UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Protective Stadium is about to get a lot busier.
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Protective Stadium is about to get a lot busier.
The USFL will have use of Protective Stadium for up to 40 games, plus three playoff games from about April 15, 2022, to July 3, 2022, at no cost, according to a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding between the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC) and the National Spring Football League (NSFL, which owns the USFL)

The Birmingham Legion are getting games there as well.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/10/usfl-b...ngham.html
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2021 06:17 PM by BlazerMatt.)
10-18-2021 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Protective Stadium is a bout to get a lot busier.
Glad the Legion will play some games at Protective.
10-18-2021 05:55 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk Award
RE: Protective Stadium is a bout to get a lot busier.
A lot of "good faith" stuff in this agreement...
10-18-2021 06:10 PM
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
RE: Protective Stadium is about to get a lot busier.
(10-18-2021 05:40 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The USFL will have use of Protective Stadium for up to 40 games, plus three playoff games from about April 15, 2022, to July 3, 2022, at no cost, according to a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding between the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC) and the National Spring Football League (NSFL, which owns the USFL)

I use to enjoy going to Birmingham Stallions games. In fact, I own a car that was purchased brand new by their star running back, Joe Cribbs. It is a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo that I bought in Houston several years back. It came with a huge stack of paper work going all the way back to the original owner. The guy I bought if from had mentioned that some former Buffalo Bills player owned it. Joe Cribbs played for Auburn and took O J Simpson's place with the Buffalo Bills. I think he played in several Pro Bowls as an all star in the NFL. He eventually sued the Bills in order to be allowed to jump ship to the USFL and play for Birmingham. I think he still lives in the Birmingham area. If any of you know him or ever see him, let him know I have his car if he ever wants to see a picture of it. It is still in great condition.
10-21-2021 09:00 PM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
Birmingham has history with the original USFL and spring leagues of the past
10-21-2021 09:56 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

So how does this really benefit Bham and Protective? Positive advertising? I'm convinced every one of these leagues fails quickly until one succeeds. Us getting a G league team is way more exciting. Can't wait to see those South Bay Lakers in Legacy!
10-21-2021 10:12 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(10-21-2021 09:00 PM)Ramblin Wreck Wrote:  
(10-18-2021 05:40 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The USFL will have use of Protective Stadium for up to 40 games, plus three playoff games from about April 15, 2022, to July 3, 2022, at no cost, according to a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding between the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC) and the National Spring Football League (NSFL, which owns the USFL)

I use to enjoy going to Birmingham Stallions games. In fact, I own a car that was purchased brand new by their star running back, Joe Cribbs. It is a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo that I bought in Houston several years back. It came with a huge stack of paper work going all the way back to the original owner. The guy I bought if from had mentioned that some former Buffalo Bills player owned it. Joe Cribbs played for Auburn and took O J Simpson's place with the Buffalo Bills. I think he played in several Pro Bowls as an all star in the NFL. He eventually sued the Bills in order to be allowed to jump ship to the USFL and play for Birmingham. I think he still lives in the Birmingham area. If any of you know him or ever see him, let him know I have his car if he ever wants to see a picture of it. It is still in great condition.

Joe is a great guy. He also was an assistant coach for UAB Football in the early years.
10-22-2021 07:41 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(10-21-2021 10:12 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  So how does this really benefit Bham and Protective? Positive advertising? I'm convinced every one of these leagues fails quickly until one succeeds. Us getting a G league team is way more exciting. Can't wait to see those South Bay Lakers in Legacy!

Yikes! You'd have to pay me to go see that.
10-22-2021 10:26 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-22-2021 10:26 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 10:12 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  So how does this really benefit Bham and Protective? Positive advertising? I'm convinced every one of these leagues fails quickly until one succeeds. Us getting a G league team is way more exciting. Can't wait to see those South Bay Lakers in Legacy!

Yikes! You'd have to pay me to go see that.

