Houston Chronicle: UH gets in at last minute thru political arm twisting
Bookmark and Share
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Houston Chronicle: UH gets in at last minute thru political arm twisting
And guess whose spot they likely took?

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 04:24 PM by TripleA.)
09-11-2021 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
RE: Houston Chronicle: UH gets in at last minute thru political arm twisting
Pay wall

But indeed, Memphis has a better football team for a while, better fan numbers, more dedication, and a helluva lot more, and even this recent run of Houston basketball is not likely to last
09-11-2021 03:42 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Could’ve sworn myself and a few others on here said that Texas politics would be hard to overcome and UH had that going for them. Of course, some of our most connected insiders laughed and said no way. “Everyone hates Houston and Fertitta, they’ll never get in”.
09-11-2021 03:44 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(09-11-2021 03:42 PM)Mimi Wrote:  Pay wall

But indeed, Memphis has a better football team for a while, better fan numbers, more dedication, and a helluva lot more, and even this recent run of Houston basketball is not likely to last

I got it by quickly pressing Ctrl A and Control C....highlight then quickly copy/paste into a text pad.
The article said that the Big 12 was all set to invite 3 teams...and then the Houston billionaire intervened on their behalf to get Houston included.
09-11-2021 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(09-11-2021 03:44 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Could’ve sworn myself and a few others on here said that Texas politics would be hard to overcome and UH had that going for them. Of course, some of our most connected insiders laughed and said no way. “Everyone hates Houston and Fertitta, they’ll never get in”.

Houston got in because of $$. They WERE not going to be included initially. The Big12 didn't want them.
Some of you want to come here to argue more than you want to discuss sports or the Tigers.
09-11-2021 04:00 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-11-2021 03:44 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Could’ve sworn myself and a few others on here said that Texas politics would be hard to overcome and UH had that going for them. Of course, some of our most connected insiders laughed and said no way. “Everyone hates Houston and Fertitta, they’ll never get in”.

So instead of being upset at us being squeezed out by politics, you want to do an "I told you so" and make fun of some Tiger fan (not me) for saying UH won't get in?

I'll never understand that.
09-11-2021 04:00 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

(09-11-2021 04:00 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

So instead of being upset at us being squeezed out by politics, you want to do an "I told you so" and make fun of some Tiger fan (not me) for saying UH won't get in?

I'll never understand that.

Well put
09-11-2021 04:03 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-11-2021 03:57 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

I got it by quickly pressing Ctrl A and Control C....highlight then quickly copy/paste into a text pad.
The article said that the Big 12 was all set to invite 3 teams...and then the Houston billionaire intervened on their behalf to get Houston included.

Btw, there is no way they were inviting 3 schools. Does that make any sense, going from 8 to 11? I'm pretty sure it was us. That might also explain why they so quickly started talking about going to 6 instead.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 04:17 PM by TripleA.)
09-11-2021 04:16 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I wonder how I was able to read the article without issue.

Anyway. Having the advantage of a billionaire with available Texas state political connection and the location of the conference was the perfect combination for them. I don't see it working the same if it was the PAC or ACC for example.
09-11-2021 04:22 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-11-2021 04:16 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Btw, there is no way they were inviting 3 schools. Does that make any sense, going from 8 to 11? I'm pretty sure it was us. That might also explain why they so quickly started talking about going to 6 instead.

You were also “pretty sure” that we were definitely getting into a power conference years ago. Claimed to have inside info and it turned out to be false…. So there’s that…
09-11-2021 04:24 PM
Herff Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: T-I-G-E-R-S
What was the political arm twisting? Was it that TTech, Baylor and TCU were the ones that were saying "no" and that got squelched?
09-11-2021 04:26 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-11-2021 04:24 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

You were also “pretty sure” that we were definitely getting into a power conference years ago. Claimed to have inside info and it turned out to be false…. So there’s that…

Here we go fan bashing again. We were told we were in. That came from our admin. And I'm certainly not the only one who has said that.

