Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arizona State Toledoans
Bookmark and Share
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Arizona State Toledoans
Arizona State coached by former MAC coach Bobby Hurley has 2 players with Toledo connections, Marreon Jackson and former Rogers player and UT recruit Jamiya Neal. ASU not off to a great start. Lost a tough one tonight at San Diego St with MJ and Neal right in the mix. In the last 2 minutes Marreon missed a 3 in a tie game but grabbed the rebound and hit a 2. SDSU made 1 of 2 free throws and then fouled ASU who missed 2 free throws with a 1 pt lead. SDSU hits a shot to go up 1 and Marreon takes a shot for the lead with 40 seconds to play and misses but steals the ball back and ASU gets another shot for the lead but misses but Marreon grabs the rebound and again misses a shot for the lead. ASU fouls and again SDSU hits 1 of 2 pushing the lead to 2. Marreon pushes it up to Neal for a 3 to win it but he misses. So far, MJ has 1 good game out of 4. Tonight he was 5-18 shooting, missed 10 of 12 threes but had 7 assists to 2 turnovers 7 rebounds and 3 steals.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2021 03:48 AM by pono.)
11-19-2021 03:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Arizona State Toledoans
Marreon says he's dealing with a nagging groin injury.
11-19-2021 10:12 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I had an ex like that.
11-19-2021 11:08 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

ASU seems to be imploding. Scored just 29 points against Washington State - reportedly the fewest points by ASU in almost 75 years. Feel bad for Marreon.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-st...177021254/
12-02-2021 09:16 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

He made a choice. I thought Hurley would be a good coach. Many here thought no. They were right.
12-02-2021 12:08 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
MJ 1-10 1 assist 2 turnovers
12-02-2021 02:43 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
12-02-2021 02:57 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I feel bad for Marreon. Yes - he could've stayed at Toledo but I'm sure he felt like "been there - done that for 4 years" so he had the courage to move on and in his mind, and his agent's mind, better position himself for pro-ball. I applaud him for chasing his dreams. I wish he would've stayed. Would we be a better team with him? That's the debate we maybe should have here since we're off to a good start. I would have preferred Spencer stayed due to his overall game and intensity.

It's going to be a trial by fire for him mentally as revealed in the latest press conference.

I'm a UT fan and only a UT fan and it hurt a little to be stiffed but in this age I have to change my thinking about how all this works and it apparently isn't working well for MJ at this moment in time. I hope ASU's season turns around for his sake. My thoughts are with MJ. TK obviously loved him so there must be some good bones there.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021 03:27 PM by IamN2daRockets!.)
12-02-2021 03:25 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Could Marreon stay closer to home, perhaps on a Big 10 team ? Or at U. of Dayton, UC ? Dayton could have used his experience as they are a young team with lots of unproven talent.
12-02-2021 04:12 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-02-2021 03:25 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  I feel bad for Marreon. Yes - he could've stayed at Toledo but I'm sure he felt like "been there - done that for 4 years" so he had the courage to move on and in his mind, and his agent's mind, better position himself for pro-ball. I applaud him for chasing his dreams. I wish he would've stayed. Would we be a better team with him? That's the debate we maybe should have here since we're off to a good start. I would have preferred Spencer stayed due to his overall game and intensity.

It's going to be a trial by fire for him mentally as revealed in the latest press conference.

I'm a UT fan and only a UT fan and it hurt a little to be stiffed but in this age I have to change my thinking about how all this works and it apparently isn't working well for MJ at this moment in time. I hope ASU's season turns around for his sake. My thoughts are with MJ. TK obviously loved him so there must be some good bones there.

Go Rockets!

This is very well said. Can't wish him anything but the best and hope it all turns out better than it is. I do not see their coach lasting the year, not in today's environment.
12-02-2021 06:45 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-02-2021 03:25 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  I feel bad for Marreon. Yes - he could've stayed at Toledo but I'm sure he felt like "been there - done that for 4 years" so he had the courage to move on and in his mind, and his agent's mind, better position himself for pro-ball. I applaud him for chasing his dreams. I wish he would've stayed. Would we be a better team with him? That's the debate we maybe should have here since we're off to a good start. I would have preferred Spencer stayed due to his overall game and intensity.

