Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FWIW (Useless Rankings): CBS Sports preseason ranks UNCW # 303
Bookmark and Share
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
MyBB FWIW (Useless Rankings): CBS Sports preseason ranks UNCW # 303
CBS Sports Preseason Ranking of All 358 College Basketball Teams

303. UNC Wilmington: The Seahawks lost 11 league games to COVID cancellations last season. Rough. This team brings on eight new players, including the not-so-common "boomerang" transfer: a guy who started at one school, left, and came back. That's Jaylen Fornes, a career 38% 3-point shooter.

Typical, unstudied and uninformed, assessment - but gives you an idea of what the sports writing world knows or thinks (to the extent that it does either one) as the season kicks off.
10-20-2021 05:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: FWIW (Useless Rankings): CBS Sports preseason ranks UNCW # 303
(10-20-2021 05:23 AM)70shawk Wrote:  CBS Sports Preseason Ranking of All 358 College Basketball Teams

303. UNC Wilmington: The Seahawks lost 11 league games to COVID cancellations last season. Rough. This team brings on eight new players, including the not-so-common "boomerang" transfer: a guy who started at one school, left, and came back. That's Jaylen Fornes, a career 38% 3-point shooter.

Typical, unstudied and uninformed, assessment - but gives you an idea of what the sports writing world knows or thinks (to the extent that it does either one) as the season kicks off.

Honestly, unless you have intimate knowledge of the incoming players who transferred in, there is no way to evaluate this team. You can't base it on last year due to Covid shutdowns and injuries, but that's all you have if you're a writer.

On paper we are much bigger overall, and especially at the 4/5 spot. That will help with defense and rebounding. It's easy to forget that we could put up points last year and were second in the CAA in scoring. If we can improve on the boards and on defense, we can close the gap and win some games. We were also competitive in almost every conference game we played. Amazingly, we never played Drexel, NU, JMU, William and Mary or CofC

Lost two games to Towson combined 7 points
Beat Delaware by 7 then lost by 5
Lost to Hofstra by 9 and 6
Lost to Elon by 3

We are going to have the depth to finally press like Siddle will want to, and the size on the back end of the press to defend when the press is broken. We can go really big, but we also have ball handlers and three point threats. This roster leads me to believe we are a top 5 team. No way we finish last.

Shy is our PG, but it's going to be hard to keep an explosive player like Jamarii Thomas on the bench. Siddle may just rest Shy more to get Thomas some PT. I've watched Shy and Thomas go at it against each other in scrimmages, and Thomas doesn't back down an inch. He will bring fire to this team where Shy is more composed. The only problem we have with Shy and Thomas is that neither of them are a real three point threat, so they are both better at PG. I expect we won't have to have any ironman players going 40 minutes like last year.

Okaru was good but very inconsistent last year. He will be challenged by Fornes and Oglesby for PT.

The real question this year will be at the four. Will Siddle go for size and rebounding or will he go for an outside shooter? Does Siddle use Sims at the 3 or 4 spot? What happens to Harvey who can score, but has a slight frame and has a hard time defending bulky players. We may have a problem of too many options this year and figuring out how best to use them and keep everyone happy with PT.

My bet is this will be our best lineup

Phillips 6'2" 180 lbs. Jr.
Oglesby 6'5" 195 lbs. So
Sims 6'6" 210 lbs Sr.
Baker 6'7" 205 lbs Grad
Kelly 6'9" 230 lbs. Jr.

That's a lineup that can score, rebound and defend. Upper classmen. And that kind of size will equal anything we see in the CAA. We can then rotate in Jamarii Thomas, Fornes, Okauru, Harvey and Samb and see almost no dropoff in play, just a drop off in size. Baker and Sims will probably play the most since Sims can play either 3 or 4 and Baker can play either 4 or 5. Then, we are loaded with guards who can play the 2 or 3 spot, with Shy and Thomas rotating at PG.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2021 08:10 AM by 82hawk.)
10-20-2021 08:01 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Well, all people have to go by is what happened last year, plus transfers, plus all the new faces. I think everyone here certainly thinks we will be better but to someone that doesn't follow closely, it looks like a train wreck. If we did end up 303 we'd have huge issues. I'd hope we are at least in the 150-200 range if not better.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2021 08:45 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
10-20-2021 08:45 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2021 08:45 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Well, all people have to go by is what happened last year, plus transfers, plus all the new faces. I think everyone here certainly thinks we will be better but to someone that doesn't follow closely, it looks like a train wreck. If we did end up 303 we'd have huge issues. I'd hope we are at least in the 150-200 range if not better.

That's all they have as sports writers who haven't seen the transfers even in practice. But watching Kelly, Oglesby, Baker, Thomas competing, it's easy to see the talent and size we brought in.
10-20-2021 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-20-2021 10:02 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 08:45 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Well, all people have to go by is what happened last year, plus transfers, plus all the new faces. I think everyone here certainly thinks we will be better but to someone that doesn't follow closely, it looks like a train wreck. If we did end up 303 we'd have huge issues. I'd hope we are at least in the 150-200 range if not better.

That's all they have as sports writers who haven't seen the transfers even in practice. But watching Kelly, Oglesby, Baker, Thomas competing, it's easy to see the talent and size we brought in.

For sure. But, that many new faces doesn't always translate right away, that's the way they look at it. Not saying i agree.
10-20-2021 10:11 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2021 10:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

For sure. But, that many new faces doesn't always translate right away, that's the way they look at it. Not saying i agree.