And what does that have to do with now?

This is why nobody comes on here and tries to share anything legit, b/c too many people take pleasure in bashing anyone who might be wrong, rather than discussing the merits of the info.

I'm out. Not worth it. I don't need to defend myself.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 04:28 PM by TripleA.)
09-11-2021 04:28 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-11-2021 04:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Here we go fan bashing again. We were told we were in. That cane from our admin. And I'm certainly not the olny one who has said that.

This is why nobody comes on here and tries to share anything, b/c too many people take pleasure in bashing anyone who might be wrong, rather than discussing the merits of the info.

Fan bashing? Was I incorrect here?
09-11-2021 04:29 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(09-11-2021 04:29 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-11-2021 03:57 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  I got it by quickly pressing Ctrl A and Control C....highlight then quickly copy/paste into a text pad.

Here we go fan bashing again. We were told we were in. That cane from our admin. And I'm certainly not the olny one who has said that.

This is why nobody comes on here and tries to share anything, b/c too many people take pleasure in bashing anyone who might be wrong, rather than discussing the merits of the info.

you were rude af. Sometimes it's better to keep such thoughts to yourself.
09-11-2021 04:38 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I would guess the invite three meant three AAC schools

So much really depends on when TX and OU leave. Tough to see Houston, Cincy, BYU and the ridiculous UCF playing there while the overlords still are. Meanwhile, thise seeking out, which means nearly everyone, may find landing spots

A 12 team Big Twelve a few years from now will be likely not include TX, OU, WV, KS and maybe not ISU or a few more

It will be the upper tier of AAC and the bottom tier of the current Big Twelve. And it will still be a step up for us.
09-11-2021 04:39 PM
jamgut Offline
Bench Warmer

Seems like I recall one writer stating that we were number 4 and we were bumped at the last minute by Houston.

Adding just 3 could have put them temporarily at 13 schools much to the angst of triskaidekaphobics everywhere.
09-11-2021 04:39 PM
Advertisement

memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-11-2021 04:38 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(09-11-2021 04:16 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Btw, there is no way they were inviting 3 schools. Does that make any sense, going from 8 to 11? I'm pretty sure it was us. That might also explain why they so quickly started talking about going to 6 instead.

For what? Did he, or didn’t he say he had info? Wasn’t this discussed on sports radio?
09-11-2021 04:43 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(09-11-2021 04:43 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-11-2021 04:24 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  You were also “pretty sure” that we were definitely getting into a power conference years ago. Claimed to have inside info and it turned out to be false…. So there’s that…

For what? Did he, or didn’t he say he had info? Wasn’t this discussed on sports radio?

griffin has come on here and explained the events of what went on.
TripleA and some others confirmed that that is the info they had had as well.
Deals fall through in business all the time. College football is big business all the time every day.
Sometimes things that are planned come undone. That's the nature of the beast.
Just trust in your heart that there are people fighting on Memphis' behalf to get us in a bigger/better conference.
Do you really think that what we have seen so far in donations to the university on improvements would have been made if there WASN'T something going on behind the scenes?
09-11-2021 04:54 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis

We are already in-5 years ago--REMEMBER--A LOCK--DONE DEAL---....again as usual you start questioning someone else's information----incredible
09-11-2021 04:56 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(09-11-2021 04:54 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(09-11-2021 04:43 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-11-2021 04:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Here we go fan bashing again. We were told we were in. That cane from our admin. And I'm certainly not the olny one who has said that.

griffin has come on here and explained the events of what went on.
TripleA and some others confirmed that that is the info they had had as well.
Deals fall through in business all the time. College football is big business all the time every day.
Sometimes things that are planned come undone. That's the nature of the beast.
Just trust in your heart that there are people fighting on Memphis' behalf to get us in a bigger/better conference.
Do you really think that what we have seen so far in donations to the university on improvements would have been made if there WASN'T something going on behind the scenes?

Yeah----that's a pair to draw to
09-11-2021 04:59 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.