Mid-American Conference exploring expansion with Middle Tennessee State/WKU
10-29-2021 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Mid-American Conference exploring expansion with Middle Tennessee State/WKU
As noted many times, this Blue Raider fan would be very pleased to see MTSU in the MAC.

Thanks for posting, Maize.
10-29-2021 04:36 PM
_sturt_ Offline
Irritant-in-Chief to the Whiny 5% (hehe)

I Root For: competence
Good to hear. Hate to see anyone left behind, and would rather everyone get out of the burning building alive.

But sounds like might be waiting on the fire truck a few weeks...

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 04:40 PM by _sturt_.)
10-29-2021 04:37 PM
_sturt_ Offline
Irritant-in-Chief to the Whiny 5% (hehe)

I Root For: competence
10-29-2021 04:57 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The MAC could use some more sweet tea drinkers in the conference
10-29-2021 05:01 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...yeah I just don't see how the MAC doesn't make this move... I know there are a lot of "up and down" on this happening, but if the money can get ironed out (read: ESPN shuffles some papers), it would seem to be a GREAT move for both sides, as the MAC gains a 'southern tier' which really isn't that far from most MAC schools (it's all relative, sayeth a UAB fan whose team is currently in a division with three 'mid-Texas' and one 'EXTREME west Texas' schools), and would provide new recruiting grounds (maybe not as big of as a deal in the 21st Century, but still) and new markets... of course it would be awesome for WKU and MTSU as well...

...and for the conspiracy folk, it's obviously the last 'phase' of the death blow to C-USA...
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 05:06 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
10-29-2021 05:04 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...and something tells me that WKU and MTSU may well be promoting/working this as a 'team', or at least in SOME concert...
10-29-2021 05:08 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I’ve said in other threads that this makes complete sense to me as a long-term demographic play for the MAC. Leagues are locking things down for what they think will be stasis for the next generation: the short-term TV revenue impact is simply less of a concern compared to the last decade of conference moves.
10-29-2021 05:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-29-2021 04:37 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  Good to hear. Hate to see anyone left behind, and would rather everyone get out of the burning building alive.

But sounds like might be waiting on the fire truck a few weeks...

Its urgent for MTSU and WKU.
10-29-2021 05:26 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...and I can't remember the specific MAC schools, but it's been noted on other spots that a few of them may be exploring dropping down or whatever, at least in football (not sure if the MAC would keep any 'Olympic sports only' schools)... any info on that? If that has 'legs', it may be a factor in the MAC looking to take in new programs to maintain numbers...
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 05:32 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
10-29-2021 05:32 PM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
If this happens, C-USA as an FBS conference no longer exists.

If UMass doesn't capitalize and reach out for an all-sports invite, it might be lights out.

Once this round of realignment ends, I don't see any movement for another decade or so so UMass better put its hat in the ring now.

Army, UConn, Liberty, and NMSU will be fine. I also believe that the three castoffs- UTEP, LaTech, and FIU will be fine as well.
10-29-2021 05:39 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-29-2021 05:39 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  If this happens, C-USA as an FBS conference no longer exists.

If UMass doesn't capitalize and reach out for an all-sports invite, it might be lights out.

Once this round of realignment ends, I don't see any movement for another decade or so so UMass better put its hat in the ring now.

Army, UConn, Liberty, and NMSU will be fine. I also believe that the three castoffs- UTEP, LaTech, and FIU will be fine as well.

I'd think WKU, MTSU, UMass and UConn (FB only, I reckon, perhaps with a few 'annual' bball dates with a few MAC teams) would expand the MAC greatly without really being too far out of footprint... Army, perhaps, but they can hang as an Indy without much effort as compared to a 'non-academy' school...
10-29-2021 06:09 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I think MTSU and WKU make a lot of sense for the MAC. They don't change MAC culture and geographically are reasonable fits and yet also allow for a crucial expanded presence in the upper south, including the Nashville area. I also think existing MAC schools would enjoy competing against them.

UMass, however is not.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 06:18 PM by quo vadis.)
10-29-2021 06:11 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
There have been talks that the MAC was not interested in WKU and MTSU. I think the left over of CUSA schools are being pushed by ESPN and forcing the AAC, MAC and SBC to take on baggage.

WAC is also an ESPN contract. ASUN as well.
10-29-2021 06:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
MAC is interested. Would not be surprised to hear ESPN dangling the prospect of more money to the MAC to balance out (and add to) paltry TV funding... plus, better bowl access if CUSA is killed off
10-29-2021 06:19 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-29-2021 05:39 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  If this happens, C-USA as an FBS conference no longer exists.

I feel like it's a little less of an issue for UMass if C-USA disintegrates as an FBS league and there many independents available since that provides a framework to fill out their schedule. It would have been a disaster if the proposed C-USA move from last night fell into place since that would have ended up with just UMass, Army and Notre Dame left as independents.
10-29-2021 06:22 PM
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(10-29-2021 06:11 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I think MTSU and WKU make a lot of sense for the MAC. They don't change MAC culture and geographically are reasonable fits and yet also allow for a crucial expanded presence in the upper south, including the Nashville area. I also think existing MAC schools would enjoy competing against them.

UMass, however is not.

The Minutemen’s time had passed. If WKU and MTSU bolt I suspect that splitting the $55m in exit fees equally between FIU, LA Tech, and UTEP will stave off absolute ruin for those 3 schools for a while, but the Panthers, Hilltoppers and Miners better be nailing down a future independent scheduling alliance with Liberty, NMSU, UMass, UConn, and Army right stat now if they want to survive in the wilderness until the mid 2030’s.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 06:27 PM by CarlSmithCenter.)
10-29-2021 06:26 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Its over Johnny, over!

Currently transitioning from the Denial stage to the Anger stage.

03-banghead
10-29-2021 06:28 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-29-2021 06:19 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  MAC is interested. Would not be surprised to hear ESPN dangling the prospect of more money to the MAC to balance out (and add to) paltry TV funding... plus, better bowl access if CUSA is killed off

What we didn't hear much in the press is the MAC was trying to counter offer Marshall with membership. Marshall I guess was worth expanding the TV money for.

Does the same apply for WKU or MT? I have my doubts on that.

Before the AAC had made its selections but after the SBC story for USM, ODU, MU, JMU broke I would have put the odds of the MAC getting its hands on WKU/MT at no greater than 10%. At this point the chances are much higher, maybe 35%. I said if CUSA was completely knee capped it might happen and that is exactly how things have played out.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2021 06:32 PM by Kit-Cat.)
10-29-2021 06:30 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-29-2021 06:19 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  MAC is interested. Would not be surprised to hear ESPN dangling the prospect of more money to the MAC to balance out (and add to) paltry TV funding... plus, better bowl access if CUSA is killed off

...yeah I didn't even think about bowls... C-USA has at least 6 tie-ins that will be 'transferred' to other conferences... if the MAC just adds one bowl tie-in, it may add enough value to move the needle... although bowls are SO controlled by ESPN at this point I'm not sure how much effect it would ultimately have...

I just think it's interesting that the "MAC exploring expansion with WKU and MTSU" tweets started mere hours after the Marshall to the SBC announcement. It appears from the timing/sequence that perhaps there was a chance that Marshall may have left options open between the Belt and the MAC before their final call...
10-29-2021 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.