RE: Southern Miss to leave early?
I wasn’t aware that USM was still here
11-10-2021 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-10-2021 08:49 PM)kingcake Wrote:  https://amp.sunherald.com/sports/college...78471.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much more reason to justify the full exit fee. Waive the penalty for the early exit and say, "You're welcome."
11-10-2021 10:31 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I think there's several moving parts that have to be worked out in regards to scheduling with both conferences. Then the question begs is Marshall and ODU going to do the same? If that's the case is there revenue loss for properties leaving in the middle of a media.

I can't answer that because quite honestly I do not know.
11-11-2021 10:17 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
I can tell you that Marshall is working on entering the Sunbelt on July 1st 2022 instead of 2023. I would expect all four schools to be pursuing the same thing. Entering in 2022 also means that the schools would pay approx 1.5 Million in exit fees to CUSA vs the 3 Million that was originally reported. Big savings by entering early. Also keep in mind that the new Sunbelt TV deal starts in 2022 at 2-2.5 Million per school. Yet another reason to leave early.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 10:50 AM by MUHERD76.)
11-11-2021 10:46 AM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
As far as I know, the exit fees are two years revenue. There are two ways to pay this:

1) Stay for the two years and get zero dollars in conference revenue shares
2) Pay the equivalent of two years immediately.
11-11-2021 10:57 AM
Advertisement

forphase1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Yeah, we are trying to move early if we can. We will owe the same to CUSA either way, as there doesn't appear to be any real penalty for leaving earlier, other than having to perhaps pay the distribution money up front. But if we can move to the SBC quicker and start generating that greater revenue, it just makes sense if it can be accomplished. From what I'm hearing it's about 50/50 right now that we leave early.
11-11-2021 11:04 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
(11-11-2021 10:57 AM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  As far as I know, the exit fees are two years revenue. There are two ways to pay this:

That's not correct. Somebody has given you some bad information. That's now how it works. It's only one years revenue (Approx 1.5 Mill) per school if Marshall, Southern Miss and ODU leave a year early. With WKU and MTSU confirmed to be staying, that greatly increases the odds that all three of us leave early and will only be on the hook for $1.5. The good news is that if all three leave early, we will be eligible to receive $2-2.5 from the Sunbelt in our first year so its technically an offset of much smaller loss for the schools that are moving.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 11:17 AM by MUHERD76.)
11-11-2021 11:09 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Leaving early costs more not less. You pay for the priviledge of screwing up scheduling for the conference you are leaving.

Leaving early has always cost more in every instance of conference realignment.
11-11-2021 11:39 AM
forphase1 Offline
1st String

(11-11-2021 11:39 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Leaving early costs more not less. You pay for the priviledge of screwing up scheduling for the conference you are leaving.

It may or may not cost more, depending on the exact language in the by laws. Which I can't find a copy of online anywhere. There are conflicting rumors/reports about the leaving early penalty, if any. But if we are able to start getting the Sun Belt distribution a year earlier, that may offset said penalty. Folks are crunching the numbers, and seeing what can be worked out. But it'd only be the 3 SBC teams, as the AAC isn't ready for the 6 they are adding.
11-11-2021 11:42 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Really don't care who leaves CUSA early for SB or the AAC. But, do I smell a Lawsuit coming? Sounds like somebody is gonna either be fighting over the interpretation of the mandatory EXIT FEES in Mediation or Arbitration or maybe doing battle in a Declaratory Judgment Suit. YIKES!!! On a serious note, hope everybody negotiates an amicable settlement.
11-11-2021 11:52 AM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

(11-11-2021 11:09 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 10:57 AM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  As far as I know, the exit fees are two years revenue. There are two ways to pay this:

That's not correct. Somebody has given you some bad information. That's now how it works. It's only one years revenue (Approx 1.5 Mill) per school if Marshall, Southern Miss and ODU leave a year early. With WKU and MTSU confirmed to be staying, that greatly increases the odds that all three of us leave early and will only be on the hook for $1.5. The good news is that if all three leave early, we will be eligible to receive $2-2.5 from the Sunbelt in our first year so its technically an offset of much smaller loss for the schools that are moving.

So if FIU decided to leave today, we pay $0 to the conference? 05-nono

If my lease says I stay until the end of contract or pay six months rent I cannot say I'll only pay 3 months.
11-11-2021 11:54 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-11-2021 11:39 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Leaving early costs more not less. You pay for the priviledge of screwing up scheduling for the conference you are leaving.

Yes and no.

From what I understand, it still costs USM/Marshall/ODU $3 million or 2 years of distribution. The difference is we still forfeit the 2 years, but for that last year we're actually in a different conference and getting that distribution from that conference.

In a round about way USM/Marshall/ODU is only paying $1.5 (CUSA year 1) and in year 2 CUSA still gets the $1.5 from those three's distributions, but those 3 start getting SBC distribution. That make sense?

