Bowl Projections (CBS Sports)
Bookmark and Share
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
Bowl Projections (CBS Sports)
Believes CUSA will have 8 bowling.

UTSA vs Houston (Frisco Bowl)
Florida Atlantic vs Coastal Carolina (Myrtle Beach Bowl)
UAB vs BYU (Independence Bowl)
Louisiana Tech vs UL-Lafayette (New Orleans Bowl)
Charlotte vs Eastern Michigan (Lending Tree Bowl)
Middle Tennessee vs San Jose State (New Mexico Bowl)
Western Kentucky vs Ball State (Boca Raton Bowl)
Marshall vs Kent State (Bahamas Bowl)

However, I see a couple of issues in Jerry Palm's predictions.

First, UTEP is 5-1, and they still have very winnable games against North Texas and Rice still on the schedule.

Second, the Cure Bowl is contracted to the Gang of 5 conferences or Army, but not Liberty.

Therefore, I think UTEP will go to the New Mexico Bowl, Charlotte will go to the Cure Bowl in Orlando especially if Appalachian State is the opponent, and Middle Tennessee would likely land the Lending Tree Bowl in Mobile against a Mid-American Conference team. Liberty, unfortunately, will likely stay home with a 10-2 record because they have no direct or contingent bowl tie-ins this year. There will be plenty of bowl eligible teams to fill contracted openings.

CBS Mid-Season Bowl Projections
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021 09:57 PM by All4One.)
10-11-2021 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Bowl Projections (CBS Sports)
(10-11-2021 09:54 PM)All4One Wrote:  Believes CUSA will have 8 bowling.

First, UTEP is 5-1, and they still have very winnable games against North Texas and Rice still on the schedule.

Second, the Cure Bowl is contracted to the Gang of 5 conferences or Army, but not Liberty.

Therefore, I think UTEP will go to the New Mexico Bowl, Charlotte will go to the Cure Bowl in Orlando especially if Appalachian State is the opponent, and Middle Tennessee would likely land the Lending Tree Bowl in Mobile against a Mid-American Conference team. Liberty, unfortunately, will likely stay home with a 10-2 record because they have no direct or contingent bowl tie-ins this year. There will be plenty of bowl eligible teams to fill contracted openings.

Gonna be tough for WKU to go to a bowl. Certainly not impossible, but tough.
10-11-2021 10:01 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
I'll be surprised if Marshall wins 6 games this year.
10-11-2021 10:27 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

...I'm down with the BYU in Shreveport deal (not sure if that is where the Conference Champ always ends up - honestly it seems to have been a 'have your pick' deal, primarily a money thing, duh...)

I've never been to a game there, but heard it was pretty cool overall - any good/bad on the Indy Bowl experience? (like we can go ahead and make reservations... 03-drunk ) but yeah, kinda weird UTEP isn't on there - maybe dude set this up a bit back, but UTEP has rocked it thus far this season...

As to Liberty, I think the Malik Willis factor should get them in somewhere, as he is definitely a star... sadly I know all about that...
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 01:21 AM by GreenFreakUAB.)
10-12-2021 01:16 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

(10-12-2021 01:16 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  

As to Liberty, I think the Malik Willis factor should get them in somewhere, as he is definitely a star... sadly I know all about that...

As bad it sounds, Liberty not going to a bowl at 10-2 falls squarely on their administration. It is their responsibility to make sure they have a bowl to play in the way BYU contracted to the Independence Bowl and Army contracted with a series of Gang of 5 bowls. The only way they go to a bowl is as an at-large to a bowl where a conference cannot meet primary, secondary, or tertiary obligations. I don't see that happening. There have been outstanding Gang of 5 teams with 8, 9, or even 10 wins that were shut out of the bowl season over the years to lesser teams because there aren't enough spots to fill. They typically went to 6-6 or 6-7 Power Conference schools, but the premise is the same. Liberty is very likely going to be left out.

I noticed Palm only had 3 Sun Belt schools going to bowls with Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Troy, and South Alabama all staying at home. If Georgia State finishes with 6 wins, I believe they will be selected over a CUSA at-large. Same for South Alabama. Georgia Southern is going to have to beat somebody good in their conference because they did lousy in the non-conference. Troy is going to need to beat a really good team or two as well because that loss to Louisiana-Monroe doesn't look too hot.

It would be interesting to see what the ESPN Projections say since they do own alot of of the Gang of 5 bowls, but apparently their opinions matter more than anyone else because they are now the only sports network provider that hides that kind of content behind a paywall.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 02:26 AM by All4One.)
10-12-2021 01:41 AM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards

Someone is going to have to do the math and figure out how a 3-3 FAU and Marshall team, a 2-4 MTSU team and a 1-4 WKU team (all out of the East) are going bowling. For most of those teams to go bowling, they're going to have to beat each other somewhere the rest of the season. I mean, they all can't play ODU and FIU every week of the season (or Rice - although we do play WKU).

Meanwhile, as the OP has pointed out, he doesn't have a 5-1 UTEP team bowling.

