Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brown Update on Realignment within CUSA
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Matt Brown Update on Realignment within CUSA
Matt Brown update on CUSA realignment continues to say no new moves until things firm up with NCAA bylaws and constitution situation

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/conference...l-mailbag/

The thinking goes, early 2022 will bring additional clarity about what the new D-I bylaws and constitution will actually look like, including new information about reclassification and revenue distribution. Should it become clear that FCS teams potentially interested in moving to FBS need to do so right this very second or they will miss their chance, Conference USA could have a stronger candidate pool than they might if they added a team next week.

With nine teams, there's not a huge push to add another team just to add one. The league's next media deal isn't expected to be very lucrative, and adding a 10th team for no reason could just dilute that money even more. But, if in say, late April, a high potential FCS program became available, that could change the league's calculus.

I do not expect UConn or UMass to join Conference USA in 2022. I also have been told it's pretty unlikely for the league to add basketball-only affiliate members, such as UT-Arlington or UA Little Rock.
11-22-2021 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
RE: Matt Brown Update on Realignment within CUSA
No basketball only schools sounds good.

Still for all sports teams unless a media deal says differently.
11-22-2021 08:26 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Brown mentions "high potential FCS programs". Due to by-law changes meaning a move needs to be made right away due to restrictions or additional requirements going into effect possibly shortly--guess?- July 1st, 2022?

This would "force" strong interest and bring a much better candidate pool.

The better candidate pool sounds GOOD. But would it really bring out any NEW names?
11-22-2021 11:14 AM
theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-22-2021 11:14 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Brown mentions "high potential FCS programs". Due to by-law changes meaning a move needs to be made right away due to restrictions or additional requirements going into effect possibly shortly--guess?- July 1st, 2022?

The better candidate pool sounds GOOD. But would it really bring out any NEW names?

Well it might force Missouri States hand
11-22-2021 11:29 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Could there still be a SURPRISE school out there?

I just don't know who they would be. Noticed Brown did not give his list of high potential FCS possibles who have been unwilling to make the jump-- so far.

The only name that comes to mind is Missouri State. I suppose we could take another look at schools that have shown some resistance to moving. Anybody got an idea?

Also no need to move on UCONN or UMASS. They are already FBS AND FB Indys-- so they could move a little quicker-- except for scheduling problems. IMO BOTH appear very unlikely at this point.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 11:41 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-22-2021 11:40 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

La Tech to Missouri State-- about 6.5 hours

from WKU------------------- about 6.75 hours

from MT--------------------- about 7.50 hours

I just keep coming back to the same names-- SFA, Chatty, etc..

Chattanooga has been reluctant. Maybe they are a possible IF pushed by the new rules.

The Mocs make a lot of sense:

Facilities-- excellent

Geography-- close to JSU, MT, WKU, not too far from Liberty (MT does not "appear" opposed)

Metro area-- Growing and fairly vibrant-- feeds off tri-state of TN, Ga., Ala.-- MSA headed toward 600,000 pop.

Recruiting base-- TN, GA, Ala at your doorstep

Athletics----- some history of success and support

Do they have the interest, fan support, and Money to make the move??

UCA makes sense geographically-- especially if Mo. St. were to be added-- BUT they do NOT appear ready imo.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 12:12 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-22-2021 11:55 AM
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-22-2021 07:45 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Matt Brown update on CUSA realignment continues to say no new moves until things firm up with NCAA bylaws and constitution situation

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/conference...l-mailbag/

The thinking goes, early 2022 will bring additional clarity about what the new D-I bylaws and constitution will actually look like, including new information about reclassification and revenue distribution. Should it become clear that FCS teams potentially interested in moving to FBS need to do so right this very second or they will miss their chance, Conference USA could have a stronger candidate pool than they might if they added a team next week.

With nine teams, there's not a huge push to add another team just to add one. The league's next media deal isn't expected to be very lucrative, and adding a 10th team for no reason could just dilute that money even more. But, if in say, late April, a high potential FCS program became available, that could change the league's calculus.

I do not expect UConn or UMass to join Conference USA in 2022. I also have been told it's pretty unlikely for the league to add basketball-only affiliate members, such as UT-Arlington or UA Little Rock.

