UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If you’re not in a P5 conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If you’re not in a P5 conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
According to a Group of Five official from the article below:

Realignment scenarios for CUSA and SBC

Quote:Unintended Consequences of Oklahoma & Texas to SEC

The bottom line, as one Group of Five official said, is the non-power leagues have been and always will be at the mercy of the Power Five leagues.

When it’s all completed, the decision of Oklahoma and Texas to move to the SEC will have impacted nearly 15% — 15%! — of the 130 FBS schools and also could result in the demise of a conference.

If — or make that when — the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC decides to expand again, the repercussions will be felt throughout every Group of Five conference.

“I hate to say it,” a Group of Five official said, “but if you’re not in a Power Five conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.”
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2021 01:42 PM by HiddenDragon.)
10-21-2021 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: If you’re not in a P5 conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
This train has been headed down these tracks since 2005, and ever since then it's been a matter of when, not if, the "Power 5" break off from the rest of collegiate sports. The only open question at this point is how large do they want that party to be, and how long does it take to absorb those schools. Once they have the schools they want, they'll pull the trigger and split off from the NCAA

It's only rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic if you think the rest of college sports will evaporate, or if you think your school has a chance of making it into that upper level but isn't yet guaranteed its spot
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2021 01:54 PM by mixduptransistor.)
10-21-2021 01:54 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

RE: If you’re not in a P5 conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
Well UAB's new deck chair comes with a increase in media payout 2-3 fold so that's a win for us in this round. We'll deal with the future as it unfolds.
10-21-2021 01:56 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I believe what he says is correct but at least in the AAC there's the chance we will be thrown a lifeline.
10-21-2021 02:22 PM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
Nothing new or important but the relevant thing to us is there will be more spots available in what is now the P5. I think there will be more open up than just the extra 2 to the Big 12.
10-21-2021 02:35 PM
bamabhoy Offline
Bench Warmer

In my opinion, which is typically wrong, there is 12 spots (really 11 taking Notre Dame out) left to make the cut. Eventually I feel each of the 5 conferences will go to 16, the Big12 isn't just going to give up their spot as a P5. Pac12 will need 4 and are kind of stuck on the west coast so it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Boise St before the Big 12 does. Pac 12 would need to add 4, Big 12 would need to add 4, ACC & Big10 would each need 2 (1 for whichever conference got Notre Dame). Conference Champions with 3 at larges. 8 team playoff. Geographically we are in a good spot for 2 of the 4 P5 conferences that would need additional teams. Just win Baby!
10-21-2021 02:39 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(10-21-2021 02:39 PM)bamabhoy Wrote:  In my opinion, which is typically wrong, there is 12 spots (really 11 taking Notre Dame out) left to make the cut. Eventually I feel each of the 5 conferences will go to 16, the Big12 isn't just going to give up their spot as a P5. Pac12 will need 4 and are kind of stuck on the west coast so it wouldn't surprise me if they go after Boise St before the Big 12 does. Pac 12 would need to add 4, Big 12 would need to add 4, ACC & Big10 would each need 2 (1 for whichever conference got Notre Dame). Conference Champions with 3 at larges. 8 team playoff. Geographically we are in a good spot for 2 of the 4 P5 conferences that would need additional teams. Just win Baby!

I'm really skeptical of them going that large. Someone is going to say that they'll pay top dollar for the top 30-40 teams and that'll be that. Amazon did it during the last round of realignment and conferences balked, but that's where we're headed.
And honestly I can't wait for it to happen. I'll finally be able to enjoy UAB competing at the same level as the remaining 80-90 programs in football, and it'll still include quality names (like everyone in the Big 12, half the SEC, 3/4 of the ACC, etc.). What would be really awesome is if they set up a promotion/relegation system but that's probably too much to ask for.
10-21-2021 03:02 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2021 01:41 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  According to a Group of Five official from the article below:

Realignment scenarios for CUSA and SBC

Quote:Unintended Consequences of Oklahoma & Texas to SEC

The bottom line, as one Group of Five official said, is the non-power leagues have been and always will be at the mercy of the Power Five leagues.

When it’s all completed, the decision of Oklahoma and Texas to move to the SEC will have impacted nearly 15% — 15%! — of the 130 FBS schools and also could result in the demise of a conference.

If — or make that when — the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC decides to expand again, the repercussions will be felt throughout every Group of Five conference.

“I hate to say it,” a Group of Five official said, “but if you’re not in a Power Five conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.”

Probably a G5 official that didn't get chosen for the AAC or MW.
10-21-2021 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
Part of the problem the P5 is going to face being autonomous is simply numbers. If you look at the availability of current TV slots during a 7 days period, a lot of those are taken up by G5 teams. Unless the P5 is willing to play in the middle of the week consistently, play on short weeks and expand their schedule they just won’t won’t be able to fill the inventory needed. You could reduce the tv slots to fill the inventory but something tells me the mouse won’t play that game
10-21-2021 03:15 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I generally agree with the statements.

That said, I'd rather be on a deck chair closer to a lifeboat.
10-21-2021 03:42 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I think the magic number is around 100 programs.
10-21-2021 05:01 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(10-21-2021 03:42 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  I generally agree with the statements.

That said, I'd rather be on a deck chair closer to a lifeboat.

I just pray there are lifeboats on the ship.
10-21-2021 05:04 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If nothing else we're vacationing on a better cruise line.
10-21-2021 10:18 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
IF the P5 conferences leave the NCAA to "go independent", will they continue to be able to count on the "poor relations" of the G5 to fatten their "W" records? The NCAA left under the control of the G5 programs may refuse to play P5 teams as "money games". The P5 programs will have to schedule each other with the added risk of losing more games. Imagine a NC playoff game with a team having 2 or 3 losses.

IF the P5 conferences bolt from the NCAA, the G5 conferences may face serious economic issues that test their resolve. Like those who supported the "Bus Boycott" in December,1955, they may face money problems like the folks in Montgomery faced transportation problems with winter still 3 weeks away. Committing to walking to work instead of riding a warm, dry bus took some serious courage.
10-22-2021 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.