to head out for the bowl Any idea how well Miami will travel for this bowl? 5,000 fans? More or less?

Oxford to Texas is a bit of a drive, especially 2 days before Xmas. I doubt they will travel more than 500-1000 fans for a 6-6 team. Just noticed this is a 40 min drive for North Texas though. Unfortunately the MAC only has one bowl game (Quick Lane) anywhere near our schools and we aren't even the primary tie-in for it.
12-23-2021 10:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-23-2021 10:25 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Oxford to Texas is a bit of a drive, especially 2 days before Xmas. I doubt they will travel more than 500-1000 fans for a 6-6 team. Just noticed this is a 40 min drive for North Texas though. Unfortunately the MAC only has one bowl game (Quick Lane) anywhere near our schools and we aren't even the primary tie-in for it.

Yea a bunch of the bowls the MAC has played in have been almost home games for the other team. None are even remotely a drive from MAC territory except the QL bowl in Detroit.
12-23-2021 11:28 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
People generally don't want to vacation where the temperature is sub 40 degrees. The fact all the bowl games for the most part are in southern states is nothing new.
12-23-2021 05:11 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(12-23-2021 05:11 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  People generally don't want to vacation where the temperature is sub 40 degrees. The fact all the bowl games for the most part are in southern states is nothing new.

People in the north want to head south but people in the south who have never experienced snow or been to Detroit, Chicago, or Indianapolis may want to visit. Not that we have bowl games in the last two places.
12-23-2021 05:16 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Miami is up 20-14 at half. North Texas has two turnovers but Miami hasn't managed to pull further away.
12-23-2021 05:17 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

Miami up 27-13 at the end of the third, has the ball in North Texas territory. We should never be relied upon for OOC success, but we may be getting the monkey off our back (and the MAC out of the bowl win goose egg).
12-23-2021 06:12 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

How is Miami giving up so many sacks and NT blowing up plays in the backfield with a three man front?
12-23-2021 06:17 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
That last series was damaging. Holding penalty, tackled behind LOS, missed FG. Hope it doesn’t bite Miami.
12-23-2021 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.