Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Aresco on AAC Vision: Bring in Lesser Schools and Raise Their Profiles"
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
OT: Aresco on AAC Vision: Bring in Lesser Schools and Raise Their Profiles"
Overall nothing new in the article but I thought the quote alone was worth the thread

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aa...conference

"Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said. “In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021 11:21 AM by RamblinRedWolf.)
10-14-2021 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: OT: Aresco on AAC Vision: Bring in Lesser Schools and Raise Their Profiles"
"Lesser schools." Awesome.

Tell me what you really think of me, Mike Aresco!
10-14-2021 11:04 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
In other words, everyone else has turned us down, so now we are going to invite somebody else. Eventually they will go far enough that someone will bite and they will brag how they got who they really wanted that keeps them on the path they are headed.....
10-14-2021 11:06 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-14-2021 11:00 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Overall nothing new in the article but I thought the quote alone was worth the thread

"Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said. “In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”

Link didn't work for me, but what I take from that quote is the AAC is going to end up taking schools that probably have accomplished almost nothing but have the desire and ability to spend at the AAC level. The AAC has to add teams that have the ability to run 50+ million dollar budgets, and honestly that's a pretty small list of schools not in the AAC/MWC.
10-14-2021 11:17 AM
SouthJags2012 Offline
2nd String

Liberty to the AAC confirmed
10-14-2021 11:20 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Uh oh. Picking teams based on their potential instead of established contenders? Where have I heard that idea before?
10-14-2021 11:23 AM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
What a quote. Basically saying "Hey there you nobody, come join the great and mighty AAC and we will raise you up. All the schools we wanted turned us down so now we are down to you losers"
10-14-2021 11:25 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
Not gonna happen but I've been told the AAC has had talks with stAte. I know if we knew for a fact that Memphis was gonna stay that stAte would do everything in its power to find the money for exit and entry fees. We would also find a way to raise our budget. I figure stAte will be in the Belt for the long term. We aren't going anywhere.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021 11:43 AM by statefanatic.)
10-14-2021 11:42 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-14-2021 11:17 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 11:00 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Overall nothing new in the article but I thought the quote alone was worth the thread

Link didn't work for me, but what I take from that quote is the AAC is going to end up taking schools that probably have accomplished almost nothing but have the desire and ability to spend at the AAC level. The AAC has to add teams that have the ability to run 50+ million dollar budgets, and honestly that's a pretty small list of schools not in the AAC/MWC.

Sounds like UNCC and GaSt will be getting a nice hard look.
10-14-2021 11:46 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
JMU has a higher budget (58 million) than any school in the Belt or C-USA. Not saying that the AAC will take JMU, but the budget works.
10-14-2021 11:49 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

(10-14-2021 11:23 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Uh oh. Picking teams based on their potential instead of established contenders? Where have I heard that idea before?

Or they could be picking based on marketz or educational profile. They know they will get criticized as a whole conference when this round is done (no matter who they pick) for being a much weaker conference, and want to set the stage so they can still puff out their chest. They want to pretend that their strength is in the name of the conference and not the individuals that comprise it.
10-14-2021 11:55 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
"lesser schools" akin to "you people". The delusion is at a crazy level. Those schools would have done the same thing in CUSA, MW or the Belt.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021 12:02 PM by JCGSU.)
10-14-2021 12:00 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-14-2021 11:42 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  Not gonna happen but I've been told the AAC has had talks with stAte. I know if we knew for a fact that Memphis was gonna stay that stAte would do everything in its power to find the money for exit and entry fees. We would also find a way to raise our budget. I figure stAte will be in the Belt for the long term. We aren't going anywhere.

It's pretty obvious Memphis is as good as gone (and I can't help but think they'd do anything to block Astate from hopping on board) but regardless, Astate is not an American team. They belong exactly where they're at now (Funbelt).
10-14-2021 12:02 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(10-14-2021 11:49 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  JMU has a higher budget (58 million) than any school in the Belt or C-USA. Not saying that the AAC will take JMU, but the budget works.

