Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does the ACC need?
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
What does the ACC need?
TV money and more football. I think if there are no schools that drastically change our payout we either stay put or go Big, unless ND decides to go all in but I don’t see that happening. The only way I see the ACC adding leftover Big 12 schools is if we take 4 or more unless ESPN wants to pay us big for WV and Kansas. The Texas market is booming and the ACC network would love to add the Texas Market.
07-22-2021 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: What does the ACC need?
(07-22-2021 02:46 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  TV money and more football. I think if there are no schools that drastically change our payout we either stay put or go Big, unless ND decides to go all in but I don’t see that happening. The only way I see the ACC adding leftover Big 12 schools is if we take 4 or more unless ESPN wants to pay us big for WV and Kansas. The Texas market is booming and the ACC network would love to add the Texas Market.

There are two schools in Texas that have the gumption to compete for a national title despite being at a financial disadvantage, because they're used to it: TCU and Houston.

If the ACC decides to expand, it needs to look for schools like that, IMO. Anyone can win when they have superior resources.
07-22-2021 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
If the ACC expanded then wouldn't the GOR become void? If that's the case, why would the majority of the conference want that? You think Wake Forest and Boston College want to open the door for Clemson and FSU to leave?

PLUS, THERE ARE NO SCHOOLS LEFT THAT WILL MAKE THE ACC MONEY
07-22-2021 04:24 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-22-2021 02:46 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  What does the ACC need?

Football first fanbases.
07-22-2021 04:35 PM

(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  You think Wake Forest and Boston College want to open the door for Clemson and FSU to leave?

If you're too scared to open the door Greg Sankey is more than happy to kick it in for you instead.
07-22-2021 04:36 PM
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(07-22-2021 04:35 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 02:46 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  What does the ACC need?

Football first fanbases.

Yep... Plus a time machine to hire a new commish a decade ago.
07-22-2021 04:40 PM
Advertisement

(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  PLUS, THERE ARE NO SCHOOLS LEFT THAT WILL MAKE THE ACC MONEY

Net positive money moves for the ACC:
- Add ND as a full member
- Add another higher end program from a P5 (unlikely)
- Drop Wake Forest football
- Drop Duke football
- Drop Boston College football
- Add UCF football

The scary thing about the three drops ... is that Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Virginia aren't much higher than BC in football evaluation. To put it in perspective for you ... the WSJ evaluates the value of UCF football as already straight up higher than Duke football.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 04:43 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-22-2021 04:43 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2021 04:43 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  PLUS, THERE ARE NO SCHOOLS LEFT THAT WILL MAKE THE ACC MONEY

Net positive money moves for the ACC:
- Add ND as a full member
- Add another higher end program from a P5 (unlikely)
- Drop Wake Forest football
- Drop Duke football
- Drop Boston College football
- Add UCF football

The scary thing about the three drops ... is that Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Virginia aren't much higher than BC in football evaluation. To put it in perspective for you ... the WSJ evaluates the value of UCF football as already straight up higher than Duke football.

Dropping Duke and Wake to Notre Dame membership status makes financial sense - for everyone - but dropping the others starts to impact revenue. UCF is intriguing.
07-22-2021 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(07-22-2021 04:36 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  You think Wake Forest and Boston College want to open the door for Clemson and FSU to leave?

If you're too scared to open the door Greg Sankey is more than happy to kick it in for you instead.

For what?
07-22-2021 06:17 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd like to point out that an event which invalidates the GoR would also invalidate the TV contract (probably), thus allowing the ACC to (potentially) negotiate a new one based on current market prices... just sayin'
05-stirthepot
07-22-2021 06:25 PM

(07-22-2021 06:17 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 04:36 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

For what?

