Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC network saying Big 12 has 4 teams in mind
Bookmark and Share
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
SEC network saying Big 12 has 4 teams in mind
SEC network had an ESPN source tell them Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and Memphis will be discussed this week and invites could go out next week. If BYU turns them Down then UCF is the next call.
07-27-2021 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: SEC network saying Big 12 has 4 teams in mind
That all makes sense.
07-27-2021 09:03 AM
SouthJags2012 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: South Alabama
Surprised they are not going after MWC teams
07-27-2021 09:09 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-27-2021 09:09 AM)SouthJags2012 Wrote:  Surprised they are not going after MWC teams

I wish theyd get one just so the MWC would save NMSU from the WAC.
07-27-2021 09:10 AM
Oldyeller Online
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
More parity between more conferences is what I see. Does this make us more relevant? Sure it makes the SEC tougher to overcome but at some point if you finish in the middle or lower in conference standings how relevant are you?
07-27-2021 09:19 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(07-27-2021 09:19 AM)Oldyeller Wrote:  More parity between more conferences is what I see. Does this make us more relevant? Sure it makes the SEC tougher to overcome but at some point if you finish in the middle or lower in conference standings how relevant are you?

It'll make us the third best G6 behind the Big 12 and AAC. We will still be battling the AAC for the 6th playoff spot.
07-27-2021 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

AAC minus those four would be:

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

I'll say it again, let's grab Marshall and one other program and the SBC can be the best G5 conference.

Otherwise we've have chaos and individual schools creating some weird outcomes.
07-27-2021 09:24 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2021 09:24 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  AAC minus those four would be:

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

I'll say it again, let's grab Marshall and one other program and the SBC can be the best G5 conference.

If that's what's left the Birmingham and Rice get an immediate phone call.
07-27-2021 09:26 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

The Big 12 will join the ranks of the G5 making it the G6. We can still be the 6th best conference and make the playoff but we need to grab 2 quality teams. I say aim high and invite every AAC team left and take the 2 that accepts. If none accepts then start inviting CUSA teams.
07-27-2021 09:28 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

I say with the AAC losing its 4 mammoth teams, now is the perfect time to implode and build something new.

Mountain East Conference:

Mountain Division:
WKU, MTSU, Marshall, App State, Charlotte, Georgia State, UAB

East Division:
Navy, ODU, ECU, Coastal, Georgia Southern, USF, Troy
07-27-2021 09:39 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

Add to that list AppState, Marshall, UAB, Louisiana…
07-27-2021 09:46 AM
Advertisement

ballantyneapp Online
All American

I Root For: App

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

at that point you really have to wonder if having a conference that spreads from Wichita and Ok/Texas to Philly and South Florida makes sense. I think Navy goes back to independent in that scenario.

That conference might still be worth marginally more than the sunbelt right now, but we could pass them in football if we stay together and keep our momentum.
07-27-2021 09:50 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Chasing the AAC will provide for some Frankenstein conferences that will see revenues stagnant and lack of interest from fanbases. Think three CUSAs five years from now.
07-27-2021 09:52 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-27-2021 08:46 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  SEC network had an ESPN source tell them Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and Memphis will be discussed this week and invites could go out next week. If BYU turns them Down then UCF is the next call.

BYU, Cincinnati and Houston make a lot of sense to me but I would have thought the Big 12 would have went for Colorado State before taking Memphis.
07-27-2021 09:57 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(07-27-2021 09:52 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Chasing the AAC will provide for some Frankenstein conferences that will see revenues stagnant and lack of interest from fanbases. Think three CUSAs five years from now.

That's why the Belt needs to stay together and add 2 quality teams. Nobody needs to leave thinking the grass is greener. The Belt is getting stronger and even ESPN sees it. Tired of seeing App fans wanting to leave. They are acting like Texas. You want to join CUSA and AAC rejects. Look how that turned out for CUSA version 3.
07-27-2021 09:58 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-27-2021 09:50 AM)ballantyneapp Wrote:  

Temple
Navy
ECU
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU

That is a mess.

at that point you really have to wonder if having a conference that spreads from Wichita and Ok/Texas to Philly and South Florida makes sense. I think Navy goes back to independent in that scenario.

That conference might still be worth marginally more than the sunbelt right now, but we could pass them in football if we stay together and keep our momentum.

Sticking together is not the way these things have worked. I like the idealism though. So far this round appears to be about quality programs that add strength to football leagues. I expect Big12 will grab the best of what they can and so would the AAC. If that’s the case, the top football programs in the CUSA and SBC fit the hole in the AAC’s footprint the best.
07-27-2021 09:59 AM
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-27-2021 09:58 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 09:52 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Chasing the AAC will provide for some Frankenstein conferences that will see revenues stagnant and lack of interest from fanbases. Think three CUSAs five years from now.

That's why the Belt needs to stay together and add 2 quality teams. Nobody needs to leave thinking the grass is greener. The Belt is getting stronger and even ESPN sees it. Tired of seeing App fans wanting to leave. They are acting like Texas. You want to join CUSA and AAC rejects. Look how that turned out for CUSA version 3.

I’d love to see the SBC get out in front of this, but if you were admin at Marshall or USM or UAB how would react to the call from the SBC knowing the AAC will be backfilling?
07-27-2021 10:03 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm an App fan...
07-27-2021 10:08 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-27-2021 10:03 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

I’d love to see the SBC get out in front of this, but if you were admin at Marshall or USM or UAB how would react to the call from the SBC knowing the AAC will be backfilling?

The SBC approaches Marshall and says come with us, but provide them an out if the AAC calls you within 12 months no penalties upon exit.

We aren't going to lure the top CUSA programs without providing them that upside. Worth the risk for the SBC.
07-27-2021 10:12 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-27-2021 10:12 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 10:03 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

The SBC approaches Marshall and says come with us, but provide them an out if the AAC calls you within 12 months no penalties upon exit.

We aren't going to lure the top CUSA programs without providing them that upside. Worth the risk for the SBC.

That’s like peeing in your snowsuit in the winter… feels warm for awhile, but pretty soon, you are colder than you were before.

The SBC has no juice. Not until all the bigger guys have made their moves.
07-27-2021 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.