Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall president Gilbert issues statements on conference realignment
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Marshall president Gilbert issues statements on conference realignment
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/07/28/gilbe...alignment/

Very revealing, note that our president is very aware of what's happening, he lays everything out there as possibility.
07-28-2021 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

RE: Marshall president Gilbert issues statements on conference realignment
“One idea is we could all get together and say let’s redivide the schools into more regional conferences, which would be a good thing,” Gilbert said.
07-28-2021 05:08 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Dr Gilbert's statement is what most president's would be. No school is going to come out and say anything that can bite them with the conference they are in.

In the last realignment Marshall was shutout. This time around may be and probably will be different. I really don't see us idling on our hands and staying still this time around, especially if we wouldn't be one of the schools considered by those left in the depleted AAC. No matter how anyone wants to look at it being in a conference with ECU, Temple et al is looked at and perceived to be better positioned as conference mates.
07-28-2021 06:47 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(07-28-2021 06:47 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Dr Gilbert's statement is what most president's would be. No school is going to come out and say anything that can bite them with the conference they are in.

In the last realignment Marshall was shutout. This time around may be and probably will be different. I really don't see us idling on our hands and staying still this time around, especially if we wouldn't be one of the schools considered by those left in the depleted AAC. No matter how anyone wants to look at it being in a conference with ECU, Temple et al is looked at and perceived to be better positioned as conference mates.

What in the absolute hell could bite us with the current conference we're in? I mean kick us out, please. He should say unequivocally that we are seeking a move up and will do whatever it takes to make that a reality. If it doesn't work out then oh well. But CUSA is in no position to do anything about it. What's Judy going to hold her breath till we apologize? We are in the lowest conference in the land. Anywhere else is an improvement, though some moves come with baggage like Tuesday/Wednesday football games. And if we don't move then someone else from CUSA did. I'd like to know we tried everything possible this time instead of making a statement like "we're happy here."
07-28-2021 07:26 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-28-2021 07:26 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 06:47 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Dr Gilbert's statement is what most president's would be. No school is going to come out and say anything that can bite them with the conference they are in.

What in the absolute hell could bite us with the current conference we're in? I mean kick us out, please. He should say unequivocally that we are seeking a move up and will do whatever it takes to make that a reality. If it doesn't work out then oh well. But CUSA is in no position to do anything about it. What's Judy going to hold her breath till we apologize? We are in the lowest conference in the land. Anywhere else is an improvement, though some moves come with baggage like Tuesday/Wednesday football games. And if we don't move then someone else from CUSA did. I'd like to know we tried everything possible this time instead of making a statement like "we're happy here."

Even if Dr Gilbert had those thoughts he can't say that and you know it. As much as fans may say what they want, school admins still have a political land field to navigate.
07-28-2021 08:11 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
(07-28-2021 08:11 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 07:26 PM)MUther Wrote:  

Even if Dr Gilbert had those thoughts he can't say that and you know it. As much as fans may say what they want, school admins still have a political land field to navigate.

They have to navigate the legal terrain too. Just look at the mess Aresco created for the AAC. Lawsuits from the Big12 and Fox could be on the way. Get your popcorn!
07-28-2021 10:20 PM
Advertisement

goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
Didn't he just state the same thing every G5 president is thinking?
07-28-2021 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
I would say it loud and proud and maybe light a fire under the CUSA asses to try anything right now to improve our lot. This whole conference and it's leadership has it's head buried in the sand just knowing when they come up everything will be just fine. It hasn't been fine in a long time. I don't know the answers but I don't get paid to know them. The least they could do is acknowledge there is a problem. And, no, the blanket neutral statement by St Judy doesn't cut it.
07-28-2021 11:42 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2021 11:23 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  Didn't he just state the same thing every G5 president is thinking?

The difference to me is, he acknowledges that if we are not able to move out, that a realignment of teams based on regional locations make sense.

I don't think I've read anywhere where any other president has said they are in favor of that.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 06:49 AM by rileylives.)
07-29-2021 06:49 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(07-29-2021 06:49 AM)rileylives Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 11:23 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  Didn't he just state the same thing every G5 president is thinking?

The difference to me is, he acknowledges that if we are not able to move out, that a realignment of teams based on regional locations make sense.

I don't think I've read anywhere where any other president has said they are in favor of that.

And I doubt that any President west of the Mississippi comes out in favor of geographical realignment with the Sunbelt.
07-29-2021 07:08 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC

I agree. His statement on more geographical conferences being good speaks volumes. There might be reshuffle in our future.
07-29-2021 07:10 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(07-29-2021 07:08 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

And I doubt that any President west of the Mississippi comes out in favor of geographical realignment with the Sunbelt.

I don't think that will stop it from happening. Eastern schools don't need the schools west of the Mississippi.
07-29-2021 07:11 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2021 07:08 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

Well, honestly you might be SOL.
07-29-2021 07:18 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
So we can annex Texas now and finally have a conference for the more eastern based schools?
07-29-2021 07:28 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

At one time not so long ago and I'm talking about 7, 8 years...

SBC offered UAB, USM and Marshall a spot. Instead your presidents voted to add schools to be in a spread out conference. Is that the same president thats being quoted in this article? At this point there would be 16 teams with eastern and western divisions if they made the correct decision. There would not be FBS football being played at...

ODU
UNCC
CC

I bet every fan that backs his comments in that article would have been pissed off if he said that 7 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 08:09 AM by WKUYG.)
07-29-2021 08:06 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-29-2021 08:06 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  At one time not so long ago and I'm talking about 7, 8 years...

SBC offered UAB, USM and Marshall a spot. Instead your presidents voted to add schools to be in a spread out conference. Is that the same president thats being quoted in this article? At this point there would be 16 teams with eastern and western divisions if they made the correct decision. There would not be FBS football being played at...

ODU
UNCC
CC

I bet every fan that backs his comments in that article would have been pissed off if he said that 7 years ago.

No.
07-29-2021 08:12 AM
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(07-29-2021 08:06 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  At one time not so long ago and I'm talking about 7, 8 years...

ODU
UNCC
CC

I agree with this. Instead their actions indirectly promoted more FCS programs. Some of which have surpassed current CUSA programs.
07-29-2021 08:37 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

.jpg  pg 27 InDepth Realignment1.jpg (Size: 115.72 KB / Downloads: 39)

Just do this and get it over with.
07-29-2021 08:41 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(07-29-2021 08:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Just do this and get it over with.

Never gonna happen. Makes too much sense.
07-29-2021 08:44 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2021 08:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Just do this and get it over with.

Why would you throw in James Madison and put UAB in the west? I seriously doubt if anyone other than ODU would want or agree with that. Especially not UAB who only moved to CUSA west once Western joined the conference. I like ODU but if it came down to losing UAB...

would easily take UAB and Troy over ODU and James Madison. It actually makes it a tighter conference
07-29-2021 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.