Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting thread from Texas Board….
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Interesting thread from Texas Board….
Don’t know the credibility of the poster. The guy has a high post count and there doesn’t seem to be any pushback from other posters.

From the post….

“I still have a few contacts on the CFB broadcast side and since Wednesday, a lot of meetings have and are being held with the Programming Execs, the lawyers and the bean counters and some things are starting to emerge.”

4. Look for the ACC to make the next move. Clemson is making noises to either make the conference significantly stronger and soon or they will look to bolt as well. Talk now is the ACC is looking to get to a 20 team conference before the SEC.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/boar...00/?page=1
07-25-2021 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Interesting thread from Texas Board….
(07-25-2021 06:39 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Don’t know the credibility of the poster. The guy has a high post count and there doesn’t seem to be any pushback from other posters.

From the post….

“I still have a few contacts on the CFB broadcast side and since Wednesday, a lot of meetings have and are being held with the Programming Execs, the lawyers and the bean counters and some things are starting to emerge.”

4. Look for the ACC to make the next move. Clemson is making noises to either make the conference significantly stronger and soon or they will look to bolt as well. Talk now is the ACC is looking to get to a 20 team conference before the SEC.

It makes sense that the ACC would act now if they are thinking about doing something. I would not be surprised if they contact Texas and Oklahoma about a counter offer to join the ACC although because the ACC commissioner is new, who knows what his philosophy is. There are things that the ACC could offer that the SEC can't such as letting Texas have their own network. Also the ACC's basketball future is extremely bright and much brighter than the SEC's and just because college football is number one in revenue does not mean that it will forever hold that title as basketball is about to be opened up to a worldwide audience via internet streaming and basketball is the number 2 sport in the world (and there is no world wide audience for college football).
07-25-2021 08:52 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-25-2021 06:39 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Don’t know the credibility of the poster. The guy has a high post count and there doesn’t seem to be any pushback from other posters.

From the post….

Thanks, CJ.
07-25-2021 09:08 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(07-25-2021 06:39 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  4. Look for the ACC to make the next move. Clemson is making noises to either make the conference significantly stronger and soon or they will look to bolt as well. Talk now is the ACC is looking to get to a 20 team conference before the SEC.

Really??

Clemson is making noises to make the conference stronger?

I don't know that this is true. If it was true, I think you could point to statements from Clemson types that would support this.

The only thing I know Clemson made noise about was NOT expanding the college football playoff. They like it just fine the way it is. Which makes a ton of sense, given their success of late.

I would also think they are fine with the way the conference is currently. Again ... because they have owned the conference, which has contributed to their success. Hell ... they've even been able to overcome a conference loss on their way to the playoff. So for them, the conference is working, and is strong enough for Clemson to overcome a loss.

ALSO --- How would adding 4 or 5 schools to the 14/15 we have now suddenly make things better for Clemson?

That doesn't make any sense to me either. Because randomly adding a bunch of schools wouldn't necessarily improve things for the ACC.

We ain't adding Notre Dame.
We ain't adding Ohio State.
We ain't adding Michigan.
We ain't adding Southern Cal.

And we ain't strengthening our conference by adding the Central Florida Golden Knights, TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia and BYU.

I think the Texas folks are talking out of their a*ses with this post.

I bet the ACC does nothing in the immediate future.
07-25-2021 09:59 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
What if the ACC really goes outside the box and does move to 20. They would then divide into four pods of five.

Add
ND (first step)

Add West division (add content to late night games):
USC
Oregon
Washington
UCLA
Arizona State
07-26-2021 02:01 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
This wouldn't surprise me at at all.

As in, they will add a bunch of also-rans that ESPN wants to keep from being a headache. ESPN will give the ACC a nominal raise (that will look good for about a year until everyone else's contracts are in).

And the ACC office will champion their great vision, while being taken to the cleaners again.

We've seen this movie before. I know how it ends.
07-26-2021 02:27 PM
Advertisement

nole Online
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(07-26-2021 02:27 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  This wouldn't surprise me at at all.

