Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU - Let's discuss future schedules and cancelling games
Bookmark and Share
JamesNathan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
BYU - Let's discuss future schedules and cancelling games
@CitrusUCF invited me here and this is my first post. Lifelong BYU fan. The BYU thread has one post since Christmas 2019, so I figured I'll put this here since I'm curious what other Big XII fans think as well. But until we know more about scheduling and what games BYU will cancel on their future schedules, I'll occasionally post the schedule and what I think and see what you think. Then we'll go to the next year. I'll BOLD the three games and BOLD/ITALICS a fourth that I think they should keep (depending on how many conference games they'll play). So first... 2023:

Tennessee
@ Virginia
@ USU

@ Arkansas
Rice
@ Fresno State
Boise State
USF
UNLV
@ UCF
Southern Utah
@ USC

You don't want to make things too hard, especially since Baylor showed BYU will struggle with depth to start out in the Big XII.. But I think you want to maintain a relationship with the PAC 12. So keep the USC game. They wouldn't cancel the Virginia series when Bronco wanted to, so they need to return that game. USU is a great church Conference weekend tradition. And Tennessee has a name and is SEC, but isn't super tough right now. So might be a weaker opponent that gives some clout to your record. I'd love to keep Arkansas, but I think if you keep USC you can't do them, too. Also, they may be too hard given how they look this year.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 03:50 PM by JamesNathan.)
10-25-2021 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
RE: BYU - Let's discuss future schedules and cancelling games
Met a lot of great BYU fans when y'all came to Waco. Best of luck! Hearing you come in 2023.
10-25-2021 04:09 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Feel like you should have 2 home games and 2 road games

Tennessee
@ Virginia
@ USU
@ Arkansas
Rice
@ Fresno State
Boise State
USF
UNLV
@ UCF
Southern Utah
@ USC
10-25-2021 04:15 PM
JamesNathan Offline
Bench Warmer

Good point. How did I miss that? I think your update is probably the right way to go, then.
10-25-2021 04:56 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Not sure if UCF will keep the usf series in football, as usf has their schedule filled and we do too, at least for the next few years. Will be interesting to see if we can schedule even more games with uf, fsu, and Miami. Supposedly fsu wouldn’t even answer our calls, and our deal with Miami fell through. uf scheduled a 3 game series with us starting in 2024 in the swamp.
10-25-2021 05:57 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(10-25-2021 04:15 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Feel like you should have 2 home games and 2 road games

Tennessee
@ Virginia
@ USU
@ Arkansas
Rice
@ Fresno State
Boise State
USF
UNLV
@ UCF
Southern Utah
@ USC

I’m wagering they do drop the UVA game to keep Utah St and Boise. The Big 12 schedule is going to be plenty hard without adding three P5s to it. Maybe push Tennessee back as well to keep an easier game on the schedule, even FCS Southern Utah. 2023 is going to be a bruising year for all the newcomers.
10-26-2021 11:05 AM
Advertisement

f1do Offline
Special Teams

I'll officially soil myself if BYU plays an 11-P5-game schedule. I mean at that point, who are they trying to show off for? Has anyone in the history of college football played 11 P5 games in a single season?

I think you are going to see the games established from 2023 on in the way BYU wants their Big 12 OOC schedule to look going forward: 1 FCS game, 1 G5 game, 1 P5 game. Bowlsby also has stated the "Big 12 principle" that OOC games be scheduled in the first 4 weeks of the season. I think the "USU on conference weekend game" is replaced by a conference game that BYU tries to get scheduled for Friday. The FCS game appears in September again as a season warmup rather than as a November fixture. Most of the existing schedules are going to need to be moved to the first 4 weeks--which means most teams won't have openings for quite some time. The Stanford/USC Thanksgiving weekend games are not going to remain a fixture like they may have if BYU remained independent. I'm curious to see how many get cancelled vs rescheduled.

