Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

i'm proud of where we are
Bookmark and Share
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Drexel
i'm proud of where we are
i'm just taking a minute here to show my appreciation to drexel for making some changes a number of years ago and being patient with them. their hand was probably forced because the bottom fell out...but it's nice to have a team worth watching. i know it's early in the season and a lot can go wrong. at least guys can shoot the ball without fear of getting yanked immediately. there's just a better atmosphere around the team especially now that we've improved the roster (not to discredit guys who kept us afloat during the transition).

it's appreciated because i think most sports organizations fall into 2 categories...

1. squarely mediocre...making no effort trying to be more than mediocre...while trying sell us that they actually have a change to be great. every philadelphia sports team falls into this category right now. the eagles are fine with being just good enough to get us interested while having too many holes to be a legit contender. today the holes showed at qb and wr bit them. next week it might be the defense. phillies stink but will sell bryce harper's mvp as a reason to go watch them. sixers and flyers have both failed in their "process" to stock young talent and develop them.

2. self worth is inflated and expectations are too high. the cowboys fall into this category. programs that hire/fire coaches every 2 years also fall into this category. st. joe's comes to mind since they want to be villanova and realistically never will be. since they set their goals too high...they lack the patience that it will take to ever become more than a middle of the pack team.

we're in a refreshing spot where we're willing to be patient and let things play out. we have a coach and team we can be proud of. they seem to do things the right way. i'm excited to see how we progress this season and hope we can back up last season's title with another one under more "normal" circumstances.

and by the way..."normal" involves navigating covid because it's going to be an issue. maybe that gives us an advantage...except i never want to give covid credit for anything because it's evil.
11-28-2021 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IraR Offline
Water Engineer

RE: i'm proud of where we are
(11-28-2021 04:36 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  i'm just taking a minute here to show my appreciation to drexel for making some changes a number of years ago and being patient with them. their hand was probably forced because the bottom fell out...but it's nice to have a team worth watching. i know it's early in the season and a lot can go wrong. at least guys can shoot the ball without fear of getting yanked immediately. there's just a better atmosphere around the team especially now that we've improved the roster (not to discredit guys who kept us afloat during the transition).

it's appreciated because i think most sports organizations fall into 2 categories...

1. squarely mediocre...making no effort trying to be more than mediocre...while trying sell us that they actually have a change to be great. every philadelphia sports team falls into this category right now. the eagles are fine with being just good enough to get us interested while having too many holes to be a legit contender. today the holes showed at qb and wr bit them. next week it might be the defense. phillies stink but will sell bryce harper's mvp as a reason to go watch them. sixers and flyers have both failed in their "process" to stock young talent and develop them.

2. self worth is inflated and expectations are too high. the cowboys fall into this category. programs that hire/fire coaches every 2 years also fall into this category. st. joe's comes to mind since they want to be villanova and realistically never will be. since they set their goals too high...they lack the patience that it will take to ever become more than a middle of the pack team.

we're in a refreshing spot where we're willing to be patient and let things play out. we have a coach and team we can be proud of. they seem to do things the right way. i'm excited to see how we progress this season and hope we can back up last season's title with another one under more "normal" circumstances.

and by the way..."normal" involves navigating covid because it's going to be an issue. maybe that gives us an advantage...except i never want to give covid credit for anything because it's evil.

I totally agree. This is a fun team do watch.
Depth on the bench.
Many reliable shooters and great effort
11-28-2021 04:50 PM
IraR Offline
Water Engineer

I totally agree. This is a fun team to watch
Depth on the bench.
Many reliable shooters.
Hard working and excellent coaching.

The Jacksonville St game wasn't a fair game.
3rd game in 3 days for us and 1st two were really tough.
Jacksonville St had a day off in between.
11-28-2021 04:52 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We have had a team bus break down moving a game, a 3 hour rain delay that led to a game changing venues, a covid cancellation that meant we played a more rested team. Nothing so far this season has even been close to normal conditions to make too many reads on (dont even get me started on the unfurling of the banner). Hopefully things start to balance out to a more normal condition from here on out. We definitely have some talent on this team.
11-29-2021 07:37 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

(11-28-2021 04:36 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  1. squarely mediocre...making no effort trying to be more than mediocre...while trying sell us that they actually have a change to be great. every philadelphia sports team falls into this category right now. the eagles are fine with being just good enough to get us interested while having too many holes to be a legit contender. today the holes showed at qb and wr bit them. next week it might be the defense. phillies stink but will sell bryce harper's mvp as a reason to go watch them. sixers and flyers have both failed in their "process" to stock young talent and develop them.
The Union just made the conference finals! Plenty of room on the bandwagon. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021 02:07 PM by jcohen42.)
11-29-2021 02:07 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(11-29-2021 02:07 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 04:36 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  1. squarely mediocre...making no effort trying to be more than mediocre...while trying sell us that they actually have a change to be great. every philadelphia sports team falls into this category right now. the eagles are fine with being just good enough to get us interested while having too many holes to be a legit contender. today the holes showed at qb and wr bit them. next week it might be the defense. phillies stink but will sell bryce harper's mvp as a reason to go watch them. sixers and flyers have both failed in their "process" to stock young talent and develop them.
The Union just made the conference finals! Plenty of room on the bandwagon. 03-wink

i'm trying. i can't call myself a soccer fan...but we watched the game yesterday and i got tickets for a home game sunday if it happens.