Go Rockets!

Right. My perspective all along has been we were a net winner trading MJ for RayJ. Not saying Dennis is better, but he is a better fit for building a balanced roster built around Ryan Rollins whose upside is as high as any Rocket in memory. Dennis doesn't force things, is a very good finisher and has a good pace to his play that I think works well with TK's offensive system.

Marreon had a clear focus on the NBA for the last 2 years. He saw Hurley as a coach w the point guard credentials to get there. Really, he had his pick of strong programs. ASU also had their top returning guard, Remy Martin, transfer out at the last minute after MJ committed. Most likely, if those 2 small but dynamic guards were playing together it would have relieved pressure on MJ to be a big scorer and he would have begun the year better. ASU has played some good teams but has also played poorly against MAC level and lower comp as well.

Hurley hasn't had a big year there yet, so, if this one continues going down the rubbish bin he may be out by March.

And, it is premature, but if that program keeps disintigrating, Jamiya Neal could be in the portal soon. He'd be a good fit for the MAC where he shift between perimeter and inside roles easier than in the PAC12. TK recruited him and his game is suited to our play. I know, I know, not another small forward...

and a final tweet off a highly digruntled ASU board "Bobby Hurley is gonna put himself in the transfer portal
3:44 PM ยท Dec 1, 2021"
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021 07:43 PM by pono.)
12-02-2021 07:34 PM
Advertisement

Lester Offline
Special Teams

Marreon should be playing pro ball in Europe right now. If you're not good enough for the NBA after four years of college ball, a fifth year is highly unlikely to put you over that hump. He had maybe a 12-year pro career ahead of him. He gave up one of those years for a fifth year of playing in college. Also, Marreon's move to ASU implies that you can't make the NBA from the MAC. While our conference hasn't had many players make that leap, I would say it's because we haven't had the players, not because the NBA ignores the MAC.

As to the other question, I have a hard time believing, after what he did for us for four years, that we wouldn't be a better team with Marreon. A fifth year at UT was never in the cards, though.
12-03-2021 07:17 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2021 07:17 AM)Lester Wrote:  Marreon should be playing pro ball in Europe right now. If you're not good enough for the NBA after four years of college ball, a fifth year is highly unlikely to put you over that hump. He had maybe a 12-year pro career ahead of him. He gave up one of those years for a fifth year of playing in college. Also, Marreon's move to ASU implies that you can't make the NBA from the MAC. While our conference hasn't had many players make that leap, I would say it's because we haven't had the players, not because the NBA ignores the MAC.

As to the other question, I have a hard time believing, after what he did for us for four years, that we wouldn't be a better team with Marreon. A fifth year at UT was never in the cards, though.

He would most definitely helped but he would inch towards a role because of the unexpected need to allow Rollins to develop into Marreon's old leader role.

As far as 5th year... IDK, I could have gotten a job right after the BS degree. That grad work was as fun a time at the profession (all the challenge, none of the paperwork, lol) I had as any plus the social aspects. I wouldn't begrudge any Euro pro-prospect a 5th year of college, particularly if it pays for a grad degree.
12-03-2021 12:26 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If he stayed it would have the Marreon Jackson show. He's a ball dominant player. With MJ Rollins has the ball less, shumate shoots less, Milner has less freedom to do his little bit of everything game, and Dennis probably transfers elsewhere. I had fun watching the MJ show for several years but I prefer this unit and having the growth of Ryan Rollins determine our ceiling as a team.
12-03-2021 03:10 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Presuming that comment hypothetical: if he's not going to do what his coach tells him, then I guess he's gone. If he's here, Rollins is too strong for it to be the "Marreon Jackson show." I wouldn't say I thought of him as that type of person or player. So speaking hypothetically. I don't think that's the way it would have gone down if he had stayed if only because I would imagine a meeting of minds would have taken place. Here is how it has to be next year if you stay....