...they noted that all the teams will be 'boarded' (?) in local hotels, and other fees for their 'upkeep' will generally offset the 'up front' money from the City and then some... my fear is that the league pulls...whatever the last league (Iron) did, and fold mid-season... not to be a pessimist, but even the MOST optimistic fan has reservations about 'pro football leagues Birmingham is a part of' at this point... 04-jawdrop
10-22-2021 11:39 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
That’s how I see this going. City let’s them use the stadium for free in return for the league booking all the hotel rooms and promises that the league will reimburse the city for gameday expenses. then the league goes bankrupt and either the city or hotels are on the hook for a ton of money.
10-22-2021 12:43 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Isn't this the "Official, Unofficial, NFL Minor League"...so is fed by NFL (& draft). If they own it, they'll keep it propped up. It only matters in that this is something to make a little more money and add more players.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 08:16 PM by blazr.)
10-22-2021 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
The USFL's purpose was to compete with the NFL from the beginning. The schedule didn't try to coincide with the NFL draft (extending into July) and they were offering salaries that were higher than the NFL. The main problem was instability due to some owners having a lot more money and resources. (A repeat of the WFL) San Antonio was playing their games in a stadium used by high schools while other teams were using NFL stadiums. I'd love to see a rebirth of a USFL that could actually compete with the NFL. The old version came closer than anybody else. On a side note, I think Birmingham had the best logo and mascot by far.
10-22-2021 08:36 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-22-2021 08:36 PM)Ramblin Wreck Wrote:  The USFL's purpose was to compete with the NFL from the beginning. The schedule didn't try to coincide with the NFL draft (extending into July) and they were offering salaries that were higher than the NFL. The main problem was instability due to some owners having a lot more money and resources. (A repeat of the WFL) San Antonio was playing their games in a stadium used by high schools while other teams were using NFL stadiums. I'd love to see a rebirth of a USFL that could actually compete with the NFL. The old version came closer than anybody else. On a side note, I think Birmingham had the best logo and mascot by far.

...we can resurrect the STALLION STOMP!!! 04-rock
10-22-2021 10:17 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

I was thinking about adding a few local HS games to play in the stadium like Carver and Parker.
10-26-2021 03:02 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
During the Magic City Classic press conference on yesterday it was hinted that the Classic would be moved to Progressive in a few years which created all kinds of questions regarding parking and tailgating amongst State and A&M fans. Is there a long term plan for this at Progressive? I keep hearing different things about parking and tailgating areas.
10-28-2021 01:46 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(10-28-2021 01:46 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  During the Magic City Classic press conference on yesterday it was hinted that the Classic would be moved to Progressive in a few years which created all kinds of questions regarding parking and tailgating amongst State and A&M fans. Is there a long term plan for this at Progressive? I keep hearing different things about parking and tailgating areas.

I think once the park under the interstate opens it will present more opportunities for tailgate areas.

Parking is what it is. There are long term plans for a couple of additional parking decks, one immediately northwest of the stadium and one in combination with a third hotel on the site of the current green lot adjacent to Top Golf.
10-28-2021 02:22 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Hopefully Birmingham will catch up with the times at some point and people will realize the best way to go to a game, if you are not tailgating, is to Uber and be let out at the front gate.
10-28-2021 02:30 PM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
(10-28-2021 02:30 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Hopefully Birmingham will catch up with the times at some point and people will realize the best way to go to a game, if you are not tailgating, is to Uber and be let out at the front gate.

I rode the Blazer shuttle over from campus for the Rice game. It was easy and painless to say the least. 5 minutes over to the stadium and a little longer on the way back just because everyone was trying to get on the bus and head home but overall was a good deal and free. Will be doing that again
10-28-2021 02:46 PM
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

(10-28-2021 02:46 PM)UABOG85 Wrote:  
(10-28-2021 02:30 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Hopefully Birmingham will catch up with the times at some point and people will realize the best way to go to a game, if you are not tailgating, is to Uber and be let out at the front gate.

I rode the Blazer shuttle over from campus for the Rice game. It was easy and painless to say the least. 5 minutes over to the stadium and a little longer on the way back just because everyone was trying to get on the bus and head home but overall was a good deal and free. Will be doing that again

My wife and I have done it for all three home games, and we haven't had an issue yet. I am afraid to recommend too much though, because if everyone figures out how easy it is, it probably won't be so easy any more.

And a quick shoutout to former Blazer basketballer rank Haywood, who coordinates the shuttle each week, coming and going.
10-28-2021 02:56 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2

I went to the first game, first time I've ever visited Bham without a car...over the weekend, it was hands down the least reliable Uber experience I've ever had, and I live in a city with pretty poor Uber availability
(if we're talking about a single event, trying to leave Foxboro Stadium was the worst Uber event I've ever experienced)
10-28-2021 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.