Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCS Call Ups
BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big East
FCS Call Ups
Last round of realignment we saw quite a few FCS teams move on up to the FBS level to help fill the ranks of the Sun Belt and CUSA rosters. Teams like App St, UTSA, Liberty, Coastal etc.

With this next round of dominoes falling who are the most likely to get an invite and move on up? This is of course within the current conferences and not some new WAC FB conference.

JMU had the chance last time but turned it down. Would they reconsider now? Delaware has been a consistently good at the FCS level and could fit in with a CUSA/Sun Belt Eastern division.

On the western side you have the Dakota States both North and South who have been power houses at the FCS level. Also Montana who would be a good fit with the both of them at the next level.

Missouri State has seem to been on the cusp of a move up.

I don't know if the state of Texas can support any more FBS programs so I dont know if a Sam Houston or a SFA would be able to get an invite.
09-18-2021 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
RE: FCS Call Ups
There's really no need in this round. C-USA is bloated at 14. The MAC has FBS football-only options of it winds up at 9 or 11 members. Why divide the pie more than you have to?

If enough rolls downhill to drop the Sun Belt below eight full members, there might be a chance at call ups. Even then NMSU might still be available.

If the WAC is allowed to move schools to FBS, I could see the floodgates open. If it is done in a generalized manner (no conference invite necessary), the Atlantic Sun and MVFC may also be in play.
09-18-2021 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
JMU I think is pretty close to a lock to move up.
09-18-2021 04:20 PM
BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-18-2021 04:09 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  There's really no need in this round. C-USA is bloated at 14. The MAC has FBS football-only options of it winds up at 9 or 11 members. Why divide the pie more than you have to?

If enough rolls downhill to drop the Sun Belt below eight full members, there might be a chance at call ups. Even then NMSU might still be available.

If the WAC is allowed to move schools to FBS, I could see the floodgates open. If it is done in a generalized manner (no conference invite necessary), the Atlantic Sun and MVFC may also be in play.

CUSA could lose 3 and Sun Belt 1 and both could want to be back at even numbers. Sun Belt at 9 members could only play a 16 game BBall schedule and having a 10th they could play a 18 game schedule. I think its more likely we get 1 or 2 than 0 this round. If the forever rumored geographic splt between those two conferences ever occurs you could see some more movement.
09-18-2021 05:58 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
There are schools in FBS is not desirable. There are schools in FBS who are not wanted like New Mexico State, La.-Monroe, Texas State, etc. There are better FCS options that could get you a better tv deal.
09-18-2021 07:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Delaware
Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State
09-18-2021 07:24 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I would agree both conferences are more likely to land at even numbers in football. If the AAC takes Rice (or UTSA), ODU, and Marshall from C-USA, and Georgia State from the Sun Belt, it's possible Charlotte could be encouraged to return to the Sun Belt (admittedly, it's been 3 decades since the 49ers were in the SBC), and that would close up both openings. The more likely scenario is that C-USA takes App State and leaves the Sun Belt with 8 members in football. The Sun Belt likely dips into the Atlantic Sun and poached out any FBS-aspiring schools.

AAC West - Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Navy/Wichita State
AAC East - Temple, Marshall, ODU, USF, Georgia State, East Carolina

CUSA West - UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, USM, UAB
CUSA East - FAU, FIU, MTSU, WKU, Charlotte, App State

SBC West - Texas State, Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, USA
SBC East - Troy, Georgia So, CCU, EKU, Kennesaw State
09-18-2021 07:28 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(09-18-2021 07:13 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  There are schools in FBS is not desirable. There are schools in FBS who are not wanted like New Mexico State, La.-Monroe, Texas State, etc. There are better FCS options that could get you a better tv deal.

Yup, that's why NDSU gets the 330pm slot every week on ABC. Does your delusion ever end?
09-18-2021 07:40 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-18-2021 07:40 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 07:13 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  There are schools in FBS is not desirable. There are schools in FBS who are not wanted like New Mexico State, La.-Monroe, Texas State, etc. There are better FCS options that could get you a better tv deal.

Yup, that's why NDSU gets the 330pm slot every week on ABC. Does your delusion ever end?

North Dakota State>New Mexico State
09-18-2021 07:47 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Texas State is one of the better programs in the Sun Belt...
09-18-2021 07:56 PM
BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-18-2021 07:28 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  I would agree both conferences are more likely to land at even numbers in football. If the AAC takes Rice (or UTSA), ODU, and Marshall from C-USA, and Georgia State from the Sun Belt, it's possible Charlotte could be encouraged to return to the Sun Belt (admittedly, it's been 3 decades since the 49ers were in the SBC), and that would close up both openings. The more likely scenario is that C-USA takes App State and leaves the Sun Belt with 8 members in football. The Sun Belt likely dips into the Atlantic Sun and poached out any FBS-aspiring schools.

