Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ragin Cajuns
Bookmark and Share
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Ragin Cajuns
Hey Louisiana fans -

So in a completely unexpected turn of circumstances, I just bought a house in Lafayette and will be moving with my wife and 2 kids from North Carolina to Louisiana in September. I don’t know much of anything about Lafayette and what there is to do. I’ve been there twice to visit my in-laws... but we mostly hung out around the house and went to the Tabasco HQ.

I’ve lived in N.C. for 30 years (I’m 37) and don’t quite know what lies ahead. Hopefully some good food and maybe I’ll catch a few Cajun games over the next few years.

04-cheers
05-31-2021 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
RE: Ragin Cajuns
(05-31-2021 07:13 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Hey Louisiana fans -

So in a completely unexpected turn of circumstances, I just bought a house in Lafayette and will be moving with my wife and 2 kids from North Carolina to Louisiana in September. I don’t know much of anything about Lafayette and what there is to do. I’ve been there twice to visit my in-laws... but we mostly hung out around the house and went to the Tabasco HQ.

I’ve lived in N.C. for 30 years (I’m 37) and don’t quite know what lies ahead. Hopefully some good food and maybe I’ll catch a few Cajun games over the next few years.

04-cheers

Congratulations on your new home in Cajun land. You will enjoy living living in Lafayette. I lived in Broussard for many years then moved away for about 10.5 years with my job. I recently retired and moved to back to the area in Opelousas.
05-31-2021 07:38 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Eat, that’s what you do the first month in Lafayette. After gaining 20-30 pounds, you’ll may learn to control it.

Good luck!!!
05-31-2021 07:47 PM
Duggie35 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
Welcome to Lafayette, LA! I think you will be very happy living here. Louisiana has it's issues but Lafayette, and the area around Lafayette, is the place to be if you are moving here. You will find that there is quite a bit to do here, for a city this size. We have food, food, and food to go along with numerous festivals and night life. Now that COVID is behind us, I'm sure the The Cajundome and Heyman Performing Arts Center will again start bring in concerts, Broadway plays, etc. If you enjoy outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing, it is plentiful. Although you are apparently an ECU fan, I think you will enjoy the Cajun experience if you choose to try it. However, beware of the LSU influences and avoid that temptation at all costs! LOL!!!

In summary, there are not many people that come here and don't like it. Hopefully, you will feel the same after making the adjustment!
06-01-2021 10:49 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Did you get a new job in the area?
06-01-2021 11:24 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2021 11:24 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Did you get a new job in the area?

No, I actually work remotely for a NJ-based company, and I live in Asheville NC. My in-laws live in Lafayette (mother in-law works for the university). So, I'll continue working from home in Lafayette.

We have been considering the idea of moving closer to family for about a year now, but I never really thought it would happen. My wife really wants to be closer to her mom, as it is currently a 12 hour drive. We are renting right now, and the mortgage payment is going to be like $600 less than our current rent, and the house is MUCH nicer than the one we live in now. A perfect house came on the market, and within 48 hours we made an offer that was accepted. Whirlwind process.

We plan on at least living there for 2-3 years while we save money for a homestead with a lot of acreage. If we love it, the acreage might end up being in Louisiana! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021 11:43 AM by ECUGrad07.)
06-01-2021 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana

04-cheers
Its a good family friendly town festivals are kicking back up in the fall which is much needed.

https://developinglafayette.com/wp/phase...fall-2021/ Moncus park is set to open up this fall which I think everyone is town is excited.

also if you are into Heath and Fitness Red Lerille's Health & Racquet Club probably one of the largest and nicest clubs in the south
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021 02:03 PM by Cajun_lannister.)
06-01-2021 01:59 PM
CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
'also if you are into Heath and Fitness Red Lerille's Health & Racquet Club probably one of the largest and nicest clubs in the south"

And if not, I can give you the names of some great boudin stores.03-drunk
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021 02:09 PM by CW Fishman.)
06-01-2021 02:08 PM
Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

(06-01-2021 02:08 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  'also if you are into Heath and Fitness Red Lerille's Health & Racquet Club probably one of the largest and nicest clubs in the south"

And if not, I can give you the name of some boudin store.03-drunk

I cant tell you how many times I left Reds to go straight to the bar to pound beer or tailgate ..Life is about balance
06-01-2021 02:09 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2021 01:59 PM)Cajun_lannister Wrote:  

04-cheers
Its a good family friendly town festivals are kicking back up in the fall which is much needed.

https://developinglafayette.com/wp/phase...fall-2021/ Moncus park is set to open up this fall which I think everyone is town is excited.

also if you are into Heath and Fitness Red Lerille's Health & Racquet Club probably one of the largest and nicest clubs in the south

Moncus Park looks AWESOME. My kids will love that.
06-01-2021 03:24 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

Welcome to Lafayette! Easily one of the hidden gems of the south. I don’t even know where to start but the woman are beautiful and the food is better. The activities are plentiful and the culture is second to nobody...you’re gonna love it!
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021 09:59 PM by Big Buds.)
06-01-2021 09:58 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I was there for Lundi Gras last year, right before everything shut down. It was a lot of fun and family friendly.
06-02-2021 09:21 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
All this talk about food makes me wanna take a trip to Lafayette.
06-02-2021 09:37 AM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
My family in Crowley refers to Lafayette as "the Big City."

The whole area is great. I love it when we visit. You are going to have a blast.
06-02-2021 12:00 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
man this is going to be a culture shock.
06-02-2021 12:19 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2021 12:19 PM)ballantyneapp Wrote:  man this is going to be a culture shock.

I've basically lived my entire life in Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Greenville (NC), and Asheville, with a few years in Blacksburg, VA. I'm expecting it to be quite different, but I'm hoping for the best!
06-02-2021 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
The guy is moving to his in-laws home town and y’all are suggesting food and entertainment places.
Give the man what he needs. A list of bars.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2021 11:14 PM by Fanof49ASU.)
06-02-2021 11:12 PM
Duggie35 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
(06-02-2021 11:12 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The guy is moving to his in-laws home town and y’all are suggesting food and entertainment places.

Bars are also plentiful in the area, so that's not a problem either. If he doesn't want to frequent a bar, he can try one of the drive thru daiquiri shops! LOL!!!
06-03-2021 07:55 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2021 07:55 AM)Duggie35 Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 11:12 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The guy is moving to his in-laws home town and y’all are suggesting food and entertainment places.

Bars are also plentiful in the area, so that's not a problem either. If he doesn't want to frequent a bar, he can try one of the drive thru daiquiri shops! LOL!!!

03-lmfao

I have been to one drive-thru daiquiri shop in Lafayette when I first visited... I was blown away by the concept. I asked my father in-law how they get away with having essentially an open container in the car, and he said "as long as you don't put the straw in the cup, you're ok." What a place.
06-03-2021 09:30 AM
Big Buds Offline
All American

(06-03-2021 09:30 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 07:55 AM)Duggie35 Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I have been to one drive-thru daiquiri shop in Lafayette when I first visited... I was blown away by the concept. I asked my father in-law how they get away with having essentially an open container in the car, and he said "as long as you don't put the straw in the cup, you're ok." What a place.
Technically if the straw has a portion of the paper wrapping covering the tip the straw can legally be used inserted...lol
06-03-2021 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.