Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN talks about CUSA in their article about the future of the Big 12
Bookmark and Share
Hilltop75 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
ESPN talks about CUSA in their article about the future of the Big 12
To the Big 12's remainders: Remember the Sun Belt

In the lingering years of the last REALIGNMENTPALOOZA period, following the big power conference moves, what would become known as college football's Group of 5 made moves of their own. The Big East, raided by other conferences, added some programs and ended up rebranding as the AAC. Conference USA added decent brands like Louisiana Tech in 2013 and Western Kentucky in 2014, but it also aggressively attempted to acquire market potential. It went after FAU and FIU as an approximation of the Miami market, UTSA for San Antonio, North Texas for Dallas and Middle Tennessee for Nashville. Charlotte created a football program and joined C-USA, too.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/in...mic-change
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021 09:44 AM by BeliefBlazer.)
07-26-2021 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: ESPN talks about CUSA in their article about the future of the Big 12
to line item 4. - once MEM invested in football, I always thought they were the next in line…

however, I still think the flagships break off, and give the ncaa the double pump middle fingas…

@$$$
07-26-2021 08:12 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
When this thing splits open you either like sports for what they are or you find other things to do with your time. Right now I'm in the group that loves watching "my team" so I will still be there. But even that is getting closer to me....

just going fishing
07-26-2021 08:22 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(07-26-2021 08:22 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When this thing splits open you either like sports for what they are or you find other things to do with your time. Right now I'm in the group that loves watching "my team" so I will still be there. But even that is getting closer to me....

just going fishing

I am with you. We don't watch college football because of the sec. We watch our team, our underdogs,..

If you root for a G5 team it's because you were pointing a middle finger at the big boys.

I don't really care what they do, I only care about Marshall and to a point, I care about y'all as well. I don't know what's going to happen, but I certainly don't care if the SEC breaks away. Or becomes the minor league that it is, I'm still going to watch Marshall.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2021 08:39 PM by rileylives.)
07-26-2021 08:38 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(07-26-2021 08:38 PM)rileylives Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 08:22 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When this thing splits open you either like sports for what they are or you find other things to do with your time. Right now I'm in the group that loves watching "my team" so I will still be there. But even that is getting closer to me....

just going fishing

I am with you. We don't watch college football because of the sec. We watch our team, our underdogs,..

If you root for a G5 team it's because you were pointing a middle finger at the big boys.

I don't really care what they do, I only care about Marshall and to a point, I care about y'all as well. I don't know what's going to happen, but I certainly don't care if the SEC breaks away. Or becomes the minor league that it is, I'm still going to watch Marshall.

Well Said
07-26-2021 08:46 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
The correct strategy here for the Big 12 is to invite BYU immediately, and somehow entice Nebraska to leave the B1G and join the new Big 12. Nebraska --and its' fans-- are miserable in the B1G, and the B1G is very unhappy with Nebraska too. This is not new news. This has been widely publicized. In short, Nebraska desperately misses being the league "Big Dog" like they were in the old Big 8 Conference prior to joining the previous Big 12 alignment. And Nebraska is such a proud program that they left the previous Big 12 lineup because they hated being subservient to Texas and OU, who controlled the conference.

So the remaining 8 Big 12 schools --and BYU-- will need to put a full court press on recruiting Nebraska to LEAVE the B1G and join the NEW BIG 12. Of course, Nebraska will likely demand more control over the conference's decision making, and need a larger share of the Big 12 revenue pie. Perhaps MUCH larger. The Cornhuskers will likely be walking away from millions of B1G TV dollars, but they'll be the "BIG DOG" again in their conference if they do this.

This is the BEST possible outcome for the 8 remaining members of the Big 12. And since Nebraska is so fed up with the B1G, it just might be doable. Both BYU and Nebraska would be tremendous replacements for OU and UT. This is perhaps the best possible outcome the remaining Big 12 members could have ever wished for.
07-26-2021 08:49 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-26-2021 08:49 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  The correct strategy here for the Big 12 is to invite BYU immediately, and somehow entice Nebraska to leave the B1G and join the new Big 12. Nebraska --and its' fans-- are miserable in the B1G, and the B1G is very unhappy with Nebraska too. This is not new news. This has been widely publicized. In short, Nebraska desperately misses being the league "Big Dog" like they were in the old Big 8 Conference prior to joining the previous Big 12 alignment. And Nebraska is such a proud program that they left the previous Big 12 lineup because they hated being subservient to Texas and OU, who controlled the conference.

