Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 football position group strengths/weaknesses
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
2021 football position group strengths/weaknesses
I think everyone in FCS knows JMU has a stacked roster his year. But all opponents will be deep and experienced too with the super senior rule. I expect the Dukes to get tripped up a couple of times by a veteran team, likely on the road where they will face two top 5 teams before the playoff matchups are even determined.

I think all position groups are strong relative to the FCS, but which ones are the least strong and potential for other teams to expose?

Offense
1 O-Line. Very strong. Road graders. Large. The baby is 302 lb Timming. They should dominate and have the most productive run game of Cignetti’s 3 years. Pass blocking may be shaky though if if if anyone is good enough to shut down the run. I don’t think any of the O-line would be described as agile and fleet footed. Is their a D-line in the FCS that is good enough to stuff the run and rush the passer? I don’t think so.

2 RB’s. Best in the FCS. All types of RB’’s that could each be stars if they were the feature back. No worries here. Opponents will have to game plan against the running game if they hope to have any chance. Otherwise Cignetti will pound them relentlessly a la Mickey Mathews style.

3 WR’s. Very good, but probably won’t get enough opportunities to be the best group in the FCS. YPC should be outstanding though with defenses keyed on the run in early downs. No worries here. Lots of FCS teams have good receivers. They are a dime a dozen.

4. TE”s. Solid, but no game changers here. All are capable blockers and receivers which is required in Cignetti’s run heavy scheme. There seems to be enough versatility that any of them can line up in multiple locations (backfield, tight, or split wide) and be effective.

5. QB’s Not weak, but probably the weakest position group on offense. Cojo is good enough to guide this team, not good enough to carry this team. Opponents will be trying to stop the run first in hopes they can get him in must pass situations and pressure him into game changing turnovers. His career TD to INT ratio is 17 to 13. Not inspiring. You would hope his 6th year would be the best and he reduces the picks while throwing a few more TD’s. The bigger concern for me is QB2. If Cojo gets injured there is no playing experience behind him. We could have a stud or we could have a dud. I’m sure opponents would love to find out by roughing up the gangly Cojo.

Defense
1 D-line. Will be the best in FCS hands down. They won’t be as good as the dominant 2019 D-line but still better than any other D-line in the country this year. No worries here. JMU will control the line of scrimmage every game and free up the bevy of athletes at LB and DB to run around like their hair is on fire. Count on a run stuffing unit to give up less than 75 yards on the ground per game and then rack up a ton of sacks on third and long plays.

2 safeties. Strong here, but no individual superstars like Booth or Lezotte or Marlowe. Should be fine with opponents being forced into passing downs often. I’m ready to see Que Reid hit with authority. Maybe he steps up his play and becomes the game changer. I thought we would see more from Davis who was the state Gatorade player of the year in high school, but he has turned out to be a good player not a great player.

3 LB’s. Solid, no superstars. A bit undersized but proved capable last year that they could be good as a unit. Should be able to get lots of free lanes to the tackle with the D-line being so good.

4 CB’s. Good enough. I don’t see anyone to be feared or to avoid when passing though. A good FCS QB will be looking to get their WR’s involved as the most likely way to beat JMU.

Special Teams
1 Kicking game. Excellent. Ratke is very accurate and the team doesn’t need a long FG kicker anyway. Kickoffs were long and deep enough last year with Madden.

2 Punting game. Solid. Not great though. Houston really used O’Kelly as a weapon and leveraged his Aussie style football skills. It wasn’t just the fake punts, but also the variety of punting. He mixed rugby to the left with rugby to the right as well as traditional high spirals. The last few years he has been just another average punter with little impact on the game.

3 kick coverage. Should be very strong . With 115 players on the roster JMU has athletes galore. Those that want PT will get it initially on special teams. And they will be hungry because there isn’t enough PT to spread around on offense/defense after the Morehead game.

4 kick returns. Biggest need for improvement here. JMU flat out sucked at punt returns last year. They were weak at kickoff returns as well. Cignetti brought in a transfer returner so I have to assume he will be the guy. If he doesn’t turnover the ball it is hard to see how he could be any worse than what we had last year. If the transfer doesn’t cut it, I would love to see Vanhorse return punts and kicks. I think he has the vision and quick feet needed. Perhaps he has shown a tendency to fumble in practice because he hasn’t had many chances to return in his 2 years. With so many talented RB’s there is no need to protect any of them. Normally I wouldn’t want to see a good RB on special teams, but I won’t mind it this year. You have to figure out a way to get your best players on the field.

“Coaching Position Group”
While not on the field, this position group may be the most relevant if the Dukes get tripped up this year. Cignetti has already shown some chinks in his game coaching when things get tight. No worries against the putz’s of FCS. However when JMU plays on the road at Delaware and at Weber St the games could very well be tight into the 4th quarter. Will Cignetti get rooked by he likes of Danny Rocco? That will hurt if he does. This team is too good to be blowing games to FCS opponents, but there will be a closing of the gap this year and games should be more competitive across the board with super seniors leading the charge for upsets. Less easy games in the CAA and the playoffs should have more teams capable of winning it all.

