Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When will Nebraska be good again?
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
When will Nebraska be good again?
When Bo was coaching I had the feeling that Nebraska was on the cusp of being a powerhouse again. Alas, they fired him and are now a shell of their former program. They are in the West and don't have to face the Big 3 in the East annually. Yet NU is not holding its own in competition. Some people blame the loss of the Texas talent pipeline, but I would argue that the big 12 didn't even form until 1994 and NU was good going back to the 60s. I wouldn't say that the old Big 12 north was less competitive that the B1G West, but perhaps that's the case. At any rate, what do you all think, how can Nebraska become a dominant force in College football again?
06-13-2021 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: When will Nebraska be good again?
I agree that the loss of Texas talent is a red herring. I didn't think they should have gotten rid of Bo either but I do think they hit their ceiling under him and their standard was above that. I respect them wanting more than just good. But it is risky to change coaches and it doesn't always work out and it clearly hasn't yet. I thought Frost was the guy to take them back to being a conference championship contender but the team doesn't seem to have bought into what he's selling or he's just not as good as public perception thought.

For Nebraska to get good (competing for and winning conference championships, finishing in the top 10, etc.), all they need is a good coach. Lucky for them, they have the money to hire and retain a good coach. Finding that guy is obviously the problem.
06-13-2021 08:25 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
Prop 48, Prop 48 and Prop 48.

They were dominant while in the Big 8, not the Big 12. Texas was not in the Big 8. They did win the 1997 title in the Big 12, but the core of that squad was from the Big 8 days.

Prop 48, Prop 48 and Prop 48. I'm not saying I am for Prop 48, I'm answering your question of why they aren't what they once were.

The link below is an article from 1996, people already knew what was coming.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/01/15/he...e-are-over
06-13-2021 12:20 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Hopefully never. Or go back to the Big 12 where they belong and they can be undefeated for all I care.
06-13-2021 12:36 PM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

Nebraska will never be what it once was, but the last time I ran the numbers, their past 5 years recruiting average would place them firmly in 3rd place if still in the Big12, not bad!

They currently have 22 ☆☆☆☆ recruits on their roster and they need long-term stability now. I still believe in Frost, it was a complete disaster when he arrived and I too believe Bo was let go way too early.
06-13-2021 12:40 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(06-13-2021 12:36 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Hopefully never. Or go back to the Big 12 where they belong and they can be undefeated for all I care.

Michigan and Penn State's daddy, (Ohio State), really likes Nebraska. They aren't going anywhere so I guess I can continue to enjoy your hate.
04-cheers
06-13-2021 12:45 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I hope the Huskers recover soon. The Big Ten needs to see The trio of Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin to be performing at a level equal to their eastern counterparts Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St (special mention goes out to Mich St, who has performed very consistently in recent years).
06-13-2021 04:09 PM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

(06-13-2021 04:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I hope the Huskers recover soon. The Big Ten needs to see The trio of Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin to be performing at a level equal to their eastern counterparts Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St (special mention goes out to Mich St, who has performed very consistently in recent years).

Hell, the west carries this conference during Bowl season.

Bowl records during CFP era
West: 19-11
East: 13-18
This is why I hate grouping conferences and/or divisions.
06-13-2021 07:00 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(06-13-2021 04:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I hope the Huskers recover soon. The Big Ten needs to see The trio of Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin to be performing at a level equal to their eastern counterparts Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St (special mention goes out to Mich St, who has performed very consistently in recent years).

(06-13-2021 07:00 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

I don't consider Wisconsin to be a "Western" team even though they are obviously in the West division (same with my Illini of course). In my mind, "West" is reserved for West of the Mississippi. Wisconsin is one of the "good guys" ​to me:)

And when it comes to Nebraska, it's personal (PSU vs. Nebraska, 1994 national championship). There's also some bad blood between Illinois and Iowa (Bruce Pearl).
06-14-2021 05:36 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(06-14-2021 05:36 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

I don't consider Wisconsin to be a "Western" team even though they are obviously in the West division (same with my Illini of course). In my mind, "West" is reserved for West of the Mississippi. Wisconsin is one of the "good guys" ​to me:)

And when it comes to Nebraska, it's personal (PSU vs. Nebraska, 1994 national championship). There's also some bad blood between Illinois and Iowa (Bruce Pearl).

It's cool! I'm not trying to be an a$$ with you personally. I just have a hard time dealing with people that "hate" an entire region of this country. I get your hate for Nebraska and where it comes from, I truly do, but to want them out of the conference?

I find it completely hilarious at all the threads about Nebraska. Some people need to do their research on that school and how loyal the state and its people are to them. Look at attendance numbers for Football, Baseball, Basketball and womens Volleyball, then get back to me on how elite your program is to theirs. Attendance (Gate) really matters in this day and age, Nebraska has it covered!

Nebraska is only a declining program with the boneheads who refuse to see the entire picture.

I Hate, with a capital H, Penn State, Michigan and Minnesota, but I don't wish for them to be removed, well maybe Minnesota. That's what makes it enjoyable! The Big Ten East is the enemy to me, I hope Ohio State defeats all teams in the east and I don't like any of your football teams, but I'm happy to have fun conversations with you all.
06-14-2021 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State

This is a crap argument. The better the team does, the tougher the competition in bowl/playoff. Big difference playing Alabama vs a Mac team in the Detroit Oil Change bowl.
06-18-2021 09:51 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
Its going to be hard for Nebraska to regain what they had being the team farthest west in the conference. For Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin to be viable contenders every once in a while they need more exposure in the states with recruits. All 3 of these teams would be helped by a single division standings where 3-4 teams are locked in as annual rivals and some type of rotation through the remaining teams.

Prop 48 seemed to help Nebraska but that isn't coming back so might as well discuss things that are relevant today.
06-30-2021 02:08 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(06-18-2021 09:51 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  

This is a crap argument. The better the team does, the tougher the competition in bowl/playoff. Big difference playing Alabama vs a Mac team in the Detroit Oil Change bowl.

No, it's not a crap argument. You see, when you start grouping schools together, like the post I was responding to, trying to say the west needs to catch up to the east, it's a very legitimate argument. The west is doing just fine, Michigan and Penn State, last I checked are in the east, are not! One damn school does not make an entire division better than the other. Get over yourself!
06-30-2021 03:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.