True. I think it will take some time for them to gel. And that's probably the reason we have a pretty easy schedule OOC. There is going to be a battle for PT between Okauru, Oglesby, Fornes, Harvey, White and Morrissey. White was the least impressive of them to me. I think Fornes is fine being a role player but I don't think the others are.

My gut feeling is that we are going to look good pretty quickly though. There is just a lot of talent on this team, and we aren't lacking in ball handling from the PG spot like last year and we will have size in the post. My real question will be three point shooting. On paper it's there, but can we make it happen on the court?
10-20-2021 11:29 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

True. I think it will take some time for them to gel. And that's probably the reason we have a pretty easy schedule OOC. There is going to be a battle for PT between Okauru, Oglesby, Fornes, Harvey, White and Morrissey. White was the least impressive of them to me. I think Fornes is fine being a role player but I don't think the others are.

My gut feeling is that we are going to look good pretty quickly though. There is just a lot of talent on this team, and we aren't lacking in ball handling from the PG spot like last year and we will have size in the post. My real question will be three point shooting. On paper it's there, but can we make it happen on the court?
10-20-2021 11:29 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-20-2021 11:29 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

Understand the weaker schedule this year, makes perfect sense. I hope to see that improve going forward, for all the winning KK did here, for the most part his OOC schedules were garbage. But, it worked.
10-20-2021 12:02 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

If Hawks can’t win/ strongly compete with this talent, then questions should surface. Only possible stumbling block could be rebounding margin. If that markedly improves along with better ball pressure/defense, expect dramatic improvement. I’m expecting drastic improvement.
10-20-2021 12:33 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Siddle said the team had a practice game last week. Only particular he gave was that they hit 15 threes. He also said he has emphasized to the players that they will have to defend to play.
10-20-2021 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

According to Jeff Goodman we have a scrimmage at Hampton next Saturday.
10-20-2021 03:20 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2021 08:01 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 05:23 AM)70shawk Wrote:  CBS Sports Preseason Ranking of All 358 College Basketball Teams

Honestly, unless you have intimate knowledge of the incoming players who transferred in, there is no way to evaluate this team. You can't base it on last year due to Covid shutdowns and injuries, but that's all you have if you're a writer.

On paper we are much bigger overall, and especially at the 4/5 spot. That will help with defense and rebounding. It's easy to forget that we could put up points last year and were second in the CAA in scoring. If we can improve on the boards and on defense, we can close the gap and win some games. We were also competitive in almost every conference game we played. Amazingly, we never played Drexel, NU, JMU, William and Mary or CofC

Lost to Elon by 3

We are going to have the depth to finally press like Siddle will want to, and the size on the back end of the press to defend when the press is broken. We can go really big, but we also have ball handlers and three point threats. This roster leads me to believe we are a top 5 team. No way we finish last.

Shy is our PG, but it's going to be hard to keep an explosive player like Jamarii Thomas on the bench. Siddle may just rest Shy more to get Thomas some PT. I've watched Shy and Thomas go at it against each other in scrimmages, and Thomas doesn't back down an inch. He will bring fire to this team where Shy is more composed. The only problem we have with Shy and Thomas is that neither of them are a real three point threat, so they are both better at PG. I expect we won't have to have any ironman players going 40 minutes like last year.

Okaru was good but very inconsistent last year. He will be challenged by Fornes and Oglesby for PT.

The real question this year will be at the four. Will Siddle go for size and rebounding or will he go for an outside shooter? Does Siddle use Sims at the 3 or 4 spot? What happens to Harvey who can score, but has a slight frame and has a hard time defending bulky players. We may have a problem of too many options this year and figuring out how best to use them and keep everyone happy with PT.

Oglesby 6'5" 195 lbs. So
Sims 6'6" 210 lbs Sr.
Baker 6'7" 205 lbs Grad
Kelly 6'9" 230 lbs. Jr.

That's a lineup that can score, rebound and defend. Upper classmen. And that kind of size will equal anything we see in the CAA. We can then rotate in Jamarii Thomas, Fornes, Okauru, Harvey and Samb and see almost no dropoff in play, just a drop off in size. Baker and Sims will probably play the most since Sims can play either 3 or 4 and Baker can play either 4 or 5. Then, we are loaded with guards who can play the 2 or 3 spot, with Shy and Thomas rotating at PG.

In fairness to Okauru, last year he was asked to play out of position at PG out of necessity. Siddle was very high on him at the end of last year in regards to him playing at SG this year. Okauru should have a fantastic year and I would think be a lock to start.
10-20-2021 03:27 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2021 03:27 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 08:01 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

Lost to Elon by 3

Oglesby 6'5" 195 lbs. So
Sims 6'6" 210 lbs Sr.
Baker 6'7" 205 lbs Grad
Kelly 6'9" 230 lbs. Jr.

In fairness to Okauru, last year he was asked to play out of position at PG out of necessity. Siddle was very high on him at the end of last year in regards to him playing at SG this year. Okauru should have a fantastic year and I would think be a lock to start.

I thought the same, but there has been talk of Oglesby as a starter.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2021 03:35 PM by 82hawk.)
10-20-2021 03:35 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

It's not who starts, but who finishes that makes the difference. The five on the floor to finish and close out the game means much more to me.
10-21-2021 07:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.