Denial of long term sustainable demographics for the B1G. Permanent denial of a cash lead for the B1G. Reinvorgation of the gate by playing a locally focused schedule while packing sufficient and broad enough brand power to saturate the national airwaves. No more severed rivalries. Monopoly hold on advertising rates in the college football TV markets that matter most. Monopoly hold on the college football recruiting markets that matter most. Every Saturday on TV would be like the British Empire in its heyday: the TV sun doesn't set on the conference. Literally around the clock on Saturday there's two network channels full of games and a national signature ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 blend. 12:00. 3:00 6:00 9:00 Times three, give or take on that final time slot.
07-22-2021 06:30 PM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(07-22-2021 06:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'd like to point out that an event which invalidates the GoR would also invalidate the TV contract (probably), thus allowing the ACC to (potentially) negotiate a new one based on current market prices... just sayin'
05-stirthepot

You willing to gamble on letting the big fish out of the net and hoping he stays around long enough to trap him again? In this current climate, the second the GOR is invalidated, Clemson and FSU start getting a lot of love from SEC and B1G.
07-22-2021 07:53 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  If the ACC expanded then wouldn't the GOR become void? If that's the case, why would the majority of the conference want that? You think Wake Forest and Boston College want to open the door for Clemson and FSU to leave?

No, I wouldn't think so. Why would it? You would have to think the ACC had to plan for the possibility of ND going all in when they wrote it.
07-22-2021 08:04 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(07-22-2021 07:53 PM)otown Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 06:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'd like to point out that an event which invalidates the GoR would also invalidate the TV contract (probably), thus allowing the ACC to (potentially) negotiate a new one based on current market prices... just sayin'
05-stirthepot

You willing to gamble on letting the big fish out of the net and hoping he stays around long enough to trap him again? In this current climate, the second the GOR is invalidated, Clemson and FSU start getting a lot of love from SEC and B1G.

Yeah ask the Big 12 about negotiating a new media contract these days.
07-22-2021 08:16 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(07-22-2021 08:04 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 04:24 PM)esayem Wrote:  If the ACC expanded then wouldn't the GOR become void? If that's the case, why would the majority of the conference want that? You think Wake Forest and Boston College want to open the door for Clemson and FSU to leave?

No, I wouldn't think so. Why would it? You would have to think the ACC had to plan for the possibility of ND going all in when they wrote it.

I imagine Notre Dame is already included.
07-22-2021 08:22 PM

Having Duke and Wake Forest drop football triggers the requisite renegotiation clause.
07-22-2021 08:44 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2021 08:44 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Having Duke and Wake Forest drop football triggers the requisite renegotiation clause.

IDK, would ESPN even notice?
05-stirthepot
07-22-2021 11:35 PM
curtis0620 Online
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Go big. Texas, Tex Tech, OK, OK State, WVU and ND.

four 5-team pods
1. TX, TX Tech, OK, OK St, ND
2. Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, BC, Louisville
3. Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami, NC St
4. NC, Duke, WF, VT, Virginia

9 game schedule. 4 in group and 5 in 1 other group that rotates by year.

You play everybody every three years
07-23-2021 09:53 AM

(07-23-2021 09:53 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Go big.

The basketball first schools in the ACC should be terrified of other people doing exactly that. The SEC or the B1G could just reach down and double the conference payments to FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, Miami, and NC State and that's a wrap on ACC football at the P level. All the Jordans and all the Zions on Earth can't overcome football being more than 80% of the revenue now. If the ACC were going to do something to stop this runaway train it should have happened some time ago, starting with yanking March Madness away from the NCAA so that basketball doesn't fund the entirety of the NCAA any more. By letting the NCAA consume a huge chunk of the basketball money the ACC allowed this trajectory to happen. In 1984 when the NCAA lost all the football money that should have been a four alarm fire in Durham and Chapel Hill to do the same with March Madness.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 10:01 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-23-2021 10:00 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2021 10:00 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(07-23-2021 09:53 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Go big.

The basketball first schools in the ACC should be terrified of other people doing exactly that. The SEC or the B1G could just reach down and double the conference payments to FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, Miami, and NC State and that's a wrap on ACC football at the P level. All the Jordans and all the Zions on Earth can't overcome football being more than 80% of the revenue now. If the ACC were going to do something to stop this runaway train it should have happened some time ago, starting with yanking March Madness away from the NCAA so that basketball doesn't fund the entirety of the NCAA any more. By letting the NCAA consume a huge chunk of the basketball money the ACC allowed this trajectory to happen. In 1984 when the NCAA lost all the football money that should have been a four alarm fire in Durham and Chapel Hill to do the same with March Madness.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Might be the best comment anyone has ever posted on this site!
01-ncaabbs
07-23-2021 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.