As in, they will add a bunch of also-rans that ESPN wants to keep from being a headache. ESPN will give the ACC a nominal raise (that will look good for about a year until everyone else's contracts are in).

And the ACC office will champion their great vision, while being taken to the cleaners again.

This. ACC just the dupster for ESPN. It ends in the lowest paid conference.
07-26-2021 02:57 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(07-26-2021 02:57 PM)nole Wrote:  

I tend to agree with both of you. Y’all don’t have anything to worry about though. The SEC will invite you as soon as the GOR is manageable.

My team on the other hand will be playing in The Big East 3.0 with whatever other ACC misfits that can’t find a way off the island.

Meet the new boss…same as the old boss
07-26-2021 03:47 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
With Comcast ESPN agreement ending. The ACC Network will finally be on Comcast. Revenue will climb.
07-26-2021 03:49 PM
nole Online
1st String

(07-26-2021 03:47 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 02:57 PM)nole Wrote:  

I tend to agree with both of you. Y’all don’t have anything to worry about though. The SEC will invite you as soon as the GOR is manageable.

My team on the other hand will be playing in The Big East 3.0 with whatever other ACC misfits that can’t find a way off the island.

Meet the new boss…same as the old boss

Would hate it for you if it happened. I don't think anyone in the ACC is safe.

It's sad, didn't have to be like this. The ACC was arrogant and stupid.....and that is a horrible combo. Ignoring shock waves, ignoring revenue issues, being obtuse with TV contract negotiations (they didn't even open them), adding schools based on antiquated business models.

The ACC screwed up every area possible. SHouldn't have happened like this.
07-26-2021 03:55 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-26-2021 03:49 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  With Comcast ESPN agreement ending. The ACC Network will finally be on Comcast. Revenue will climb.

Comcast is the largest cable provider but they're not a majority of TV revenue. There are dozens and dozens of providers. Comcast does not represent some sea change in revenue.
07-26-2021 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-26-2021 06:06 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 03:49 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  With Comcast ESPN agreement ending. The ACC Network will finally be on Comcast. Revenue will climb.

Comcast is the largest cable provider but they're not a majority of TV revenue. There are dozens and dozens of providers. Comcast does not represent some sea change in revenue.

The ACC won't be getting a $17M jump like the SEC - there just aren't any jumps like that left, much less ones the ACC can tap into right now.

What the ACC can (and should) do is grab all the $3M and $4M bumps it can grab. Comcast is big enough to be one of those bumps.
07-26-2021 07:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nole Online
1st String

(07-26-2021 07:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

The ACC won't be getting a $17M jump like the SEC - there just aren't any jumps like that left, much less ones the ACC can tap into right now.

What the ACC can (and should) do is grab all the $3M and $4M bumps it can grab. Comcast is big enough to be one of those bumps.

Not if it means increasing the GOR timeline. Hell no.
07-26-2021 07:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Mark it's 18 million and change and it start's in 2025, unless ESPN buys CBS out early likely with a lease of inventory. And each year from now until 2025 the SEC gets ~1.9 million in escalators. We paid out between 47-48 million on average to member schools though early in the year we announced 45.5 which I think was contract money without post season added in. So at 47 we will add 7.6 million in escalators before the new contract bumps it 18. So 72.6 million in 2025. And Texas and Oklahoma will bump it further as ESPN will revalue the contract. When SI reported an amount of "approximately a half billion" I new additions were already baked in because the last solid estimate was over 350 million in the final contract.

Every cites over 300 million, only because CBS offered 307 and was turned down. Vince Thompson said on Finebaum earlier this year that the final amount was closer to 400 million than 300 so more than 350.

