Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This UT/OU move proves that AAC was playing checkers and the MW was playing chess
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Exclamation This UT/OU move proves that AAC was playing checkers and the MW was playing chess
01-ncaabbs to the MWC. They played some Chinese Long Game 4D Chess on this one. So Texas and OU and possibly other schools leave the B12. Where does the B12 turn to for back fills? The P6. MW saw this coming years ago and to protect against getting poached, slowly "fell behind" the AAC to the point none of the schools are in danger and their conference is safe. Well played MW, well played indeed.

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-22-2021 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
RE: This UT/OU move proves that AAC was playing checkers and the MW was playing chess
(07-22-2021 07:51 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  01-ncaabbs to the MWC. They played some Chinese Long Game 4D Chess on this one. So Texas and OU and possibly other schools leave the B12. Where does the B12 turn to for back fills? The P6. MW saw this coming years ago and to protect against getting poached, slowly "fell behind" the AAC to the point none of the schools are in danger and their conference is safe. Well played MW, well played indeed.

Wrong. The AAC will do the poaching from the Big 12 leftovers. As soon as Kansas and maybe one other go to the Big Ten the Big 12 will only have 7 or 8 schools without the anchors of Texas and Oklahoma WVU will go running asap. Why would they stay if the money goes down, which it will. Maybe the PAC 12 adds TTU or OSU? There won't be anything left to have a Big 12. The rest will go to the AAC and bump our TV a little.
07-22-2021 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
RE: This UT/OU move proves that AAC was playing checkers and the MW was playing chess
(07-22-2021 07:58 AM)Poseidon Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 07:51 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  01-ncaabbs to the MWC. They played some Chinese Long Game 4D Chess on this one. So Texas and OU and possibly other schools leave the B12. Where does the B12 turn to for back fills? The P6. MW saw this coming years ago and to protect against getting poached, slowly "fell behind" the AAC to the point none of the schools are in danger and their conference is safe. Well played MW, well played indeed.

Wrong. The AAC will do the poaching from the Big 12 leftovers. As soon as Kansas and maybe one other go to the Big Ten the Big 12 will only have 7 or 8 schools without the anchors of Texas and Oklahoma WVU will go running asap. Why would they stay if the money goes down, which it will. Maybe the PAC 12 adds TTU or OSU? There won't be anything left to have a Big 12. The rest will go to the AAC and bump our TV a little.

There were only 3 teams left in the Big East (all former CUSA but still) and they poached the hell out of CUSA. Just saying I think the MW played this one perfect.
07-22-2021 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

Lol...No way anyone leaves the BigXII name for the AAC. Even if the new conference is composed of a majority of AAC teams it will still be called the BIGXII
07-22-2021 08:12 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(07-22-2021 08:06 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  

There were only 3 teams left in the Big East (all former CUSA but still) and they poached the hell out of CUSA. Just saying I think the MW played this one perfect.

The credit belongs "Boise Junior College" for having the vision to take control of th MW
07-22-2021 08:13 AM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

(07-22-2021 08:12 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Lol...No way anyone leaves the BigXII name for the AAC. Even if the new conference is composed of a majority of AAC teams it will still be called the BIGXII

I get what you are saying, but the Big 12 money will plummet. The name is the only thing they will have. The other option would be 8-10 AAC schools going to the Big 12 and likely leaving Tulsa, Temple, and ECU in the cold. Navy goes back to Indy. The pay would be the same, but why would we go to Fox instead of stay with ESPN?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 08:20 AM by Poseidon.)
07-22-2021 08:17 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-22-2021 08:17 AM)Poseidon Wrote:  

I get what you are saying, but the Big 12 money will plummet. The name is the only thing they will have.

And that name will still be more valuable than anything the AAC has to offer which is why AAC schools will leave to join the Big 12 leftovers than vice versa.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 09:19 AM by HiddenDragon.)
07-22-2021 09:19 AM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
The Big XII will remain in existence even if only 1 or 2 schools remain. They have a more valuable name, longer history, better TV package, most importantly Bowl tie-ins. Yes, those bowl tie-ins will eventually expire, but until they do would you rather go to the Alamo Bowl against the PAC-12 or the Gasparilla Bowl against the Sunbelt? It's not even a question.
07-22-2021 09:22 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(07-22-2021 09:19 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 08:17 AM)Poseidon Wrote:  

I get what you are saying, but the Big 12 money will plummet. The name is the only thing they will have.

And that name will still be more valuable than anything the AAC has to offer which is why AAC schools will leave to join the Big 12 leftovers than vice versa.

Will it? The Big 12 name will be mud. Think the old Big East name in football.
07-22-2021 09:25 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I don’t think the MWC was any brighter than the AAC. The fact is that those in that conference, AAC and BYU, where all hoping for a Big12 expansion but with OU and UT still there. Everyone was waiting for their tv rights to expire and hoping to be in that 2-4 addition that would bring them 30-40 million a year and be in a conference with UT and OU.

What you now are looking at is at best joining a Big12 with 8 schools that even with additions from AAC, MWC and BYU will probably be valued at most in 10-12 million a year. You are now looking at WV and Okie State as your big draw.

