UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WKU and MTSU looking closer to a new home in the MAC...
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
WKU and MTSU looking closer to a new home in the MAC...
Guess this guy is legit - haven't read anyone trashing is rep or anything:

Thamel - WKU-MTSU meeting with MAC
10-31-2021 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

RE: WKU and MTSU looking closer to a new home in the MAC...
Thamel is legit and is who broke the cusa 6 to the aac.

Wku and mtsu will be Mac bound if they can make the math work, which espn can do if they choose to do. There is really no reason why espn wouldn’t; this makes their maction package better at virtually no additional cost
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 04:24 PM by DuelingDragon.)
10-31-2021 04:23 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Trying to keep up with conference alignment over this decade may become like watching a replay of Abbot and Costello's "Who's on first" routine. Or trying to count goldfish in an aquarium. Too many moving parts to track. If ESPN does not want to step in and be the "Godfather" type arbiter of the process, how do you know when it is over?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 04:54 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
10-31-2021 04:53 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...I think once all the 'big moves' are done for this cycle (seems like it's about to be done, unless some of the Western schools start to get antsy), the next big thing will be the Playoff expansion, and what is decided upon as to # of teams, autobids, etc.

If we truly end up with only 4 'non-P5' conferences, and there is a 12-spot playoff, I would say that of course the 'Big 5' (hopefully the 'P6' 02-13-banana) will have autobids, then two more spots are for the top two 'non-P5(6)' conferences... that would still leave 5 'at-large' bids, thus the 'big 5' could in theory each have 2 teams in (although I figure the SEC and/or BIG10 will typically get 3 apiece in)...

Once the 'expanded playoff' is set, there could be some more shuffling...
10-31-2021 06:56 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

It will be 6 autobids — the top 6 highest ranked conference champions. There will never be two autobids available for the g4 or 5 or whatever it becomes. The g4 will be lucky if this doesn’t go from 6 to 5 autobids
10-31-2021 07:12 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-31-2021 07:12 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  It will be 6 autobids — the top 6 highest ranked conference champions. There will never be two autobids available for the g4 or 5 or whatever it becomes. The g4 will be lucky if this doesn’t go from 6 to 5 autobids

...yeah, there should be an avenue for ANY conference champ that goes undefeated to get in the playoffs... but I fear that the BIG boys are just going to ultimately close ranks to the point to where they will not play many, if ANY of the 'G5' level teams - I think the SEC might have figured out las t season that they can make a 'all SEC' schedule work - or at least more conference games (will be a slow roll to increase, but once they get to 16, I see at least 9 conference games coming - heck, other conferences have been playing 9 for awhile)... thus limiting the number of 'quality games' available for G5 teams...
10-31-2021 10:52 PM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(10-31-2021 07:12 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  It will be 6 autobids — the top 6 highest ranked conference champions. There will never be two autobids available for the g4 or 5 or whatever it becomes. The g4 will be lucky if this doesn’t go from 6 to 5 autobids

or 4
11-01-2021 05:37 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(11-01-2021 05:37 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

or 4

Or none. I don't see the conferences being able to agree on any changes.
11-01-2021 08:13 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't even believe the current proposed model of the CFP will stay as is. The autobids will most certainly decrease and I am not even sure 12 teams will stay intact. I can see a scenario where they go to 8 teams first then maybe 12 teams in 10 years.
11-01-2021 08:16 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

There is very little support for 8 teams. It doesn't increase ESPN's payout by a single penny. The SEC is vehemently against 8, and so are the G5s. The only people pushing 8 are those leagues upset by the SEC's secret pull of UT and OU.
11-01-2021 08:32 AM
kdblazer Offline
All American

What is wrong with going with conference champions? If they're are not going to use that as the number 1 metric why even have a conference championship game?
11-02-2021 10:37 AM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Brett McMurphy@Brett_McMurphy

No final decision on Western Kentucky & Middle Tennessee to MAC, but sources told @ActionNetworkHQ move depends if MTSU will go. If so, MAC will add both. If MTSU stays in C-USA, MAC likely wouldn’t invite only WKU, sources said. MTSU hang up is financially motivated, source said
11-08-2021 03:50 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(11-08-2021 03:50 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Brett McMurphy@Brett_McMurphy

No final decision on Western Kentucky & Middle Tennessee to MAC, but sources told @ActionNetworkHQ move depends if MTSU will go. If so, MAC will add both. If MTSU stays in C-USA, MAC likely wouldn’t invite only WKU, sources said. MTSU hang up is financially motivated, source said

