Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021-22 Schedule
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
2021-22 Schedule
Figured with the update that came out last week there would be more chatter when I logged on. But looks like our tournament run is already paying dividends on upgrading our non-conference schedule. Syracuse won't be easy and likely a big loss, but a good get. Its important to start getting good schedules again. I hope we get another buy game somewhere. 2 road buy games seems like the appropriate number each season.

Link

Naturally our history is well-known here. We are 1-3 against them. With a tough tournament loss in the '95-96 season in the 2nd round. And our massive win in '06-07 that didnt quite get us back to the tournament. Last time in '10-11 we got smoked up there(Cuse was #5) and it was about a week after we upset Louisville so there was no sneaking up on them, either.

I still say to this day that that upset over Louisville cost us a chance to dance in '11-12. Because we won in a year before we knew we would be good, and we struggled to get anyone willing to play us when we needed a good schedule.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2021 08:56 AM by dan10.)
06-28-2021 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: 2021-22 Schedule
Also so that we have it all together. We are also slated to play in the Bahamas Showcase, which has not had great teams in the past. Was cancelled last year but won by Liberty the year prior. Not sure all of the teams have been announced yet. But before being cancelled it was Austin Peay, Drake, Iona, Loyola Marymount and Toledo and us
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2021 09:02 AM by dan10.)
06-28-2021 08:59 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

hopefully the syracuse game is later in the afternoon. i'm signed up for the harrisburg marathon which will take me about 4 hours. if i was smart i would go home but i'm not so if we get a 3-5 pm tip we'll drive up there. i wonder how long it will take me to get out of the car if i start a 4 hour drive immediately after a marathon.

i'd like to see us play the penn state game we didn't play last year. they're transitioning to a new coach so they could be ripe for the picking.

also would appreciate scrimmage with messiah and mount st. mary's on the schedule.
06-30-2021 12:08 PM
J.B. Offline

Details are out for the Baha Mar Hoops Event in the Bahamas. Drexel will open up against Tulane on Monday 11/22 at 2:30 and will play the winner or loser of Toledo/Charlotte the next day. Their final game will be on Wednesday 11/24. And as usual with a Drexel preseason tournament, this is a FLOHOOPS event.

https://drexeldragons.com/news/2021/7/28...D2PKeOB0Ic
07-28-2021 02:31 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

[Image: E7ZsBSJX0AAt1WN?format=jpg&name=large]

Decent crop of teams. Would be nice to have a great showing here
07-28-2021 02:48 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

flo comes through again.

it's indiana sprint week. you can catch up on all the replays if you're behind. the speedstr feature at kutztown last night was something else. my son and i will probably watch 4 or 5 races saturday morning between lincoln, port royal, all start circuit of champions, and usac.
07-29-2021 12:10 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

https://caasports.com/news/2021/7/22/men...ZCnkb8T-7k

And the CAA Men's schedule is released. It's a really strange schedule, First 4 games are on weeknights. Then the CAA has Sunday home games on 1/9, with Drexel having an off day. Then they have a Saturday/Monday weekend the following weekend which is MLK weekend. They don't get back to regular Thursday/Saturdays until 1/20.
Drexel only has 3 Saturday home games, and 6 weeknight games. For me, that's not favorable, but it might actually help with student attendance, since they're on the road over winter break and MLK weekend.
07-29-2021 03:37 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Per our Wikipedia Drexel has Temple and St Joes on the schedule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80...tball_team
08-03-2021 11:08 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

hopefully one or both of those games is moved to the palestra...and fans can still go. i haven't been back to the palestra since at least 2013.
08-04-2021 06:35 AM
J.B. Offline

(08-04-2021 06:35 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  hopefully one or both of those games is moved to the palestra...and fans can still go. i haven't been back to the palestra since at least 2013.

Assuming they're both road games, as stated on the schedule, the Palestra isn't happening. Penn charges a boatload to rent it out, so there's no reason to play there. Temple can generate more revenue playing at their arena and St. Joe's stinks now and doesn't draw crowd like they used to so there's no benefit for them to rent out the Palestra, especially when Drexel hosts SJU games now at the DAC.
08-04-2021 09:10 AM
J.B. Offline

2022 MLB Schedules were released today, and their season starts 5 months later than college basketball, where schedules have not been released yet.

I can start my 2022 summer travel plans but not my fall 2021 plans.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 02:19 PM by J.B..)
08-04-2021 02:19 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2021 02:19 PM)J.B. Wrote:  2022 MLB Schedules were released today, and their season starts 5 months later than college basketball, where schedules have not been released yet.

I can start my 2022 summer travel plans but not my fall 2021 plans.

MLB is much easier to schedule and is basically an algorithm. Colleges have to actually make agreements and build a schedule. With covid and protocols being vastly different from state to state and school to school, its a crazy mangled puzzle for teams to put together. Conference scheduling is relatively easy and that part is done.
08-04-2021 02:53 PM
J.B. Offline

The wikipedia page is updated a bit.

