Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN involvement
Bookmark and Share
SowasheeEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
ESPN involvement
1ESPN heavily involved.
Hearing from sources connected at very high levels to the Southern Miss Athletic Department what many have suspected that ESPN was very much involved. Evidently SBC schools will receive the same payout ($2million per)as the new AAC schools and the SBC will have equal exposure on the ESPN platform.

Process started back in a July when Southern Miss AD met with the SBC and then helped drive the deal sign ESPN.

If this is indeed the case then it’s a no brainer for Marshall and ODU
10-23-2021 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: ESPN involvement
Georgia state’s beat writer has reported similar

I think we’ll get some confirmation of this when league holds their own presser regarding expansion
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 12:00 PM by RamblinRedWolf.)
10-23-2021 11:55 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Would like more, but they’re apparently making some standards for the long haul.
10-23-2021 11:56 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-23-2021 11:55 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Georgia state’s best writer has reported similar

I think we’ll get some confirmation of this when league holds their own presser regarding expansion

Ben Moore, of course.
10-23-2021 11:59 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-23-2021 11:54 AM)SowasheeEagle Wrote:  1ESPN heavily involved.
Hearing from sources connected at very high levels to the Southern Miss Athletic Department what many have suspected that ESPN was very much involved. Evidently SBC schools will receive the same payout ($2million per)as the new AAC schools and the SBC will have equal exposure on the ESPN platform.

Process started back in a July when Southern Miss AD met with the SBC and then helped drive the deal sign ESPN.

If this is indeed the case then it’s a no brainer for Marshall and ODU

There's your answer to why a SBC school might refuse an AAC invite.

State fans don't have to think Charlie Cobb is a great AD, but he's no idiot.
10-23-2021 12:04 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I said from day 1 of this whole saga that no Belt team was going to the AAC. ESPN is the reason for that. There is no underestimating their role is all of this
10-23-2021 12:09 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-23-2021 12:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I said from day 1 of this whole saga that no Belt team was going to the AAC. ESPN is the reason for that. There is no underestimating their role is all of this

Which is why it's funny when ESPN "reports" on these moves when they are the ones holding all of the cards.

Personally, I don't mind CBSSN. I wish the Sun Belt could have games on CBSSN as well as ESPN. Unfortunately that's not how it works.
10-23-2021 12:18 PM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall
(10-23-2021 12:18 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 12:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I said from day 1 of this whole saga that no Belt team was going to the AAC. ESPN is the reason for that. There is no underestimating their role is all of this

Which is why it's funny when ESPN "reports" on these moves when they are the ones holding all of the cards.

Personally, I don't mind CBSSN. I wish the Sun Belt could have games on CBSSN as well as ESPN. Unfortunately that's not how it works.

CBS sports isn't on standard package services for some, such as Sling TV, ESPN is standard on pretty much all services, that's a biggie for some.
10-23-2021 06:31 PM
Unknownghost Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(10-23-2021 06:31 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  

CBS sports isn't on standard package services for some, such as Sling TV, ESPN is standard on pretty much all services, that's a biggie for some.
Could we get 3-5 million? After this realignment deals over we’re going to be the best group of five conference that is shown by ESPN, the values there
10-23-2021 06:33 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-23-2021 06:33 PM)Unknownghost Wrote:  

Could we get 3-5 million? After this realignment deals over we’re going to be the best group of five conference that is shown by ESPN, the values there

Maybe the best on the field (the MWC will have something to say about that), but the AAC names are bigger and therefore worth more. It’s not markets in very case, sometimes it’s brand
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 09:58 PM by monarx.)
10-23-2021 09:45 PM
IslandHerd1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
(10-23-2021 09:45 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Maybe the best on the files (the MWC will have something to say about that), but the AAC names are bigger and therefore worth more. It’s not markets in very case, sometimes it’s brand

ODU fans are still too new to FBS/IA….what AAC team
has a bigger name than App State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Louisiana, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern even? As a Marshall fan, we’ve been peers with both groups and I’m a hell of a lot more excited about SB, wanted it more than the AAC even before news broke about Cinci/FUC/Houston.

ODU has some growing pains ahead and the biggest obstacle that they face is realizing they’re bigger than they perceive even themselves to be, where’s the cocky monarchs that first came to CUSA all uppity and beating their chests?
10-23-2021 09:52 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-23-2021 09:52 PM)IslandHerd1 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 12:18 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Which is why it's funny when ESPN "reports" on these moves when they are the ones holding all of the cards.

