Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Leadership
Bookmark and Share
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Leadership
Over the past two decades plus, we've had leaders pushing the university and athletics forward in profound ways - President Steger adopted the Campus Master Plan and strengthened key programs; Huggs resurrected our basketball program and Mick kept that going; Brian Kelly took Dantonio's foundation and rocketed UC football forward; and, our last two presidents kept the university steadily moving (but let's not turn this into a debate).

All that said, the stars were never aligned on all levels - President, AD, and the two major sports. I feel like they are now. President Pinto, Cunningham, Fick, and Miller (yes, it's early) seem as close to a dream team as I could imagine as we move into the Big 12. Pinto is fully focused on academics, but realizes the importance of athletics and undoubtedly provides all of the necessary background support; Cunningham keeps **** buttoned down so well as AD, even while making some bold decisions; Fick is going to have a statue built one day; and Wes has brought energy to the basketball team that's been missing for some time.

We're in great hands as we move into the Big 12.

09-10-2021 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: Leadership
Hopefully, momentum will continue and UC can use this time to improve its position so it’s no longer the first one out or the last one in. Obviously still work to do.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2021 11:36 AM by BearcatsUC.)
09-10-2021 11:07 AM
BearcatInFL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Lucy
(09-10-2021 10:53 AM)geef Wrote:  Over the past two decades plus, we've had leaders pushing the university and athletics forward in profound ways - President Steger adopted the Campus Master Plan and strengthened key programs; Huggs resurrected our basketball program and Mick kept that going; Brian Kelly took Dantonio's foundation and rocketed UC football forward; and, our last two presidents kept the university steadily moving (but let's not turn this into a debate).

All that said, the stars were never aligned on all levels - President, AD, and the two major sports. I feel like they are now. President Pinto, Cunningham, Fick, and Miller (yes, it's early) seem as close to a dream team as I could imagine as we move into the Big 12. Pinto is fully focused on academics, but realizes the importance of athletics and undoubtedly provides all of the necessary background support; Cunningham keeps **** buttoned down so well as AD, even while making some bold decisions; Fick is going to have a statue built one day; and Wes has brought energy to the basketball team that's been missing for some time.

As excited I am about the elevation in football, I might be just as excited for what this will do for Basketball. Hopefully Wes is the real deal. I remember an up-and-coming coach in the early 90's that took our program to levels not imagined at the time. Hopefully Wes has the same impact 04-cheers

09-10-2021 11:34 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

The longer Fickell is here, the more he feels like our Frank Beamer. Beamer took VT from an Independent to the Big East then the ACC. He recruited like the team hadn't done before and turned the program into...a program. And he didn't leave. I know there might be a couple of opportunities Fickell would be willing to leave for but joining the Big 12 allows us build facilities, recruit and pay coaches the P5 way. We need to take baby steps with the facilities but I think the other two pieces can begin almost immediately. Joining this conference removes the one advantage the mid-tier (other) P5 teams had over us. Let's see what Fickell can do now that are about to have the finances and "power" as our competition.

09-10-2021 11:50 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(09-10-2021 11:34 AM)BearcatInFL Wrote:  
(09-10-2021 10:53 AM)geef Wrote:  Over the past two decades plus, we've had leaders pushing the university and athletics forward in profound ways - President Steger adopted the Campus Master Plan and strengthened key programs; Huggs resurrected our basketball program and Mick kept that going; Brian Kelly took Dantonio's foundation and rocketed UC football forward; and, our last two presidents kept the university steadily moving (but let's not turn this into a debate).

As excited I am about the elevation in football, I might be just as excited for what this will do for Basketball. Hopefully Wes is the real deal. I remember an up-and-coming coach in the early 90's that took our program to levels not imagined at the time. Hopefully Wes has the same impact 04-cheers

Indeed. And I'm thankful he has at least one season in the AAC before having to face the likes of KU, Baylor, Okie State, etc multiple times each season....

09-10-2021 11:51 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(09-10-2021 11:50 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  The longer Fickell is here, the more he feels like our Frank Beamer. Beamer took VT from an Independent to the Big East then the ACC. He recruited like the team hadn't done before and turned the program into...a program. And he didn't leave. I know there might be a couple of opportunities Fickell would be willing to leave for but joining the Big 12 allows us build facilities, recruit and pay coaches the P5 way. We need to take baby steps with the facilities but I think the other two pieces can begin almost immediately. Joining this conference removes the one advantage the mid-tier (other) P5 teams had over us. Let's see what Fickell can do now that are about to have the finances and "power" as our competition.

