Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Possible CBS Sublicense?
Bookmark and Share
Superanjario Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
Possible CBS Sublicense?
I know the current rumors of added exposure and increased money per school. Could part of that be a sublicense of a group of games to CBS like ESPN does for the MAC? With the loss of CUSA, CBSSN is hurting for content. Marshall was always on there 5-6 times a year in football.

I’m happy to be in an ESPN conference, but I actually liked CBSSN compared to ESPN+. It’s more widely distributed than you think and the production value is quite good.

A sub of a game a week or so would be awesome in addition to the other alleged increase. It could be done in a way that didn’t hurt ESPN’s options, too.
10-27-2021 05:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Possible CBS Sublicense?
If it means more games on actual tv then I am okay with it
10-27-2021 09:57 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
CBSSN isn't losing CUSA. Yall or any other team don't leave until 2023. CUSA will have backfilled by then and the media deal will be up for renegotiation by then.
10-27-2021 10:10 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-27-2021 10:10 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  CBSSN isn't losing CUSA. Yall or any other team don't leave until 2023. CUSA will have backfilled by then and the media deal will be up for renegotiation by then.

But would ESPN allow the Sun Belt to sub-license to get more content on National TV? I think most agree that the CBSSN broadcast beats ESPN+ and is comparable to ESPN. Resch is the issue, not quality.
10-27-2021 10:14 AM
MusicEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-27-2021 10:14 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 10:10 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  CBSSN isn't losing CUSA. Yall or any other team don't leave until 2023. CUSA will have backfilled by then and the media deal will be up for renegotiation by then.

But would ESPN allow the Sun Belt to sub-license to get more content on National TV? I think most agree that the CBSSN broadcast beats ESPN+ and is comparable to ESPN. Resch is the issue, not quality.

I would think that if there is additional interest from other networks in broadcasting SBC content, our best response in good faith with ESPN should be to go to them and see if they would like to expand to add more SBC content rather than the competition. If they are satisfied and do not want to add any more SBC content, then I think it is fair game to have a secondary contract for broadcasting games. In order to maintain the good relationship with ESPN, I think it is just important to be sure they always get "first dibs" on SBC content.
10-27-2021 10:25 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
I think that’s ESPN’s decision. They own broadcasting rights and can sell those games. Probably requires the OK from the league and teams but why would we turn down an linear game for a streaming game? It might be the way of the future with ESPN owning so much content, other providers just buy games from them to fill in as needed rather than sign more lengthy contracts with conferences.
10-27-2021 11:32 AM
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU

CBSSN sublicenses MAC games from ESPN.

Quote:DETROIT, Mich. – The Mid-American Conference announced today a multi-year extension with CBS Sports to televise MAC football and basketball games through the 2022-23 season on CBS Sports Network. The deal, which is a four-year extension from the original deal signed in the 2015-16 season, continues through a sublicense agreement with ESPN.

CBS Sports Network will air a maximum of 12 football and 12 men’s basketball games annually, along with televising the MAC Men’s Basketball Tournament Semifinals and the MAC Women’s Basketball Tournament Championship from Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/7/2...nsion.aspx

I would think ESPN would be open to a similar arrangement with the Sun Belt.
10-27-2021 12:00 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2021 12:00 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  

CBSSN sublicenses MAC games from ESPN.

Quote:DETROIT, Mich. – The Mid-American Conference announced today a multi-year extension with CBS Sports to televise MAC football and basketball games through the 2022-23 season on CBS Sports Network. The deal, which is a four-year extension from the original deal signed in the 2015-16 season, continues through a sublicense agreement with ESPN.

CBS Sports Network will air a maximum of 12 football and 12 men’s basketball games annually, along with televising the MAC Men’s Basketball Tournament Semifinals and the MAC Women’s Basketball Tournament Championship from Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/7/2...nsion.aspx

I would think ESPN would be open to a similar arrangement with the Sun Belt.

If Sun Belt viewership continues to explode and there is demand from CBSSN, I'm sure ESPN may listen. However they've already expanded our media deal once this year and it's believed that yet another expansion will be signed in 2022. We don't know what they deal looks like but we know that there is a deal.

Possible that it already includes CBSSN and we aren't aware. All we've been made aware of is the payout and number of games increasing to match the new AAC programs.
10-27-2021 03:44 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
I have no problem with this as long as the games can still be watched on an ESPN platform live.
10-27-2021 03:57 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2021 03:57 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  I have no problem with this as long as the games can still be watched on an ESPN platform live.

