Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Temple
There have been a number of articles concerning Temple's finances and preference for a more regional-based conference. They are clearly isolated in the new AAC. What are the chances they would move to CUSA? Move the savings offset the reduction in AAC revenue?
10-19-2021 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: Temple
"They are clearly isolated in the new AAC." Can you expound on that further? Asking for some friends...
10-19-2021 04:50 PM
Wingdestroyer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Temple
(10-19-2021 04:43 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  There have been a number of articles concerning Temple's finances and preference for a more regional-based conference. They are clearly isolated in the new AAC. What are the chances they would move to CUSA? Move the savings offset the reduction in AAC revenue?

10-19-2021 04:53 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
Why do you care about Temple?
10-19-2021 04:57 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

Less than zer0
10-19-2021 05:15 PM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
MAC would be a more natural fit. But the TV Money that the AAC gets is better than the other G5 leagues.
10-19-2021 05:16 PM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

(10-19-2021 04:43 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  There have been a number of articles concerning Temple's finances and preference for a more regional-based conference. They are clearly isolated in the new AAC. What are the chances they would move to CUSA? Move the savings offset the reduction in AAC revenue?

None whatsoever. There is no better alternative for Temple at this point. Money and exposure too good in the AAC to consider anything else.
10-19-2021 05:28 PM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(10-19-2021 05:28 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  

None whatsoever. There is no better alternative for Temple at this point. Money and exposure too good in the AAC to consider anything else.

Temple is awesome… love having temple and actually added Charlotte and I expect sometime Buffalo gets added…
10-19-2021 05:42 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
Temple's in a tough spot due to its institutional ideology and quirks. We've never had a rah-rah athletic culture as a result of our commuter roots, facility hurdles, administrative decisions and the influence of pro sports in Philadelphia. Football has generally been awful with a few, and i mean a few, blips of any type of success. I was a student during the period when the Owls were kicked out of the Big East and forced briefly into Independence. It also coincided with the slide of the basketball program under Chaney. Obviously those associated with Temple acknowledge both events happened while Adamany was president. He was unfortunately a lost soul when it came to blending successful academics and college athletics at an urban university. He very much brought a "Wayne State Mentality" to Philadelphia which proved to be nearly catastrophic. Arguably was catastrophic....

Basketball still has a a relatively high ceiling but the right pieces need to be in place. I've seen nothing from McKie that suggests he's ready to re-establish Temple as a tournament regular (who actually wins games) and a program that has a steady presence in the Top 25. Temple has not been to the Sweet 16 since 2001 or spent a single week in the AP Top 25 since March 2012.

I just don't see how the AAC will be a sustainable model for Temple moving forward; especially if Memphis and SMU defect. The other schools (and its a combo of our fault and legit geographical/institutional dynamics) simply are not going to move the needle at Temple. In fact, there's already a growing sentiment of how Temple is out place which is justified. That wave of momentum will only pick up steam as reality sets in.

What is the honest average attendance threshold for football remaining at the Linc? 10k? How many people are going to show up on a Wednesday night in the winter to see a so-so Temple team play a team with little national notoriety (history) who hails from 1000+ miles away ? 2,500 to 3,500 people? Enough to fill McGonigle? We haven't been able to recruit that key player that excites the local hoops fan, put a product on the court that also draws the casual observer in or play a steady diet of teams that stir the masses.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021 08:51 PM by TUowl06.)
10-19-2021 08:46 PM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Charlotte to Philly is like a 40 minute flight
10-19-2021 08:50 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(10-19-2021 08:46 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  Temple's in a tough spot due to its institutional ideology and quirks. We've never had a rah-rah athletic culture as a result of our commuter roots, facility hurdles, administrative decisions and the influence of pro sports in Philadelphia. Football has generally been awful with a few, and i mean a few, blips of any type of success. I was a student during the period when the Owls were kicked out of the Big East and forced briefly into Independence. It also coincided with he slide of the basketball program under Chaney. Obviously those associated with Temple acknowledge both events happened while Adamany was president. He was unfortunately a lost soul when it came to blending successful academics and college athletics at an urban university. He very much brought a "Wayne State Mentality" to Philadelphia which proved to be nearly catastrophic. Arguably was catastrophic....

Basketball still has a a relatively high ceiling but the right pieces need to be in place. I've seen nothing from McKie that suggests he's ready to re-establish Temple as a tournament regular (who actually wins games) and a program that has a steady presence in the Top 25. Temple has not been to the Sweet 16 since 2001 or spent a single week in the AP Top 25 since March 2012.

I just don't see how the AAC will be a sustainable model for Temple moving forward; especially if Memphis and SMU defect. The other schools (and its a combo of our fault and legit geographical/institutional dynamics) simply are not going to move the needle at Temple. In fact, there's already a growing sentiment of how Temple is out place which is justified. That wave of momentum will only pick up steam as reality sets in.

