Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strange Times
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Strange Times
We've got open participation on here from multiple non SBC Schools, and its not trolling. Meanwhile, the CUSA board feels like someone intruding on a funeral.

WKU fans are actually game planning what their FBS independent football schedule would look like.
CLT is posting pictures of Judy and her toy jeep
USM fans want to know what the exit fees are
La Tech fans are quiet
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2021 09:40 PM by chiefsfan.)
09-15-2021 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Strange Times
I remember being pretty down when WKU and MTSU left the Belt, although I thought losing FAU and FIU was probably a positive. Still, it looked like CUSA would leave the Belt in the dust. Amazingly, our leadership has caught up and passed CUSA. I am proud and happy for what the league has accomplished whether or not we continue to be members of the Belt.
09-15-2021 09:45 PM
cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-15-2021 09:39 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We've got open participation on here from multiple non SBC Schools, and its not trolling. Meanwhile, the CUSA board feels like someone intruding on a funeral.

WKU fans are actually game planning what their FBS independent football schedule would look like.
La Tech fans are quiet

I’m one of those guys. I’ve been disillusioned with CUSA for years. Looking at my rep history you can see once I loved following our conference but it’s dead. The rumors or vibe that’s been going on for a few months but has kicked into overdrive the last few weeks has got me interested again. I’m hoping this isn’t forloned dreams, but I’m excited USM is being mentioned as a possible candidate for the Belt.
09-15-2021 09:56 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
This has to be the only time I remember such absolute uncertainty!

I mean I’m on the Sun Belt board and I’m not inquiring about some vintage logo or past uniform!!!
09-15-2021 10:13 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(09-15-2021 09:39 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We've got open participation on here from multiple non SBC Schools, and its not trolling. Meanwhile, the CUSA board feels like someone intruding on a funeral.

La Tech fans are quiet

They need to dial 1-800-MACTION, now!
09-15-2021 10:20 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(09-15-2021 10:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

La Tech fans are quiet

They need to dial 1-800-MACTION, now!

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
09-15-2021 11:32 PM
Advertisement

Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-15-2021 10:13 PM)esayem Wrote:  This has to be the only time I remember such absolute uncertainty!

I mean I’m on the Sun Belt board and I’m not inquiring about some vintage logo or past uniform!!!

Lol my how the tables have turned.
09-16-2021 06:38 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(09-15-2021 09:45 PM)mjs Wrote:  I remember being pretty down when WKU and MTSU left the Belt, although I thought losing FAU and FIU was probably a positive. Still, it looked like CUSA would leave the Belt in the dust. Amazingly, our leadership has caught up and passed CUSA. I am proud and happy for what the league has accomplished whether or not we continue to be members of the Belt.

I think Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky would've stayed if Wright Waters didn't take so many opportunities to push them out the door during his tenure. But Keith Gill is a much better commissioner than Waters and way beyond Judy MacLeod.

I know I've been hard on Karl Benson, and maybe that's largely to do with the WAC, and he and BYU nearly pulled a coup on the Mountain West, and the WAC implosion wasn't solely his blame. The additions of Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were solid moves, but you already know that. Adding Coastal Carolina, as well, was another good move.

Conference USA wouldn't be in such a bad place if they had someone like Gill in charge.
09-16-2021 06:48 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-16-2021 06:48 AM)All4One Wrote:  
(09-15-2021 09:45 PM)mjs Wrote:  I remember being pretty down when WKU and MTSU left the Belt, although I thought losing FAU and FIU was probably a positive. Still, it looked like CUSA would leave the Belt in the dust. Amazingly, our leadership has caught up and passed CUSA. I am proud and happy for what the league has accomplished whether or not we continue to be members of the Belt.

I think Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky would've stayed if Wright Waters didn't take so many opportunities to push them out the door during his tenure. But Keith Gill is a much better commissioner than Waters and way beyond Judy MacLeod.

I know I've been hard on Karl Benson, and maybe that's largely to do with the WAC, and he and BYU nearly pulled a coup on the Mountain West, and the WAC implosion wasn't solely his blame. The additions of Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were solid moves, but you already know that. Adding Coastal Carolina, as well, was another good move.

Conference USA wouldn't be in such a bad place if they had someone like Gill in charge.

Push them out the door. How exactly?