AAC West - Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Navy/Wichita State
AAC East - Temple, Marshall, ODU, USF, Georgia State, East Carolina

CUSA West - UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, USM, UAB
CUSA East - FAU, FIU, MTSU, WKU, Charlotte, App State

SBC West - Texas State, Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, USA
SBC East - Troy, Georgia So, CCU, EKU, Kennesaw State

I don't think CUSA can poach from the Sun Belt. I think the Sun Belt has the leverage to take from CUSA. Also UAB is getting into the AAC thats pretty much a given. Thats like Cincy to the XII, in every scenario they get an invite. I could see the Sun Belt nabbing a ODU or Marshall or both from a depleted CUSA with a terrible TV deal. The fact the Sun Belt is with ESPN and it's very easy to find their games makes them the more desirable of the two conferences.
09-18-2021 08:32 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(09-18-2021 04:20 PM)stever20 Wrote:  JMU I think is pretty close to a lock to move up.

Are you seeing or hearing something on this one? I feel like we’ve been here on them for ages. This time is going to be THE time it happens? And where do they land?

I still like Delaware, too.
09-18-2021 11:44 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(09-18-2021 11:44 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 04:20 PM)stever20 Wrote:  JMU I think is pretty close to a lock to move up.

Are you seeing or hearing something on this one? I feel like we’ve been here on them for ages. This time is going to be THE time it happens? And where do they land?

I still like Delaware, too.

Think I saw something a few weeks ago.

They are doing really well in FCS right now. Would be a natural for a conference like the Sun Belt I think.
09-19-2021 12:22 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
(09-18-2021 05:58 PM)BigEastMike Wrote:  [quote='chargeradio' pid='17650937' dateline='1631999395']
There's really no need in this round. C-USA is bloated at 14. The MAC has FBS football-only options of it winds up at 9 or 11 members.

Why divide the pie more than you have to?

Because, to put it facetiously, pie is tasty, and the more the merrier.

Seriously though, if anyone is arguing that the current FBS schools should be stingy and try to keep it all for themselves, they're going to get a few jeers from the peanut gallery.

More importantly, the networks have made it clear that they've got the cash and they're willing to dish it around so they can serve up a wider and wider palette of programming for their viewers. Moreover, if we value higher education, as most of us do, why shouldn't more of the nation's universities benefit from it?

Besides, D1A/FBS has been adding schools at a steady pace, since the late 1980s. It is an ongoing process. Most people are only talking about adding another batch of 5 or 6 schools. The changes will hardly be noticeable, and the networks have made it clear that they will adjust the revenues accordingly.

If that doesn't convince you, consider this:

If the Big 12 epansion has taught us anything, it is that there is going to be a need for more FBS schools, from the vantage point of the G5 conferences. Conferences generate more revenue based on their viewership. Conference growth has clearly been good for the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL and for the P5 conferences. It can also be good for the G5 conferences.

Every FB or BB game is considered a product by the broadcasters. The more product they can offer, and the wider the variety to appeal to the widest possible audience, th better.

That's why the Big 12 is planning to expand to 16, and is already talking about a future expansion to 20.

It's also why the AAC is planning to replace all four of the departing schools, rather than to stay put at 10 schools. If they stay put at 10, the AAC/ESPN+ package is going to generate substantially less viewership than if there are 12 AAC FB/BB teams. More product, more variety = more viewership.

The MWC has learned how to make it work for them, as reflected in their current broadcasting deal, and it's only a matter of time before the MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt do, as well.

This is what's likely to happen:

When the Big 12 expands to 16 teams/sport, like the SEC, there will be 73 P5 schools (up from 65 currently). There will only be 57 G5 schools (down from the current 65) left for the five G5 conferences (11.4 teams per conference, assuming that all of the independents would join G5 conferences) when the Big 12 expansion is complete.. The problem is that most conferences want to have 12 members, and there simply won't be enough to go around when the Big 12 adds 8 G5 schools, which they might could do within the next 5-6 years.

New Total: 57 G5 schools

The AAC plans to add 4 teams by 2024 (e.g., 2 from the MWC and 2 from CUSA or the SBC), to maintain a membership of 12.

57-12=45 non-AAC G5 schools left to split among the 4 other G5 conferences.

The MWC may lose at least 2 members (CSU & AF) to the AAC, and will probably try to replace them.

45=12=33 non-AAC, non-MWC G5 schools left to split by the MAC, CUSA, & SBC.

The CUSA has 14 schools. If it wishes to maintain that number of members:

33-14=19 non AAC, non MWC, non CUSA G5 schools for the MAC & SBC.

The MAC has 12 schools. If it wishes to maintain that number:

19-12=7 G5/indy non AAC, non MWC, non CUSA, non MAC schools.

What will be left at that point? Just seven FBS schools.

Let's check these computations:

12 (AAC) + 12 (MWC) + 14 (CUSA) + 12 (MAC)=50 schools; remainder=7.

