Exclamation Football to UTRGV!
11-11-2021 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
RE: Football to UTRGV!
(11-11-2021 02:54 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  https://myrgv.com/local-news/education/u...-to-utrgv/

Excellent. Good news for UTRGV and WAC football.
11-11-2021 03:03 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU
Bummer! Sad day for UTRGV men's soccer and perhaps other men's sports at UTRGV.

I noticed that the referendum did have a lot of additional incentives in it to entice students to vote:
Women's swimming & diving
Marching bands
addition of a spirit program

Finally, it seems to only apply to incoming students who obviously did not get to vote.
"The increase will start in Fall 2022 and affect only incoming students and students outside of UTRGV’s Guarantees Tuition ad Fees program, the University wrote in a news release."
Cleverly done.

Even though I think this is a major mistake, I do hope UTRGV succeeds.
11-11-2021 03:28 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-11-2021 03:28 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  Bummer! Sad day for UTRGV men's soccer and perhaps other men's sports at UTRGV.

I noticed that the referendum did have a lot of additional incentives in it to entice students to vote:
Marching bands

Finally, it seems to only apply to incoming students who obviously did not get to vote.
"The increase will start in Fall 2022 and affect only incoming students and students outside of UTRGV’s Guarantees Tuition ad Fees program, the University wrote in a news release."
Cleverly done.

Why do you think this will impact Men's Soccer?
11-11-2021 03:34 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

(11-11-2021 03:34 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 03:28 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  Bummer! Sad day for UTRGV men's soccer and perhaps other men's sports at UTRGV.

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

Title IX
11-11-2021 03:36 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
What is the goal for football membership?... 8, 10, 12?
11-11-2021 03:38 PM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
Congrats!!
11-11-2021 03:41 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(11-11-2021 03:36 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

Title IX

Marching bands (coed?)

That's probably enough to meet Title IX
11-11-2021 03:44 PM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

Title IX
Are you suggesting that we might drop the whole team, or just that they're going to get systematically shorted on resources, facilities, and attention?

I'm a Title IX ignoramus. I can see that a women's swimming and diving team is not enough to offset an entire football team. On the other hand, there hasn't been any hint given that we were going to drop a men's sport as part of the package. Is it allowable to achieve Title IX balance by (for example) giving some men's teams less than the NCAA max on scholarships?
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 03:49 PM by edinburger.)
11-11-2021 03:45 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Outstanding news for UTRGV and great news for the WAC as well.

This will give the conference seven FCS programs even before backfilling for SHSU. If UIC is added that makes eight. If UIC doesn't want to come or is deemed undesirable then the alternative of adding UTA can at least be considered.
11-11-2021 03:47 PM
edinburger Offline
1st String

(11-11-2021 03:44 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

Title IX

Marching bands (coed?)

That's probably enough to meet Title IX

Do marching bands count toward Title IX? Honest question, I really don't know this stuff. Would there have to be band scholarships for it to count?
11-11-2021 03:55 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Marching Bands and Spirit do not count for Title IX, although with the Spirit/Cheer, that may change

UTRGV could trim schollies from men's existing sports. I think it would be bad optics to drop a sport, since that wasn't stated in the vote.

They are adding one women's sport - Swimming and Diving. The only other current WAC women's Sport UTRGV doesn't sponsor is softball (only WAC school that doesn't) - that would be a logical add. Bowling could be added cheaply as well.
11-11-2021 04:58 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
Viva Los Vaqueros!
11-11-2021 05:08 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

(11-11-2021 03:45 PM)edinburger Wrote:  

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

Title IX
Are you suggesting that we might drop the whole team, or just that they're going to get systematically shorted on resources, facilities, and attention?

I'm a Title IX ignoramus. I can see that a women's swimming and diving team is not enough to offset an entire football team. On the other hand, there hasn't been any hint given that we were going to drop a men's sport as part of the package. Is it allowable to achieve Title IX balance by (for example) giving some men's teams less than the NCAA max on scholarships?
As I understand it, Title IX does not require that equal dollars be spent for men's and women's sports, but it does require that an equal number of athletic scholarships be offered for men and women. Since football requires quite a few scholarships, institutions are sometimes forced to make difficult choices in other men's sports. Either cut a program entirely or try to survive with a competitive disadvantage (i.e, fewer scholarship players). The other option is to add more scholarships for women athletes. Adding more scholarships for women seems to be UTRGV's preferred course of action. I applaud them for that. However, this brings additional costs to the university which sometimes cannot be absorbed leading to a difficult budgetary process where the institution reluctantly needs to cut a men's sport since it cannot afford to have so many scholarships. Soccer is often the first sport that gets placed on the chopping block. Very few mid-major schools have successful football and soccer programs. In fact, very few mid-majors offer both sports.
I am cheering for UTRGV's success, but history would suggest soccer is in danger.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 05:23 PM by DZ1.)
11-11-2021 05:21 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

(11-11-2021 04:58 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Marching Bands and Spirit do not count for Title IX, although with the Spirit/Cheer, that may change

UTRGV could trim schollies from men's existing sports. I think it would be bad optics to drop a sport, since that wasn't stated in the vote.

They are adding one women's sport - Swimming and Diving. The only other current WAC women's Sport UTRGV doesn't sponsor is softball (only WAC school that doesn't) - that would be a logical add. Bowling could be added cheaply as well.
Adding softball would be a great move and help with Title IX.
11-11-2021 05:24 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
This is a huge day for the Western Athletic Conference

While football-playing Sam Houston is now on the move, UTRGV moving from a non-football to a football school gives the league greater flexibility as it assesses the membership landscape knowing that they will have UTRGV in the fold for football.

For the Texas schools, having another bus trip for football and another conference game is HUGE!

Congrats to the folks in the Valley.
11-11-2021 05:49 PM
Advertisement

BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU

Marching bands

Cleverly done.

It's Texas, they will do very well.
11-11-2021 11:13 PM
RallyTheValley Offline
Water Engineer

Great for the region!
11-22-2021 01:53 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
Wonder what their timeline for hiring a coach is.
11-22-2021 01:59 PM
RallyTheValley Offline
Water Engineer

UTSA's quick timeline:
Nov 2008-Feb of 2009 - Head Coach Search/Applicants
March 2009 - Hired Larry Coker
September 2011 - First Game

That's a 3 year timeline.

If UTRGV takes the same route:
~Nov 2022 - Feb 2023 - Head Coach Search
~ Feb/March 2023 - New Coach will be announced
September 2025 - First Game
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 02:12 PM by RallyTheValley.)
11-22-2021 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.