...yep, from what I have 'gleaned', appears MTSU are getting 'cold feet'... but unless there is a MUUUUCH better media deal pending for C-USA (which is highly doubtful), it seems like a no-brainer to me to make the move... ...I'm wondering if they are thinking they might end up in the Sun Belt instead? MTSU and WKU would fit well in the Belt, but I think there is the 'burnt bridge' thing going on from when they were previously in that conference... ...but not as bad as LaTech's infamous exit from the Belt... their options are pretty much C-USA or Indy...
11-09-2021 10:45 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

info from someone on the MAC conference board ("GlueStix", a WKU fan) - hope this is cool to re-post here:

Listening to Brett McMurphy's Podcast this morning Big Bets On Campus. MAC talk starts at 16 minutes.

Basically...WKU is ready to join the MAC yesterday, MTSU is broke and is not ready to pay exit/entrance fee. MAC will NOT invite only WKU. They can't understand what MTSU is thinking. Also, apparently, ADs around the country are shocked and confused at MTSU. Say it's a clear no brainer.

Yeah, I'm not sure how staying in C-USA at this point is a better deal than a move to the MAC with ESPN... Unless the 'remaining members' of C-USA are being given a bigger percentage of whatever media deal is being cobbled together (which would not be surprising at all) - and that deal roughly equals the 'C-USA exit fees / MAC entry fees / reduced take of the MAC media $$$ as a noob' scenario...
11-09-2021 10:52 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

If MTSU stops this whole thing...Is there a stronger word than "hate"("Hundred miles of hate")?
11-09-2021 10:57 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-09-2021 10:52 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  info from someone on the MAC conference board ("GlueStix", a WKU fan) - hope this is cool to re-post here:

Listening to Brett McMurphy's Podcast this morning Big Bets On Campus. MAC talk starts at 16 minutes.

Basically...WKU is ready to join the MAC yesterday, MTSU is broke and is not ready to pay exit/entrance fee. MAC will NOT invite only WKU. They can't understand what MTSU is thinking. Also, apparently, ADs around the country are shocked and confused at MTSU. Say it's a clear no brainer.

Yeah, I'm not sure how staying in C-USA at this point is a better deal than a move to the MAC with ESPN... Unless the 'remaining members' of C-USA are being given a bigger percentage of whatever media deal is being cobbled together (which would not be surprising at all) - and that deal roughly equals the 'C-USA exit fees / MAC entry fees / reduced take of the MAC media $$$ as a noob' scenario...

I think people familiar with CUSA takes the stance you get out of the conference at all cost without looking at the bigger picture. Yes the MAC is a stable conference with an okay ESPN TV deal if you like playing consistently on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. While I think WKU fits the profile of a MAC school MTSU clearly doesn't. So if MTSU leadership don't think it's a good move for them to move to the MAC considering CUSA will survive the rape it just endured it may be more financially feasible for them to stay.

Now there are definitely questions that will need to be addressed like what direction will CUSA take in regards to their upcoming TV deal and what will happen with Judy but I honestly do not think it is all gloom and doom for the conference. Matter of fact, I think they can get a better TV deal then we have now and potentially can become a two bid basketball league.

They'll be collecting the exit fees money and the basketball credits that remain so they'll have money coming in that MTSU seems like they need badly. WKU may hate it but it's not MTSU job to get them into another conference.
11-09-2021 11:14 AM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Todd Hamilton@ToddoHam

Source tells me Middle Tennessee meeting today to discuss going to MAC. WKU wants to go but MAC wants both schools and a 20 year commitment from each….
11-09-2021 02:50 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

If I'm the MAC, I'd be ticked off at MTSU if I was prodded into offering them a lifeline and then they walk away.
11-09-2021 02:56 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
If I’m WKU and MTSU there’s no way in hell I’m committing to 20 years.
11-09-2021 08:34 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(11-09-2021 08:34 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  If I’m WKU and MTSU there’s no way in hell I’m committing to 20 years.
Carve out an exception like a you would joke about a spouse's dream date. "Sure honey, you can sleep with Brad Pitt." The MAC doesn't want them leaving for the American or Sun Belt and I think that's fair. If MTSU is holding out for an invitation from the Big 12, I think the MAC could be like "Sure honey, I'll let you go out with 'em" and MTSU would pay 5x the buy-out.
11-09-2021 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.