O. T.--- OVC-- Southland sched. Alliance announced
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Exclamation O. T.--- OVC-- Southland sched. Alliance announced
What will the long term effect be?

McNeese St.?

Will this lead to other FCS leagues trying this idea?

Thoughts?
10-11-2021 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: O. T.--- OVC-- Southland sched. Alliance announced
Each conference has 6 current D1 FCS teams so it makes sense for those 12 schools to give each other 2 to 3 home and away games over a 3 year period and ensure all 12 schools have 7 to 8 guaranteed games
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021 09:42 AM by solohawks.)
10-13-2021 09:41 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(10-13-2021 09:41 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Each conference has 6 current D1 FCS teams so it makes sense for those 12 schools to give each other 2 to 3 home and away games over a 3 year period and ensure all 12 schools have 7 to 8 guaranteed games

UNCW should add football and join the A-Sun with University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

EDIT: UNCW has No football
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 08:51 AM by GoOwls111.)
11-09-2021 03:28 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
(10-11-2021 02:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  What will the long term effect be?

McNeese St.?

Will this lead to other FCS leagues trying this idea?

Thoughts?

Question for Topstraight: How can some western fans whine about MTSU causing the MAC deal to fall through, complain and blame MTSU for keeping the MAC from taking western… yet the majority of western fans would sell their own mother to keep EKU out of FBS… the pettiness is hard ignore!
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021 10:08 PM by LexColonel.)
11-10-2021 09:30 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

WKU did not keep EKU out of CUSA. We were headed to the MAC. That would have left an opening for EKU in CUSA and there is NOTHING we could have done about it at all. I am almost sure you would have been added if we got the MAC. WKU was inches from a MAC invite. We will be trying again as we have established connections with the MAC. If we become a member of the MAC in three years-- you will probably be added by CUSA. We WERE/ARE focused on getting out of CUSA to the MAC or SBC. ALL these events indirectly effect other schools-- that is just the way it is. We are not focused on EKU-- we have enough problems of our own. So if you want to blame someone-- it is MT who kept you from FBS--although it was indirect and the farthest thing from their mind.

Extra-- WKU, EKU to MAC would never happen since MAC does not take FCS schools-- their current policy.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 01:43 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-11-2021 12:43 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(11-11-2021 12:43 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  WKU did not keep EKU out of CUSA. We were headed to the MAC. That would have left an opening for EKU in CUSA and there is NOTHING we could have done about it at all. I am almost sure you would have been added if we got the MAC. WKU was inches from a MAC invite. We will be trying again as we have established connections with the MAC. If we become a member of the MAC in three years-- you will probably be added by CUSA. We WERE/ARE focused on getting out of CUSA to the MAC or SBC. ALL these events indirectly effect other schools-- that is just the way it is. We are not focused on EKU-- we have enough problems of our own. So if you want to blame someone-- it is MT who kept you from FBS--although it was indirect and the farthest thing from their mind.

Extra-- WKU, EKU to MAC would never happen since MAC does not take FCS schools-- their current policy.
EKU fans can read and do understand the politics of realignment. I did not say Western kept us from a bid to CUSA, what I did say, was I see everywhere that (most) Western fans essentially say, “No/never EKU”. Maybe you are the exception? But, many throwing out distortions about who we are, our "dump" (that's a quote) of a campus, what we can do, and our ability to make this move. Things they know nothing about. At the same time I see the whining posts from Western fans about MTSU holding them back from moving to the MAC. Honestly, I really don’t care what Western does, that train left the station years ago. I understand WHY Western does not want another FBS team in KY, however it is ironic the innuendo's of Western fans trying their best to influence others to see EKU in a negative light. I guess the good news is the people who make those decisions don’t read message boards, at least I hope not.
Extra: I don’t believe I hinted, much less suggested that EKU might be getting a MAC invite.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 11:23 AM by LexColonel.)
11-11-2021 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UGA & Kennesaw State
I guess we are about to find out how much WKU really hates EKU.. EKU is probably the most ready FCS callup to fill out CUSA. If they want it, and get skipped over by a less ready school, then you probably have your answer..
11-11-2021 01:28 PM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EKU & U of L
(11-11-2021 12:43 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  WKU did not keep EKU out of CUSA. We were headed to the MAC. That would have left an opening for EKU in CUSA and there is NOTHING we could have done about it at all. I am almost sure you would have been added if we got the MAC. WKU was inches from a MAC invite. We will be trying again as we have established connections with the MAC. If we become a member of the MAC in three years-- you will probably be added by CUSA. We WERE/ARE focused on getting out of CUSA to the MAC or SBC. ALL these events indirectly effect other schools-- that is just the way it is. We are not focused on EKU-- we have enough problems of our own. So if you want to blame someone-- it is MT who kept you from FBS--although it was indirect and the farthest thing from their mind.