What is the honest average attendance threshold for football remaining at the Linc? 10k? How many people are going to show up on a Wednesday night in the winter to see a so-so Temple team play a team with little national notoriety (history) who hails from 1000+ miles away ? 2,500 to 3,500 people? Enough to fill McGonigle? We haven't been able to recruit that key player that excites the local hoops fan or put a product on the court that also draws the casual observer in.

Jeez you mopey Temple fans piss me off. Get a hanky and wipe the snot off your face.
10-19-2021 08:50 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Temple
(10-19-2021 04:57 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  Why do you care about Temple?

He likes spamming boards with worthless topics
10-19-2021 08:53 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
(10-19-2021 08:50 PM)vick mike Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 08:46 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  Temple's in a tough spot due to its institutional ideology and quirks. We've never had a rah-rah athletic culture as a result of our commuter roots, facility hurdles, administrative decisions and the influence of pro sports in Philadelphia. Football has generally been awful with a few, and i mean a few, blips of any type of success. I was a student during the period when the Owls were kicked out of the Big East and forced briefly into Independence. It also coincided with he slide of the basketball program under Chaney. Obviously those associated with Temple acknowledge both events happened while Adamany was president. He was unfortunately a lost soul when it came to blending successful academics and college athletics at an urban university. He very much brought a "Wayne State Mentality" to Philadelphia which proved to be nearly catastrophic. Arguably was catastrophic....

What is the honest average attendance threshold for football remaining at the Linc? 10k? How many people are going to show up on a Wednesday night in the winter to see a so-so Temple team play a team with little national notoriety (history) who hails from 1000+ miles away ? 2,500 to 3,500 people? Enough to fill McGonigle? We haven't been able to recruit that key player that excites the local hoops fan or put a product on the court that also draws the casual observer in.

Jeez you mopey Temple fans piss me off. Get a hanky and wipe the snot off your face.

What did I say that was mopey? As a fellow Temple follower I'd like to hear your honest feedback rather than offering up a snarky retort. Not sure what such an action accomplishes to further the conversation/inquiry into Temple's athletic/institutional future...
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021 08:57 PM by TUowl06.)
10-19-2021 08:56 PM
Advertisement

Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

(10-19-2021 08:53 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 04:57 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  Why do you care about Temple?

He likes spamming boards with worthless topics

Well, Temple is not a worthless topic, but I get your drift. Owls fans, like our other remaining behind brothers, are very disappointed in the turn the league is taking in realignment, but realize theere is no better option. Temple's main mission is to engage more alums and city folk to become part of the fan base. It will be harder with the new add-ons, unless we somehow become the "Boise of the East."
10-19-2021 09:02 PM
Wingdestroyer Offline
Water Engineer

(10-19-2021 08:56 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 08:50 PM)vick mike Wrote:  

What did I say that was mopey? As a fellow Temple follower I'd like to hear your honest feedback rather than offering up a snarky retort. Not sure what such an action accomplishes to further the conversation/inquiry into Temple's athletic/institutional future...

Your whole post WAS kinda mopey….

Temple isn’t a P5 front runner, but dude 5 years ago they won the conference in both football and basketball. It’s proven with the right coaching the Football team can be successful in the AAC. It remains to be seen if McKie can bring the basketball team back on track but I think they are going to surprise. So many people are making far too big of a deal being a geographic outlier. Temple can recruit the kids in football and basketball to compete for conference titles. You do that and you get bowl games and tournament appearances…..as a dude who saw Temple almost quit football, honestly what the hell else do you want?
10-19-2021 09:09 PM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(10-19-2021 08:46 PM)TUowl06 Wrote:  Temple's in a tough spot due to its institutional ideology and quirks. We've never had a rah-rah athletic culture as a result of our commuter roots, facility hurdles, administrative decisions and the influence of pro sports in Philadelphia. Football has generally been awful with a few, and i mean a few, blips of any type of success. I was a student during the period when the Owls were kicked out of the Big East and forced briefly into Independence. It also coincided with the slide of the basketball program under Chaney. Obviously those associated with Temple acknowledge both events happened while Adamany was president. He was unfortunately a lost soul when it came to blending successful academics and college athletics at an urban university. He very much brought a "Wayne State Mentality" to Philadelphia which proved to be nearly catastrophic. Arguably was catastrophic....

What is the honest average attendance threshold for football remaining at the Linc? 10k? How many people are going to show up on a Wednesday night in the winter to see a so-so Temple team play a team with little national notoriety (history) who hails from 1000+ miles away ? 2,500 to 3,500 people? Enough to fill McGonigle? We haven't been able to recruit that key player that excites the local hoops fan, put a product on the court that also draws the casual observer in or play a steady diet of teams that stir the masses.

That is a stunning stat for a program that is top 5 in all time wins.
10-20-2021 08:09 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

Dunphy overstayed his welcome by years
10-20-2021 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.