Finally, I think BYU gives in and cancels the final 2 games in the Virginia 3-game series as Bronco never wanted it and BYU no longer needs it to fill their schedules.
10-26-2021 01:07 PM
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
If we do a 9 game conference schedule (which I think we will) then the smart move is to schedule 1 p5, 1 g5, and 1 fcs. Cause, as CitrusUCF stated, B12 schedule hard enough.
10-26-2021 01:09 PM
JamesNathan Offline
Bench Warmer

I do think BYU tries to do the 1 P5/1 G5/1 FCS thing, but they may have to stick with the dates they have on the calendar for a while as they may be tough to move around at this point. I was just thinking not all P5 games are created equal, but you're still playing a P5 and that will wear on a team that has a question mark as to how much improvement their recruiting will see as a result of this move to the Big XII. So I guess my thinking is more wishful than reality based.

Also, I keep hearing most conferences are going to 8 game schedules, so I think that once UT and OU are gone that is what we will see. Then it will be interesting with the 3 game strategy listed above what they do with that 4th game each year.
10-26-2021 02:32 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(10-26-2021 01:09 PM)Johnny Incognito Wrote:  If we do a 9 game conference schedule (which I think we will) then the smart move is to schedule 1 p5, 1 g5, and 1 fcs. Cause, as CitrusUCF stated, B12 schedule hard enough.

I hope the Big 12 chooses 8 conference games. With only 12 teams, like the PAC 12, the 9-game schedule guarantees more losses to share within the conference.

With more losses to share, it can negatively affect overall conference rankings. 9 games with only 12 teams can also devalue the CCG because you significantly increase the chances that the CCG is a rematch.

14 teams with 8 conference games works even better. Look at the ACC and SEC:

ACC- division leaders #13 Wake and #17 Pitt miss each other in the regular season...and second-place Virginia (6-2) misses both NC State (5-2) and Clemson (4-3).

SEC - division leaders #1 Georgia and #3 Alabama don't play each other or the next best cross-division teams (#10 Ole Miss and #12 Kentucky, respectively). Ole Mis doesn't play any of the top-3 East division teams.

The scheduling structure helps to maintain nice-and-shiny win-loss records for your top teams, which can pay dividends in the rankings and bowl prospects.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 02:54 PM by YNot.)
10-26-2021 02:51 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'm sure it's been brought up more than once, but why the 9 game conference schedule? It seem like it would put half of the teams at a disadvantage, having an extra road game.
10-27-2021 04:42 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(10-27-2021 04:42 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I'm sure it's been brought up more than once, but why the 9 game conference schedule? It seem like it would put half of the teams at a disadvantage, having an extra road game.

Higher quality TV inventory.
10-27-2021 07:47 AM
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
12 team league produces:
9 game sch = 54 games
8 game sch = 48 games
14 team league produces
9 game sch = 63 games
8 game sch = 56 games
12 team 9 game schedule pretty close to 14 team 8 game schedule….fwiw
10-27-2021 10:42 AM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

Ok, we may have the first indication of a BYU cancelled game:
https://fbschedules.com/uconn-usf-schedu...2023-2028/

The UConn Huskies and the USF Bulls have scheduled a home-and-home football series for the 2023 and 2028 seasons, FBSchedules.com has learned.
A copy of the contract for games with the University of South Florida was obtained from the University of Connecticut via a state Freedom of Information Act request. The contract was executed on May 25, 2021.
In the first game of the series, UConn will host USF at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn., on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023. The series will conclude five seasons later when the Huskies travel to take on the Bulls at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2028.
The USF Bulls previously announced a full non-conference schedule for the 2023 season, which consisted of games at home against Florida A&M (Sept. 9) and Alabama (Sept. 16) and road games at WKU (Sept. 2) and BYU (Oct. 28). One of those games will have to be canceled or postponed, and it will most likely be the contest at BYU since the Cougars are joining the Big 12 in 2023.

Interesting though that the contract announced here was signed on May 25, 2021? That is well before expansion to the Big 12 was announced wasn't it?
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2021 01:02 PM by f1do.)
10-27-2021 01:00 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(10-26-2021 02:51 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 01:09 PM)Johnny Incognito Wrote:  If we do a 9 game conference schedule (which I think we will) then the smart move is to schedule 1 p5, 1 g5, and 1 fcs. Cause, as CitrusUCF stated, B12 schedule hard enough.