Keep Cojo healthy and I don’t think there is another single injury that will reduce JMU’s chances of winning title #3. This is a one year outlier where FCS teams have the depth of FBS teams. If one man goes down it is just like the barber says… next. 04-rock
08-26-2021 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: 2021 football position group strengths/weaknesses
So the same as last year we will only go as far as our kick return and Cole limits us.
08-26-2021 09:33 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
08-31-2021 08:09 PM
ShadyP Online
Heisman

(08-31-2021 08:09 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

I pretty big loss here, b/c he could put it deep in the endzone everytime without having to get cute with angles and coverages.

Hopefully Camden Wise has developed some additional leg strength
09-01-2021 08:50 AM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

I know this is anecdotal but, I was able to attend practice Monday night. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us field a team with the size, speed, strength and talent as this one. Hart’s assessment is pretty spot on, however there was an edge and an energy in this practice that was palpable. I had a couple “FBS” friends with me and they could not believe that the team they were watching played at our level. (But we have a different thread for that!) The choreography and efficiency of the way this particular practice was run was also a sight to behold.

This team is ready to play. Losing in the spring has lit a fire under this team and they are chomping at the bit for competition. I believe we will all enjoy this season very much.
09-01-2021 09:10 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Great assessment Hart, but I would disagree in saying that QB isn't our weakest position. After Cole, I would say definitely the least experienced.
If Cole plays the whole season, he could be Top 5 in FCS. I honestly believe that. I wouldn't have said that last spring, but I think the amount that he grew into being a starter was huge. The better news is that we don't need a lot out of him. He just needs to protect the ball and not turn it over. If he can make smart decisions and get it to the receivers, we will be scary good.
IMO, TE is our weakest position on offense. The reason I say that is that we are going to be playing multiple TE's on the field. I'm not as concerned about their blocking as I am about their receiving. Having multiple TE's on the field will probably mean less WR's which is a stronger position.
I think your defensive assessment was spot on.
09-01-2021 09:34 AM
Advertisement

fishingduke12 Online
All American

(09-01-2021 09:10 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  I know this is anecdotal but, I was able to attend practice Monday night. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us field a team with the size, speed, strength and talent as this one. Hart’s assessment is pretty spot on, however there was an edge and an energy in this practice that was palpable. I had a couple “FBS” friends with me and they could not believe that the team they were watching played at our level. (But we have a different thread for that!) The choreography and efficiency of the way this particular practice was run was also a sight to behold.

This team is ready to play. Losing in the spring has lit a fire under this team and they are chomping at the bit for competition. I believe we will all enjoy this season very much.

The way this team lost definitely is a huge factor for the edge this season. If we won or even just got beat straight up I dont think as many of the super super seniors would have returned.
09-01-2021 10:07 AM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

Does the new OC get more than one RB onto the field at a time? Seems like we've hamstrung ourselves the last few season leaving some of most talented offensive players on the sidelines due to one-back sets.
09-02-2021 08:07 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(09-02-2021 08:07 AM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  Does the new OC get more than one RB onto the field at a time? Seems like we've hamstrung ourselves the last few season leaving some of most talented offensive players on the sidelines due to one-back sets.

The issue I see with the two back sets is that unless one of the backs is there as a blocker, you lose a run blocker on the run plays (or ability to spread the defense out having an extra wideout), and for pass plays you move one of your receivers into the backfield.

It does have value with a short/west coast type passing game to have another option out of the backfield but it means less downfield threats as the RB generally are going to run a flat, wheel or stick type route. Plus really Hamilton was our pass game threat last year and he's gone, so I'd wonder who is going to be that guy for us? Perhaps VanHorse.
09-02-2021 01:18 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I’d take Vanhorse in the flat against any LB or DB in FCS. That is an easy win and 90% completion rate to keep drives going.
09-02-2021 03:49 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(08-26-2021 09:31 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  5. QB’s Not weak, but probably the weakest position group on offense. Cojo is good enough to guide this team, not good enough to carry this team. Opponents will be trying to stop the run first in hopes they can get him in must pass situations and pressure him into game changing turnovers. His career TD to INT ratio is 17 to 13. Not inspiring. You would hope his 6th year would be the best and he reduces the picks while throwing a few more TD’s. The bigger concern for me is QB2. If Cojo gets injured there is no playing experience behind him. We could have a stud or we could have a dud. I’m sure opponents would love to find out by roughing up the gangly Cojo.
To me much will hang on this right here. Which Cole shows up, the one that started the season very poorly and only got his role back due to Covid? Or the Cole that found his groove afterwards and make some great connections with Wells? Even in his good games I thought he made some poor decisions but escaped harm. Also, can he withstand the rigors of a season that could go 15 games or so? I believe the youngsters backing him up will be decent in due time, and would probably benefit long term from being thrust into the spotlight, but the fortunes of the team this season can’t ride on that.
09-02-2021 04:18 PM
Advertisement

94computerguy Offline
1st String

I don't know a thing about QB2, but CoJo sure looked like he knew what he was doing today.
09-04-2021 10:09 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

The o line got weaker last night as Fornadel is out for the season with a knee injury.
09-06-2021 04:05 PM
ShadyP Online
Heisman

(09-06-2021 04:05 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  The o line got weaker last night as Fornadel is out for the season with a knee injury.

