NIU vs Wisconsin vball sold out
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
NIU vs Wisconsin vball sold out
See the attached...

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/9/14/wo...d-out.aspx

Added note: called office re move to main Convo, was told it was discussed but staff wanted a tighter, more charged atmosphere rather than spaced out in a bigger arena..
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 06:52 PM by pvk75.)
09-14-2021 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: NIU vs Wisconsin vball sold out
(09-14-2021 03:34 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  See the attached...

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/9/14/wo...d-out.aspx

Added note: called office re movrf to main Convo, was told it was discussed but staff wanted a tighter, more charged atmosphere rather than spaced out in a bigger arena..

Great to hear!
09-14-2021 03:51 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Awesome. Looks like that smaller venue holds about 800 people. Should be rocking.
09-14-2021 04:07 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(09-14-2021 03:34 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Added note: called office re movrf to main Convo, was told it was discussed but staff wanted a tighter, more charged atmosphere rather than spaced out in a bigger arena..

Playing devil's advocate: STF probably shot that idea down when told it would cost money to drill holes to anchor the volleyball posts.
Don't doubt that Victor E. Court provides "a tighter, more charged atmosphere," but the potential for a special turnout is being lost. Simply use lower bowl seats, have the Huskie Show Band at one end, bouncy house or other kid-friendly activities at opposite end.

Devil's advocate part II: Don't doubt that it will technically be a sellout, however, website states Victor E. Court is an "800-seat gymnasium", so even with additional chair seats spread around, there's no way a school record crowd should be claimed. Those who remember Pete Waite's NCAA volleyball squads can recall Evans Field House days when a group of students in Firefighter hats were vocal and their antics were part of a couple of near 3,000 turnouts. At the very least, there was also the historic doubleheader when Waite's Huskies defeated Illinois State in an NCAA first-round match that was followed by the women's basketball season opener against USC's Women of Troy featuring Lisa Leslie on the court and the coaching debut of Cheryl Miller. Volleyball did win, but hoops fell short that night.
09-14-2021 04:10 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
If this isn’t held in the lower bowl of the convo then people should be fired! I don’t care if Ray Gooden or STF or the NIU President wants this to be held in victor E court it’s the wrong decision! You had might as well start playing men’s and women’s basketball games in victor court based on this stupid logic.
09-14-2021 06:36 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

UW Volleyball has sold out every home game this year with 7540 people at all games. Literally 7x our average men's basketball attendance in 19-20. Being 90 minutes away from Madison, NIU easily could've had one of its highest attended events at the Convo all year. UW Played at Marquette on Sunday and had 3,300 in attendance, double the 1,500 Kentucky-MU drew the night before.
09-14-2021 06:37 PM
Advertisement

dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I have attended so many basketball games in the convo and the truth is with 1500 people in there it can get extremely loud. There’s a more than likely chance this match would be the highest attendance NIU event this calendar sports year.
09-14-2021 06:42 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Apparently NIU isn’t worried about COVID!
09-14-2021 07:01 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(09-14-2021 06:37 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  UW Volleyball has sold out every home game this year with 7540 people at all games. Literally 7x our average men's basketball attendance in 19-20. Being 90 minutes away from Madison, NIU easily could've had one of its highest attended events at the Convo all year. UW Played at Marquette on Sunday and had 3,300 in attendance, double the 1,500 Kentucky-MU drew the night before.

This might play into not having it in the Convo. We don't want to play an away game in DeKalb with 6,000 Wisconsin fans in the building.
09-14-2021 07:33 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Sounds like we’re cowards! We will be turning away NIU students and local young girls, bad idea! If U of I came here to play NIU in men’s basketball they would have many more fans in attendance than NIU. Would people suggest that they play in victor e court to preserve a home court advantage or have a big crowd?
09-14-2021 08:12 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Wouldn’t have enough concessions, any way.
09-14-2021 08:13 PM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I don’t know much about volleyball but how long can three games take playing the #2 team in the country? I just checked the Wisc website and the are 6-0, winning four of the matches 3-0 and the other 3-1 both against teams ranked in the top ten.

They also have four local ladies (Geneva, Naperville, Riverside Brookfield, and Downers Grove).
09-14-2021 08:28 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(09-14-2021 06:37 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  UW Volleyball has sold out every home game this year with 7540 people at all games. Literally 7x our average men's basketball attendance in 19-20. Being 90 minutes away from Madison, NIU easily could've had one of its highest attended events at the Convo all year. UW Played at Marquette on Sunday and had 3,300 in attendance, double the 1,500 Kentucky-MU drew the night before.

If this is true it is pretty lame they did not open it up to the larger venue, even if 63% of the crowd was pro UW. Would be nice to just make an extra 40k off some UW fans.

Sean Frazier really does suck, how can we organize a pro-dismissal message?
09-14-2021 08:36 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Ah, it’s too much work to have big crowds. Who needs the hassle.
09-14-2021 08:41 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
(09-14-2021 08:41 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Ah, it’s too much work to have big crowds. Who needs the hassle.

that means the H word... there's a shortage damn it.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 08:54 PM by prairiedawg.)
09-14-2021 08:54 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

making your team play in a venue they've never played in to sell more tickets is lame. how is it any different than punting on home games to play them in chicago for football?

And yes I know Victor E Court is literally in the convo so it's not apples to apples. But let them play where they always do in front of a majority NIU crowd.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021 09:17 PM by 7.)
09-14-2021 09:16 PM
Advertisement

prairiedawg Offline
All American

(09-14-2021 09:16 PM)7 Wrote:  making your team play in a venue they've never played in to sell more tickets is lame. how is it any different than punting on home games to play them in chicago for football?

And yes I know Victor E Court is literally in the convo so it's not apples to apples. But let them play where they always do in front of a majority NIU crowd.

+1
09-14-2021 09:22 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Teams play road games don’t they. Chickenshit NIU! Don’t announce it’s a sellout like you did something special. 800 people, you’re hosting the no.2 team in the nation so it’s not a big accomplishment
09-14-2021 09:30 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

(09-14-2021 09:30 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Teams play road games don’t they. Chickenshit NIU! Don’t announce it’s a sellout like you did something special. 800 people, you’re hosting the no.2 team in the nation so it’s not a big accomplishment

shattup.
09-14-2021 09:46 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

No
09-14-2021 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.