Translation: They won't take an FCS team until it makes sense for them to do so. Are you telling me they wouldn't have taken James Madison if JMU was interested. Please. I get that they aren't interested in us, but they'd take an FCS team if it really appealed to them.

Also, you're not going to convince me that WKU won't rally the votes against EKU if C-USA decides to add one more. I hope I'm wrong. I think that rivalry inside of a conference would bring a lot of energy to both programs, but I doubt it will happen (at least not now).

Now the other possibility is that C-USA stands pat at 9 for now in which case you're correct, none of this is WKU's fault.

The irony is that if the situation was flipped and it was the Sunbelt that was in trouble then we would have gotten in instead of JSU because Troy would have rallied the votes against them. It's a really shame that the politics affects this so much.

The double irony is that WKU was interested in the MAC, in which 75% of the current membership is in either Ohio or Michigan. Literally half of the teams are in Ohio alone. They have lots of great rivalries. They have schools that make sense together. And as a result they have the stability that every other G5 league admires. I'd like to see the new C-USA create that, and adding both EKU and Chattanooga would be a great start.
11-11-2021 02:01 PM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2021 01:28 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  I guess we are about to find out how much WKU really hates EKU.. EKU is probably the most ready FCS callup to fill out CUSA. If they want it, and get skipped over by a less ready school, then you probably have your answer..

If they add another team at all.

The other wrinkle to this though is that my understanding is that Missouri State was not interested in C-USA without MTSU/WKU, but they might be with both of them still in. As much as it pains me to say it, it would be hard to blame them for taking Missouri State over us even though we've been far more successful on the field than they have.
11-11-2021 02:02 PM
Tmac13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UGA & Kennesaw State
(11-11-2021 02:02 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 01:28 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  I guess we are about to find out how much WKU really hates EKU.. EKU is probably the most ready FCS callup to fill out CUSA. If they want it, and get skipped over by a less ready school, then you probably have your answer..

The other wrinkle to this though is that my understanding is that Missouri State was not interested in C-USA without MTSU/WKU, but they might be with both of them still in. As much as it pains me to say it, it would be hard to blame them for taking Missouri State over us even though we've been far more successful on the field than they have.
I think CUSA adds 3 to 5 more schools in the very near future. 9, or even 10 in such a far flung geographic conference is an Olympic travel cost nightmare. Not to mention 9 or 10 leaves you completely vulnerable to getting devastated again in future realignment. They really need to be at 12 or 14. Then, you have the NCAA about to make it much more difficult for FCS schools to move up, and it creates as now or never scenario for both CUSA and the FCS schools they are interested in adding.
11-11-2021 02:17 PM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2021 02:17 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 02:02 PM)eku05 Wrote:  

I think CUSA adds 3 to 5 more schools in the very near future. 9, or even 10 in such a far flung geographic conference is an Olympic travel cost nightmare. Not to mention 9 or 10 leaves you completely vulnerable to getting devastated again in future realignment. They really need to be at 12 or 14. Then, you have the NCAA about to make it much more difficult for FCS schools to move up, and it creates as now or never scenario for both CUSA and the FCS schools they are interested in adding.

