I Root For: NIU Huskies
The Athletic on Ohio football recruiting
https://theathletic.com/2697404/2021/07/...s-absence/

Quote:Coach 1: a high school coach in Akron
Coach 2: a high school coach in Columbus
Coach 3: a high school coach in Cincinnati
Coach 4: a trainer based in Toledo
Coach 5: a high school coach in Youngstown

Quote:So Ohio State, Cincinnati and Kentucky seem to be recruiting Ohio well. Who do you think should be doing it better?

Quote:Coach 2: Bowling Green has been terrible, just because they’ve brought in some guys who aren’t from Ohio and have no idea how things work. Miami (Ohio) is the best academically, great facilities and we’ve had kids pick other MAC schools over them. Myself, I’d rather go to Miami (Ohio). Them and Toledo should be elite every year.

Coach 3: If I were at Miami University, we would own the state of Ohio and the city of Cincinnati. I think they do an unbelievably ****** job of recruiting kids, and they’re right down the road from us. I’ve got six guys who would go to Miami and end up being starters for them, and they haven’t offered any of them.

Quote:We’ve been talking a lot about Power 5 programs, but the MAC obviously has a big presence in Ohio and the Midwest. Who from the MAC is recruiting Ohio the best right now? Any MAC schools you think should be doing better?

Coach 1: Akron. I do not think they do a very good job at all. Bowling Green doesn’t do a great job, at least in Northeast Ohio. The Northwest Ohio coaches might say something different. They don’t even really come over. Ohio has really stopped coming to us, which is odd. They used to be in the building a lot. For not being too far from us, they don’t do the greatest job of coming over.

Toledo does a really good job being in state. Buffalo was good, and even with the new coach (Maurice Linguist), I would still think they’re going to be good with (offensive coordinator and Ohio native) Shane Montgomery and all of his Ohio ties. Kent State is good. Western Michigan comes through. Miami (Ohio) has been good, though they haven’t communicated a lot since COVID happened. Other schools are still talking and doing things. They usually do a visit every year.

Coach 2: I think Ohio has done the best. That’s why they’ve consistently won. Ball State does a really good job, and they’re getting good players. I think Ball State and OU have done some of the best recruiting in Columbus.

Coach 3: I think all of the MAC schools, especially the Ohio MAC schools, should do a better job of recruiting Ohio. A lot of them seem to stretch their tentacles down to Florida, and it’s always the same thing, “Coach, we gotta recruit speed.” My take is always that my 4.5 guy is as fast as their 4.5 guy. You recruit all of these kids from Florida. None of their families are able to get to the games. None of their friends. So what do you have? You have an empty stadium. Recruit Ohio guys, guess what? You’re gonna put more asses in seats. That’s only going to benefit your program. It ain’t rocket science. They’re all competing for out-of-state guys. The reality is, if you own the state of Ohio as a MAC school, you’re gonna win the MAC every year.

But I do think Kent State does a really good job. The new coach there, Sean Lewis, came in and recruited us himself. Before his other coaches started getting involved, he made a conscious effort to get out and meet the head coaches in the area. They’re doing a great job.

Coach 4: I think Toledo. I’m not sure Toledo has any competition in Ohio. Even looking at Akron and Kent State. I know some kids who would pick Youngstown State over Akron or Kent.

Coach 5: I think Toledo has done a very good job. You look at what Kent State is doing, they’re turning the corner a little bit and recruiting Ohio pretty well. Miami does a good job. Those programs stand out.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2021 06:06 AM by epasnoopy.)
07-13-2021 05:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: The Athletic on Ohio football recruiting
The Ohio MAC schools have got to do a better job recruiting in their own backyard. Miami ought to have a pipeline going from Cincinnati’s Catholic schools to Oxford.
07-13-2021 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-13-2021 01:29 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The Ohio MAC schools have got to do a better job recruiting in their own backyard. Miami ought to have a pipeline going from Cincinnati’s Catholic schools to Oxford.

Not trying to be an arse, but Miami has a tough row to hoe cracking the Cincinnati recruiting scene against UC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, UK, Louisville and some other national programs that stick their beak in (several go SEC and now Iowa State seems to be recruiting well there). Miami has been so bad for so long, and their fan interest is so poor the Redhawks get little coverage on the news around here.

As for the catholic school, the GCL kids are tough to get-- UC has done well at Lasalle; but the best ones from Elder, Moeller and St. X go to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, BC and often the service academies or the Ivies.
07-13-2021 06:59 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(07-13-2021 01:29 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The Ohio MAC schools have got to do a better job recruiting in their own backyard. Miami ought to have a pipeline going from Cincinnati’s Catholic schools to Oxford.

If a team is getting the right players for them who cares? All things being equal sure go with the Ohio kid, but it's silly to stay in-state for the sake of staying there when it's a big country full of athletes. And the competition in the Rust Belt is stiff with a lot of colleges and declining/aging populations.