Maybe the best on the files (the MWC will have something to say about that), but the AAC names are bigger and therefore worth more. It’s not markets in very case, sometimes it’s brand

has a bigger name than App State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Louisiana, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern even? As a Marshall fan, we’ve been peers with both groups and I’m a hell of a lot more excited about SB, wanted it more than the AAC even before news broke about Cinci/FUC/Houston.

ODU has some growing pains ahead and the biggest obstacle that they face is realizing they’re bigger than they perceive even themselves to be, where’s the cocky monarchs that first came to CUSA all uppity and beating their chests?

Memphis. Temple. ECU. Navy, SMU for sure. Arguably USF, Tulane, Tulsa, Rice, Wichita
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 10:03 PM by monarx.)
10-23-2021 10:02 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

(10-23-2021 12:18 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Which is why it's funny when ESPN "reports" on these moves when they are the ones holding all of the cards.

It will be back soon. Basketball is about to start up and that group is getting their key boards and phone text warmed up. Of course winning a football game helps a lot. We are going on 3 years and no FBS wins.
10-23-2021 10:03 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty

Maybe the best on the field (the MWC will have something to say about that), but the AAC names are bigger and therefore worth more. It’s not markets in very case, sometimes it’s brand

uhhhhh no.....Marshall is the most valuable brand in CUSA. Don't believe me? Look at who gets the most games selected by our Tier 1/2 media partners.

The people who are literally paying money to broadcast CUSA games choose to air more Marshall games than anyone else, and this is every single year. That tells you all you need to know in that regard.
10-23-2021 10:14 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
(10-23-2021 10:02 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 06:31 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  CBS sports isn't on standard package services for some, such as Sling TV, ESPN is standard on pretty much all services, that's a biggie for some.

Memphis. Temple. ECU. Navy, SMU for sure. Arguably USF, Tulane, Tulsa, Rice, Wichita

Navy is the only one who has a bigger brand.

Memphis possibly could be argued they have a bigger brand that is more basketball than football.

ECU is not a bigger brand than Marshall/App/So Miss

App/Marshall/So Miss are bigger brands than Temple/SMU.

Temple is known for being kicked out of the Big East.

SMU is known for the death penalty.

USF/Tulsa/Tulane/Rice.....get serious. They don't have bigger brands than any of the teams previously mentioned.
10-23-2021 10:18 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
SMU is a bigger brand than all of those because of SWC.

I used to have a t-shirt (cousin attended SMU and gave it to me) that read:

Polos
Porches
Ponies

nowhere but SMU!

It was really comfortable, fwiw.
10-23-2021 10:33 PM
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I'm glad that ESPN helped orchestrate the moves they did. Everybody knows Marshall and Southern Miss. I was talking to someone the other day and they knew ODU because they know they have a good basketball program but didn't realize they had football. They had no clue who JMU is but they are a more casual fan of a P5 program.
10-24-2021 12:44 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(10-23-2021 06:31 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  CBS sports isn't on standard package services for some, such as Sling TV, ESPN is standard on pretty much all services, that's a biggie for some.

For football, I'd give you Memphis, Navy and SMU. ECU was equal to Southern Miss and Marshall back in C-USA, though I don't think they ever won the conference? Temple is known for sucking. USF has had one great season. Rice and Tulane might have made the list in the 1950s. Tulsa? Never.
10-24-2021 07:28 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2021 12:44 AM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  I'm glad that ESPN helped orchestrate the moves they did. Everybody knows Marshall and Southern Miss. I was talking to someone the other day and they knew ODU because they know they have a good basketball program but didn't realize they had football. They had no clue who JMU is but they are a more casual fan of a P5 program.

Yeah sadly that's most of the casual P5 fanhood. We have yet to make a splash in the FBS world. Other than that one win vs VT during a 4-8 season we haven't gotten any P5 scalps that bring attention yet. Hopefully we win some soon.
10-24-2021 08:04 AM
SowasheeEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

Well, Southern Miss is 40-21 vs. Memphis , 27-12 vs. ECU, 23-9 vs. Tulane, 3-1 vs. USF, 4-2 vs. SMU, so I would argue with that.
10-24-2021 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.