I presume simply, he left because it was time to grow, whether to see the world or to see a different brand of basketball. I can't imagine he was encouraged out for any reason. But I don't know any of the players in the scene personally. He just didn't seem that way on court to me. Regardless how many times I shouted at the screan, "STOP SHOOTING," lol. I do the same with Rollins now.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2021 05:19 PM by eastisbest.)
12-03-2021 05:18 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Marreon still can't get back on track even against Grand Canyon. A respectable 13 pts in 33 minutes but that was on 2-9 shooting, 1-6 on 3s, but 8-8 for free throws!!, 2 assists, 3 steals and 2 turnovers.
12-10-2021 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-03-2021 03:10 PM)pono Wrote:  If he stayed it would have the Marreon Jackson show. He's a ball dominant player. With MJ Rollins has the ball less, shumate shoots less, Milner has less freedom to do his little bit of everything game, and Dennis probably transfers elsewhere. I had fun watching the MJ show for several years but I prefer this unit and having the growth of Ryan Rollins determine our ceiling as a team.

Too bad Littleson didn't hang around for a 5th year. His defense and 3 pt shooting would have complemented Rollins game exquisitely. Hopefully, he is netting a nice payday in Europe.
12-10-2021 09:11 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2021 09:11 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  
(12-03-2021 03:10 PM)pono Wrote:  If he stayed it would have the Marreon Jackson show. He's a ball dominant player. With MJ Rollins has the ball less, shumate shoots less, Milner has less freedom to do his little bit of everything game, and Dennis probably transfers elsewhere. I had fun watching the MJ show for several years but I prefer this unit and having the growth of Ryan Rollins determine our ceiling as a team.

Too bad Littleson didn't hang around for a 5th year. His defense and 3 pt shooting would have complemented Rollins game exquisitely. Hopefully, he is netting a nice payday in Europe.

We sure could use another reliable 3 pt shooter. They can be developed. Maybe not at the catch and shoot variety but reliable if open long enough. I think for now the team has to rely on what they have the skill to do, perimeter defense and paint points.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2021 04:21 PM by eastisbest.)
12-10-2021 10:26 AM
Lester Offline
Special Teams

[quote='eastisbest' pid='17915093' dateline='1638569895']
Presuming that comment hypothetical: if he's not going to do what his coach tells him, then I guess he's gone. If he's here, Rollins is too strong for it to be the "Marreon Jackson show." I wouldn't say I thought of him as that type of person or player. So speaking hypothetically. I don't think that's the way it would have gone down if he had stayed if only because I would imagine a meeting of minds would have taken place. Here is how it has to be next year if you stay....

Yeah, I agree with this, east. I think it's an unwarranted insult to Marreon to presume that he wouldn't have found a way to be a major asset to this team. Certainly if he hopes to play at a higher level he will have to be used to not being "the guy." Of course, if he would have shot as badly for us as he has so far for ASU, then in that case maybe it's not such a great loss after all.
12-10-2021 04:16 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2021 04:16 PM)Lester Wrote:  
(12-03-2021 05:18 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Presuming that comment hypothetical: if he's not going to do what his coach tells him, then I guess he's gone. If he's here, Rollins is too strong for it to be the "Marreon Jackson show." I wouldn't say I thought of him as that type of person or player. So speaking hypothetically. I don't think that's the way it would have gone down if he had stayed if only because I would imagine a meeting of minds would have taken place. Here is how it has to be next year if you stay....
Yeah, I agree with this, east. I think it's an unwarranted insult to Marreon to presume that he wouldn't have found a way to be a major asset to this team. Certainly if he hopes to play at a higher level he will have to be used to not being "the guy." Of course, if he would have shot as badly for us as he has so far for ASU, then in that case maybe it's not such a great loss after all.

I can't even pretend to know what could affect players of that caliber so extremely. More turnovers from tougher competition I get. That might explain the 8 free throws also. But the shootingn problems? Maybe the hoops are smaller out there. I hope he gets it worked out. Would love to see a 4-8, 4-8, 5-5 day out of him.
12-10-2021 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.