I hope you're right, and I hope that we have enough allies to get in. I hear a lot of chatter about them staying at 9 or 10, and I could see the perspective of not wanting to overdo it with too many FCS call ups at one time. Right now 7 of their 9 are existing FBS schools. That saves a lot of face for them image wise.

I've heard that several members, particularly MTSU want to stay small. It's possible they used the leverage of possibly bolting for the MAC to get the other members to assure them that they wouldn't go too big.

I also know that the Louisiana Tech AD mentioned no more than 14, but very possibly less. It personally wouldn't surprise me if they add Missouri State and stay at ten for now.
11-11-2021 02:22 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(11-11-2021 02:01 PM)eku05 Wrote:  

Translation: They won't take an FCS team until it makes sense for them to do so. Are you telling me they wouldn't have taken James Madison if JMU was interested. Please. I get that they aren't interested in us, but they'd take an FCS team if it really appealed to them.

Also, you're not going to convince me that WKU won't rally the votes against EKU if C-USA decides to add one more. I hope I'm wrong. I think that rivalry inside of a conference would bring a lot of energy to both programs, but I doubt it will happen (at least not now).

Now the other possibility is that C-USA stands pat at 9 for now in which case you're correct, none of this is WKU's fault.

The irony is that if the situation was flipped and it was the Sunbelt that was in trouble then we would have gotten in instead of JSU because Troy would have rallied the votes against them. It's a really shame that the politics affects this so much.

The double irony is that WKU was interested in the MAC, in which 75% of the current membership is in either Ohio or Michigan. Literally half of the teams are in Ohio alone. They have lots of great rivalries. They have schools that make sense together. And as a result they have the stability that every other G5 league admires. I'd like to see the new C-USA create that, and adding both EKU and Chattanooga would be a great start.

UT-Chattanooga and EKU overlap existing C-USA schools in a negative way. Rivalries are great but you don't want two schools fighting over the same fans, local coverage, and limited support.
11-11-2021 04:45 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(11-11-2021 04:45 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

UT-Chattanooga and EKU overlap existing C-USA schools in a negative way. Rivalries are great but you don't want two schools fighting over the same fans, local coverage, and limited support.

Trust me. EKU and WKU do not fight over the same fans.
EKU local coverage is Lexington. WKU fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but their coverage is from Bowling Green and Louisville.
11-11-2021 06:32 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC

This attitude is what lands you giant footprints and lots of long road trip. The MAC has 9 schools in 2 states and they do just fine. 2 KY and 2 TN schools will be just fine.
11-11-2021 09:24 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(11-11-2021 09:24 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

This attitude is what lands you giant footprints and lots of long road trip. The MAC has 9 schools in 2 states and they do just fine. 2 KY and 2 TN schools will be just fine.
All excuses… the real reason, and perhaps the only one (and they said it themselves over and over), using their terminology, western feels like they have “separated” themselves from the other state U’s and they specifically want that from EKU. Unfortunately, in the state of KY, for most, the only U that matters in uk, and for a few others, Louisville (amazing that in Louisville, the Cards don’t even get top billing in the Courier Journal, the city newspaper, that goes to the cats). We know it (EKU) and they know it too (WKU). For EKU and WKU, being important is mostly limited to our alumni and the other fans we have in and around Richmond and BG. They may think most other parts of KY have them on their radar, but they are delusional. I suspect this is true anywhere you go. I would guess Ohio St fans or Bama fans aren’t searching ESPN scoreboard every Saturday for Ohio U or Jax State scores (just two examples among many!), all this other is just excuses.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 11:56 PM by LexColonel.)
11-11-2021 11:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I'm afraid the next move by CUSA will be far west of Kentucky. We have five in the East now-- four in the WEST. It is easy to see where the next add comes from. This is bad for WKU (sick of Tex.) and ANY team East of the Mississippi.

WKU can not control this Texas-centric influence- so don't blame us if no eastern U.S. school is added.

I will repeat. If WKU was in the MAC (came VERY close)- then EKU would probably be in CUSA>>> blame MT not WKU.