Put WKU as our representative to the BCS when they said they wouldn’t move up from FCS. Insistent that MTSU be a full member when they wanted football only?

Only thing they didn’t get that they wanted was the conference tournament in Nashville because none of the venues in Nashville wanted it.

What a load of crap. Waters had been gone for Benson for more than a year when they left. That’s like someone moving to Canada in 2022 because they don’t like Trump being president. Load of bull
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021 08:17 AM by arkstfan.)
09-16-2021 08:15 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-16-2021 08:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Put WKU as our representative to the BCS when they said they wouldn’t move up from FCS. Insistent that MTSU be a full member when they wanted football only?

Only thing they didn’t get that they wanted was the conference tournament in Nashville because none of the venues in Nashville wanted it.

Bingo! Wright Waters catered to WKU and MTSU. Crapped on stAte and Louisiana.
09-16-2021 08:17 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-16-2021 08:17 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

MTSU president threatened to leave when Georgia State was brought in by Benson.

On the other hand WKU did convince Benson to suspend an AState player ahead of the WKU game. Benson also tried to keep AState out of a bowl when bylaws said we had to be placed so WKU could go.
09-16-2021 08:25 AM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Former WKU president Gary Ransdall thought he was the commissioner. Every time the league changed basketball scheduling criteria, Ransdall was behind it. And, the league catered to them.
09-16-2021 08:32 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Here's a little blast from the past.

The people who thought it was a silly notion then probably don't now.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-739899.html

(06-09-2015 03:24 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  USM will someday defect to the Belt. Heard it here first.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021 08:35 AM by EigenEagle.)
09-16-2021 08:34 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

(09-16-2021 08:25 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

On the other hand WKU did convince Benson to suspend an AState player ahead of the WKU game. Benson also tried to keep AState out of a bowl when bylaws said we had to be placed so WKU could go.

Benson did keep a good Middle Tennessee team out of a bowl in 2012, and Waters did the same in 2001.
09-16-2021 08:41 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR

What a load of crap. Waters had been gone for Benson for more than a year when they left. That’s like someone moving to Canada in 2022 because they don’t like Trump being president. Load of bull

I was told that WKU and MTSU were the main force behind moving the basketball tournament out of Hot Springs. Once that was accomplished they left the conference. Let them sink with CUSA.
09-16-2021 08:43 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(09-16-2021 08:34 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Here's a little blast from the past.

(06-09-2015 03:24 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  USM will someday defect to the Belt. Heard it here first.

Who was your inside source?03-lmfao
09-16-2021 08:46 AM
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

(09-16-2021 08:43 AM)mjs Wrote:  

I was told that WKU and MTSU were the main force behind moving the basketball tournament out of Hot Springs. Once that was accomplished they left the conference. Let them sink with CUSA.

They're not going to sink. CUSA will still have a conference when it's all done.
09-16-2021 08:57 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU

La Tech fans are quiet

I typed out a hypothetical independence schedule to squash any ideas that we should consider it long term. Right now our preference would be an AAC invite (hah, not happening), the AAC picking apart the MWC and leaving us alone (also not happening), a MAC or SBC invite, some sort of temporary independence with assurances we get an invite somewhere after the 2024/25 realignment wave happens. Long term independence is a death sentence to football.
09-16-2021 09:00 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(09-16-2021 08:34 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Here's a little blast from the past.

It's funny when you come across one of your posts in an old thread, it seems like someone else must have written it because it doesn't feel familiar or written in wording/phrases that you don't think you would have used.
09-16-2021 09:31 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-16-2021 08:41 AM)All4One Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 08:25 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 06:48 AM)All4One Wrote:  I think Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky would've stayed if Wright Waters didn't take so many opportunities to push them out the door during his tenure. But Keith Gill is a much better commissioner than Waters and way beyond Judy MacLeod.

Benson did keep a good Middle Tennessee team out of a bowl in 2012, and Waters did the same in 2001.

In 2001, MT and North Texas tied for the league title. The league had only one bowl tie in, as it was their first year as an FBS football conference. MT had the better overall record but North Texas won the head to head and got the bowl bid. Because head to head was the tiebreaker agreed by the membership. No one kept MT out of a bowl game in 2001. They kept themselves out by losing to North Texas.
09-16-2021 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.