Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Practices/Policies We'd Like the SBC to Implement...
Bookmark and Share
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Practices/Policies We'd Like the SBC to Implement...
What are some practices or policies you'd like to the see the Sun Belt implement?

In football, I've thought of the following:

(1) Convince ESPN keep the SBC's nationally televised games to Thursdays and Saturdays. In other words, no more Tuesday or Wednesday night games.

(2) SBC schools should no longer participate in the SEC's November "cupcake week." Because SBC schools participate in this, the casual fans lumps SBC schools into the same category as FCS schools. I know Georgia State is guilty of this and I believe we have a couple of games coming over the next couple of years (LSU comes to mind right now). But, going forward, SBC schools should stand their ground and not schedule these games. Also, avoiding a random non-conference game in November, and keeping non-conference games to the first month or so of the season, would help the SBC have consistent conference schedules. So that every season the fans would know that Week ## of the season would be "[insert SBC opponent] Week."

In basketball:

I know some are not fans of the non-D1 games. I'm not a fan of them either. But with the way the RPI works it might be better to beat a non-D1 than beat an RPI dragging non-conference opponent. But, my mind isn't really made up one way or the other.

What do you think? Anything you'd like to see the SBC implement for its schools/teams?
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 09:15 AM by GaStPanthers.)
10-16-2021 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Practices/Policies We'd Like the SBC to Implement...
Don't have a dog in the fight, but just wanted to mention that RPI is a thing of the past. NET ranking is the new hotness.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men...-explained

I don't know how it treats non-D1 opponents to be honest. I would assume they don't count.
10-16-2021 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I’d like to do a alliance with the AAC, MWC, and MAC where we play a rotating 2 year H/H series in basketball and football with the 3 conferences. Especially MAC and MWC. I like seeing teams I wouldn’t usually see come play.

Maybe do a FCS challenge every few years where each SBC school is paired against a HBCU school for football. Also could do basketball).

Limit non D-1 games to a maximum of one tune up game. Play lower level D-1’s if need be but just perception would be nicer.
10-16-2021 12:47 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Get rid of the MBB tournament.
10-16-2021 12:49 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Funny as it sounds, iirc having no penalty from non-D1 game is actually better than scheduling bad D1 teams in quad 4 ranking..

So the lesson is after the end of OOC, I hope no one in conference is in Q4.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 12:53 PM by GSUALUM17.)
10-16-2021 12:51 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(10-16-2021 12:49 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Get rid of the MBB tournament.

Give the autobid to the regular season winner.

Possible at large bid or NIT bid to the SBC tournament winner.
10-16-2021 12:52 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Unless we play a 22 game league schedule I’m fine with the tournament

I propose a simple change.

If you make the NCAA tournament in basketball you get nothing extra just your costs covered, unless you earn more than one unit. You keep 75% of the second and subsequent units earned for the six years.
10-16-2021 02:17 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(10-16-2021 12:51 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Funny as it sounds, iirc having no penalty from non-D1 game is actually better than scheduling bad D1 teams in quad 4 ranking..

So the lesson is after the end of OOC, I hope no one in conference is in Q4.

The good thing is...I think, anyway...that NET at least only punishes teams for losing vs. low rated opponents, as opposed to RPI which could be wrecked just by stepping on the court vs. a bad team. I could be wrong on that, though.
10-16-2021 04:26 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I actually was telling someone the other day I don’t understand why you play an entire regular season when almost each team makes the tournament. Regular season winner over 18, or 20 games if we were to increase, should be a sample size worthy of crowning a winner. It also avoids tournament upsets which hurts the SBC.
10-16-2021 05:07 PM
panther254 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-16-2021 05:07 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  

I actually was telling someone the other day I don’t understand why you play an entire regular season when almost each team makes the tournament. Regular season winner over 18, or 20 games if we were to increase, should be a sample size worthy of crowning a winner. It also avoids tournament upsets which hurts the SBC.