We already know that Arlington is being pursued by the Missouri Valley Conference.
11-22-2021 12:06 PM
sunamiwave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Tulane
If the next CUSA media deal is going to be for peanuts Judy better at the very least better find a media partner that is willing to give CUSA a lot of exposure on linear television.
11-22-2021 12:17 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
FCS programs do not have to declare till June 1 for transition starting y23 and waiting till Spring y22 may provide more time to make financial analysis, I am skeptical the additional 6 months will make a difference in the pool of candidates interested in joining CUSA. If they are either not interested now or not ready now what could possibly change for them in the next 6 months?
11-22-2021 12:55 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

Media deal: unless CUSA are relying on media partners to select expansion candidates I don’t see how waiting helps them. Would CUSA offer media bidders that sort of power over conference membership?
11-22-2021 01:00 PM
Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UGA & Kennesaw State
(11-22-2021 11:14 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Brown mentions "high potential FCS programs". Due to by-law changes meaning a move needs to be made right away due to restrictions or additional requirements going into effect possibly shortly--guess?- July 1st, 2022?

Kennesaw State
Missouri State
UCA
McNeese State or a couple more of the Texas schools.

Why KS? Huge public university with 42k plus enrollment and good FCS success . But the big thing KS would provide is a platform for CUSA eastern schools to recruit GA. The Eastern Sunbelt schools have all made a good living recruiting GA..App, Coastal, and Troy, along with GSU and Ga Southern all heavily recruit in GA. App and Coastal owe a bunch of their success to GA recruits.

CUSA schools have always heavily recruited Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama, but they have never had much presence in GA which has a large population and some of the best highschool football in the country..
11-22-2021 01:13 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

(11-22-2021 12:55 PM)Huan Wrote:  FCS programs do not have to declare till June 1 for transition starting y23 and waiting till Spring y22 may provide more time to make financial analysis, I am skeptical the additional 6 months will make a difference in the pool of candidates interested in joining CUSA. If they are either not interested now or not ready now what could possibly change for them in the next 6 months?

Simple. If bylaws change making it more difficult to move--- and with a short deadline then schools who were on the fence may jump quickly before the harsher regulations take effect. Also if the CFP revenue distribution shows a big change (up or down) schools could change their attitude.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 02:04 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-22-2021 02:03 PM
Nickleback rules Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(11-22-2021 01:13 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  

Kennesaw State
Missouri State
UCA

Why KS? Huge public university with 42k plus enrollment and good FCS success . But the big thing KS would provide is a platform for CUSA eastern schools to recruit GA. The Eastern Sunbelt schools have all made a good living recruiting GA..App, Coastal, and Troy, along with GSU and Ga Southern all heavily recruit in GA. App and Coastal owe a bunch of their success to GA recruits.

CUSA schools have always heavily recruited Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama, but they have never had much presence in GA which has a large population and some of the best highschool football in the country..

McNeese or SFA would be stellar assets to CUSA and would make swell travel partners for La Tech. La Tech could pack the cane polls and the bus could stop on the Pendleton Bridge on the way to SFA. The boys could fish for crappie (sac-a-lait. to the unwashed masses) It would be relaxing.
11-22-2021 02:09 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

(11-22-2021 02:03 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  
(11-22-2021 12:55 PM)Huan Wrote:  FCS programs do not have to declare till June 1 for transition starting y23 and waiting till Spring y22 may provide more time to make financial analysis, I am skeptical the additional 6 months will make a difference in the pool of candidates interested in joining CUSA. If they are either not interested now or not ready now what could possibly change for them in the next 6 months?

Simple. If bylaws change making it more difficult to move--- and with a short deadline then schools who were on the fence may jump quickly before the harsher regulations take effect. Also if the CFP revenue distribution shows a big change (up or down) schools could change their attitude.

but would CUSA want programs that doesn't want to join but doo so out of desperation?
who might these programs be that would enrich the pool? sounds like kicking the can down the road rather than being pro-active. the big xii did this 5 years ago and the pool is no different.
11-22-2021 05:10 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Sometimes wealthy donors or other school leaders need encouragement since everyone resists change and some are risk averse.

