Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: If you ran C-USA...
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
OT: If you ran C-USA...
with vultures from the AAC, MW, and SB hovering above, what do you do? Knowing the regionalization plan is going to fail, what do you do to stay viable?
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 08:59 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
10-15-2021 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
RE: OT: If you ran C-USA...
Oh just for poops and giggles, after teams are poached, I would invite Eastern Washington, UMASS, and Northern Arizona and rebrand as the “Four Corners Conference”. That’d grab eyeballs.

>Wakes up from his nightmare<

My apologies. DavidSt entered my subconscience.
10-15-2021 09:37 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(10-15-2021 08:59 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  with vultures from the AAC, MW, and SB hovering above, what do you do? Knowing the regionalization plan is going to fail, what do you do to stay viable?

I don't think there's anything you can do. The Media deal is a joke, the commissioner is a joke. It's just ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 09:44 PM by GreenBison.)
10-15-2021 09:43 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The problem is no one knows who’s staying or going. So how do you address it with the schools???
10-15-2021 10:06 PM
appstate77 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: app state
I'd make sure my retirement options are viable.
10-15-2021 10:11 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-15-2021 08:59 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  with vultures from the AAC, MW, and SB hovering above, what do you do? Knowing the regionalization plan is going to fail, what do you do to stay viable?

I’d get a Bigger Jeep . . .
10-15-2021 10:15 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Akin to, “Youre gonna need a bigger boat.”
10-15-2021 10:20 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-15-2021 10:20 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Akin to, “Youre gonna need a bigger boat.”

EXACTLY . . .
10-15-2021 10:22 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The SLC is also losing members, maybe she needs to write them a letter. They might be open to a reorganization with CUSA.
10-15-2021 10:39 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Lol...well that went well. Of course if things go like it seems it will...you are at the mercy of...everybody.
10-15-2021 10:42 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
I'll take it more seriously. I've learned lessons from previous mistakes in the CUSA. I'm not going to overexpand again. I'm talking to Liberty, JMU, Delaware, Missouri State, and all the top FCS schools. I'm looking for schools with a reasonable chance to actually invest in their products - so no to schools like NMSU, etc.

Teams picked with partly depend on teams leaving and what geography remains, but also, what "niche" can be formed beyond "the new FCS call up league"
10-15-2021 11:29 PM
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I guess I’d wait and see who I had left. I’d try to get a small deal with ESPN and call up whatever FCS schools are willing and have FBS level resources and start trying to grow. I basically would do what Karl Benson had to do.
10-16-2021 12:01 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The first thing you do is act confident in a believable manner

Second thing you do is look at your league the way others look at it, instead of how people looked at it 10 years ago.

You don’t send sniveling letters about realigning.

I’d get my presidents together and tell them the first thing we need to do right now is step ahead of the curve. The AAC-CUSA merger/realignment was dead before it was committed to paper. Be realistic.

I’d tell the presidents we need to strut and show confidence and the first step to that is an announcement that CUSA will waive departure and entry fees for anyone leaving CUSA to join Sun Belt or vice versa if the Sun Belt will do the same, as long as the moves are executed by the end of March because we are confident in the CUSA brand.

I would encourage the eastern division presidents to think hard about which schools they REALLY want to remain affiliated with and advise them to approach Sun Belt as an all or none group applying for membership. Meanwhile I’m busy with the west division telling them to go hard after the Alabama schools, AState, UL and TXST. (Because we know LaTech ain’t jumping on board with ULM) and try to lure them in and maybe try to get WKU and MTSU on board as well.

If that doesn’t spur geographic realignment nothing will.

If that won’t launch then I’m pushing to get Liberty and JMU invited NOW before any other moves happen.
10-16-2021 12:31 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

You do nothing until you see whats left. That map of remains will dictate CUSA's future moves. Honestly---once this all plays out and they see whats left----CUSA may need to make a tough decision when it comes to UTEP. That school may be all thats left between the spread out mess they have now and a small relatively tight mid-to-eastern footprint they told the rest of the G5 they really wanted. I guess they could give them a "your kicked out" timetable----but I suspect its more likely they simply let UTEP know they can stay in the league---but the league will be moving in a new direction that is going to leave UTEP as an extreme outlying island. Then the stay or go decision is UTEP's and the league can largely reduce its travel costs---with the exception of its one outlier.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 02:54 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-16-2021 02:51 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2021 09:37 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Oh just for poops and giggles, after teams are poached, I would invite Eastern Washington, UMASS, and Northern Arizona and rebrand as the “Four Corners Conference”. That’d grab eyeballs.

Makes sense. After all it is Conference USA!
10-16-2021 07:17 AM
TxSt1992 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
Can't do much until the hammer drops, just gather intelligence. At this moment I would be checking in with various FCS schools to see which ones are ready and willing to make the move. Missouri St, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky, Sam Houston State, the Dakota schools, etc.
10-16-2021 07:32 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Put your head between your legs…
10-16-2021 07:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-15-2021 09:37 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Oh just for poops and giggles, after teams are poached, I would invite Eastern Washington, UMASS, and Northern Arizona and rebrand as the “Four Corners Conference”. That’d grab eyeballs.

Requires a list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
10-16-2021 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-16-2021 12:01 AM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  I guess I’d wait and see who I had left. I’d try to get a small deal with ESPN and call up whatever FCS schools are willing and have FBS level resources and start trying to grow. I basically would do what Karl Benson had to do.
This.

Their major mistake in 2012-14 was going to 14 instead of 12 and spreading out too far. Charlotte to Atlanta to Dallas isn't the same as WV to Miami to El Paso. I know they get hammered for MARKETZ but in my opinion that was their biggest mistake.

The problem I see is that if they get poached 1) it's not like half the conference will be poached. That's message forum ridiculousness. 2) the outlier schools are actually the least likely to be poached. So what happens if you're down to say 10 and still have UTEP, Marshall and FIU?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
10-16-2021 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Going to 14 was a shot at the SBC in an attempt to weaken them greatly. There was no need to expand to 14.

Leaving WKU and one other would have left the SBC with a solid core. When you attempt to scorch the earth next time spread salt in the field, bet they’re surprised what rose from those ashes.

Insert gif of that girl watching the building burn here.
10-16-2021 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.