Idk if they plan on changing the format again but as things stand the difference between 16-4 and 0-20 is a 1 game bye which is just silly, the regular-season losses a ton of meaning. Either give the auto-bid to the regular season champs, toss the whole neutral site thing and give the top seed home-court advantage. I have always had the opinion that on-campus playoff games would be better than sparsely attended games in NOLA or Pensacola. You could also get creative and have something like the regular-season champs play a 3 game series against the winner of a short tournament between the 2-5 seeds.
10-16-2021 05:45 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

For the non-football conferences, the conference basketball tournament is usually the largest money maker for the conference. Obviously this isn't the case in the SBC. Which begs the question, why bother with the expense of the conference tournament? Is the championship game on ESPN worth it?
10-16-2021 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
Sponsor men’s soccer
10-16-2021 08:53 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I think with the right adds we may do that
10-16-2021 08:55 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(10-16-2021 08:48 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  

For the non-football conferences, the conference basketball tournament is usually the largest money maker for the conference. Obviously this isn't the case in the SBC. Which begs the question, why bother with the expense of the conference tournament? Is the championship game on ESPN worth it?

I’d even be fine with the top-2 doing a best of 3 series for the conference championship vs a full fledge tournament. 1 seed can host.
10-16-2021 09:35 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
All of those pay to lose football games that come with a $1million dollar check, also come with that big P5’s basketball team coming to your arena. We want more than your money, we want your uniforms in one of our buildings.
10-16-2021 09:39 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I like that idea. If we are going to have a bball tournament there is really no reason for all 12 teams to go. At least cut it to the top 8. Better yet to the top 6 or even 4
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 10:08 PM by GaSoEagle.)
10-16-2021 10:07 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(10-16-2021 09:14 AM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  What are some practices or policies you'd like to the see the Sun Belt implement?

In football, I've thought of the following:

(1) Convince ESPN keep the SBC's nationally televised games to Thursdays and Saturdays. In other words, no more Tuesday or Wednesday night games.

(2) SBC schools should no longer participate in the SEC's November "cupcake week." Because SBC schools participate in this, the casual fans lumps SBC schools into the same category as FCS schools. I know Georgia State is guilty of this and I believe we have a couple of games coming over the next couple of years (LSU comes to mind right now). But, going forward, SBC schools should stand their ground and not schedule these games. Also, avoiding a random non-conference game in November, and keeping non-conference games to the first month or so of the season, would help the SBC have consistent conference schedules. So that every season the fans would know that Week ## of the season would be "[insert SBC opponent] Week."

In basketball:

I know some are not fans of the non-D1 games. I'm not a fan of them either. But with the way the RPI works it might be better to beat a non-D1 than beat an RPI dragging non-conference opponent. But, my mind isn't really made up one way or the other.

What do you think? Anything you'd like to see the SBC implement for its schools/teams?
I would like us to try to get some games on CBS as well. I understand the importance of E$PN, but I am against them having a monopoly on our games. I wouldn't mind having Facebook simulcast some of our games as well as long as we could view it whenever we wanted. But, we keep contracts with CBS and....the Mouse, unfortunately.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
10-16-2021 10:59 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
SBC needs another conference to make a home/home basketball arrangement with. Not just for a weekend - but for a season. Basketball scheduling is the biggest problem the Sun Belt faces and it needs to be solved.
10-17-2021 03:32 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(10-16-2021 10:07 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I like that idea. If we are going to have a bball tournament there is really no reason for all 12 teams to go. At least cut it to the top 8. Better yet to the top 6 or even 4

This is probably the way to go. It's too easy to point to some upsets in the big dance and say, "See? That never would have happened without letting that team win its conference tournament when it wasn't a top seed." BUT...my guess is it's pretty rare to go too far down in conference seeding and find a team that ultimately pulled off an upset in the dance. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on that, actually. I could be wrong.
10-17-2021 06:55 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Make a policy where all SBC fans must be classier than Tennessee fans, no throwing crap in the fields!!!
10-17-2021 08:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.