Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hang in there, LTU, FIU, & UTEP!
Bookmark and Share
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
Hang in there, LTU, FIU, & UTEP!
Oh the sharks are circling, all right...but if there's one thing I can't stand to see, it's a bunch of people piling on gleefully when they see someone being victimized.

The truth is that CUSA is still in business today, and it will be tomorrow, and a year from now, and that they'll probably still be in business 2, 5, and 10 years from now, if the remainers and commissioner play their cards right.

For one thing, Liberty and UTEP have a golden opportunity to join a conference. Sure, Liberty could afford to go on as an independent, but there are many advantages to being in a conference, and they might not get another opportunity for a long, long time.

For another, there are at least half a dozen FCS schools that have joined the ASUN or WAC with the intention to upgrade to FBS within a few years.

In addition to that, there are others (e.g., NDSU & SDSU) that would be able to upgrade and would have to give the idea serious thought if invited to join an FBS conference.

Moreover, there are a bunch of FCS schools with plans to move up to FBS in the ASUN or WAC, along with others, such as NDSU and SDSU, that are thought to be ready to make the move:

The Atlantic Sun Wants FBS Football. What’s It Mean For the D1 Landscape?
Omar-Rashon Borja FCS January 30, 2021 3 Minutes
The day after WAC announced their future triumphant return to the college football ranks, the Atlantic Sun announced their intentions to do the same, trying to ultimately reach the FBS-level:

"Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State will be joining full members North Alabama and Kennesaw State to form the six-member league."

https://forgotten5.com/2021/01/30/the-at...landscape/

Reports: WAC football to return in 2022, rise to FBS later in decade

The league will begin at the FCS level, and feature seven initial members: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Southern Utah, Tarleton State and Dixie State. Two more additional members could be added in the coming months.

An official announcement is expected next week.

A person with knowledge of the situation told KTSM that the plan is to transition back to the FBS level at some point in the next decade, ideally within the next five years.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-spor...in-decade/

Truth be told, there are enough FCS schools that are preparing for upgrade to FBS within a few years that they could form an entire conference all by themselves, for example, if the ASUN and WAC were to merge - - and that doesn't include NDSU or SDSU or Missouri St., etc., etc.

So hang in there awhile. Don't let yourselves be browbeaten or intimidated. Stay strong. This thing could work a lot better for you all than going it alone as independents.

11-01-2021 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Hang in there, LTU, FIU, & UTEP!
(11-01-2021 05:30 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Oh the sharks are circling, all right...but if there's one thing I can't stand to see, it's a bunch of people piling on gleefully when they see someone being victimized.

The truth is that CUSA is still in business today, and it will be tomorrow, and a year from now, and that they'll probably still be in business 2, 5, and 10 years from now, if the remainers and commissioner play their cards right.

For one thing, Liberty and UTEP have a golden opportunity to join a conference. Sure, Liberty could afford to go on as an independent, but there are many advantages to being in a conference, and they might not get another opportunity for a long, long time.

For another, there are at least half a dozen FCS schools that have joined the ASUN or WAC with the intention to upgrade to FBS within a few years.

In addition to that, there are others (e.g., NDSU & SDSU) that would be able to upgrade and would have to give the idea serious thought if invited to join an FBS conference.

Moreover, there are a bunch of FCS schools with plans to move up to FBS in the ASUN or WAC, along with others, such as NDSU and SDSU, that are thought to be ready to make the move:

The day after WAC announced their future triumphant return to the college football ranks, the Atlantic Sun announced their intentions to do the same, trying to ultimately reach the FBS-level:

"Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State will be joining full members North Alabama and Kennesaw State to form the six-member league."

The league will begin at the FCS level, and feature seven initial members: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Southern Utah, Tarleton State and Dixie State. Two more additional members could be added in the coming months.

A person with knowledge of the situation told KTSM that the plan is to transition back to the FBS level at some point in the next decade, ideally within the next five years.