So if you're a Sun Belt Conference fan, you look at these numbers and you realize that the SBC probably can't survive unless some CUSA teams join the Sun Belt, or unless some more FCS schools make the transition to FBS before the Big 12 doubles in size to 16.

Hypothetic example:

Suppose that the 6 remaining schools (56-50, above) represent the core of Sun Belt schools that would remain after they are raided by other conferences.

As soon as the Sun Belt sees this coming down the road, they go into action. They can't add any independents, because all the independents will have already been distributed to the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and AAC by that point.

Their only option, if they want to remain in existence, would be to add at least 4 and more probably 6 FCS-to-FBS schools, and to do so expeditiously.

Q: Why would the Sun Belt bear the brunt of this?

A: They may not, but they seem most likely to, because they are the smallest G5 conference. Losing two schools would push the SBC to the brink. Losing three and not being able to replace them would put them out of business.

The conferences with 12 full members could lose 4 members and muddle on for a few years, if needed, but the MWC and AAC only have 11 full members, and the SBC only has 10. In these times of massive realignment, 12 is a good minimum to shoot for.

Moreover, the Sun Belt has brought more schools up from FCS than any other conference. They've proven that they are able to add new FBS schools very successfully, as attested to by App. State and Coastal Carolina's recent successes.

Schools that made FCS-to-FBS transition since 2000: Total: 15 FCS-to-FBS schools

Independents:
UMass 2013 MAC
Liberty 2018 indy
UConn 2000 Big East

CUSA (5 recent FCS to FBS members): First season: 1996 (6 members)
FAU 2004
FIU 2005
WKU 2008
ODU 2014
Charlotte 2015

The CUSA had the foresight to add 5 FCS to FBS members, and this has made them the least vulnerable G5 conference.

SBC (7 current FCS to FBS members): First season: 2010 (7 members)
Coastal Carolina 2017
Texas State 2012
GA State 2013
GA Southern 2014
App St. 2014
S. Alabama 2013
UTSA 2012

The Sun Belt, quite simply, has had to add new FCS to FBS schools from its beginnings. Thus far, it has been the way they do business, and this may continue for a little while longer

Here are some of the schools that mad the transition to FBS before 2000:

Akron 1986 (MAC)
UAB 1987 (CUSA)
La. Tech 1989 (CUSA)
Nevada 1991 (MAC)
Ark. St. 1992
Louisiana-Monroe 1994 (CUSA)
N. Texas 1994 (CUSA)
UCF 1996 (AAC)
Boise St. 1996 (MWC)
Buffalo 1999 (MAC)
MTSU 1999 (CUSA)

This has simply become the natural order of things. Schools make the FCS-to-FBS transition to restock the 10 FBS conferences.

On average, roughly 1 FCS school has made the transition to FBS, per year, since the late 1980s.

Only two schools (Liberty & Coastal) have made the transition in the past 6 years, and so it's not surprising that people are talking about adding a new batch of FCS to FBS schools.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021 05:12 AM by Milwaukee.)
09-19-2021 04:19 AM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-18-2021 07:24 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  Delaware
Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State

I would add Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St., NC A&T, and Youngstown St. to that list of potential FCS call ups.
09-19-2021 04:22 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(09-19-2021 04:22 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  
Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State

I would add Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St., NC A&T, and Youngstown St. to that list of potential FCS call ups.

Others who have been in the rumor mill
Kennesaw State
Lamar
Sam Houston
McNeese St
Central Arkansas
Sure there are more I cant think of at the moment
09-19-2021 08:52 AM
Advertisement

BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State

Can the state of NC support 8 FBS teams though?
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021 10:05 AM by BigEastMike.)
09-19-2021 10:04 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(09-19-2021 10:04 AM)BigEastMike Wrote:  
Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State

The question isn’t whether the state can support it, it’s whether the school can draw support. State population isn’t really relevant here; if a small state is big on football, then there’s no reason they can’t have more FBS programs than a large state (like New Jersey) that barely supports the one school it has. Per capita is a curiosity, not a requisite.
09-19-2021 10:12 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-18-2021 04:09 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  There's really no need in this round. C-USA is bloated at 14. The MAC has FBS football-only options of it winds up at 9 or 11 members. Why divide the pie more than you have to?

And the number of southern non P5 FBS teams has increased from 14 to 32 in the last 25 years and from 19 to 32 since 2005. They are diluting the talent pool. The existing schools should avoid callups. In the midwest and northeast college enrollments are falling, so there's no need for additional schools up there. 30 years ago, Southern Illinois had over 20,000 students, but now is only a little over 11,000.
09-19-2021 10:16 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(09-19-2021 10:04 AM)BigEastMike Wrote:  
Missouri State
JMU
NDSU
SDSU
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Montana State

All may be called FBS but NC, NC State, WF and Duke are at a different level. Maybe not competitively but money wise. Two different worlds in the groups.
09-19-2021 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.