i was listening to angelo on 94 wip while i was running this morning. talking about a good philly team didn't really fit his narrative.
11-29-2021 06:02 PM
J.B. Offline

(11-29-2021 06:02 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  

i'm trying. i can't call myself a soccer fan...but we watched the game yesterday and i got tickets for a home game sunday if it happens.

i was listening to angelo on 94 wip while i was running this morning. talking about a good philly team didn't really fit his narrative.

Talking about soccer doesn't fit the station's narrative, especially the day after an Eagles game. If they start talking soccer, their listeners will go away. Soccer is a minor league niche sport in Philadelphia with a nice little group of followers. I watched the game yesterday, and it was boring for the most part until the shootout. Not sure why they bothered to waste my time with a 30 minute overtime.
11-29-2021 07:51 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

delaware fired their head football coach today. they were 7-1 and made a deep playoff run last spring. they've been suffering the consequences of ditching kc keeler in the early 2000s because one national title wasn't good enough. his name as coming up as the replacement...in classic delaware fashion.
11-29-2021 09:09 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(11-29-2021 07:51 PM)J.B. Wrote:  
(11-29-2021 06:02 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  

Talking about soccer doesn't fit the station's narrative, especially the day after an Eagles game. If they start talking soccer, their listeners will go away. Soccer is a minor league niche sport in Philadelphia with a nice little group of followers. I watched the game yesterday, and it was boring for the most part until the shootout. Not sure why they bothered to waste my time with a 30 minute overtime.

i'll let you take that up with some of the bigger soccer fans around. people don't understand why i like watching race cars go "around and around in a circle". it dawned on me how magnified a missed opportunity in soccer is. you might only get 1 or 2 good chances to score so it's not like hitting a goal post in hockey where you'll be right back in the zone.

it does seem to be becoming more than just a nice group of followers. mls is building something.
11-29-2021 09:12 PM
Advertisement

jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

(11-29-2021 07:51 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Talking about soccer doesn't fit the station's narrative, especially the day after an Eagles game. If they start talking soccer, their listeners will go away. Soccer is a minor league niche sport in Philadelphia with a nice little group of followers. I watched the game yesterday, and it was boring for the most part until the shootout. Not sure why they bothered to waste my time with a 30 minute overtime.

I mean no offense, but saying that they "wasted your time with a 30 minute overtime" shows a pretty clear lack of familiarity with the soccer scene. Just last round, the Union advanced against New York because of a last-minute goal scored in overtime. Not only that, but the overtime was actually a pretty exciting, back-and-forth affair.

I don't need everyone to be a fan of soccer; lord knows everyone has only so much sports bandwidth. But this sort of blatant disregard for the game is what is so tiring.
11-29-2021 11:03 PM
J.B. Offline

(11-29-2021 11:03 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  
(11-29-2021 07:51 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Talking about soccer doesn't fit the station's narrative, especially the day after an Eagles game. If they start talking soccer, their listeners will go away. Soccer is a minor league niche sport in Philadelphia with a nice little group of followers. I watched the game yesterday, and it was boring for the most part until the shootout. Not sure why they bothered to waste my time with a 30 minute overtime.

I mean no offense, but saying that they "wasted your time with a 30 minute overtime" shows a pretty clear lack of familiarity with the soccer scene. Just last round, the Union advanced against New York because of a last-minute goal scored in overtime. Not only that, but the overtime was actually a pretty exciting, back-and-forth affair.

I don't need everyone to be a fan of soccer; lord knows everyone has only so much sports bandwidth. But this sort of blatant disregard for the game is what is so tiring.

I get it. You appreciate the game more than I do. You say "no offense", but I seem to have offended you. I personally don't think that there's a need to play an entire 30 minutes after already playing 90 and nothing gets decided, when the shootout is really exciting. If they can't decided the winner in 90 minutes, I just think that playing 120 is a waste of time.

I've heard people who don't understand baseball try to suggest changes to the game that don't make any sense that they think will make the game more exciting. We're all entitled to our opinions.
11-30-2021 07:42 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(11-30-2021 07:42 AM)J.B. Wrote:  

I get it. You appreciate the game more than I do. You say "no offense", but I seem to have offended you. I personally don't think that there's a need to play an entire 30 minutes after already playing 90 and nothing gets decided, when the shootout is really exciting. If they can't decided the winner in 90 minutes, I just think that playing 120 is a waste of time.