Truth be told, there are enough FCS schools that are preparing for upgrade to FBS within a few years that they could form an entire conference all by themselves, for example, if the ASUN and WAC were to merge - - and that doesn't include NDSU or SDSU or Missouri St., etc., etc.

So hang in there awhile. Don't let yourselves be browbeaten or intimidated. Stay strong. This thing could work a lot better for you all than going it alone as independents.

Yep. It will rebuild but it will be starting at the bottom. Only direction from there is up, right? Eyes on the horizon.
11-01-2021 05:33 PM
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(11-01-2021 05:33 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 05:30 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Oh the sharks are circling, all right...but if there's one thing I can't stand to see, it's a bunch of people piling on gleefully when they see someone being victimized.

Yep. It will rebuild but it will be starting at the bottom. Only direction from there is up, right? Eyes on the horizon.

Yes at the bottom, and loading CUSA with a bunch of FCS will take the G5 right along with them. To the bottom if the P-Conferences decide to split. CUSA needs to call it a day and disband. Maybe in a couple of years start again at the FCS level, like WAC did.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 05:53 PM by Johns1124.)
11-01-2021 05:49 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

That's the ticket! I know I'm going to be rooting for your conference for years to come, especially if you bring a couple of those Dakota schools on board!

BTW, there are a lot of us in some of the other G5 conferences who feel we're gonna be restarting up from the bottom too. For example, the AAC got kneecapped and knocked clean off its "P6" perch, and the MAC has never been more than one or two rungs up the ladder.
11-01-2021 05:53 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Who has bashed the remaining schools?

Everyone left Judy, not UTEP, FIU, and Tech.

Also, USM is leaving for a much better home. We were left behind over and over, and YES, we were bashed, laughed at, and ridiculed. So, we won't be feeling guilty for looking out for ourselves.
11-01-2021 05:56 PM
hotrod2001 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Maybe there could be a merger between CUSA and the WAC. If they're intending to become a football conference next year and then eventually move up to FBS within the decade, that could give you a ten-team G5 football conference and a 16-team overall conference. FIU would be an outlier but that would be the case in any probable G5 scenario. But that would give La Tech and UTEP friends in the same geographical area.
11-01-2021 06:03 PM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Offline
All American

(11-01-2021 06:03 PM)hotrod2001 Wrote:  Maybe there could be a merger between CUSA and the WAC. If they're intending to become a football conference next year and then eventually move up to FBS within the decade, that could give you a ten-team G5 football conference and a 16-team overall conference. FIU would be an outlier but that would be the case in any probable G5 scenario. But that would give La Tech and UTEP friends in the same geographical area.

That is some good out-of-the-box thinking, right there. You might just have something. Not enough FCS to FBS teams for three conferences, but might be enough for two...
11-01-2021 06:26 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

(11-01-2021 05:56 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Who has bashed the remaining schools?

Also, USM is leaving for a much better home. We were left behind over and over, and YES, we were bashed, laughed at, and ridiculed. So, we won't be feeling guilty for looking out for ourselves.

I wish you & your team well. My post was written to the FIU, LTU, & UTEP fans.

Your commissioner has been getting one hell of a bashing, it seems to me, and this whole "Judy" business is both disrespectful and misogynistic, bordering in some cases on harassment, in my view.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I was raised to treat "the distaff side" with respect.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 06:31 PM by Milwaukee.)
11-01-2021 06:31 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-01-2021 06:31 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

Your commissioner has been getting one hell of a bashing, it seems to me, and this whole "Judy" business is both disrespectful and misogynistic, bordering in some cases on harassment, in my view.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I was raised to treat "the distaff side" with respect.

Nonsense.
You ought to have seen how people talked about Benson. Or Big 12 fans are talking about Bowlsby now.
11-01-2021 06:37 PM
2009panther Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU

It’s not cause she’s a woman. It’s cause she’s awful. It’s a sports message board - people get upset and they dump on the people in charge. It’s how’s this works.
11-01-2021 06:47 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

(11-01-2021 06:37 PM)bullet Wrote:  

You ought to have seen how people talked about Benson. Or Big 12 fans are talking about Bowlsby now.