It is really that simple. WKU does not pull these strings. It has not exactly been "good times" for us lately either as we have been turned down by the AAC, SBC, and the MAC. IF we had been accepted by any of these leagues-- EKU would be in C-USA. No need to gripe at WKU except that we have swung three times and are OUT-- which has kept you out.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2021 01:36 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
11-12-2021 01:16 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St

The MAC does just fine? In what way? How many good brands do they have? How many top 25 teams do they have in football and men's basketball? What's the difference between a Bowling Green and Akron or Toledo? Western Michigan and Central Michigan? I'd argue their biggest breakthroughs have been Buffalo (basketball) and Northern Illinois (football), two schools that aren't competing with other MAC schools in their market. WMU had a NY6 bowl and immediately went back to being vanilla.

This is Division I. This is FBS. Athletics is marketing for the schools. Go spread the brand and reach new prospective students. If you want to compete against your own state schools (and maybe the next state over if you are feeling dangerous), go back to Division II or lower and save all the money by busing to away games, lower salaries, and less scholarships.
11-12-2021 07:02 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

(11-12-2021 01:16 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  I'm afraid the next move by CUSA will be far west of Kentucky. We have five in the East now-- four in the WEST. It is easy to see where the next add comes from. This is bad for WKU (sick of Tex.) and ANY team East of the Mississippi.

WKU can not control this Texas-centric influence- so don't blame us if no eastern U.S. school is added.

I will repeat. If WKU was in the MAC (came VERY close)- then EKU would probably be in CUSA>>> blame MT not WKU.

It is really that simple. WKU does not pull these strings. It has not exactly been "good times" for us lately either as we have been turned down by the AAC, SBC, and the MAC. IF we had been accepted by any of these leagues-- EKU would be in C-USA. No need to gripe at WKU except that we have swung three times and are OUT-- which has kept you out.

We have beat this dead horse..
I did not say that Western kept us out of the CUSA deal… my intensions were to make this point: most WKU fans on the CUSA Board were degrading EKU with false information and demeaning comments to influence others on a message board. I also said we ( EKU) understand realignment and also I doubt that those who make the decisions read message boards. This slid way south as things on message boards tend to do. Topstraight, you seem like a reasonable guy and I appreciate your feedback without the other nonsense. Regardless, the renewal of the rivalry on a even playing field (EKU in FBS) would be good for both schools.
11-12-2021 09:43 AM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(11-12-2021 07:02 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

The MAC does just fine? In what way? How many good brands do they have? How many top 25 teams do they have in football and men's basketball? What's the difference between a Bowling Green and Akron or Toledo? Western Michigan and Central Michigan? I'd argue their biggest breakthroughs have been Buffalo (basketball) and Northern Illinois (football), two schools that aren't competing with other MAC schools in their market. WMU had a NY6 bowl and immediately went back to being vanilla.

This is Division I. This is FBS. Athletics is marketing for the schools. Go spread the brand and reach new prospective students. If you want to compete against your own state schools (and maybe the next state over if you are feeling dangerous), go back to Division II or lower and save all the money by busing to away games, lower salaries, and less scholarships.

The marketing is super effective. I'm on the other side of the country and know those relatively small schools even exist. And seeing college athletics purely as marketing is silly.

The MAC seems like an ideal conference to be in if you're outside the P5. It builds your brand so you're known nationally. It adds to the student experience having top level football. You get regional games to keep the alumni connected after they leave the town. You get easy to travel to games. It sounds like a blast. The only thing that would bother me about my school finding a home in a MAC-like conference would be the midweek games they play.
11-12-2021 10:22 AM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

Quote:Trust me. EKU and WKU do not fight over the same fans.
EKU local coverage is Lexington. WKU fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but their coverage is from Bowling Green and Louisville.

Yeah...that's not a major issue. Louisville may be the only true battleground. EKU is actually very slightly closer to Louisville than WKU, but not by much. I live in (and am originally from) Louisville.
11-12-2021 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.