I hope the Big 12 chooses 8 conference games. With only 12 teams, like the PAC 12, the 9-game schedule guarantees more losses to share within the conference.

With more losses to share, it can negatively affect overall conference rankings. 9 games with only 12 teams can also devalue the CCG because you significantly increase the chances that the CCG is a rematch.

14 teams with 8 conference games works even better. Look at the ACC and SEC:

ACC- division leaders #13 Wake and #17 Pitt miss each other in the regular season...and second-place Virginia (6-2) misses both NC State (5-2) and Clemson (4-3).

SEC - division leaders #1 Georgia and #3 Alabama don't play each other or the next best cross-division teams (#10 Ole Miss and #12 Kentucky, respectively). Ole Mis doesn't play any of the top-3 East division teams.

The scheduling structure helps to maintain nice-and-shiny win-loss records for your top teams, which can pay dividends in the rankings and bowl prospects.

The Big 12 will probably keep a 9 game schedule because it's less disruptive to more institutions.
10-27-2021 01:05 PM
JamesNathan Offline
Bench Warmer

First, USF got a home game with Alabama? Super impressive.

I wonder if there was some type of swap planned where they would give up the BYU game and UConn would slide in? Otherwise, none of that makes sense because it was even before UT and OU news started swirling. Or is USF planning to do independent? I'd love to hear the story behind that.
10-27-2021 01:09 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(10-27-2021 01:00 PM)f1do Wrote:  Ok, we may have the first indication of a BYU cancelled game:
https://fbschedules.com/uconn-usf-schedu...2023-2028/

The UConn Huskies and the USF Bulls have scheduled a home-and-home football series for the 2023 and 2028 seasons, FBSchedules.com has learned.
A copy of the contract for games with the University of South Florida was obtained from the University of Connecticut via a state Freedom of Information Act request. The contract was executed on May 25, 2021.
In the first game of the series, UConn will host USF at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn., on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023. The series will conclude five seasons later when the Huskies travel to take on the Bulls at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2028.
The USF Bulls previously announced a full non-conference schedule for the 2023 season, which consisted of games at home against Florida A&M (Sept. 9) and Alabama (Sept. 16) and road games at WKU (Sept. 2) and BYU (Oct. 28). One of those games will have to be canceled or postponed, and it will most likely be the contest at BYU since the Cougars are joining the Big 12 in 2023.

Interesting though that the contract announced here was signed on May 25, 2021? That is well before expansion to the Big 12 was announced wasn't it?

A renewal of the the Civil ConFLicT.07-coffee3
10-27-2021 01:09 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
An 8 game schedule would be better. BYU has plenty of games they need to drop so maybe some of their scheduled opponents would be willing to swap out for another Big 12 opponent
10-27-2021 08:38 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't think you will see much before the end of the season.
10-28-2021 07:56 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(10-26-2021 01:07 PM)f1do Wrote:  I'll officially soil myself if BYU plays an 11-P5-game schedule. I mean at that point, who are they trying to show off for? Has anyone in the history of college football played 11 P5 games in a single season?

I think you are going to see the games established from 2023 on in the way BYU wants their Big 12 OOC schedule to look going forward: 1 FCS game, 1 G5 game, 1 P5 game. Bowlsby also has stated the "Big 12 principle" that OOC games be scheduled in the first 4 weeks of the season. I think the "USU on conference weekend game" is replaced by a conference game that BYU tries to get scheduled for Friday. The FCS game appears in September again as a season warmup rather than as a November fixture. Most of the existing schedules are going to need to be moved to the first 4 weeks--which means most teams won't have openings for quite some time. The Stanford/USC Thanksgiving weekend games are not going to remain a fixture like they may have if BYU remained independent. I'm curious to see how many get cancelled vs rescheduled.

Finally, I think BYU gives in and cancels the final 2 games in the Virginia 3-game series as Bronco never wanted it and BYU no longer needs it to fill their schedules.

11 P5 games is being done by West Virginia this year with 9 Big 12 games plus Virginia Tech and Maryland OOC.

If you count Notre Dame, Stanford is playing 12 this year with the 9 game PAC 12 schedule plus Kansas State, Vanderbilt (do they really count?), and Notre Dame.
10-28-2021 08:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.