Dragons open up at home against Fairleigh Dickinson on Friday November 12th.

They're also set to play a road game at La Salle on Tuesday December 21st at Gola Arena. The recent Drexel/La Salle series has been quite strange with the road team winning just about every game over the past 8 years or so.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2021 03:15 PM by J.B..)
08-17-2021 07:36 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I like that we are playing good schools in the area. It would be nice to add Maryland or a VA Tech etc.
08-17-2021 09:39 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2021 09:39 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I like that we are playing good schools in the area. It would be nice to add Maryland or a VA Tech etc.

Either would be fine, but not sure there is anything gained by them. I agree we should go back to the Bruiser model of 1-2 buy games a year where we challenge ourselves on the road, collect our check (and occasionally a victory) and go home. Spiker really hasnt seemed to do much of that. While we dont compete for recruits with the 2 examples you gave, I am not sure a Maryland or Va Tech would desire to mess around with lower teams that could influence recruits elsewhere, where the Philly market is not something Maryland would wont to look bad in. With COVID stuff coming back and influencing the season, likely, local games may be more attainable than normal. I do hope we get our missed shot against PSU this season. The marylands of the world have plenty of teams knocking on their door, is mostly my point. They arent suffering to find opponents to buy to play at their place.

For me I want us playing a strong OOC schedule, dont really care if they are local teams or not. Put us in a position where if we are good enough we will position ourselves for a bid. I still believe our tournament run should warrant us some opportunities for better scheduling home and away. There have to be good mids who are willing to play us in a series.
08-17-2021 09:53 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I just threw out teams that were big time programs but weren't on the Duke, UNC, Nova, UVA level. Many big time programs like the "easy win" games to see what their bench looks like and to get ready for strong in conference schools. Syracuse was a good get but we need 1-2 other big schools to increase the Drexel profile. I am sure you can get a St Johns/Uconn/BC game scheduled if Drexel tried. I am tired of low level competition D3 fillers etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2021 10:04 AM by Dragon For Life.)
08-17-2021 10:04 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

There is never a need for a non D1 game. If we have to buy a low D1 fine, but we should never have a non D1 game on the schedule.

And we likely cant pick bottom of the barrel power teams because they are not likely to risk a loss either. You can get them in years your program is clearly down, but not coming off of a tournament appearance. Local power teams likely wont play you due to proximity and overlap in recruiting area. Remember those schools will look for reasons to say no than reasons to say yes. Getting outside of the area opens up the willingness of power teams to play you, is all I am saying. Bottom barrel power teams are not likely as they are going to schedule to win a lot of games. Not risk losing to a Drexel, who has 0 clout. Finding like-minded mid majors who would be glad to have home and homes since its a coin flip for victory and increases difficulty of both teams schedule should not be that hard to find.
08-17-2021 01:29 PM
J.B. Offline

I'm fine with playing tough OOC games if it means that these games will help them get better for CAA play.

I think that we've learned that the days of hoping for an NCAA at-large bid or even an NIT at-large bid are a thing of the past. It would pretty much take something like a 28-3 season with several wins against really good OOC teams to get an at-large and this Drexel team is not at that level and probably never will be unless another Malik Rose comes along.
08-17-2021 03:22 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

(08-17-2021 03:22 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I'm fine with playing tough OOC games if it means that these games will help them get better for CAA play.

I think that we've learned that the days of hoping for an NCAA at-large bid or even an NIT at-large bid are a thing of the past. It would pretty much take something like a 28-3 season with several wins against really good OOC teams to get an at-large and this Drexel team is not at that level and probably never will be unless another Malik Rose comes along.

I think the same thing could have been said about Gonzaga before their recent success. Outside of them and St Mary's their conference is trash. If one team has a big run like Mason/VCU our conference will skyrocket again. If Drexel upset the Illinois our history could have changed dramatically.
08-17-2021 06:57 PM
J.B. Offline

(08-17-2021 06:57 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  
(08-17-2021 03:22 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I'm fine with playing tough OOC games if it means that these games will help them get better for CAA play.

I think the same thing could have been said about Gonzaga before their recent success. Outside of them and St Mary's their conference is trash. If one team has a big run like Mason/VCU our conference will skyrocket again. If Drexel upset the Illinois our history could have changed dramatically.

While technically you're right, I just don't think that's possible for that to happen again. The gap is getting so great between the power conferences and mid-majors right now.
Gonzaga is an exception. Eventually, the Zags will need to move to a power conference. I guess right now, they've figured out how to be dominant where there are. Eventually, this string of dominance will wear off, and they'll no longer be able to keep up with getting this high level of talent in the WCC. The Pac-12 and Big-12 will keep knocking down Gonzaga's door with a sweet offer they won't be able to refuse.
08-18-2021 08:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.