Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lou Holtz
Bookmark and Share
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Lou Holtz
Kind of sad that no one has commented here or congratulated as yet on Lou’s induction last week into the W&M Hall of Fame. He seems to like W&M quite a bit, a shame we haven’t done more to keep him in the family, same with Levy. I have heard some were upset how he left though I thought he spoke very transparently last week with the rationale.

Question for any in the know: where is the W&M Hall of Fame? I’m assuming in the Laycock Center but not sure.
07-26-2021 09:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Lou Holtz
HOF inductees pictures are displayed on the wall at Kaplan
07-27-2021 05:34 AM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

(07-26-2021 09:19 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Kind of sad that no one has commented here or congratulated as yet on Lou’s induction last week into the W&M Hall of Fame. He seems to like W&M quite a bit, a shame we haven’t done more to keep him in the family, same with Levy. I have heard some were upset how he left though I thought he spoke very transparently last week with the rationale.

Question for any in the know: where is the W&M Hall of Fame? I’m assuming in the Laycock Center but not sure.

Levy has returned to Williamsburg every year he was able and has always treasured his time at W&M. We haven't had to do much to keep him in the family because he's always understood he is family. Pics from his visits in 2019 and 2015.
[img][Image: lG6Vph0.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: d7qPUsn.jpg][/img]
07-27-2021 05:57 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

Great pics. As I’m not in the inner circle of the AD there or local, I’m not familiar with these functions. I see Lou Holtz in the 2nd pic as well.

Can you add some background on the pics - the functions and some of the people in there? I do remember they had a gathering of the 1967 team that upset Navy. I doubt many of the younger alums fully grasp how big that was, on par with beating someone like Penn State today. It had national impact.
07-27-2021 06:49 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Levy is an interesting guy and a scholar. Great fit here for a million reasons. Of course his success kept him moving upward. Williamsburg is a big part of his life.
07-27-2021 08:12 AM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Was not around for either of those gents, but never been a Holtz fan. Even as a Miami Dolphins fan I could not dislike Levy when his Bills pounded the 'Fins. Always seemed cool and classy.
07-27-2021 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

(07-27-2021 06:49 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Great pics. As I’m not in the inner circle of the AD there or local, I’m not familiar with these functions. I see Lou Holtz in the 2nd pic as well.

Can you add some background on the pics - the functions and some of the people in there? I do remember they had a gathering of the 1967 team that upset Navy. I doubt many of the younger alums fully grasp how big that was, on par with beating someone like Penn State today. It had national impact.

Holtz is in neither picture. All guys who played for Levy. In the 2015 picture Levy is flanked by Augie Tammariello on his right and Larry Peccatiello who were both assistants under Marv.

When Marv visits he's a fixture at Ted Zychowski's tailgate in the QB Club lot and there's usually a gathering at Jim Barton's house.
07-27-2021 08:30 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
(07-26-2021 09:19 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Kind of sad that no one has commented here or congratulated as yet on Lou’s induction last week into the W&M Hall of Fame. He seems to like W&M quite a bit, a shame we haven’t done more to keep him in the family, same with Levy. I have heard some were upset how he left though I thought he spoke very transparently last week with the rationale.

I believe that one of the big parts of the Kaplan renovation is a more clearly defined HOF area. This would go within that big new glassy addition, which will also serve as the main entrance. The other side will have some sort of Tribe fan shop.
07-27-2021 09:29 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

(07-27-2021 09:29 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  

I believe that one of the big parts of the Kaplan renovation is a more clearly defined HOF area. This would go within that big new glassy addition, which will also serve as the main entrance. The other side will have some sort of Tribe fan shop.

That sounds very nice. Would be a welcome addition.

I visited the upgraded stadium several years ago at U of Arkansas in Fayetteville. They had a museum at one end that overlooked the field with tons of football memorabilia. I was shocked when I saw a huge silver trophy in a glass casing that came from the 1948 Dixie Bowl, inscribed with the score “Arkansas 20, William & Mary 0”.
07-27-2021 10:00 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2021 08:30 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 06:49 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Great pics. As I’m not in the inner circle of the AD there or local, I’m not familiar with these functions. I see Lou Holtz in the 2nd pic as well.

Holtz is in neither picture. All guys who played for Levy. In the 2015 picture Levy is flanked by Augie Tammariello on his right and Larry Peccatiello who were both assistants under Marv.

In Sitting Bull's defense, the dude in the green/white jacket in picture #2 could be Holtz's stunt double. He looks a lot like him.