I've heard people who don't understand baseball try to suggest changes to the game that don't make any sense that they think will make the game more exciting. We're all entitled to our opinions.

yeah...i think you and i disagree about extra innings rules. there's no reason to play 13, 15, 20, or however many innings in my opinion. i do think there should be a winner. carp got knocked out of the npb playoffs because they tired the tigers...who were the "winners" just because they were the home team.

just get the game over with though. let the kids run the bases and get everybody home. you may like the drama of that extra baseball just like i'll watch extra racing and others will watch extra soccer. it depends on what you like.
11-30-2021 10:20 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

while i'm at it...the changes to the college football overtime rules are awful. i used to love college overtime. after suffering through 9 overtimes of the penn state-illinois game...i never want to see overtime again. the dumbest part is the change of ends after the 2nd overtime. if you're in overtime because of two inept offenses...you're basically just having a conditioning session of 100 yard run/walks.
11-30-2021 10:22 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2021 10:22 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  if you're in overtime because of two inept offenses...you're basically just having a conditioning session of 100 yard run/walks.

Either team could have stopped that conditioning part at any time. They didnt have to keep flipping sides of the field. We all know why Illinois did (PSU student section), but they didnt have to, just like Penn State didnt have to either. They could have just stayed on one side of the field. With that said, college OT was solid and changing it do a bunch of 2 point conversions was indeed dumb. 2 point conversions aren't football in the sense of truly deciding a winner. At least from the 20 or wherever it was, you have basically a full playbook and decisions to make. From the 2 yard line there are limit choices to make.
11-30-2021 12:23 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(11-30-2021 12:23 PM)dan10 Wrote:  
(11-30-2021 10:22 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  if you're in overtime because of two inept offenses...you're basically just having a conditioning session of 100 yard run/walks.

Either team could have stopped that conditioning part at any time. They didnt have to keep flipping sides of the field. We all know why Illinois did (PSU student section), but they didnt have to, just like Penn State didnt have to either. They could have just stayed on one side of the field. With that said, college OT was solid and changing it do a bunch of 2 point conversions was indeed dumb. 2 point conversions aren't football in the sense of truly deciding a winner. At least from the 20 or wherever it was, you have basically a full playbook and decisions to make. From the 2 yard line there are limit choices to make.

obviously psu will take the student section...and illinois would prefer not to...right?

they both had probably more important things to worry about. like how to run the ball if you're penn state. so your point is taken to that end.
11-30-2021 03:20 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

You are correct. I did feel offended. People who don't have interest in certain sports shouldn't suggest changes to make them palatable to them.
11-30-2021 04:17 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU

Fans complain when games are decided by penalty kicks. Some people call penalty kicks luck. I don't think many fans would prefer going straight to penalty kicks. Occasionally soccer has competitions that go straight to penalty kicks. Furthermore, most soccer games can be draws and can't go extra time*. Extra time is only possible if one team needs to advance. In the World Cup, the Group Stage can have draws, and the Knockout Rounds (Round of 16 on) can go extra time. The last three World Cups combined to have 17 Knockout Round games tied after 90, and 7 (41.2 percent) were decided in extra time. If every game needed a winner, some fans would prefer going straight to penalty kicks, but soccer will never change to every game needing a winner. When MLS was created, they had shootouts and did not allow draws.

*Soccer calls it extra time, not overtime. Time added to every 90 minute game by the referee is stoppage time or injury time, and that is not extra time.
12-02-2021 10:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
(12-02-2021 10:12 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  

Fans complain when games are decided by penalty kicks. Some people call penalty kicks luck. I don't think many fans would prefer going straight to penalty kicks. Occasionally soccer has competitions that go straight to penalty kicks. Furthermore, most soccer games can be draws and can't go extra time*. Extra time is only possible if one team needs to advance. In the World Cup, the Group Stage can have draws, and the Knockout Rounds (Round of 16 on) can go extra time. The last three World Cups combined to have 17 Knockout Round games tied after 90, and 7 (41.2 percent) were decided in extra time. If every game needed a winner, some fans would prefer going straight to penalty kicks, but soccer will never change to every game needing a winner. When MLS was created, they had shootouts and did not allow draws.

*Soccer calls it extra time, not overtime. Time added to every 90 minute game by the referee is stoppage time or injury time, and that is not extra time.

Well explained!
12-02-2021 11:18 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i had tickets for the union game sunday but sold them. too many covid cases and they turned out to be really valuable tickets. we'll flip back/forth with the eagles game.
12-03-2021 07:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.