Money, publicity, and future opportunities are factors. Doors closing on those factors are also incentives that promote action.

It seems to be in flux at Missouri State. Some for-- some against. These changes simply give those "for" a stronger argument. Of course it still does not make the decision certain either way.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 05:26 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-22-2021 05:25 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

it is the program that contact the conference.
i can see a few interested programs now that needs some time to arrange their affairs and the conference giving them a deadline. i can see more clarity of who is ready and who isn't to move up in 6 months but i am skeptical the pool would be any better come 22. there were 30 programs interested. more were waiting?
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 05:53 PM by Huan.)
11-22-2021 05:53 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Read post #15 again-- maybe you will understand my assertion about leaders, pressure, and money.
11-22-2021 08:39 PM
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(11-22-2021 01:13 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  

Kennesaw State
Missouri State
UCA

I agree C-USA needs to tap into Georgia and KSU has the operating budget to do it just need to get a waver it expand their stadium
11-22-2021 09:37 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

(11-22-2021 08:39 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Read post #15 again-- maybe you will understand my assertion about leaders, pressure, and money.

I have read it, while possible I don’t think it is probable regarding an uncommitted program making a move in 6 months and significantly expanding the pool beyond the 30+ programs that have contacted CUSA already.

1. It will be easier for fcs to make the transition with any bylaws changes. The ncaa has been more accommodating rather than more strict. A conference can have divisions with less than 12 and host a ccg. An exception to requiring an fbs conference invite for fcs to transition occurred. I just don’t see the ncaa risking anticompetitive liability by making it harder for fcs to transition.

2. The cfp will expand. As a result of the expansion there will be more $ per conference. The amount remains uncertain. However, CUSA should be cautious of any fcs relying on increased cfp payment as the catalyst to transition. If the finances aren’t there now would suggest the program isn’t ready and secure to transition.

3. The cfp may increase its membership max per conference from 10 to 12 or more. No p5 will be at 10; all p5 and g5 will want to raise the limit to 12. CUSA maybe waiting for more details regarding cfp expansion before deciding to expand but this isn’t the same as “CUSA having a stronger candidate pool”

4. Conjecture. Currently the cfp payout is for 10 programs per conference and CUSA currently sit at 9. They are leaving cfp money on the table. Yes the current media deal sucks but it is already better as the split is no longer among 14 members! I wonder if the proposed 10th addition program under consideration is pending CUSA waiting on cfp expansion to see whether the finances make sense to add this program. This would only be applicable if there is significant travel cost with the 10th as it sits outside the current “footprint “. Alternatively 2-3 programs are interested in transitioning together and without significant more cfp money taking them isn’t financially practical for the 9.
11-22-2021 10:03 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
Pathetic…western fans dancing around the answer…there’s no mystery school out there that you may suddenly discover that you’re going to talk into moving up to AVOID EKU.
I can guarantee we are ready, done our homework, have the leadership in place, have plans in place for more work to facilities beyond what’s already been done, and are as ready as, are you kidding me, Tarleton State, along with others some keep pushing, a D2 move up who might be a go at some time in the future and a few others mentioned that you might persuade (maybe you can talk Dixie State into coming on board)…….hell, there’s no reason we are not as ready as JSU, other than they are in the deep southern footprint as a replacement your conference wanted, but that’s it…our basketball is as good or better, our basketball arena is certainly better. Talking about attendance, SH only had just above 7000 against us a few weeks ago on a nice day. I’ve read all these discussions, the pros and cons and there’s no convincing evidence that any school discussed on here, other than North Dakota and Missouri State might be better. UCA…no. On the other hand, if you all want lo be a majority Texas league, that's a horse of a different color, but we played four Texas schools this fall, and that is a long haul from Kentucky much less points further east.
Like it or not, call it like I see it, it is extremely low class and cowardly to take this stance against EKU. Can't imagine the indignation you all would have felt had UK and Louisville fought your move. Maybe you administration has better sense.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 10:42 PM by LexColonel.)
11-22-2021 10:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.