03-wink
07-27-2021 10:07 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I never realized Holtz had a fondness for W&M, I feel like the most memorable thing about his time here was his quote "The school had too many MArys and not enough Williams"
07-27-2021 10:23 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

William and Mary was the one stop that really launched Holtz' brand nationally with our bowl game against Toledo. A lot of locals didn't care for his style when he was in the Burg, but he's always been positive about William and Mary in the media.
07-27-2021 10:26 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

(07-27-2021 10:23 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I never realized Holtz had a fondness for W&M, I feel like the most memorable thing about his time here was his quote "The school had too many MArys and not enough Williams"

I think he said that about his first team, not the school. His attempt at humor. I wouldn’t take any offense to it.

From all I have heard and read from him, I think he certainly has a spot for W&M. It was most apparent last week during his induction. I’m glad we recognized him. I never heard any of the people who played for him, including Laycock, say anything negative.

And he coached what I think was our most exciting season ever, 1971. I won’t bore on details, I wasn’t even at W&M yet, but remember how exciting that year started for W&M football. I don’t think there was ever more publicity or excitement than hosting West Virginia for homecoming that year, coming into that game 4-0. And the epic game in Chapel Hill later that we lost on a 2pt conversion to the Heels, 36-35. It was a glimpse, fleeting, of what W&M football could aspire.
07-27-2021 10:34 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

My impression was that he never thought twice about W&M. Not really based on anything in particular, but other coaches/players make appearances and show up for things. I didn't think Holtz had been back here since he left in the 70s.
07-27-2021 02:28 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

(07-27-2021 10:34 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 10:23 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I never realized Holtz had a fondness for W&M, I feel like the most memorable thing about his time here was his quote "The school had too many MArys and not enough Williams"

I think he said that about his first team, not the school. His attempt at humor. I wouldn’t take any offense to it.

From all I have heard and read from him, I think he certainly has a spot for W&M. It was most apparent last week during his induction. I’m glad we recognized him. I never heard any of the people who played for him, including Laycock, say anything negative.

I won’t speak for Holtz’s players, who he has uttered that lame joke about on more than one occassion, but it wouldn’t sit well with me if Coach Laycock ever made a similar joke about his former players publicly. It’s a cheap laugh at their expense. That Holtz could speak in such a way, even jokingly, tells me in how much esteem he holds W&M. Whatever their shortcomings they worked too hard to be mocked by their head coach on national TV. I say this as a kid that grew up a die-hard ND fan, who used to have a ton of respect for Lou.

Its nice that his former players, including Laycock, have never said anything negative about him publicly. Perhaps Holtz should have returned the favor?
07-27-2021 03:45 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2021 02:28 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  My impression was that he never thought twice about W&M. Not really based on anything in particular, but other coaches/players make appearances and show up for things. I didn't think Holtz had been back here since he left in the 70s.

He was the guest speaker for one of the football banquets, I believe, in the late 1980's. Did some of his "magic" routine, gave a nice speech.

I interviewed him for my station/network. He seemed to care about W&M, but I always took offense to him using the "Marys and Williams thing" too often, for an easy laugh, on national TV. I don't think it did anything to help our reputation.

edit: Ha! Tribe90, we are on the same page.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 03:48 PM by billymac.)
07-27-2021 03:46 PM
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

I agree, it’s a reason to not be a fan. I wonder if he still does it or if anyone said something to him.
07-27-2021 05:16 PM
TribeDeac Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
He didn't help himself by accepting a new car from the Alumni association after Tangerine Bowl game and then driving it to Raleigh to start his new job at NC State.
07-27-2021 05:37 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2021 03:46 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 02:28 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  My impression was that he never thought twice about W&M. Not really based on anything in particular, but other coaches/players make appearances and show up for things. I didn't think Holtz had been back here since he left in the 70s.

He was the guest speaker for one of the football banquets, I believe, in the late 1980's. Did some of his "magic" routine, gave a nice speech.

I interviewed him for my station/network. He seemed to care about W&M, but I always took offense to him using the "Marys and Williams thing" too often, for an easy laugh, on national TV. I don't think it did anything to help our reputation.

edit: Ha! Tribe90, we are on the same page.

I had the good fortune of sailing on a 96 ft wooden schooner from Bermuda to the Virgin Islands in 1989. While island bound on St. John's, I found myself for several days in the middle of four very attractive, ez- Univ of Arkansaa cheerleaders who were on an annual gals only reunion trip. One of them, who became my drinking buddy, operated a CEO/Leadership speaker presentation business which included incorporating magic into those skills. She had become close friends with Holtz and taught him that skill. She thought very highly of him. Ahhh, those were the days......
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 05:53 PM by Tribeheart.)
07-27-2021 05:42 PM
Tribal Offline

Lou Holtz
Ol Holtz and his departure from W&M story. I always appreciated Phil's account, may he rest in peace.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
07-27-2021 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.