The increased amounts for OU and UT divided 17 ways (conference share) hits right at 75 million per school in payout.
07-26-2021 07:24 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-26-2021 07:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Mark it's 18 million and change and it start's in 2025, unless ESPN buys CBS out early likely with a lease of inventory. And each year from now until 2025 the SEC gets ~1.9 million in escalators. We paid out between 47-48 million on average to member schools though early in the year we announced 45.5 which I think was contract money without post season added in. So at 47 we will add 7.6 million in escalators before the new contract bumps it 18. So 72.6 million in 2025. And Texas and Oklahoma will bump it further as ESPN will revalue the contract. When SI reported an amount of "approximately a half billion" I new additions were already baked in because the last solid estimate was over 350 million in the final contract.

Every cites over 300 million, only because CBS offered 307 and was turned down. Vince Thompson said on Finebaum earlier this year that the final amount was closer to 400 million than 300 so more than 350.

The increased amounts for OU and UT divided 17 ways (conference share) hits right at 75 million per school in payout.

I understand, and I realize that the ACC - as presently configured - cannot get to $75M per school. It will take every trick in the bag just to get to $50M per by 2025. I could see the ACC getting to $75M by 2036 (thanks in large part to escalators), but by then the SEC will surely be at $100M or more.

It's insane numbers, really.
07-26-2021 08:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(07-26-2021 02:01 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  What if the ACC really goes outside the box and does move to 20. They would then divide into four pods of five.

Add
ND (first step)

USC
Oregon
Washington
UCLA
Arizona State

IF ESPN were willing to pay us an addition $10 mil per school per year, we could expand to 20 but that that point it's over. No more increased revenue other than escalators coming our way and we're stuck with 6 additional teams.

And most likely those schools are coming from the B12. So.... WVU for the North and TCU, Baylor, OSU, KSU and ISU for the West pod. Just so we maximize the number of states for the ACCN.

How's that going to look:
North
BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville
East
UVA, VT, UNC, NCSU, Duke
South
WF, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami
West
TCU, Baylor, OSU, KSU and ISU

Personally the only way I see 20 more schools being feasible is if you have promotion and relegation between a 10 team champions league and a 10 team premiere league.
07-27-2021 01:33 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Presumably ESPN could pay the ACC to take in 6 Big 12 leftovers, but why would they? The only reason I could think of is that by making sure 8 of 10 Big 12 teams had a safe landing they could dissolve the Big 12 eliminating exit fees for all of them.

Given the size of the pay cut those 6 would be facing, they would jump at the chance to go to a P5 conference. But what's in it for the ACC?
07-27-2021 05:44 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(07-27-2021 05:44 AM)ken d Wrote:  Presumably ESPN could pay the ACC to take in 6 Big 12 leftovers, but why would they? The only reason I could think of is that by making sure 8 of 10 Big 12 teams had a safe landing they could dissolve the Big 12 eliminating exit fees for all of them.

Given the size of the pay cut those 6 would be facing, they would jump at the chance to go to a P5 conference. But what's in it for the ACC?

That will never happen.

ESPN's not in the business of caring what happens to the collateral damage of their ventures. Trust me on that.
07-27-2021 06:06 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-27-2021 06:06 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 05:44 AM)ken d Wrote:  Presumably ESPN could pay the ACC to take in 6 Big 12 leftovers, but why would they? The only reason I could think of is that by making sure 8 of 10 Big 12 teams had a safe landing they could dissolve the Big 12 eliminating exit fees for all of them.

That will never happen.

ESPN's not in the business of caring what happens to the collateral damage of their ventures. Trust me on that.

What I could see happening is ESPN encouraging the ACC to take Kansas and West Virginia, and then bailing out the Big 12 (at a much lower payout) by moving six AAC teams (UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and Navy) as a division to join the remaining 6 teams. That effectively eliminates the AAC entirely, cutting out the football dead weight.

Even without a tentpole, that's still a decent top to bottom football conference that could be had on the cheap for the Mouse, including schools that are already under the ESPN umbrella. And it's not bad in hoops either.
07-27-2021 08:39 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(07-26-2021 02:01 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  What if the ACC really goes outside the box and does move to 20. They would then divide into four pods of five.

Add
ND (first step)

USC
Oregon
Washington
UCLA
Arizona State

I like it, just stick ND in the western division.
07-27-2021 08:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.