Bookmark and Share
Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
Report: UH was extremely close to being left out of Big 12 expansion
https://gocoogs.com/big-12-reckoning/

Cliff notes:

-Big 12 originally wasn't going to expand at all

-Big 12 relented to expansion via Baylor who had no other plausible Power conference destinations

-Big 12 leaks to media that Houston, UCF, BYU and Cincy were the Big 4 candidates.

uh-UH officials were wary at the news until official invites were handed out

-Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU try to run last minute interference and block UH

-Big 12 was originally going to invite UCF, BYU and Cincy then hold at 11

-UH lets Pac 12 rumors amplify

-UH Pres and AD contacted Fertitta

-Not wanting a repeat of 1996, 2011 or 2016, UH admin also contacted Lt. Governor of Texas who makes a few phone calls and helps get UH into Big 12

-UH's Big 12 invite was the only one with a clause stating that the invite was only good for 2 weeks at a symbolic sign of pettiness and teeth gnashing.

-UH and Texas Tech officials have long discussion at UH vs Texas Tech game

- UH is now on the way to The Big 12 with UCF, Cincy and BYU
11-30-2021 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Report: UH was extremely close to being left out of Big 12 expansion
I only know the earliest talk was UCF, Cincy, and BYU. I have no idea on UH in or out.
12-01-2021 08:37 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
There may have been some pushback from the other TX schools to keep their unique in-state status. As a fan outside of the state, I was rooting for them all along. I don’t think that there’s any question that the largest brands in the state are uT and aTm, but I do think that there’s value in having conference games directly in the Houston and D/FW markets.
12-01-2021 12:45 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Very interesting info, I knew originally that the other Texas schools wanted to keep out UH but didn’t know it was that deep.
12-01-2021 01:31 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
So I’m guessing smu will be a total non starter in the future ?

Jackson
12-01-2021 05:32 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

(12-01-2021 05:32 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  So I’m guessing smu will be a total non starter in the future ?

Jackson
Seems that way
12-01-2021 07:12 PM
Advertisement

Cowboy Frog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
SMU is IN ..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
12-01-2021 08:04 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(12-01-2021 05:32 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  So I’m guessing smu will be a total non starter in the future ?

Jackson

I feel like the list of candidates for #13 and #14 is all MWC teams except for Memphis.
12-02-2021 12:47 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-02-2021 12:47 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

Jackson

I feel like the list of candidates for #13 and #14 is all MWC teams except for Memphis.

Other SDSU, I'm not sure who you'd want from over there. Then the problem with SDSU is they are in SD.

I'm not sure who the next pick would be.
12-02-2021 02:22 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(12-02-2021 02:22 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(12-02-2021 12:47 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

Jackson

Other SDSU, I'm not sure who you'd want from over there. Then the problem with SDSU is they are in SD.

I'm not sure who the next pick would be.

And this is why I don't think expansion is imminent despite the rumors of adding two more. Beyond Memphis, there just isn't a clear partner since the Texas schools are likely out of the running. You're basically looking at SDSU, Boise, and maybe Colorado State.
12-02-2021 02:33 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I think if it happens, it ends up being Memphis and a got-their-ish-together Colorado State. Would be fine additions.
12-02-2021 06:18 PM
Advertisement

litig8r Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
I was also thinking Memphis and Colorado State would be good additions to the Big 12. They are certainly fun places to visit and to watch a football game.

As for the article, thank goodness UH has a billionaire with a good Rolodex and some bigshots on speed dial. \|n/
12-02-2021 10:59 PM
dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
(12-02-2021 10:59 PM)litig8r Wrote:  I was also thinking Memphis and Colorado State would be good additions to the Big 12. They are certainly fun places to visit and to watch a football game.

As for the article, thank goodness UH has a billionaire with a good Rolodex and some bigshots on speed dial. \|n/

if the B12 adds, i'd like to see memphis and colorado state, IF those two can get their **** together.

SDSU is too far, and boise has burned too many bridges - plus, BSU isn't the fball darling that it was a few years ago - its not worth the baggage it brings (think texas lite)
12-03-2021 05:24 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(12-03-2021 05:24 AM)dave108 Wrote:  
(12-02-2021 10:59 PM)litig8r Wrote:  I was also thinking Memphis and Colorado State would be good additions to the Big 12. They are certainly fun places to visit and to watch a football game.

if the B12 adds, i'd like to see memphis and colorado state, IF those two can get their **** together.

SDSU is too far, and boise has burned too many bridges - plus, BSU isn't the fball darling that it was a few years ago - its not worth the baggage it brings (think texas lite)

I agree that CSU and Memphis would be my first two choices and logical additions. CSU isn't really any different than schools like Oklahoma State or Kansas State from a institutional profile standpoint and they certainly have a higher ceiling than they have shown recently.

Memphis makes sense for a lot of reasons.
12-03-2021 08:56 AM
Cowboy Frog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
I Like So Florida and Boise …..But, I have heard that Utah and the Arizona Schools would like to escape the “Left Coast” …..

12-03-2021 08:59 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-03-2021 08:56 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

I agree that CSU and Memphis would be my first two choices and logical additions. CSU isn't really any different than schools like Oklahoma State or Kansas State from a institutional profile standpoint and they certainly have a higher ceiling than they have shown recently.

I know from following realignment for a decade you traditional BXII schools have a soft spot for the state of Colorado, but as a fan of a school that has had to fight and scratch its way to respectability over the past two decades (and still barely receiving any) to me CSU has not done enough "on the field" to earn an invite. Moreover, has anyone ever watched a CSU football game? Their TV ratings are comparable to the AAC schools with smaller fan bases. IF the BXII were to add again down the line, there are other schools who would bring more to the table.
12-03-2021 09:54 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2021 08:59 AM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  I Like So Florida and Boise …..But, I have heard that Utah and the Arizona Schools would like to escape the “Left Coast” …..

I very much doubt that the do. They may be frustrated with the PAC-12's TV deal (which will still be larger than ours once it's renegotiated), but the schools rely on California for recruiting athletes and more importantly, for recruiting students. Plus they are allied with elite academic institutions like Cal, Stanford, and UCLA.
12-03-2021 11:14 AM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

(12-03-2021 09:54 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(12-03-2021 08:56 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

I know from following realignment for a decade you traditional BXII schools have a soft spot for the state of Colorado, but as a fan of a school that has had to fight and scratch its way to respectability over the past two decades (and still barely receiving any) to me CSU has not done enough "on the field" to earn an invite. Moreover, has anyone ever watched a CSU football game? Their TV ratings are comparable to the AAC schools with smaller fan bases. IF the BXII were to add again down the line, there are other schools who would bring more to the table.
Right but you have to add schools on their potential, not their immediate results. Colorado State has the best facilities in the MWC, has great academics, a fanbase that shows up when they’re good, a built in P5 rivalry game with Colorado, and is the clear #2 team in a solid state. Also helps that they essentially make a bridge to BYU. Everything is set there except on field results, which should come in time. Their TV ratings should improve when they don’t field a horrible team.
12-03-2021 11:51 AM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(12-03-2021 08:59 AM)Cowboy Frog Wrote:  I Like So Florida and Boise …..But, I have heard that Utah and the Arizona Schools would like to escape the “Left Coast” …..

No to Boise. They're Texas lite as someone else stated. Memphis, USF or CSU are better adds from current non-P5 candidates.
12-04-2021 08:10 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't want Boise either. Memphis, Col State, and USF would be my first 3 to consider.
12-04-2021 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.