Don’t mistake high budgets for financial health. JMU also has one of the highest student fee subsidies in Division 1. 48M of their 58M budget in 2020 came from student fees and school funds. IIRC, the state of Virginia has a budget cap similar to the state of Georgia’s that limits the amount your budget is allowed to be subsidized by. ODU’s athletic subsidy has a much lower cap because they play in the FBS. Similarly, if JMU moved to the FBS, they would have to reorganize their budget to fall within this new cap.
10-14-2021 12:11 PM
The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
Panther fans...hearing anything? Would y'all want to go to a depleted AAC over the SBC? President and AD's thoughts?
10-14-2021 12:14 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(10-14-2021 12:02 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 11:42 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  Not gonna happen but I've been told the AAC has had talks with stAte. I know if we knew for a fact that Memphis was gonna stay that stAte would do everything in its power to find the money for exit and entry fees. We would also find a way to raise our budget. I figure stAte will be in the Belt for the long term. We aren't going anywhere.

It's pretty obvious Memphis is as good as gone (and I can't help but think they'd do anything to block Astate from hopping on board) but regardless, Astate is not an American team. They belong exactly where they're at now (Funbelt).

I completely agree with you. I also know our administration and donors would throw money all over the place to be in the same conference as Memphis. Everyone knows Memphis is gone as soon as they get an invite. I also believe we are where we should be. Just wish we would add USM. Our fans would show up to watch USM. As it stand we don't really have a rival that interests our fans other than UL. The biggest problem is the western side of the conference sucks.
10-14-2021 12:16 PM
Advertisement

jmu98 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(10-14-2021 12:11 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 11:49 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  JMU has a higher budget (58 million) than any school in the Belt or C-USA. Not saying that the AAC will take JMU, but the budget works.

Don’t mistake high budgets for financial health. JMU also has one of the highest student fee subsidies in Division 1. 48M of their 58M budget in 2020 came from student fees and school funds. IIRC, the state of Virginia has a budget cap similar to the state of Georgia’s that limits the amount your budget is allowed to be subsidized by. ODU’s athletic subsidy has a much lower cap because they play in the FBS. Similarly, if JMU moved to the FBS, they would have to reorganize their budget to fall within this new cap.

While I don't disagree that JMU relies too much on student fees some of that is based on the rules Virginia has for not being able to take certain types of aid for athletics that only a few other states have. JMU's overall cost to attend including tuition and fees is quite reasonable compared to similar schools. As far as the Cox Bill goes it allows you to remove certain items (infrastructure debt being the biggest) from the overall calculation that lowers the percentage in the calculation. If JMU moved up there would need to be some additional funding, but that number is pretty reasonable.

JMU definitely wants to move up this time and has taken the above into consideration, but we will see what happens as everything shakes out.
10-14-2021 12:23 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(10-14-2021 12:14 PM)The Demoralizer Wrote:  Panther fans...hearing anything? Would y'all want to go to a depleted AAC over the SBC? President and AD's thoughts?

I don't think App, GS or GSU want to lose a built-in near sell-out game no matter what the records are. I cant see not playing App every year it would be weird. I don't see GS and GSU doing the GT / UGA thing making it an auto OOC game.
10-14-2021 12:23 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(10-14-2021 12:23 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

While I don't disagree that JMU relies too much on student fees some of that is based on the rules Virginia has for not being able to take certain types of aid for athletics that only a few other states have. JMU's overall cost to attend including tuition and fees is quite reasonable compared to similar schools. As far as the Cox Bill goes it allows you to remove certain items (infrastructure debt being the biggest) from the overall calculation that lowers the percentage in the calculation. If JMU moved up there would need to be some additional funding, but that number is pretty reasonable.

JMU definitely wants to move up this time and has taken the above into consideration, but we will see what happens as everything shakes out.

82.87% allocated what would it need to go to if moving up? That is a very high number.
10-14-2021 12:24 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison

this has been addressed endlessly:
https://jmusports.com/news/2016/9/1/bour...tters.aspx
10-14-2021 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.