Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Intercepted SEC phone call regarding return punt by Memphis against Mississippi State
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Intercepted SEC phone call regarding return punt by Memphis against Mississippi State
Background - a Memphis player picked up a live ball, after a punt, running it for a touchdown. An SEC ref came close to, but didn't, incorrectly call the play dead. Because the ref started his motion but didn't complete it --- the SEC issued a statement claiming the Memphis TD should have been called back. Posted on the Memphis board is the intercepted SEC telephone call -- the Mississippi State head coach and the SEC commissioner.

(09-20-2021 07:37 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
09-20-2021 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Intercepted SEC phone call regarding return punt by Memphis against Mississippi State
Memphis had two number 4's on the field. Play should have been called dead due to that and Memphis penalized. The end.
09-20-2021 11:02 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Intercepted SEC phone call regarding return punt by Memphis against Mississippi State
(09-20-2021 11:02 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Memphis had two number 4's on the field. Play should have been called dead due to that and Memphis penalized. The end.

Happens pretty often, rarely caught & wasn't material to the play. Only found in replay. Holding happens every play, should should we use replay to find it & penalize accordingly?
09-20-2021 11:16 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
SEC officials were the ones in error. The ball was live, the play was legal, and the touchdown was good.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 07:51 AM by Tigers2B1.)
09-21-2021 07:48 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
p
(09-20-2021 11:02 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Memphis had two number 4's on the field. Play should have been called dead due to that and Memphis penalized. The end.

09-21-2021 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I love that skit. I can't get enough of it lolololol. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
09-21-2021 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I love that skit. I can't get enough of it lolololol. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
09-21-2021 08:55 AM
BearcatInFL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Lucy
Everything about that play was awesome, except for the play-by-play announcer. Fingernails on the chalkboard.

So much fun to hear salty SEC SEC SEC fans piss and moan about getting their asses handed to them by a "lowly" AAC team!
09-21-2021 09:15 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
No Mo!!! in bold, so they know we serious
09-21-2021 09:16 AM
SouthernBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-20-2021 11:16 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Happens pretty often, rarely caught & wasn't material to the play. Only found in replay. Holding happens every play, should should we use replay to find it & penalize accordingly?

How biased did the ESPN crew need to be to scrutinize the video looking for anything that would invalidate the play.

The 2 players with the same number did not influence the play and actually happens more or less often with special teams due to the large rosters.

Focus should have been on the heads up play by Austin. He knew the rule, gambled and took advantage of it. (Unlike the Miss. State players, the ESPN announcers and media that apparently did not know the rule)

By the way, Coach Leach of Miss State and the SEC have both acknowledged that the ball was live and the officiating crew handled the play correctly by rewarding Memphis and Calvin Austin with the touchdown.
09-21-2021 09:18 AM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2021 09:18 AM)SouthernBlue Wrote:  

How biased did the ESPN crew need to be to scrutinize the video looking for anything that would invalidate the play.

The 2 players with the same number did not influence the play and actually happens more or less often with special teams due to the large rosters.

Focus should have been on the heads up play by Austin. He knew the rule, gambled and took advantage of it. (Unlike the Miss. State players, the ESPN announcers and media that apparently did not know the rule)

By the way, Coach Leach of Miss State and the SEC have both acknowledged that the ball was live and the officiating crew handled the play correctly by rewarding Memphis and Calvin Austin with the touchdown.

Memphis had already gone ahead before that play, and they still would have had the ball. If Moo State stopped them the entire strategy of the game would have changed. Memphis would have defended differently if they were only up one score instead of two.

Bottom line is that was a heads up play by Austin, and when he turned on the jets nobody was going to catch him. 60 million budget to our 7 million. F the SEC.
09-21-2021 09:32 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

It may happen but it's still illegal, and should not have happened. It's a penalty, and therefore the play should not have happened.

Obviously, it wasn't called, and therefore the play stood, but it should have been called, and Memphis penalized and play negated. Those are the facts.
09-21-2021 09:36 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2021 08:37 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

Right, the SEC official almost made a bad call but he didn't. Even Mississippi state's coach said they should not have let the ball rolling around on the field live like it did. So in reality the SEC is guilty of making two errors and Memphis is guilty of making a smart heads-up play. Whose fault is that.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 10:00 AM by TIGERCITY.)
09-21-2021 10:00 AM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(09-21-2021 09:36 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

It may happen but it's still illegal, and should not have happened. It's a penalty, and therefore the play should not have happened.

Obviously, it wasn't called, and therefore the play stood, but it should have been called, and Memphis penalized and play negated. Those are the facts.

Here are a few other facts: Officials miss a great many things during the course of a game and all the discussion related to any of it can be placed in the Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda whining of the losing teams fans. The only fact of any relevance that actually counts is that we won and the game goes in our left hand column.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 10:50 AM by RockyMTNTiger.)
09-21-2021 10:36 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
finally memphis being a bully thug to somebody other than houston, great play
09-21-2021 10:42 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2021 10:42 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  finally memphis being a bully thug to somebody other than houston, great play

03-lmfao
09-21-2021 11:00 AM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators

And Joey Magnifico caught the ball at Temple, what's your point?
09-21-2021 11:23 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2021 11:23 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  

And Joey Magnifico caught the ball at Temple, what's your point?

That Memphis got a free gift they did not deserve.

Sure, it counted. Congratulations on win. But the fact is it shouldn’t have counted. Make all the excuses you want about refs missing calls every play but the fact is Memphis used illegal numbers and it should have been called dead. It wasn’t.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021 11:26 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
09-21-2021 11:24 AM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

Coulda Woulda Shoulda ............. once the ball is snapped on the next play it's a moot point.

Officials make mistakes on almost every single play.

Memphis has lost its share of games before due to piss poor officiating.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-21-2021 01:23 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
If you want to troll the SEC, bring Memphis to the Big 12. UAB/Coastal/Georgia State upgrade.
09-21-2021 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.