That might still be better than what we get in AAC but a far cry to what most where hoping for if they won the Big12 expansion ticket.

So depending on any further leftover bailing out and if we all remember the BE 5hey will all be trying to bail because none of them will be happy losing 2/3 of their tv money and being associated with the newcomers.
07-22-2021 09:25 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

The Big East still had all the basketball schools when CUSA teams were invited.
07-22-2021 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2021 09:26 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

The Big East still had all the basketball schools when CUSA teams were invited.

Yes and it wasn’t just three football schools. UL, Rutgers were also still there.
07-22-2021 09:28 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

lol...noooo. The Big 12 will poach. Even if the final idea is a full merger of the remains of the BIg-12+AAC----you'd still do it under the Big-12 shell because there would be 250-350 million in exit fees along with a crap load of NCAA credits (plus as a bonus, by ending the AAC, the AAC teams would get to keep all their own NCAA credits). Furthermore, I'd rather start from the Big-12 deal and go down than start from the AAC deal and try to work up---not to mention, the Big-12 deal expires in a couple of years meaning we could take the whole thing to open market faster.

I dont expect a full merger. More likely, the Big-12 will cherry pick the MW and AAC to create a best of rest type conference with the remains of the Big-12 as its core.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 10:20 AM by Attackcoog.)
07-22-2021 10:17 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

Interesting read from a Baylor writer

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2021/7/21/...ars-sic-em
07-22-2021 10:20 AM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC

Let's see here...

"So if we suck, nobody will want any of our teams."

You're right. That is brilliant.
07-22-2021 10:27 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2021 10:17 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

lol...noooo. The Big 12 will poach. Even if the final idea is a full merger of the remains of the BIg-12+AAC----you'd still do it under the Big-12 shell because there would be 250-350 million in exit fees along with a crap load of NCAA credits (plus as a bonus, by ending the AAC, the AAC teams would get to keep all their own NCAA credits). Furthermore, I'd rather start from the Big-12 deal and go down than start from the AAC deal and try to work up---not to mention, the Big-12 deal expires in a couple of years meaning we could take the whole thing to open market faster.

I dont expect a full merger. More likely, the Big-12 will cherry pick the MW and AAC to create a best of rest type conference with the remains of the Big-12 as its core.

The fact that FOX Sports if involved in the BIG XII along with ESPN is what folks should think about, is it better to get $19M per team and play @ 11:00 am CT on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 with a large national audience or to get $20M per team and play @ 11:00 am CT on FOX/FS1/FS2 with a somewhat large national audience?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 10:29 AM by GoOwls111.)
07-22-2021 10:28 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2021 10:28 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

The fact that FOX Sports if involved in the BIG XII along with ESPN is what folks should think about, is it better to get $19M per team and play @ 11:00 am CT on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 with a large national audience or to get $20M per team and play @ 11:00 am CT on FOX/FS1/FS2 with a somewhat large national audience?

You really think that Fox or ESPN will pay 19-20 million for a league without UT and OU? Get ready to be disappointed. That league with the remaining 8 and 4 additions will struggle to get 10-12 million.
07-22-2021 10:32 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(07-22-2021 09:22 AM)mustangxc Wrote:  The Big XII will remain in existence even if only 1 or 2 schools remain. They have a more valuable name, longer history, better TV package, most importantly Bowl tie-ins. Yes, those bowl tie-ins will eventually expire, but until they do would you rather go to the Alamo Bowl against the PAC-12 or the Gasparilla Bowl against the Sunbelt? It's not even a question.

Neither 03-lmfao

Honestly I kinda like the Sunbelt better.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 10:36 AM by shere khan.)
07-22-2021 10:36 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2021 10:32 AM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 10:28 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

You really think that Fox or ESPN will pay 19-20 million for a league without UT and OU? Get ready to be disappointed. That league with the remaining 8 and 4 additions will struggle to get 10-12 million.

Glad you said that, it's what I was waiting for... I strongly believe that the AAC with a couple of BIG Xii added is better than than the BIG XII "bottom feeders" with top AAC additions
07-22-2021 10:38 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

This is correct.

I've said this many times: sh*t ALWAYS runs downhill in conference realignment.

Even if the Big 12 is down the 3 or 4 schools left, they still have all of the advantages that you've noted to being the poaching league just as the old Big East was down to 3 football schools and still had all of the poaching power, too.

In a weird way, the relative weakness and/or lack of fit of the other Big 12 schools with other P5 leagues for conference realignment purposes means that they're less likely to completely blow apart beyond maybe losing Kansas (which is definitely bad revenue-wise and prestige, but not actually bad from a pure football strength perspective). The Pac-12 really has no interest at all in Texas Tech/Oklahoma State while the Big Ten and ACC would only be conceivably be interested in Kansas (and even if they're interested, it's a tough sell to *only* add them).

The Big 12 can certainly backfill and they'll probably be looked at as the equivalent of the post-Miami old Big East football conference - no marquee national brand names but very good on-the-field and still better brands than a non-power conference.
07-22-2021 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.