So the remaining 8 Big 12 schools --and BYU-- will need to put a full court press on recruiting Nebraska to LEAVE the B1G and join the NEW BIG 12. Of course, Nebraska will likely demand more control over the conference's decision making, and need a larger share of the Big 12 revenue pie. Perhaps MUCH larger. The Cornhuskers will likely be walking away from millions of B1G TV dollars, but they'll be the "BIG DOG" again in their conference if they do this.

This is the BEST possible outcome for the 8 remaining members of the Big 12. And since Nebraska is so fed up with the B1G, it just might be doable. Both BYU and Nebraska would be tremendous replacements for OU and UT. This is perhaps the best possible outcome the remaining Big 12 members could have ever wished for.

That actually sounds like a decent idea, and would throw a small wrench into ESPN's plans for BigXII imploding..and it's true Nebraska has been irrelevant and will remain that way as long as they arein BiG....but I still don't see it happening.
07-26-2021 08:59 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-26-2021 08:49 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  The correct strategy here for the Big 12 is to invite BYU immediately, and somehow entice Nebraska to leave the B1G and join the new Big 12. Nebraska --and its' fans-- are miserable in the B1G, and the B1G is very unhappy with Nebraska too.

I can give you 50 million plus reasons why Nebraska will never step foot back into the Big 12. Doesn't mean the Big 12 shouldn't reach to them but Bowlsby knows it will be a swing and miss. You are correct in that you call BYU like yesterday and invite them pronto!

I believe the correct strategy is for the remaining schools to stand pat if possible. Of course if the other four power conferences come a calling you to take that call. If they stand pat I believe some teams will fall in their laps and I'm not talking about teams from the AAC.

If Texas and OU are willing to stay through 2025 you let them stay. That buys you some additional time to see how the landscape is shaping up. When it is all said and done, the Big 12 if they stay together will have the ability to add PAC 12 schools (If the B1G poaches six schools from them) or AAC schools.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2021 09:05 PM by HiddenDragon.)
07-26-2021 09:05 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(07-26-2021 09:05 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 08:49 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  The correct strategy here for the Big 12 is to invite BYU immediately, and somehow entice Nebraska to leave the B1G and join the new Big 12. Nebraska --and its' fans-- are miserable in the B1G, and the B1G is very unhappy with Nebraska too.

I can give you 50 million plus reasons why Nebraska will never step foot back into the Big 12. Doesn't mean the Big 12 shouldn't reach to them but Bowlsby knows it will be a swing and miss. You are correct in that you call BYU like yesterday and invite them pronto!

I believe the correct strategy is for the remaining schools to stand pat if possible. Of course if the other four power conferences come a calling you to take that call. If they stand pat I believe some teams will fall in their laps and I'm not talking about teams from the AAC.

If Texas and OU are willing to stay through 2025 you let them stay. That buys you some additional time to see how the landscape is shaping up. When it is all said and done, the Big 12 if they stay together will have the ability to add PAC 12 schools (If the B1G poaches six schools from them) or AAC schools.

The $50 Million "reason" is NOT a big problem. The Big 12 members are already averaging $37M each themselves. So, just forfeit $1.625M off each of the 8 existing members (or $1.444M off each of the 9 members with BYU in the new mix), and that problem is solved. Nebraska --who will simply be slipping into UT's or OU's spot, will then be making $50M a year while everybody else is making $35.556M each (including BYU). That gives Nebraska a 13.5% share, vs everyone elses' 9.6% share.

This is very doable. And for a school that absolutely despises their current conference and the people running it, this appears to be a legitimate way out. Nebraska gets more control, perhaps more money (if they negotiate it), and they get to play in a conference of schools they are very familiar with and probably have a good chance of producing a conference champion once again.

I believe I could sell this. The big 12 jsut can't send somebody like Judy in to sell it. 03-lmfao
07-26-2021 09:20 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
The moral is you don't go for any school in a big market. You go for the school that carries it's surrounding market, no matter the size. That school has fans. That school wins more often than not.
07-27-2021 12:14 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(07-26-2021 09:20 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

The $50 Million "reason" is NOT a big problem. The Big 12 members are already averaging $37M each themselves. So, just forfeit $1.625M off each of the 8 existing members (or $1.444M off each of the 9 members with BYU in the new mix), and that problem is solved. Nebraska --who will simply be slipping into UT's or OU's spot, will then be making $50M a year while everybody else is making $35.556M each (including BYU). That gives Nebraska a 13.5% share, vs everyone elses' 9.6% share.