To Clinton's point any kids getting serious interest from OSU or a big P5 program aren't gonna look at the MAC unless one of the programs is really special and there are extreme circumstances involved (such as Big Ben only getting offered as a TE by the Buckeyes).
07-13-2021 09:00 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Ohio has about 1/3 the FBS talent as Florida. Florida has
Fall season football and Spring practice that may include
scrimmages. Ohio ranks ninth in FBS commits to the total number of players in the State.
07-14-2021 03:07 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-14-2021 03:07 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Ohio has about 1/3 the FBS talent as Florida. Florida has Fall season football and Spring practice that may include scrimmages. Ohio ranks ninth in FBS commits to the total number of players in the State.

Yeah, some of that may reflect a bit short of 20-20 vision. Not recruiting your backyard seems like a mistake, but Ohio is not a single recruiting ground, and every Ohio MAC school focusing on recruiting in every Ohio recruiting ground doesn't sound like an automatic recipe for success.

However, that said, it's not great for Akron for the coach from Akron to skip right past 'who is recruiting Ohio the best right now?' to answer 'who should be doing better' starting with "Akron."
07-15-2021 04:44 AM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(07-13-2021 06:59 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Not trying to be an arse, but Miami has a tough row to hoe cracking the Cincinnati recruiting scene against UC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, UK, Louisville and some other national programs that stick their beak in (several go SEC and now Iowa State seems to be recruiting well there). Miami has been so bad for so long, and their fan interest is so poor the Redhawks get little coverage on the news around here.

As for the catholic school, the GCL kids are tough to get-- UC has done well at Lasalle; but the best ones from Elder, Moeller and St. X go to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, BC and often the service academies or the Ivies.

Right, but every kid on the roster isn’t going to be P5 material. The superstars are probably looking for better things than the MAC but Miami ought to have a decent shot at the supporting cast around them. Maybe you don’t get the star QB, but maybe you land his LT that the other scouts overlooked.
07-15-2021 06:57 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2021 06:57 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Right, but every kid on the roster isn’t going to be P5 material. The superstars are probably looking for better things than the MAC but Miami ought to have a decent shot at the supporting cast around them. Maybe you don’t get the star QB, but maybe you land his LT that the other scouts overlooked.

But also, Miami University has a strong Chicagoland focus in its overall out of state student body, it also ought to be recruiting those same players from Chicagoland.

But really, it might not be the big Catholic "football academies" to specialize in ... the best headroom is from the diamonds in the rough ... the players who haven't received the most elite level high school coaching but have the potential to be coached up. While Miami should have recruiting networks in Cincinnati and Columbus, it should also be stopping in Indiana on its way to and from Chicagoland.
07-18-2021 01:24 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(07-18-2021 01:24 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 06:57 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Right, but every kid on the roster isn’t going to be P5 material. The superstars are probably looking for better things than the MAC but Miami ought to have a decent shot at the supporting cast around them. Maybe you don’t get the star QB, but maybe you land his LT that the other scouts overlooked.

But also, Miami University has a strong Chicagoland focus in its overall out of state student body, it also ought to be recruiting those same players from Chicagoland.

But really, it might not be the big Catholic "football academies" to specialize in ... the best headroom is from the diamonds in the rough ... the players who haven't received the most elite level high school coaching but have the potential to be coached up. While Miami should have recruiting networks in Cincinnati and Columbus, it should also be stopping in Indiana on its way to and from Chicagoland.

That’s been UC’s MO the past 15-20 years, with a little Florida and Georgia mixed in. Locally the Bearcats do well with the 3-star kids from Colerain and Princeton, and lately Pickerington Central in Columbus and Cleveland Heights in NEO. UC still struggles to land the St. X and Moeller grads. Frankly, UC’s rise in football over the past 15 years or so has made life tough for the Ohio MAC schools who would have grabbed the type of kids UC has had pre 2005.

UC is also now grabbing the kids that would have committed to mid-tier B10 schools as well (Michigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, etc).
07-18-2021 08:00 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
There is no doubt Miami is a good school but no offense its one boring place to go to college. Its too traditional and that doesn't appeal to a lot of players. Does it appeal to a lot of parents yes, but that is a different question.

It might be the only school in the MAC that you can only access it by a 2 lane road. Central Michigan even has US 127 as a 4 lane highway. Ohio has direct 4 lane highways to Cincinnati and Columbus with a 4 lane connector to I-77 and Northeast Ohio.
07-18-2021 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-18-2021 11:02 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  There is no doubt Miami is a good school but no offense its one boring place to go to college. Its too traditional and that doesn't appeal to a lot of players. Does it appeal to a lot of parents yes, but that is a different question.

It might be the only school in the MAC that you can only access it by a 2 lane road. Central Michigan even has US 127 as a 4 lane highway. Ohio has direct 4 lane highways to Cincinnati and Columbus with a 4 lane connector to I-77 and Northeast Ohio.

All of that fairly recent political pork barrel road building still leaves Athens over 100 miles from Columbus, while Oxford is under 40 miles to Cincinnati. Expressway or not, if you are driving from Athens to Columbus in an hour, you really ought to slow down.
07-19-2021 02:30 AM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(07-19-2021 02:30 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(07-18-2021 11:02 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  There is no doubt Miami is a good school but no offense its one boring place to go to college. Its too traditional and that doesn't appeal to a lot of players. Does it appeal to a lot of parents yes, but that is a different question.

