Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Add 3 Schools?
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
Add 3 Schools?
Financially we are not going to catch the SEC or B1G unless one implodes therefore why not stay 3rd in the P5 and block the PAC from gaining ground? Regardless of ND add three schools to gain tv market and block the PAC. The ACC did this once to keep Louisville from going to the Big 12 and to get the long term GOR, if Louisville would’ve went to the Big 12 there were ACC schools that were going to the Big 12 also and the ACC would be the ones getting poached right now.
07-24-2021 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Add 3 Schools?
(07-24-2021 05:53 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  Financially we are not going to catch the SEC or B1G unless one implodes therefore why not stay 3rd in the P5 and block the PAC from gaining ground? Regardless of ND add three schools to gain tv market and block the PAC. The ACC did this once to keep Louisville from going to the Big 12 and to get the long term GOR, if Louisville would’ve went to the Big 12 there were ACC schools that were going to the Big 12 also and the ACC would be the ones getting poached right now.

Nah .... for two reasons ....

First - it's a different situation now. When we were invited, it was to replace Maryland. We're not replacing anyone now. The secondary effect of blocking the next best school going to the Big XII was nice, but not the reason for the add.

Second - the schools available wouldn't grow revenues enough to maintain the per school payouts as they are. Which is the measuring stick to rank the revenues of the power conferences.

With the Big XII losing it's two heavy weights, the ACC will already move into 3rd in the P4, as the PAC still struggles with their network.

The ACC needs to continue to "court" Notre Dame. They are the only big fish that makes expansion profitable.
07-24-2021 09:52 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(07-24-2021 09:52 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 05:53 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  Financially we are not going to catch the SEC or B1G unless one implodes therefore why not stay 3rd in the P5 and block the PAC from gaining ground? Regardless of ND add three schools to gain tv market and block the PAC. The ACC did this once to keep Louisville from going to the Big 12 and to get the long term GOR, if Louisville would’ve went to the Big 12 there were ACC schools that were going to the Big 12 also and the ACC would be the ones getting poached right now.

Nah .... for two reasons ....

First - it's a different situation now. When we were invited, it was to replace Maryland. We're not replacing anyone now. The secondary effect of blocking the next best school going to the Big XII was nice, but not the reason for the add.

Second - the schools available wouldn't grow revenues enough to maintain the per school payouts as they are. Which is the measuring stick to rank the revenues of the power conferences.

With the Big XII losing it's two heavy weights, the ACC will already move into 3rd in the P4, as the PAC still struggles with their network.

The ACC needs to continue to "court" Notre Dame. They are the only big fish that makes expansion profitable.

If profit were the only motive, then all of the power conferences would be shedding their perennial bottom dwellers -- the ones who demand and take equal slices of the pie without contributing much to its preparation. Seeking to create and maintain more competitive game environments and fan interest should figure into every expansion equation. So should resurrecting lapsed rivalries, usually a reflection of geographic proximity. Do those things, and the money will follow.
07-25-2021 12:58 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC

Wait, I must have been on mushrooms when the B12 was pursuing Louisville. That's not the way I recall it.

The ACC took Louisville because Maryland left for the B1G.
07-25-2021 02:45 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(07-25-2021 02:45 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

Wait, I must have been on mushrooms when the B12 was pursuing Louisville. That's not the way I recall it.

Actually they took Louisville instead of UCONN because The ACC didn’t feel like the Huskies had any other conference pursuing them.

This is from the Hartford paper on November 28, 2012:

“In fact, the ACC reportedly feared that Louisville would join another conference if it were not added. UConn — and Cincinnati, another candidate — will be available if the ACC expands again, conference officials reportedly believed. UConn now sits and waits again, and there is no telling when the next team makes a move from a conference, once again setting off a chain reaction, but most people feel that conference realignment is not finished.”

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-xpm-...story.html
07-25-2021 04:05 PM
connecticutguy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
Has anyone discussed adding UConn, Navy and Army. Would increase fan base in metro New York City and metro DC regions. (a large chunk of Connecticut is in the metro NYC market)
07-25-2021 04:26 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(07-25-2021 04:26 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Has anyone discussed adding UConn, Navy and Army. Would increase fan base in metro New York City and metro DC regions. (a large chunk of Connecticut is in the metro NYC market)

Nobody with more than two brain cells.
07-25-2021 04:29 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(07-25-2021 04:16 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 04:15 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 04:12 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 04:05 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 02:45 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Wait, I must have been on mushrooms when the B12 was pursuing Louisville. That's not the way I recall it.

Actually they took Louisville instead of UCONN because The ACC didn’t feel like the Huskies had any other conference pursuing them.

This is from the Hartford paper on November 28, 2012:

“In fact, the ACC reportedly feared that Louisville would join another conference if it were not added. UConn — and Cincinnati, another candidate — will be available if the ACC expands again, conference officials reportedly believed. UConn now sits and waits again, and there is no telling when the next team makes a move from a conference, once again setting off a chain reaction, but most people feel that conference realignment is not finished.”

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-xpm-...story.html

For the love of God, that's not F U C K I N G true. That is just an opinion from UConn boosters. UConn was not WANTED by most of the ACC - not wanted by all the football schools and BC.

Please provide evidence of your opinion and try to refrain from the vulgar language.

Read the damn article Jim - the article you posted but failed to read.

