Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alright Houston fans, I’ve gotta ask
Bookmark and Share
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Alright Houston fans, I’ve gotta ask
Thoughts on Dana Holgerson? I thought he had terrible luck at wvu with injuries at bad times etc. Also thought that he struggled with things off the field. He wasn’t he best recruiter and wasn’t the best with the donors and alums. Always felt like he struggled with 2nd half adjustments and let some leads slip away.

Jackson
09-15-2021 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
RE: Alright Houston fans, I’ve gotta ask
yup sounds about right... dude is a loser... want dana out of houston ASAP
09-15-2021 05:31 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
This is a make or break year for him. Wish the guy all the best. He is not the most engaging personality as a coach just hearing him speak on tv. Personally never met the guy. He wins this year we keep'em. Need to be kept on ashort leash.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2021 05:44 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
09-15-2021 05:43 PM
Charlie Broadway Offline
2nd String

Not a fan
09-15-2021 09:06 PM
Advertisement

Coog82 Offline
2nd String

(09-15-2021 04:46 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  Thoughts on Dana Holgerson? I thought he had terrible luck at wvu with injuries at bad times etc. Also thought that he struggled with things off the field. He wasn’t he best recruiter and wasn’t the best with the donors and alums. Always felt like he struggled with 2nd half adjustments and let some leads slip away.

Jackson

It's almost as if you have been reading one of our boards word for word. Everything you mentioned is still Dana. We were hoping to get the OC Dana from 2008 at Houston with an exciting offense, but instead got this...whatever this is.

He doesn't want to recruit at all, and uses the transfer portal way too much. It's as if he has just given up and is ready to retire. My hope is we can help him out with that.

We might have a good record at the end of this year, but it will only be due to one of the weakest schedules we have had in 20 years. He needs to go.
09-15-2021 09:46 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

no one really likes him and this year he may get a go because our schedule is super weak. because of that there is a good chance he will be back next year. but to be honest it is hard to tell for me

our QB is an interception machine and just an odd sequence of events but overall the program is not as inspiring as it should be. im still hoping for the best but everything points to he is not the answer.
09-15-2021 09:54 PM
ElectricCoogaloo Offline
Special Teams

He's clearly phoning it in. How he managed to go 3 years here with the same awful QB is just inexcusable.
09-16-2021 08:55 AM
Advertisement

J Coog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
I am in the minority but I have definitely seen progress. Unfortunately, it hasn't really shown up in the W-L record. My opinion is that Dana inherited a soft team of pretty pedestrian talent. Remember we gave up 70 points to Army! in Applewhite's last game. I know that Army is very good but they should never be able to hang 70 on any FBS team (in a bowl game no less) based on talent availability alone. I also think he was about to bench D'Eriq King and the whole redshirt thing was to give him cover in the hopes that he would stay. We all saw how that worked out - he clearly lost that gamble.

Since he has gotten here the effort has improved, the guys are tougher, and the depth is getting better, though still not where it needs to be, especially in the OL. It is unclear if he has actively been recruiting a QB and has been unsuccessful or if he truly chooses to sink or swim with Tune. My main concern is strength and conditioning - we do seem to tire late in games, although some of that can be attributed to a lack of depth. Do you have any thoughts on his S&C program while in Morgantown?
09-16-2021 09:34 AM
Agust Offline
1st String

(09-16-2021 09:34 AM)J Coog Wrote:  I am in the minority but I have definitely seen progress. Unfortunately, it hasn't really shown up in the W-L record. My opinion is that Dana inherited a soft team of pretty pedestrian talent. Remember we gave up 70 points to Army! in Applewhite's last game. I know that Army is very good but they should never be able to hang 70 on any FBS team (in a bowl game no less) based on talent availability alone. I also think he was about to bench D'Eriq King and the whole redshirt thing was to give him cover in the hopes that he would stay. We all saw how that worked out - he clearly lost that gamble.

Since he has gotten here the effort has improved, the guys are tougher, and the depth is getting better, though still not where it needs to be, especially in the OL. It is unclear if he has actively been recruiting a QB and has been unsuccessful or if he truly chooses to sink or swim with Tune. My main concern is strength and conditioning - we do seem to tire late in games, although some of that can be attributed to a lack of depth. Do you have any thoughts on his S&C program while in Morgantown?

i think our defense just went downhill when we ran that gimmick offense. dont get me wrong it was nice but clearly we shouldve never done that.
there has been improvement on the defense side and that is what makes it hard for me to make a sound judgement.
09-16-2021 01:45 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Even if Dana has a good season I think is time to put a national replacement research in place and begin the interviews.
09-16-2021 10:06 PM
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
I initially liked the hire due to his time here as our OC. But so far, I've been very disappointed, so much so that I want him gone now. (But I admit I'm growing a little impatient as I get a little older. I'm just about to reach what is considered middle age.)

I think he has to turn it around this year in order for us to justify keeping him. If he doesn't, he has to be given the heave ho. After that, I'd love to see us go after former Boise State and Washington head coach Chris Petersen. He's show he can compete in a P5 conference at a school that may not be among the most elite programs in college football.
09-16-2021 11:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
There's a lot of grumblings out there, but if he manages to turn things around, he might just buy himself more time, now that he'll be recruiting to a P5 school in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. This season will decide his fate.

He was a genius at OC under Sumlin, maybe he needs to start taking the over the offensive reigns a bit more?

Anyway, I think President Khator's (in)famous quote about firing coaches that go 7-4 will come into play later this season.
09-17-2021 10:38 AM
whiteman Offline
1st String

(09-17-2021 10:38 AM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  Anyway, I think President Khator's (in)famous quote about firing coaches that go 7-4 will come into play later this season.

8-4
09-17-2021 12:13 PM
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

(09-17-2021 10:38 AM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  There's a lot of grumblings out there, but if he manages to turn things around, he might just buy himself more time, now that he'll be recruiting to a P5 school in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. This season will decide his fate.

He was a genius at OC under Sumlin, maybe he needs to start taking the over the offensive reigns a bit more?

Anyway, I think President Khator's (in)famous quote about firing coaches that go 7-4 will come into play later this season.
But the thing is is Dana doesn’t recruit or doesn’t know how to, just because he’s in a A conference won’t help, it could be A5000 conference and he’s still a no show when it comes to recruiting
09-17-2021 01:35 PM
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(09-17-2021 01:35 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 10:38 AM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  There's a lot of grumblings out there, but if he manages to turn things around, he might just buy himself more time, now that he'll be recruiting to a P5 school in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. This season will decide his fate.

But the thing is is Dana doesn’t recruit or doesn’t know how to, just because he’s in a A conference won’t help, it could be A5000 conference and he’s still a no show when it comes to recruiting

Ya, I'm not saying I believe in him, but I do think he's got this year to put up or shut up, and so we'll have to sweat it out.

But I do gotta say I don't want us to tank this season just to get him fired, I would like to see him get us on track. May very well be wishful thinking, and I understand you're convinced he can't/won't and you may be right, but I just can't help but root for us to start winning now.
09-17-2021 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.