This is huge for keeping Fickell here long term. If OSU and Notre Dame keep rolling it is hard to see him leaving.

09-10-2021 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Congrats to Opey and The Bean for this happening.

09-10-2021 01:19 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U

Well said Sir Geef! No complaints from me. I don't care how long it took us to get this point. It's here! There's no looking back. We can see the horizon now instead of squinting through the crack of light.

09-10-2021 01:42 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI

Pinto apparently is straight gangster. He keeps a low profile, unlike Ono, but realizes the importance of ALL aspects of a major university. He does not draw attention to himself, but gets things done. It is my understanding that the word to get rid of our previous basketball coach came down from Pinto. The AD was apprehensive about terminating a coach that we owed $5 Million, without any hard probable cause. Pinto's response was something along the lines of get him gone, or I will find someone else who will get him gone. Pinto gives the outward appearance of being Fredo, but behind the scenes he's Don Corleone.....It's a great day to be a Bearcat!

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2021 02:17 PM by JUSTGOPLAY.)
09-10-2021 02:16 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I got to meet Pinto when he was Dean of Engineering at a UC event in the Dayton area. He was talking to potential engineering students, and I was standing nearby when somehow I got to explaining the co-op program to some students. Soon Pinto was directing people my way after he gave the engineering department speel to talk about the co-op program. I was surprised but thought how smart that was of him.

09-10-2021 02:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(09-10-2021 02:16 PM)JUSTGOPLAY Wrote:  

Pinto apparently is straight gangster. He keeps a low profile, unlike Ono, but realizes the importance of ALL aspects of a major university. He does not draw attention to himself, but gets things done. It is my understanding that the word to get rid of our previous basketball coach came down from Pinto. The AD was apprehensive about terminating a coach that we owed $5 Million, without any hard probable cause. Pinto's response was something along the lines of get him gone, or I will find someone else who will get him gone. Pinto gives the outward appearance of being Fredo, but behind the scenes he's Don Corleone.....It's a great day to be a Bearcat!

"It's always the quiet ones" is a saying for the reason.

09-10-2021 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

With all due respect to Pinto and all... but we kinda fell into this.

09-10-2021 03:45 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

(09-10-2021 03:45 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  With all due respect to Pinto and all... but we kinda fell into this.

No doubt the stars aligned.....But, there's a reason the stars aligned for us and not for Memphis and USF.

09-10-2021 05:00 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(09-10-2021 03:45 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  With all due respect to Pinto and all... but we kinda fell into this.

And Memphis kinda fell out of it. UC made the commitment, made the investments and were there at the ready when the time came. Memphis didn't invest in things like facilities at the level they should have and they're on the outside looking in. Memphis is UC in 2013 when the last round hit, losing out to former peers like Louisville that demonstrate their commitment.

09-10-2021 05:06 PM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
(09-10-2021 05:00 PM)JUSTGOPLAY Wrote:  

No doubt the stars aligned.....But, there's a reason the stars aligned for us and not for Memphis and USF.

USF fields lousy teams. Memphis does not. Memphis for UC would have been a rivalry extension. Sadly, even FedEx money did not save them.

09-10-2021 05:06 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

What if UConn stayed all-in with the AAC and football...

Are they in instead of Houston?

09-10-2021 05:12 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat419 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
According to the enquirer, we have Urban Meyer and John Kasich to thank.

09-10-2021 05:13 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

Nobody, Pinto foremost of all, would say that he was some kind of sole driver of this. What he has done--as I've pointed out early in his tenure--has been a competent and thoughtful leader of the university who has steadily moved it forward without any sense of shameless self-promotion. He's backed off of pie in the sky goals (AAU) in favor of the realistic ones (CCC) that could eventually set the stage for the currently pie in the sky ones. He doesn't blame a certain university to the Northeast and start fights with it when there's a setback. He just quietly and competently looks at what went wrong and fixes it.

Similar to our admissions standards, he's not responsible for those (Zimpher pushed the university in that direction), but he's taken what he inherited and quietly and competently managed it and pushed it forward and to higher levels that its ever been. That's how I see his role in athletics.

09-10-2021 05:16 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

Pinto is standing on the shoulders of giants.

But those giants didn't get us over the top of this particular mountain.

And others who benefited from the same giants (Ono, Tuberville) let the ball roll back down the hill a bit.

09-10-2021 05:22 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

(09-10-2021 05:12 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  What if UConn stayed all-in with the AAC and football...

Are they in instead of Houston?

In my opinion Yes....

09-10-2021 06:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.