I think that the point is to get more games on TV, not take games off of TV. So if ESPN wants to broadcast App State - Marshall, but also wants Southern Miss - Louisiana, they can let CBSSN take one and an ESPN Linear Channel take the other. The rest are on ESPN+, or mid-week games, or whatever.

Either way, the goal is to end up with more Saturday televised games and this accomplishes that goal.
10-27-2021 03:59 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-27-2021 05:53 AM)Superanjario Wrote:  I know the current rumors of added exposure and increased money per school. Could part of that be a sublicense of a group of games to CBS like ESPN does for the MAC? With the loss of CUSA, CBSSN is hurting for content. Marshall was always on there 5-6 times a year in football.

I’m happy to be in an ESPN conference, but I actually liked CBSSN compared to ESPN+. It’s more widely distributed than you think and the production value is quite good.

A sub of a game a week or so would be awesome in addition to the other alleged increase. It could be done in a way that didn’t hurt ESPN’s options, too.

Another thing some might not realize is a majority of ESPN+ games are coordinated and produced by the host school. When USM does ESPN+ games for football the annoucers are our women's basketball radio guy as well as a former USM QB. For men's and women's basketball games we host for ESPN+ the annoucers are our football radio analyst and a former USM men's basketball player. With CBSSN you are getting truly unbiased annoucers...but at the same time i do like our own ESPN+ announcers as they usually have more insight on the teams as they've watched them throughout the season at practices and games whereas the CBSSN announcers don't always have the most accurate information as they are there usually just the day before the game.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2021 04:02 PM by usm99.)
10-27-2021 04:00 PM
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Maybe we can convince CBSSN to pick up a game a week or so in place of C-USA haha.
10-27-2021 04:13 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(10-27-2021 03:59 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 03:57 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  I have no problem with this as long as the games can still be watched on an ESPN platform live.

I think that the point is to get more games on TV, not take games off of TV. So if ESPN wants to broadcast App State - Marshall, but also wants Southern Miss - Louisiana, they can let CBSSN take one and an ESPN Linear Channel take the other. The rest are on ESPN+, or mid-week games, or whatever.

Either way, the goal is to end up with more Saturday televised games and this accomplishes that goal.

True but some of us do not get CBSSN and with ESPN having the contract for the games if they sell the game to another platform that game should also be available on the watchESPN platform.
10-27-2021 04:15 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-27-2021 05:53 AM)Superanjario Wrote:  I know the current rumors of added exposure and increased money per school. Could part of that be a sublicense of a group of games to CBS like ESPN does for the MAC? With the loss of CUSA, CBSSN is hurting for content. Marshall was always on there 5-6 times a year in football.

I have watched some CBSSN games and i do agree about the production value of their games. Very good.
10-27-2021 04:30 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
If ESPN can make money off it. They’ll be open to it.
10-27-2021 04:41 PM
GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM
ESPN has all Belt football conference games on its network and all are available on ESPN+ or ESPN3.

Just saw a commercial for ESPN+ on facebook where they say there will be Cusa football games on + each week. This is a surprise. May be only one game per week.
10-27-2021 07:08 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-27-2021 07:08 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  ESPN has all Belt football conference games on its network and all are available on ESPN+ or ESPN3.

Just saw a commercial for ESPN+ on facebook where they say there will be Cusa football games on + each week. This is a surprise. May be only one game per week.

Most all of CUSA games are on ESPN+ or ESPN3 that aren’t picked up by other partners. The advantage beyond linear ESPN channels vs. CBSSN on Facebook or Stadium is other sports on ESPN+. I was very jealous during baseball season how many other conferences games were on there and we had ****.
10-27-2021 08:28 PM
Superanjario Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
(10-27-2021 08:28 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 07:08 PM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  ESPN has all Belt football conference games on its network and all are available on ESPN+ or ESPN3.

Most all of CUSA games are on ESPN+ or ESPN3 that aren’t picked up by other partners. The advantage beyond linear ESPN channels vs. CBSSN on Facebook or Stadium is other sports on ESPN+. I was very jealous during baseball season how many other conferences games were on there and we had ****.

That’s an ODU decision. Marshall puts all soccer matches and most other sports on ESPN+.
10-27-2021 08:48 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Typically our contract gives ESPN the right to sublease. But its never happened before.
10-27-2021 08:53 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

I cant remember a single ODU football or basketball game that hasn't been shown on ESPN+ over the last 2 years, unless it was on another network. The vast majority of our football and basketball games have been there (which sadly means they weren't on TV or Stadium)
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2021 09:13 PM by monarx.)
10-27-2021 09:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.