All of that fairly recent political pork barrel road building still leaves Athens over 100 miles from Columbus, while Oxford is under 40 miles to Cincinnati. Expressway or not, if you are driving from Athens to Columbus in an hour, you really ought to slow down.

Kit Kat forgets that 33 through most of Meigs county and WV is a two lane highway.......
07-19-2021 11:29 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Getting from Oxford to Cincinnati is a pain in the arse. I've made the trip many times. It may be 40 miles but it takes about an hour to get from A to Z, sometimes worse if the weather stinks.
07-19-2021 03:14 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-19-2021 03:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Getting from Oxford to Cincinnati is a pain in the arse. I've made the trip many times. It may be 40 miles but it takes about an hour to get from A to Z, sometimes worse if the weather stinks.

Try hitchhiking it in 0 degrees.
07-19-2021 08:31 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion

Miami has it's issues, but being boring isn't one of them. If it is, we still managed to win two MAC football titles in the 2010s (by far our worst decade of football ever) while OU is looking for their first since Nixon.

Very early plans for Millett Hall and Yager Stadium called for them to be on the east side of campus. Conspicuously included in the master plan map is an interstate on the far east side of Oxford, though who knows if that was even a possibility or just wishful thinking that the four-lane US 27 that starts in Colerain would be extended north. It would've drastically degraded Miami as a school and campus, save for making the trek from Cincinnati easier for sports games.
07-19-2021 08:54 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2021 11:29 AM)utpotts Wrote:  

Kit Kat forgets that 33 through most of Meigs county and WV is a two lane highway.......

But that is the only direction that its 2 lanes.

US 33 Northwest to Columbus/Central Ohio (4 lanes)
US 50 Southwest to Cincinnati/Dayton (4 lanes)
US 50 Northeast to Parkersburg/Northeast Ohio (4 lanes)

They considered upgrading 33 through Meigs county to 4 lanes but determined there wasn't the demand for it so they made it just a super 2 highway.
07-20-2021 07:38 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Athens is only 60 miles to I-270 the Columbus outer belt.

If you argue central Ohio starts northwest of Lancaster which it does then its 45 miles between Athens and Central Ohio.

Its 80 miles between the campuses of Ohio University and Ohio State on the north side of Columbus.

Its 104 miles from Athens to Delaware which is the northern edge of the central Ohio region. Bowling Green is only 95 miles from Delaware but its 116 miles from Ohio State's campus.

While Athens is remote relative to the state it compensates to an extent by having highways to connect it to the urban centers of the state.
07-20-2021 07:49 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2021 07:49 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  If you argue central Ohio starts northwest of Lancaster which it does then its 45 miles between Athens and Central Ohio. ...

You really don't want to be talking in terms of "more excitement" and then set out Newark or Granville as more exciting places to go than Athens.

Quote: While Athens is remote relative to the state it compensates to an extent by having highways to connect it to the urban centers of the state.

"Compensation" is the point. You are talking about compensations for relatively remote location as if they reverse rather than merely reduce the impact of the remote location.

(07-19-2021 03:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Getting from Oxford to Cincinnati is a pain in the arse. I've made the trip many times. It may be 40 miles but it takes about an hour to get from A to Z, sometimes worse if the weather stinks.

Still, Kit-Kat's argument that Athens is noticeably closer to Columbus in travel time is saying you are making the Athens to Columbus run in something like 45 minutes, which is around 100mph. If you are averaging 100mph, you are in jeopardy to getting your license lifted ... and arguably you should get your license lifted, as you are driving with your coffin lid open and risking taking others with you.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 03:26 AM by BruceMcF.)
07-22-2021 03:19 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Is Miami in the MAC still. Toledo has not played them in football in 11 years so I guess not.
07-22-2021 07:55 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2021 03:19 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 07:49 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  If you argue central Ohio starts northwest of Lancaster which it does then its 45 miles between Athens and Central Ohio. ...

You really don't want to be talking in terms of "more excitement" and then set out Newark or Granville as more exciting places to go than Athens.

Quote: While Athens is remote relative to the state it compensates to an extent by having highways to connect it to the urban centers of the state.

"Compensation" is the point. You are talking about compensations for relatively remote location as if they reverse rather than merely reduce the impact of the remote location.

(07-19-2021 03:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Getting from Oxford to Cincinnati is a pain in the arse. I've made the trip many times. It may be 40 miles but it takes about an hour to get from A to Z, sometimes worse if the weather stinks.

Still, Kit-Kat's argument that Athens is noticeably closer to Columbus in travel time is saying you are making the Athens to Columbus run in something like 45 minutes, which is around 100mph. If you are averaging 100mph, you are in jeopardy to getting your license lifted ... and arguably you should get your license lifted, as you are driving with your coffin lid open and risking taking others with you.

Its 60 miles to I-270 in the Columbus suburbs and 45 miles to officially hit Central Ohio from Athens. That is just a fact Bruce its not that far.

Additionally Ohio has a branch campus in Lancaster and two in the Columbus metro in Pickerington and Dublin. It has a presence in Columbus unlike any other MAC school.
07-22-2021 09:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.