Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Keith Gill in Huntington?
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
There is a rumor that Commissioner Keith Gill was in Huntington on Friday. Not sure if anyone can confirm.

Again, just a rumor at this point. But it came from one of the best posters on our message board who said it came from a fairly reliable source.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2021 01:14 PM by MUsince96.)
08-08-2021 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
RE: Keith Gill in Huntington?
This is by far the most reliable poster of all the Marshall forums imo.

I’m not saying it’s true... but I will say 100% this poster was definitely told this information and he said it came from someone reliable who would know. He’s not claiming to have seen Gill himself, he posted on our pay board to see if anyone else had heard this information. This is a LOT of smoke!
08-08-2021 01:17 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
Awesome if true. But there’s potentially more than one reason for him to be there.
08-08-2021 01:27 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2021 01:27 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Awesome if true. But there’s potentially more than one reason for him to be there.

I thought the same thing but what could be the other reason for him to be here? I can’t think of anything to be honest.
08-08-2021 01:34 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(08-08-2021 01:34 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(08-08-2021 01:27 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Awesome if true. But there’s potentially more than one reason for him to be there.

I thought the same thing but what could be the other reason for him to be here? I can’t think of anything to be honest.

I mean, I’d be cautiously optimistic that he’s there for the reason we think he’s there. I like Marshall. There are tons of potential unknowns as to why he’d be in WV. The worst case scenario is that he simply has friends and/or personal/professional relationships and may just be there to keep those relationships strong.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2021 01:48 PM by EagleNationRising.)
08-08-2021 01:46 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm sure there's plenty of behind-the-scenes talks and plans for all kinds of different unlikely scenarios but I doubt there's anything imminent.
08-08-2021 01:47 PM
Advertisement

herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

Ive been hoping/wondering if this is indication that the eastern teams would become the Sun Belt and the Western teams would be CUSA and keep Judy. Makes sense considering CUSA HQs are in Texas and has the most Texas/Western teams.

I really hope this is true and I really hope this is a true split between CUSA East/Sun Belt East becoming the Sun Belt with Gill as our commissioner... then CUSA West and Sun Belt West combining to be the new CUSA with Judy lol
08-08-2021 01:55 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
What is the feel on your board if Marshall were to join the Belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-08-2021 02:07 PM
HHHERD Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
(08-08-2021 01:47 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'm sure there's plenty of behind-the-scenes talks and plans for all kinds of different unlikely scenarios but I doubt there's anything imminent.

I think you are right on the money. Just too much up in the air right now with the Big 12, AAC, and other conferences. My guess is Gill is being pro-active, especially with the rumor of Marshall/ODU wanting to form an eastern based conference. NO way the belt wants to lose the eastern based schools of their league.
08-08-2021 02:12 PM
Fear the TEAL Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CCU
(08-08-2021 02:12 PM)HHHERD Wrote:  
(08-08-2021 01:47 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'm sure there's plenty of behind-the-scenes talks and plans for all kinds of different unlikely scenarios but I doubt there's anything imminent.

I think you are right on the money. Just too much up in the air right now with the Big 12, AAC, and other conferences. My guess is Gill is being pro-active, especially with the rumor of Marshall/ODU wanting to form an eastern based conference. NO way the belt wants to lose the eastern based schools of their league.

Don’t see leagues splitting out trying to make everyone happy. Sunbelt is in a better position then Conference USA. Would love it if sunbelt added Marshall and USM. 12 team league. Would further separate sunbelt from USA, MAC, and Mountain west. Also would guarantee 5 games a year played on the east coast. Let the remaining teams in conference USA increase their Friends count on Facebook
08-08-2021 02:51 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte

If Gill was there it wasn't to talk about an Eastern conference. It would be that the Belt are looking to add 2 teams. As I said before. Marshal and USM are the targets. Commissioners don't sneak around talking about splitting conferences.
08-08-2021 02:53 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
SBC is almost certainly going to be agressive this go round to try and stop any potential AAC poaching before it happens, nor do they want to give any credence to any wild fantasies out of ODU. One simple way to do that is to make clear to everyone that you feel you can raid CUSA For teams.

Still, its a rumor that isn't worth much unless we started hearing about SBC reps making appearances in Hattiesburg.
08-08-2021 02:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-08-2021 02:53 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  

If Gill was there it wasn't to talk about an Eastern conference. It would be that the Belt are looking to add 2 teams. As I said before. Marshal and USM are the targets. Commissioners don't sneak around talking about splitting conferences.

Even the discussions between the Pac 12 and Big 12 recently have been more about alliances more than anything.

Conference merger's are fantasies that don't have a lot of root in reality because they involve an idea that everyone gets what they want. The reality is, that You'd have to drag AState and UL kicking and screaming to a league that involves travel to El Paso.
08-08-2021 02:59 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I've long said Marshall and Southern Miss would be the only two teams from CUSA that I'd love to see in the Sun Belt. I don't know if it will ever happen but if we were to get those two or a Marshall/UAB combo the Sun Belt would cut the heart out of CUSA.
08-08-2021 03:20 PM
DoubletapWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Red Wolves and SBC
(08-08-2021 02:51 PM)Fear the TEAL Wrote:  

Don’t see leagues splitting out trying to make everyone happy. Sunbelt is in a better position then Conference USA. Would love it if sunbelt added Marshall and USM. 12 team league. Would further separate sunbelt from USA, MAC, and Mountain west. Also would guarantee 5 games a year played on the east coast. Let the remaining teams in conference USA increase their Friends count on Facebook

Agree completely . . add Marshall and USM and call it an awesome day !! 04-cheers
08-08-2021 03:23 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
Marshal and USM are 2 states we don't have teams in. Would male sense for ESPN and the new contract.
08-08-2021 03:36 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-08-2021 03:36 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Marshal and USM are 2 states we don't have teams in. Would male sense for ESPN and the new contract.

ESPN would also gain two of the better media properties in CUSA. If I remember correctly Marshall was the only CUSA team to have every game picked up for TV last year so that shows they would be the most valuable school to add out of CUSA from ESPN's perspective.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2021 03:42 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
08-08-2021 03:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-08-2021 03:36 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Marshal and USM are 2 states we don't have teams in. Would male sense for ESPN and the new contract.

Its also the simplest way to cut off the threat of an Eastern breakaway league. Marshall wants to get out of regular games in Texas. Marshall in the Sun Belt as currently set up would play 1 football game every 5 years in Texas and Olympic Sports would make one trip to Texas every other year. And that doesn't take in the possibility that UTA may still go to the MVC, and we could probably work out a deal with CUSA to shift Texas State over there as well. There's also far more security with the TV deal rather than hoping a breakaway is going to be able to negotiate a TV contract that can even rival what schools make now.
08-08-2021 03:43 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(08-08-2021 03:43 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  and we could probably work out a deal with CUSA to shift Texas State over there as well.

No.
08-08-2021 03:58 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
This is interesting but could mean absolutely nothing. Is it possible since ODU and Marshall hate the CUSA Gill is going after those two? ODU would be… shocking to say the least.
08-08-2021 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.