Very odd.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 05:29 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-12-2021 05:28 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

(10-12-2021 05:28 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

Someone is going to have to do the math and figure out how a 3-3 FAU and Marshall team, a 2-4 MTSU team and a 1-4 WKU team (all out of the East) are going bowling. For most of those teams to go bowling, they're going to have to beat each other somewhere the rest of the season. I mean, they all can't play ODU and FIU every week of the season (or Rice - although we do play WKU).

Meanwhile, as the OP has pointed out, he doesn't have a 5-1 UTEP team bowling.

Very odd.

MTSU only needs to beat UConn, FIU, ODU, and Southern Miss to get to six wins.

Western Kentucky should beat FIU, ODU, MTSU, Rice, and at least one of Charlotte, Marshall, or Florida Atlantic. They have a team that can beat all three, but I think they'll beat AT least one--possibly Marshall.

Marshall must beat North Texas and FIU and one of Western Kentucky, Charlotte, UAB, or Florida Atlantic. Of those, Charlotte would be the most likely.

Florida Atlantic need only beat UTEP, ODU, and Middle Tennessee, which they are fully capable of doing.
10-12-2021 05:44 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
McMurphy projects UTEP to the New Mexico Bowl while both espn prognosticators project the Miners to the Frisco Bowl. Both bowls would work well for fans.
10-12-2021 07:42 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

(10-12-2021 07:42 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  McMurphy projects UTEP to the New Mexico Bowl while both espn prognosticators project the Miners to the Frisco Bowl. Both bowls would work well for fans.

That makes sense.
10-12-2021 07:44 AM
Advertisement

Tech80 Online
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

...I'm down with the BYU in Shreveport deal (not sure if that is where the Conference Champ always ends up - honestly it seems to have been a 'have your pick' deal, primarily a money thing, duh...)

I've never been to a game there, but heard it was pretty cool overall - any good/bad on the Indy Bowl experience? (like we can go ahead and make reservations... 03-drunk ) but yeah, kinda weird UTEP isn't on there - maybe dude set this up a bit back, but UTEP has rocked it thus far this season...

Tech 24 Louisville 14
Tech 13 ECU 35 (ugh!)
Tech 34 Maryland 34
Tech 17 Northern Ill 10
Tech 14 Miami 0

The Indy Bowl is one of the oldest continuous bowls in existence. Not as old as the biggies, like the Rose, Sugar, etc...but dating back to 1976 that's 45 years. The committee has its faults, but they do try to be very accommodating to visiting teams and fans. And considering who has played there...well, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Washington, and the list goes on, it has hosted some of the best programs in the nation.

It's a good bowl and any program would do well having it on their list of bowls played in.
10-12-2021 07:53 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-12-2021 03:32 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  They are ULL and that's their legal name. I am not about to change what I call them and neither is any other non-ULL fan in the state of Louisiana.

This is also true.
10-12-2021 03:41 PM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I don’t think we’ll be bowl eligible. Ugh!
10-12-2021 03:43 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt would enjoy traveling somewhere warm ideally.
10-12-2021 03:48 PM
Advertisement

pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
(10-12-2021 07:53 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  

Tech 24 Louisville 14
Tech 13 ECU 35 (ugh!)
Tech 34 Maryland 34
Tech 17 Northern Ill 10
Tech 14 Miami 0

The Indy Bowl is one of the oldest continuous bowls in existence. Not as old as the biggies, like the Rose, Sugar, etc...but dating back to 1976 that's 45 years. The committee has its faults, but they do try to be very accommodating to visiting teams and fans. And considering who has played there...well, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Washington, and the list goes on, it has hosted some of the best programs in the nation.

It's a good bowl and any program would do well having it on their list of bowls played in.

I second this. I am a fan of the Indy Bowl. They have lost some luster but the game itself is usually really good.
10-12-2021 03:51 PM
deb025 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I'm hoping Tech can make the Independence Bowl this year.
The men's basketball team is also playing LSU in Bossier at the Brookshire Arena on 12/18 at 6:00 pm.

You could have the football team playing BYU in Shreveport starting at 2:30 pm, then you could go see the basketball game against LSU. Would be a great day of watching Tech athletics in Shreveport/Bossier.

If this happens maybe they could move the start time of the basketball game back an hour to 7:00 pm, so you could see both events fully.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 04:38 PM by deb025.)
10-12-2021 04:35 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Good grief, some teams have only played 5 games so far. I hope the rest of the season won't be filled with endless numbers of realignment and bowl projection threads.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 04:52 PM by Volkmar.)
10-12-2021 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
(10-12-2021 04:51 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  Good grief, some teams have only played 5 games so far. I hope the rest of the season won't be filled with endless numbers of realignment and bowl projection threads.

es wird
10-12-2021 04:52 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
This woukld be a good year to put UAB vs an SEC school in the BHam Bowl. I would not complain. Or a trip to Tampa against an opponent that won't quit two days before the game.
10-12-2021 05:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All4One Offline
Banned

(10-12-2021 04:51 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  Good grief, some teams have only played 5 games so far. I hope the rest of the season won't be filled with endless numbers of realignment and bowl projection threads.

It's Mid-Season. It's not a bad idea to see where some experts think things will go.
10-12-2021 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.