You call it "nonsense" (disrespectfully), but I advocate speaking respectfully about a conference commissioner, especially if it's a woman. It's a position of respect.

You tell me it's nonsense, but you're stating that chivalry is nonsense.

I would also consider it disrespectful to refer commissioner Aresco, derisively as "Mike," but when people do that to a lady, I'm gonna stick up for the lady every time.

Some people just seem to have a "tin ear" when it comes to people - men, mostly - speaking about women disrespectfully - - they simply don't "hear" it.
11-01-2021 06:50 PM
Advertisement

Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Judy is the worst commissioner in sports.
As far as I know, she might be offended at you calling her a woman.
Not my business.
I can denigrate her performance honestly. You're the one bringing up gender.
11-01-2021 07:01 PM
hotrod2001 Offline
1st String

(11-01-2021 06:26 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 06:03 PM)hotrod2001 Wrote:  Maybe there could be a merger between CUSA and the WAC. If they're intending to become a football conference next year and then eventually move up to FBS within the decade, that could give you a ten-team G5 football conference and a 16-team overall conference. FIU would be an outlier but that would be the case in any probable G5 scenario. But that would give La Tech and UTEP friends in the same geographical area.

That is some good out-of-the-box thinking, right there. You might just have something. Not enough FCS to FBS teams for three conferences, but might be enough for two...

I wouldn't think it's out of the box thinking seeing there are reports that CUSA officials have been reaching out to at least 4 WAC schools about joining. If Liberty isn't interested in joining and you take FIU out of the equation, CUSA's future is shifting westward. I'm not familiar with the status of the WAC schools, but I know Sam Houston is a perennial FCS powerhouse (and reigning FCS National Champion), NMSU is already FBS and SF Austin typically is a strong program.
11-01-2021 07:03 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I do hope CUSA survives and allows some teams to pursue FBS. The ASUN and WAC teams make sense. However, I don't think current commissioner is up to the task. Even if she was, she is damaged goods. Best thing is for her to resign and find a commissioner willing to come in and straighten this dumpster fire out.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 07:14 PM by msm96wolf.)
11-01-2021 07:05 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(11-01-2021 07:01 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Judy is the worst commissioner in sports.
Not my business.

Judy is just the scapegoat. If UTEP ends up folding under our new president people will say she's the worst president ever without realizing the situation she inherited.
11-01-2021 07:08 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(11-01-2021 07:08 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 07:01 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Judy is the worst commissioner in sports.
Not my business.

Judy is just the scapegoat. If UTEP ends up folding under our new president people will say she's the worst president ever without realizing the situation she inherited.

I was just thinking that the other day. It's true that President Natalicio's main objective was to bring us to Tier One level and she did that but at the cost of our athletics. I truly hope our present prex is doing something...anything constructive at our present predicament. At least she should make sure that we are paid those exit fees and that she is a thorn in the Commish's S to do her job. I know that we can maintain cusa for the future but you can't do it by sitting on your hands.
11-01-2021 07:27 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
It can be rebuilt. Better, stronger and faster. We have the technology. ( insert 6 million dollar man theme )
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021 09:33 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-01-2021 07:36 PM
hotrod2001 Offline
1st String

Brett McMurphy now saying Liberty, Sam Houston, New Mexico State and Jacksonville State are coming to CUSA.
11-01-2021 08:09 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2021 08:09 PM)hotrod2001 Wrote:  Brett McMurphy now saying Liberty, Sam Houston, New Mexico State and Jacksonville State are coming to CUSA.

And away we go!
11-01-2021 09:32 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-01-2021 05:49 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  

Yes at the bottom, and loading CUSA with a bunch of FCS will take the G5 right along with them. To the bottom if the P-Conferences decide to split. CUSA needs to call it a day and disband. Maybe in a couple of years start again at the FCS level, like WAC did.

Such a bitter man. CUSA is in the process of rebuilding and will remain an fbs conference. So bite me.
11-01-2021 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.