The other moving part is the scheduling for both conferences for leaving/incoming schools. That's why it can't happen before July.
11-11-2021 12:04 PM
forphase1 Offline
1st String

So if FIU decided to leave today, we pay $0 to the conference? 05-nono

If my lease says I stay until the end of contract or pay six months rent I cannot say I'll only pay 3 months.
[/quote]

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either, but that seems to be what some are claiming, like the OP linked article. I don't see how we could leave early and owe less money. But in the end it comes down to the details in the contract, and while I know CUSA leadership has been inept, to say the least, I can't imagine they'd be so dumb as to contractually let a team leave early without paying additional penalties. But stranger things have happened.
11-11-2021 12:08 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

(11-11-2021 12:04 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Yes and no.

From what I understand, it still costs USM/Marshall/ODU $3 million or 2 years of distribution. The difference is we still forfeit the 2 years, but for that last year we're actually in a different conference and getting that distribution from that conference.

In a round about way USM/Marshall/ODU is only paying $1.5 (CUSA year 1) and in year 2 CUSA still gets the $1.5 from those three's distributions, but those 3 start getting SBC distribution. That make sense?

The other moving part is the scheduling for both conferences for leaving/incoming schools. That's why it can't happen before July.

Distributions, especially those related to media come from you being in the conference and the conference able to sell your home games. Some conferences have explicit GoR, leave as early as you want, we own your home games until the contract ends.

Clearly CUSA cannot sell your home games if you are not in CUSA (we don't have a GoR) so CUSA has to collect whatever is own before you leave.
11-11-2021 12:14 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-11-2021 12:08 PM)forphase1 Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 11:54 AM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  So if FIU decided to leave today, we pay $0 to the conference? 05-nono

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either, but that seems to be what some are claiming, like the OP linked article. I don't see how we could leave early and owe less money. But in the end it comes down to the details in the contract, and while I know CUSA leadership has been inept, to say the least, I can't imagine they'd be so dumb as to contractually let a team leave early without paying additional penalties. But stranger things have happened.
All depends on how the contract is written.

Now there is a clause that says we must give 14 months of notice which would mean next year sometime, but I'm sure there's jargon in there we're all not privy to.

It's not like the schools are cutting checks either. It's distributions the league/conference gives out. All the leaving schools are forfieting them, meaning we don't get a check from CUSA for the next two years.

There may be something in the contract and bylaws that state if you leave before the notice is up, there's a penalty.. But who knows if it is and what it is.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 12:16 PM by gdunn.)
11-11-2021 12:16 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-11-2021 12:14 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 12:04 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Yes and no.

Distributions, especially those related to media come from you being in the conference and the conference able to sell your home games. Some conferences have explicit GoR, leave as early as you want, we own your home games until the contract ends.

Clearly CUSA cannot sell your home games if you are not in CUSA (we don't have a GoR) so CUSA has to collect whatever is own before you leave.
I don't know how deep it goes. I'm not an AD nor have I read the contract, so I don't know what all it entails. I do know that last week I heard that if we needed to whip out the check book and pay all the exit fees we could, so I'm not sure if this was a reference to exiting early or if distributions wasn't going to be acceptable.
11-11-2021 12:18 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(11-11-2021 10:46 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  I can tell you that Marshall is working on entering the Sunbelt on July 1st 2022 instead of 2023. I would expect all four schools to be pursuing the same thing. Entering in 2022 also means that the schools would pay approx 1.5 Million in exit fees to CUSA vs the 3 Million that was originally reported. Big savings by entering early. Also keep in mind that the new Sunbelt TV deal starts in 2022 at 2-2.5 Million per school. Yet another reason to leave early.

So let me get this straight. You think you guys can leave early and pay/forfeit less of a penalty than if you stay? Good luck with that. 07-coffee3
11-11-2021 12:18 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-11-2021 12:18 PM)freshtop Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 10:46 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  I can tell you that Marshall is working on entering the Sunbelt on July 1st 2022 instead of 2023. I would expect all four schools to be pursuing the same thing. Entering in 2022 also means that the schools would pay approx 1.5 Million in exit fees to CUSA vs the 3 Million that was originally reported. Big savings by entering early. Also keep in mind that the new Sunbelt TV deal starts in 2022 at 2-2.5 Million per school. Yet another reason to leave early.

So let me get this straight. You think you guys can leave early and pay/forfeit less of a penalty than if you stay? Good luck with that. 07-coffee3
It's semantics.. I've stated it above. The $3 million still gets paid due to the distributions, but the schools would technically only lose half due to starting in a new conference early and hopefully getting in on those distributions.
11-11-2021 12:22 PM
Terry49 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ND, BU, UL
(11-11-2021 12:22 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 12:18 PM)freshtop Wrote:  

It's semantics.. I've stated it above. The $3 million still gets paid due to the distributions, but the schools would technically only lose half due to starting in a new conference early and hopefully getting in on those distributions.

OK. I think that I get it. Basically, USM (and presumably MU and ODU) is prepared to "pay" whatever the contract or by laws say, and will attempt to move as soon as possible, either July 1, 2022 or 2023. They hope to receive sufficient monies from the Sun Belt to offset their payments or lost revenue from the CUSA, and if they are fortunate perhaps make some revenue. Of course, CUSA may disagree with USM's figures in which case, it will need to be resolved by agreement or litigation.
11-11-2021 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.