I agree especially from a depth perspective.

However, I have a lot of confidence in Tyler Stephens stepping into the spot on the OL. He was a highly coveted recruit, has great size, and a year under his belt as a r-fr and a tad of game experience.
09-07-2021 08:42 AM
chicagoduke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
(09-04-2021 10:09 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I don't know a thing about QB2, but CoJo sure looked like he knew what he was doing today.

Indeed. I re-watched the game yesterday (offensive possessions only) to evaluate Cole's performance, and came away impressed. 19/29 (68%) for 298 yards and 5 TDs.

The positives:
- Accuracy on all types of throws. He was hitting guys in stride. I didn't spot a single ugly under/over throw. I didn't see a single throw where he missed a wide open guy (even our best QBs have done this from time to time)
- Decision making. For instance, on our second possession of the 2nd half, we had 3rd and goal at the 5. the play showed Cole going through his reads from right to left on the field and finally connecting on a 5 yard TD to a wide open Thornton. I feel like previous QBs would have tucked and ran after their first two reads were covered, but Cole showed patience to let the play develop.
- Mistake free pre-snap. No delay of game penalties, no unnecessary time outs, etc. It's nice having a veteran back there.
- Many of his incompletions were drops that should have been caught. of his 9 incompletions, I counted 4 drops that should have been easy completions.

A few points of concern:
- On most plays he had all day to throw. How much will his accuracy and decision making suffer once he starts to face pressure
- I'm still not 100% convinced he has the moxy to lead a game-winning two minute drill. He doesn't ooze confidence like some of our other guys have.

Overall, I'm feeling REALLY good at QB.
09-07-2021 09:20 AM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(09-04-2021 10:09 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I don't know a thing about QB2, but CoJo sure looked like he knew what he was doing today.

(09-07-2021 09:20 AM)chicagoduke Wrote:  

Indeed. I re-watched the game yesterday (offensive possessions only) to evaluate Cole's performance, and came away impressed. 19/29 (68%) for 298 yards and 5 TDs.

The positives:
- Accuracy on all types of throws. He was hitting guys in stride. I didn't spot a single ugly under/over throw. I didn't see a single throw where he missed a wide open guy (even our best QBs have done this from time to time)
- Decision making. For instance, on our second possession of the 2nd half, we had 3rd and goal at the 5. the play showed Cole going through his reads from right to left on the field and finally connecting on a 5 yard TD to a wide open Thornton. I feel like previous QBs would have tucked and ran after their first two reads were covered, but Cole showed patience to let the play develop.
- Mistake free pre-snap. No delay of game penalties, no unnecessary time outs, etc. It's nice having a veteran back there.
- Many of his incompletions were drops that should have been caught. of his 9 incompletions, I counted 4 drops that should have been easy completions.

A few points of concern:
- On most plays he had all day to throw. How much will his accuracy and decision making suffer once he starts to face pressure
- I'm still not 100% convinced he has the moxy to lead a game-winning two minute drill. He doesn't ooze confidence like some of our other guys have.

Overall, I'm feeling REALLY good at QB.

I think this is spot on ChicagoDuke - I agree his "clutch" ability is the only thing I've yet to see from him.
09-07-2021 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I thought he was pretty clutch at Sam Houston. It looked hopeless and he threw a touchdown pass in the 4th before getting injured. He also threw a great long pass in the third quarter of that game when we were up 11 that was dropped that may have slowed their momentum.

He played an outstanding game that day on the road vs the National Champs. In tough conditions.
I do worry about his durability but you never know with that. Rodney got hurt, Vad got hurt.
09-07-2021 10:22 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

Looks like JMU is trying to integrate a vertical, downfield passing attack that will make them tougher to defend against the run, too. Cole apparently took some hits in that game...something they'll have to monitor and adjust to going forward.
09-07-2021 10:40 AM
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

(09-06-2021 04:05 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  The o line got weaker last night as Fornadel is out for the season with a knee injury.

Tyler Negron to the Offensive Line per Coach

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/ro...gron/17228
09-07-2021 11:29 AM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Coach C mentioned that during the Fan and Press Conference this afternoon.

Brian
09-07-2021 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.