The following in the article is from Holden Thorp. Holden is a good boy, but he was not running a damn thing at UNC. He was put in as a patsy, but’s that’s a long story.

"What we felt it was that the ACC needed most was to add the most exciting sports programs that we could," said North Carolina Chancellor Holden Thorp, chairman of the ACC Council of Presidents.
Thorp admitted that athletics was the priority.
"That is the way to ensure that the success of the ACC in sports was successful enough to allow us to keep our group together," said Thorp, who is resigning in June amid an NCAA investigation into his school's athletic program. "We talked about that extensively. … We feel very good about the addition of Louisville in every respect, but our logic was that we wanted to make the ACC as exciting a sports conference as we possibly could and we felt that Louisville unambiguously did that for us the best."

This is Swofford’s comment:
"Geographically, this allows the ACC to extend our footprint into a vibrant region that is collegiately driven while maintaining our strong roots up and down the Atlantic coast," ACC commissioner John Swofford said.

All other comments are UConn opines and thoughts other than comments attributed to another school that had not a damn thing to do with the discussion over UConn. What Louisville people had to say about UConn did not count for ****.

Next I guess I will hear from Louisville and Syracuse posters about what actually constitutes Lexington Bar B Que and the exact difference between the Bar B Que Center in Lexington and Stamey's in Greensboro. Then you will tell us how old Stamey's chopping block is. Damn. 03-puke

I think you guys are missing the point.

If Maryland doesn't leave for the B1G, Louisville is still in the AAC.

So the inaccuracy in the OP was that the ACC took Louisville because they thought the B12 was going to take them. The reason why they took Louisville was to take Maryland's place.
07-25-2021 05:02 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Is the object to lose more money?

There aren't 3 teams to add that will close the revenue gap
07-25-2021 05:20 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-25-2021 04:26 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Has anyone discussed adding UConn, Navy and Army. Would increase fan base in metro New York City and metro DC regions. (a large chunk of Connecticut is in the metro NYC market)

The BOS-WASH is NFL territory.
07-25-2021 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-25-2021 05:20 PM)nole Wrote:  Is the object to lose more money?

There aren't 3 teams to add that will close the revenue gap

On the plus side...you'd have two really nice road trips. Michie especially is a bucket list stadium. 04-cheers
07-25-2021 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I would be in favor of adding Kansas and one other team (to be determined). This would keep the blue blood basketball school out of the B1G and PAC12. This would be part of a larger push in basketball to get a worldwide audience for ACC basketball via internet streaming. This may work well but it will take time to execute the strategy. The upside of doing this is that it may far exceed the SEC and B1G in income eventually (there is no audience for college football outside the US) but basketball is the number 2 sport in the world. The downside is probably a couple million less per school in the ACC (if Kansas and the other team fall flat on their faces) but the upside is big $$$, really big so worth the gamble.
07-25-2021 09:35 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(07-25-2021 09:35 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  I would be in favor of adding Kansas and one other team (to be determined). This would keep the blue blood basketball school out of the B1G and PAC12. This would be part of a larger push in basketball to get a worldwide audience for ACC basketball via internet streaming. This may work well but it will take time to execute the strategy. The upside of doing this is that it may far exceed the SEC and B1G in income eventually (there is no audience for college football outside the US) but basketball is the number 2 sport in the world. The downside is probably a couple million less per school in the ACC (if Kansas and the other team fall flat on their faces) but the upside is big $$$, really big so worth the gamble.

This whole thing is about $. Why would you want something that is less money?

And it seems the ACC regularly downplays money like this suggestion does, but if I said....unequal revenue sharing.....the same folks would say "that's not fair...money matters now".

I don't get it. The ACC has a MONEY issue...not a basketball one.
07-25-2021 09:41 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(07-25-2021 09:41 PM)nole Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 09:35 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  I would be in favor of adding Kansas and one other team (to be determined). This would keep the blue blood basketball school out of the B1G and PAC12. This would be part of a larger push in basketball to get a worldwide audience for ACC basketball via internet streaming. This may work well but it will take time to execute the strategy. The upside of doing this is that it may far exceed the SEC and B1G in income eventually (there is no audience for college football outside the US) but basketball is the number 2 sport in the world. The downside is probably a couple million less per school in the ACC (if Kansas and the other team fall flat on their faces) but the upside is big $$$, really big so worth the gamble.

And it seems the ACC regularly downplays money like this suggestion does, but if I said....unequal revenue sharing.....the same folks would say "that's not fair...money matters now".

I would accept Kansas ONLY IF ESPN PAID US LIKE A MUG TO TAKE KANSAS.

Which could happen. We will do what ESPN wants us to do, and maybe they would want to poach Kansas from Fox.

But we shouldn't take Kansas for what their value is. It's sub par.
07-25-2021 09:46 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-25-2021 09:46 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 09:41 PM)nole Wrote:  

I would accept Kansas ONLY IF ESPN PAID US LIKE A MUG TO TAKE KANSAS.

Which could happen. We will do what ESPN wants us to do, and maybe they would want to poach Kansas from Fox.

But we shouldn't take Kansas for what their value is. It's sub par.

^^^ THIS ^^^

If ESPN wants to build the ACC into an elite basketball conference, they need to pay elite money for it - NOT a small amount more than what they are paying now.
07-coffee3
07-25-2021 10:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.