Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pac 12 and Swac partnership
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
Pac 12 and Swac partnership
The Swac and PAC 12 signed a small series of home and home basketball games between schools. Nice to see the Pac 12 give the Swac teams home non conference games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...artnership
09-22-2021 12:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: Pac 12 and Swac partnership
ESPN is paying for it I gather. 05-ban

And the SLC wonders why no SWAC schools were interested in "moving up" to their conference. 07-coffee3
09-22-2021 02:38 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Good to see. The Pac-12 is actually putting their money where their mouths are here as opposed to just having lip service.
09-22-2021 08:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-22-2021 12:31 AM)46566 Wrote:  The Swac and PAC 12 signed a small series of home and home basketball games between schools. Nice to see the Pac 12 give the Swac teams home non conference games.

Good news for the SWAC and for the PAC. Should be some fun road trips both ways.
09-22-2021 09:08 AM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(09-22-2021 02:38 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  ESPN is paying for it I gather. 05-ban

And the SLC wonders why no SWAC schools were interested in "moving up" to their conference. 07-coffee3

I really doubt hosting 1 Pac 12 team once is more of a reason than the current SLC teams suck and are not HBCUs.
09-22-2021 09:12 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Good PR for the PAC 12, and an easy away victory. I hope some SWAC teams are able to pull the upsets.
09-22-2021 09:35 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2021 09:12 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

I really doubt hosting 1 Pac 12 team once is more of a reason than the current SLC teams suck and are not HBCUs.

That's true, but IMO, college athletics, more than anything else, even money, is about status and symbolism. Harvard isn't Harvard because it has the most money, though it does have that, but moreso because it's Harvard, with all the symbolism and status.

Similarly, albeit on a much smaller scale, for a small FCS conference like the SWAC to have a publicized relationship with the PAC is a major symbolic coup. It elevates the SWAC in a way that other FCS conferences will envy. It's not like the PAC is hiding this, it is blared across their web site, was reported in the NY Times, etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2021 09:48 AM by quo vadis.)
09-22-2021 09:47 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2021 09:35 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Good PR for the PAC 12, and an easy away victory. I hope some SWAC teams are able to pull the upsets.

They might be able to pull one off. For example, in the 2018-2019 season, Texas Southern defeated Oregon and Baylor in men's hoops.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2021 09:52 AM by quo vadis.)
09-22-2021 09:51 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(09-22-2021 09:51 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-22-2021 09:35 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  Good PR for the PAC 12, and an easy away victory. I hope some SWAC teams are able to pull the upsets.

They might be able to pull one off. For example, in the 2018-2019 season, Texas Southern defeated Oregon and Baylor in men's hoops.

They might win half the games.
09-22-2021 10:01 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-22-2021 09:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

That's true, but IMO, college athletics, more than anything else, even money, is about status and symbolism. Harvard isn't Harvard because it has the most money, though it does have that, but moreso because it's Harvard, with all the symbolism and status.

Similarly, albeit on a much smaller scale, for a small FCS conference like the SWAC to have a publicized relationship with the PAC is a major symbolic coup. It elevates the SWAC in a way that other FCS conferences will envy. It's not like the PAC is hiding this, it is blared across their web site, was reported in the NY Times, etc.

Yep. It's all about prestige.

This is why Florida State wanted to join the ACC. Georgia & Florida are fine schools, but FSU knew it was more prestigious to be publicly associated with UNC & Duke & UVA. It's paid off well for them.

This is why Oregon & Oregon State chose to stay in the PAC in the early 60s despite attending meetings to form the WAC.

This is also why Colorado (and Texas) flirted with the PAC for so many decades. And why Missouri wanted to join the Big Ten.
09-22-2021 10:42 AM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'

It's the favorable treatment these remnants of segregation era schools are getting as execs at networks are looking for ways to demonstrate their wokeness. This is likely to continue for several years, as it is part of progressive Canon. The schools, especially under competent leadership in the SWAC are taking full advantage. These are opportunities to access money these schools would not get in an ordinary non-HBCU conference. SLC leaders simply fail to recognize this.

I want to make a comment about FTT's comment about the P12 putting their money where their mouth is. But it treads into politics. All I'll say is, he noticed the NIMBY nature of progressives, such that non hypocritical behavior is both unusual and unexpected.
09-22-2021 11:07 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I'm surprised all the games are not Pac12 home games. All the SWAC schools OOC games are usually away games. That's how they fund their programs. It will be nice for them to have any OOC home games much less P5 conference teams.
09-22-2021 11:08 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-22-2021 11:07 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

It's the favorable treatment these remnants of segregation era schools are getting as execs at networks are looking for ways to demonstrate their wokeness. This is likely to continue for several years, as it is part of progressive Canon. The schools, especially under competent leadership in the SWAC are taking full advantage. These are opportunities to access money these schools would not get in an ordinary non-HBCU conference. SLC leaders simply fail to recognize this.

I want to make a comment about FTT's comment about the P12 putting their money where their mouth is. But it treads into politics. All I'll say is, he noticed the NIMBY nature of progressives, such that non hypocritical behavior is both unusual and unexpected.

I don't think there's much doubt that the BLM movement is responsible for these kinds of deals. Big corporations and institutions are affiliating with HBCUs for political reasons.

As a supporter of an HBCU, I say "Yep, we will take advantage of this". And do just that.

07-coffee3
09-22-2021 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.