Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 and SEC football scheduling
Bookmark and Share
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Just pondering this morning...

...will "the alliance" try to freeze the Big 12 out by not scheduling non-conference football games against its members, in an effort to distance the B10/ACC/Pac 12 from a P5 conference outside its pact?

...alternately, will the SEC embrace scheduling opportunities with the Big 12, informally suggesting a partnership to obtain P5 scheduling opportunities in what, in TX, OK, and FL, will be a shared footprint of these two conferences?

...or, is "the alliance" much ado about nothing--simply a symbolic response to the most powerful P5 conference, the SEC, grabbing even more power?

Thoughts?

09-13-2021 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Big 12 and SEC football scheduling
(09-13-2021 07:12 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Just pondering this morning...

...will "the alliance" try to freeze the Big 12 out by not scheduling non-conference football games against its members, in an effort to distance the B10/ACC/Pac 12 from a P5 conference outside its pact?

...alternately, will the SEC embrace scheduling opportunities with the Big 12, informally suggesting a partnership to obtain P5 scheduling opportunities in what, in TX, OK, and FL, will be a shared footprint of these two conferences?

...or, is "the alliance" much ado about nothing--simply a symbolic response to the most powerful P5 conference, the SEC, grabbing even more power?

Thoughts?

It all depends on who the Big 12 gets as a media partner. If we go with Fox we will end up in the alliance, and if we go with ESPN we will probably tag along with the SEC for no real benefit.

09-13-2021 07:18 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
It is nothing. It only matters for the top teams of those conferences (to help get more OSU vs Oregon type games).

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

09-13-2021 07:18 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
The schools in the Alliance have already indicated they will honor all existing contracts. Most of the ACC has long term OOC series with an SEC school (ie UK/UL, Georgia/Georgia Tech, South Carolina/Clemson, etc. ). In fact I doubt any of those go away.

As far as UC is concerned, we have OOC games lined up for the next several years that include Pitt H/H, BC H/H, NC State H/H and Nebraska at our place (I have doubts about that one). As IIRC, at the last Coffee Talk with John Cunningham, he indicates they have hired a consultant to work on future scheduling (this was announced before our move).

The big key is going to be whether the BXII remains at only 3 OOC games per year or go to 4. If we are 3 we are probably pretty much full through 2026.

09-13-2021 07:51 AM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

I’ve been away from posting for awhile but have been dropping in to view every once in awhile..

First, I hope they go to four OOC games. If they stay at 9 you’re adding a combined 12 losses to your schools’ schedule (and 12 wins, but I believe losses matter more than wins.. a loss will drop you out of the playoffs more than a win will move you in.)

Second, we are gaining the Big 12/SEC Challenge in basketball assuming that stays which should be bonus points to our OOC basketball schedule.

Third, I’d like to think it’ll be easier to schedule home and homes with other P5 schools now that we’re in the club. Hopefully we get more regional P5 OOC matchups since we’ll still be moving to a conference with larger distances between schools. Would love to have Michigan State, Indiana, UK, Louisville, Pitt, Northwestern, Tennessee, Missouri, on the schedule but I could see us still getting “little brother” treatment for awhile.

I believe part of the Alliance goal is to squeeze the SEC in scheduling and make it tougher for them to get OOC games. If that’s truly the goal, the Alliance should be adding the Big12 to their club (which I believe I read that they would) and make scheduling easier for us).

09-13-2021 08:12 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Just sign us up to pound UK every year.

09-13-2021 08:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.