Troy at Texas State
Bookmark and Share
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Troy at Texas State
Troy vs Texas State
Bobcat Stadium at 2:00pm ESPN+
ESPN favors Troy with a 66% chance of victory.
Troy (-7.5); O/U 49 points

The offenses are evenly matched when looking at total yards per game:
Troy (349.2) vs Texas State (346)

However Troy's defense is much better in the yards allowed department:
Troy (272) vs Texas State (416)

Will be an interesting game of two teams that have underperformed thus far what they should be doing.
10-15-2021 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Troy at Texas State
I honestly dunno what to expect from this game. Both teams have had solid victories and real dud performances throughout the season.
10-15-2021 11:19 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I think Troy should get the win, because I'm baised, but it could be ugly. Texas State did beat South which means they can turn it on when they want. I think it'll be a close game either way.
10-15-2021 11:21 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(10-15-2021 11:17 AM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  However Troy's defense is much better in the yards allowed department:
Troy (272) vs Texas State (416)

Troy's defense is Top 5 nationally in four major defensive categories, and first in two of them. Let's see if that trend can continue this week as Troy finishes it's road tour. The Trojans will have been on the road five of it's last six games after the matchup in San Marcos.

Looking to see a more aggressive offense this week. Troy had a chance to do that last week, after a 24-3 lead early, but took their feet of the gas and almost let GS lead a successful comeback. Can't do that this week as Texas State has shown they can come back from a deficit and win.
10-15-2021 11:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Curious what kind of offensive game plan Texas State will come with.

I'm hoping with Gunnar Watson practicing with the 1st team offense once again consistently, that he'll start to get even better as the season progresses.

If Troy's offense still doesn't get going with Watson running the show, then we're just screwed and likely looking at a losing season.
10-15-2021 11:31 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Advice to Troy: if you are up 14 points with 10 minutes left in the game and have the ball and running chunks on TXST, do NOT call a flea flicker. Just keep running the ball to run out the clock.
10-15-2021 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-15-2021 11:31 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Curious what kind of offensive game plan Texas State will come with.

I'm hoping with Gunnar Watson practicing with the 1st team offense once again consistently, that he'll start to get even better as the season progresses.

If Troy's offense still doesn't get going with Watson running the show, then we're just screwed and likely looking at a losing season.

Expect some of this . . . .

Attached File(s)
.jpeg  FA24E09D-9877-43E2-B849-DADEB90386BF.jpeg (Size: 18.47 KB / Downloads: 18)
10-15-2021 11:42 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

(10-15-2021 11:42 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 11:31 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Curious what kind of offensive game plan Texas State will come with.

Excellent movie (off topic but that has to be a somewhat surreal experience for Texas State fans to watch).
10-15-2021 11:44 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-15-2021 11:44 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 11:42 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

Excellent movie (off topic but that has to be a somewhat surreal experience for Texas State fans to watch).

. . . a little bit. When the movie was made we were still Southwest Texas State, and of course they have the scene of the Armadillos playing the Bobcats in week 1.

The movie was shot on the UNT campus, hence the teams primary color of green.

Later when our name changes to TXST, you of course get the movie linked somewhat to us, even though it was never really about us.

Should we continue to turn in 2 and 3 win seasons, many of us may be content to hide behind the anonymity of the moniker: Armadillos. (and really, what could be more Texas?)
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 12:06 PM by Bobcat87.)
10-15-2021 11:50 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
TXST is hard to predict. I guess you can blame UWI on COIVD and part of the EMU blowout as well. The offense has the ability to be great but the QB loves to try to make every play a hero play and forces throws into INTs instead of just throwing it away. Our run game has been pretty bad too.

On defense it seems to be a bend don't break. They give up tons of yards but then get stops in the red zone. The weaknesses are the secondary and stopping plays on third down.

I think we can win but will say the game favors Troy for sure.
10-15-2021 11:59 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-15-2021 11:59 AM)slycat Wrote:  TXST is hard to predict. I guess you can blame UWI on COIVD and part of the EMU blowout as well. The offense has the ability to be great but the QB loves to try to make every play a hero play and forces throws into INTs instead of just throwing it away. Our run game has been pretty bad too.

On defense it seems to be a bend don't break. They give up tons of yards but then get stops in the red zone. The weaknesses are the secondary and stopping plays on third down.

pssst. . . . Do you think it’s smart to tell them what are weaknesses are the day before the game?
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 12:04 PM by Bobcat87.)
10-15-2021 12:04 PM
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

(10-15-2021 12:04 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 11:59 AM)slycat Wrote:  TXST is hard to predict. I guess you can blame UWI on COIVD and part of the EMU blowout as well. The offense has the ability to be great but the QB loves to try to make every play a hero play and forces throws into INTs instead of just throwing it away. Our run game has been pretty bad too.

pssst. . . . Do you think it’s smart to tell them what are weaknesses are the day before the game?