This is very doable. And for a school that absolutely despises their current conference and the people running it, this appears to be a legitimate way out. Nebraska gets more control, perhaps more money (if they negotiate it), and they get to play in a conference of schools they are very familiar with and probably have a good chance of producing a conference champion once again.

I believe I could sell this. The big 12 jsut can't send somebody like Judy in to sell it. 03-lmfao

The B12 sans UT/OU won’t get paid anywhere near $35M a year. Bringing in Nebraska and netting them $50M a year won’t be easy without lowering the rest of the conference down to like AAC money. Even with Nebraska on board, they’re making low $20s at best. Combine that with the fact that many of these schools are a bit irresponsible with money and have already spent the money that they haven’t been paid yet, and there’s no way that you can shave more off the top.
07-27-2021 12:32 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-26-2021 09:20 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

The $50 Million "reason" is NOT a big problem.

Not a big problem for who? If you are the Big 12 it is a huge problem. If you're making the $50 million it's not a problem at all! The B1G isn't going to kick Nebraska out of the conference and the Cornhuskers isn't going to take a decrease in pay simply because they don't like their situation.
07-27-2021 07:33 AM
KY4MU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Herd
Nebraska has no been able to compete like they thought with the B10. That is a given. They also know that going back to the Big12 is taking a chance that may get them into a very bad predictment that they don’t need to be in. Their best bet is to stay where they are and stop complaining and start winning.
07-27-2021 08:13 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
At that time tv contracts were based on cable tv numbers. It’s why the SEC added Missouri. CUSA went to 14 because at the time you got one million per school per year from the BCS money. We were looking in to adding more members when they changed the rules. CUSA’s leadership actually made sound decisions based on the environment at the time. Unfortunately the situation changed. The ultimate blame lies with the members because every one of us underperformed.
07-27-2021 08:20 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(07-27-2021 08:20 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  At that time tv contracts were based on cable tv numbers. It’s why the SEC added Missouri. CUSA went to 14 because at the time you got one million per school per year from the BCS money. We were looking in to adding more members when they changed the rules. CUSA’s leadership actually made sound decisions based on the environment at the time. Unfortunately the situation changed. The ultimate blame lies with the members because every one of us underperformed.

You only got $1M per school up to your 12th school, going to 14 was puzzling. I assume to protect against future raids.
07-27-2021 08:32 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(07-27-2021 08:32 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 08:20 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  At that time tv contracts were based on cable tv numbers. It’s why the SEC added Missouri. CUSA went to 14 because at the time you got one million per school per year from the BCS money. We were looking in to adding more members when they changed the rules. CUSA’s leadership actually made sound decisions based on the environment at the time. Unfortunately the situation changed. The ultimate blame lies with the members because every one of us underperformed.

You only got $1M per school up to your 12th school, going to 14 was puzzling. I assume to protect against future raids.

They changed it to 12 after we went to 14. With the SunBelt backfilling with 1-AA the cartel realized that there were going to be more mouths to feed than they planned on and put a cap on per conference payout
07-27-2021 08:44 AM
Advertisement

everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
Bring on the backwoods hillbilly farmboy conference. Sorry UAB, too urban.

USM
ULALA
LT
Marshall
Troy
APP
Ark St
WKU
07-27-2021 09:26 AM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-27-2021 08:44 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 08:32 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  

They changed it to 12 after we went to 14. With the SunBelt backfilling with 1-AA the cartel realized that there were going to be more mouths to feed than they planned on and put a cap on per conference payout

Exactly, that's where CUSA erred, not reading the room and seeing the payout would be reduced. If that rule hadn't been changed then more than likely all G5s would have went to 16.
07-27-2021 10:39 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(07-27-2021 09:26 AM)everyone Wrote:  Bring on the backwoods hillbilly farmboy conference. Sorry UAB, too urban.

USM
ULALA
LT
Marshall
Troy
APP
Ark St
WKU

02-13-banana02-13-banana I'm down with that 02-13-banana02-13-banana
07-27-2021 11:07 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(07-26-2021 08:38 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

just going fishing

Ditto. I don't follow any other team but ODU and the teams in our conference. Before CUSA I kept up with Delaware, JMU, etc. Now I don't keep up with them. I don't care about Alabama or any of those others teams. Only time I watch them play is if they're in one of the NY6 bowl games that everyone is watching because nothing else is on and my teams doneski.
07-27-2021 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.