Troy's weakness is easy to figure out-you just need ULM to disguise themselves as Texas State and it's a sure fire victory! 03-lmfao
10-15-2021 12:06 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-15-2021 12:06 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  

Troy's weakness is easy to figure out-you just need ULM to disguise themselves as Texas State and it's a sure fire victory! 03-lmfao

. . . you may be onto something there, Gawd knows the uniform colors are awfully close . .
10-15-2021 12:07 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

McBride will do part on his own
10-15-2021 12:21 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-15-2021 12:21 PM)slycat Wrote:  

. . . you know, I get the criticism he catches . . .. he’s the QB. So he gets the lion’s share of the blame when we lose, and the credit when we win.

But for Christ’s sake, let’s be honest about this program…. The problems that exist extend well beyond the QB position. This is a program that has largely sucked for almost 25 solid years (longer in reality) (well before MCBride). We’ve completed six straight 2 and 3 win seasons (again, well before MCBride) And we’re presently working on season no. 7 (until we get a fourth win, it’s the only way I can look at it).

We stunk up the southland, the WAC, and are currently On life support (as a FB program) in the Belt. Almost all of that before MCBride.

Is MCBride the best QB to ever play the position for the Armadillos (Bobcats), obviously not (that would be Paul Blake) . . . But, I’d submit he’s not the worst either . .. our Defensive secondary is horrible, our O line is still a sieve, our receivers frequently drop balls that hit them in the hands, we have Coaching issues (according to many of our fans), a “suspect”Athletic Dept. when it comes to support, and we’re a team without an identity.

So try and give the kid a break . . . I doubt he’s out there giving it less than the best he has.

You know who the most popular QB is on every struggling program in the country?

The one not starting. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 01:41 PM by Bobcat87.)
10-15-2021 01:31 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2021 01:31 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

. . . you know, I get the criticism he catches . . .. he’s the QB. So he gets the lion’s share of the blame when we lose, and the credit when we win.

But for Christ’s sake, let’s be honest about this program…. The problems that exist extend well beyond the QB position. This is a program that has largely sucked for almost 25 solid years (longer in reality) (well before MCBride). We’ve completed six straight 2 and 3 win seasons (again, well before MCBride) And we’re presently working on season no. 7 (until we get a fourth win, it’s the only way I can look at it).

We stunk up the southland, the WAC, and are currently On life support (as a FB program) in the Belt. Almost all of that before MCBride.

Is MCBride the best QB to ever play the position for the Armadillos (Bobcats), obviously not (that would be Paul Blake) . . . But, I’d submit he’s not the worst either . .. our Defensive secondary is horrible, our O line is still a sieve, our receivers frequently drop balls that hit them in the hands, we have Coaching issues (according to many of our fans), a “suspect”Athletic Dept. when it comes to support, and we’re a team without an identity.

So try and give the kid a break . . . I doubt he’s out there giving it less than the best he has.

Oh I agree. The system as a whole is rotten. I remember when people hated Fumbleford. The QB is the easy target but things are so bad that no coach or QB is easily going to solve the problem. At least Teis is gone and that part of the major rot has been removed.
10-15-2021 01:54 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-15-2021 01:54 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 01:31 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

Oh I agree. The system as a whole is rotten. I remember when people hated Fumbleford. The QB is the easy target but things are so bad that no coach or QB is easily going to solve the problem. At least Teis is gone and that part of the major rot has been removed.

03-lmfao Fumbleford, I hadn’t thought of him in awhile . . . Hope I didn’t offend with my previous post, was not my intent . . .

As soon as the losing starts, much of our fan base has a 2 point knee jerk reaction:

1. Fire the Coach
2. Bench the QB

. . . .. I get the reaction, but view it as oversimplifications . . . the problems are more complex and numerous. Just hoping that I live long enough to see us put a solid program back on the grid iron . . .

Here’s to being shocked (in a good way) tomorrow . . .
10-15-2021 02:09 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(10-15-2021 11:19 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I honestly dunno what to expect from this game. Both teams have had solid victories and real dud performances throughout the season.

Nothing new for Troy under Chip Lindsey.
10-15-2021 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
_x_ Offline
All American

If it makes you feel better he's wrong if he thinks that's the weakest part of our defense. So maybe it'll throw Troy off our scent...
10-16-2021 10:23 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-16-2021 10:23 AM)_x_ Wrote:  

If it makes you feel better he's wrong if he thinks that's the weakest part of our defense. So maybe it'll throw Troy off our scent...

Honestly, I think Withers left this program in the worst shape it’s ever been in. The only credit I can give him was the D. . . . everything else was a train wreck. It didn’t help that he burned bridges with the HS coaches, and if it hadn’t been SPAV that followed him, I’d have felt sorry for whomever followed him.

One of the most underrated aspects of the game is the mental aspect. I do think that the overall talent level since Withers left has improved, but mentally, I’m not sure where this team is. We have 2 wins, both hard fought OT contests that honestly could have gone either way.

Does this team believe in what SPAV is selling? or is he losing/lost the locker room?
There are still plenty of areas where this team is not where it needs to be. Looking at the schedule, I still think this team has a 4 (at least) and still possible 5 win ceiling.

If we can avoid another 2/3 win fiasco, and hit 4 or 5 wins, then I’ll believe that maybe we’ve finally turned a corner, and are moving in the right direction.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 11:12 AM by Bobcat87.)
10-16-2021 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.