Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Something may be up at USF.
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
Something may be up at USF.
Story on USF Wetlands North of the Tampa campus.

There is room for an OCS as well as Housing, Restaurants, Shopping Center and a Tech Hub on this site.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2021 09:44 AM by BCSvsBS.)
05-29-2021 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

RE: Something may be up at USF.
(05-29-2021 09:42 AM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  Story on USF Wetlands North of the Tampa campus.

There is room for an OCS as well as Housing, Restaurants, Shopping Center and a Tech Hub on this site.

I highly doubt we would put stadium there. The spot for whenever we build an OCS is just south of the SunDome where the ban currently practices.
05-29-2021 09:46 AM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

(05-29-2021 09:46 AM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(05-29-2021 09:42 AM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  Story on USF Wetlands North of the Tampa campus.

I highly doubt we would put stadium there. The spot for whenever we build an OCS is just south of the SunDome where the ban currently practices.

It would all depend on who is funding what. I believe any OCS would be best served centrally placed but, you put any and all things where the funds let you place them. 04-cheers
05-29-2021 09:47 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2021 09:47 AM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  

It would all depend on who is funding what. I believe any OCS would be best served centrally placed but, you put any and all things where the funds let you place them. 04-cheers

True, but if you read that article you can see that developing that land would need to jump many environmental hurdles that would make it very difficult. I’ll wait and see but other than the golf course land doubt much happens
05-29-2021 09:50 AM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

(05-29-2021 09:50 AM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(05-29-2021 09:47 AM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  

True, but if you read that article you can see that developing that land would need to jump many environmental hurdles that would make it very difficult. I’ll wait and see but other than the golf course land doubt much happens

I was just posting the article. I will remind you that all of the land west of Starkey and North of 128th St, South of Ulmerton Rd. and east of Seminole Blvd. was Wetlands just 12-15 years ago. They stated it would never be developed and passed a law to preserve it. Two years later, they sold the land. That land is all developed now.

Never say Never when, Money can be made.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2021 09:59 AM by BCSvsBS.)
05-29-2021 09:57 AM
Advertisement

HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
City schools have been denigrated for their entire history. Schools in large cities are going to dwarf others in majors, research, patents, resources, alumni, enrollment, rankings, and money. USF is a prime example.
05-29-2021 01:29 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I suspect that for most any athletic department a new stadium build on the heels of the Covid budget debacle is a non-starter.
05-29-2021 02:43 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

This is almost certainly DOA. First, students and faculty are already lining up to protest it:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regio...t-preserve

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/environmen...t-preserve

https://www.change.org/p/university-of-s...e-preserve

Even Hillsborough County Commissioners are pushing back on it:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsborou...-usf-land/

For anybody who doesn't know, USF has more than 700 acres of completely untouched (with the exception of our golf course) wetlands - essentially more than the size of the entire campus - that runs along a major artery (Fletcher Avenue) for several miles from almost the middle of our campus all the way to the Hillsborough River:

[Image: ABNNBXUFGZEXTGU5P4DUXPX5ZE.png]

USF has held that land as an area where biology and geoscience faculty and students can conduct research and fought every attempt at using any of it. Way back in the 70's and 80's, Hillsborough County tried to extend a major north-south street (56th Street) to Bruce B. Downs Blvd. and the university refused, effectively screwing up traffic in north Tampa forever - it's impossible to get to anywhere north of Fletcher from 46th Street (the golf course) all the way to Interstate 75.

If the university could repurpose the golf course (there are 81 golf courses within 20 miles of campus) and use about a 250 foot deep swath of Fletcher Ave. fronting land from 46th Street to the Hillsborough River (about 2 miles - about 60 acres of land), they could probably fund anything they wanted and still retain > 600 acres of wetlands, but...

[Image: tenor.gif]

So I wouldn't get your hopes up - some combination of tree huggers and NIMBYs are going to kill anything here. And it's not like Currall's on awesome footing with some of his moves (like killing and unkilling the College of Education, the budget cuts that he refuses to restore and the utter disaster that has been consolidation), so I don't have much confidence in the administration doing what needs to be done here.

USFFan
05-29-2021 03:12 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2021 03:12 PM)usffan Wrote:  This is almost certainly DOA. First, students and faculty are already lining up to protest it:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regio...t-preserve

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/environmen...t-preserve

https://www.change.org/p/university-of-s...e-preserve

Even Hillsborough County Commissioners are pushing back on it:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsborou...-usf-land/

For anybody who doesn't know, USF has more than 700 acres of completely untouched (with the exception of our golf course) wetlands - essentially more than the size of the entire campus - that runs along a major artery (Fletcher Avenue) for several miles from almost the middle of our campus all the way to the Hillsborough River:

[Image: ABNNBXUFGZEXTGU5P4DUXPX5ZE.png]

USF has held that land as an area where biology and geoscience faculty and students can conduct research and fought every attempt at using any of it. Way back in the 70's and 80's, Hillsborough County tried to extend a major north-south street (56th Street) to Bruce B. Downs Blvd. and the university refused, effectively screwing up traffic in north Tampa forever - it's impossible to get to anywhere north of Fletcher from 46th Street (the golf course) all the way to Interstate 75.

If the university could repurpose the golf course (there are 81 golf courses within 20 miles of campus) and use about a 250 foot deep swath of Fletcher Ave. fronting land from 46th Street to the Hillsborough River (about 2 miles - about 60 acres of land), they could probably fund anything they wanted and still retain > 600 acres of wetlands, but...

[Image: tenor.gif]

So I wouldn't get your hopes up - some combination of tree huggers and NIMBYs are going to kill anything here. And it's not like Currall's on awesome footing with some of his moves (like killing and unkilling the College of Education, the budget cuts that he refuses to restore and the utter disaster that has been consolidation), so I don't have much confidence in the administration doing what needs to be done here.

USFFan

I agree with you that the golf course could and probably will be sold. But the rest of the land is a no go.
05-29-2021 04:07 PM
Advertisement

BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I will just say these two things.

1, This is a new administration.
2, Never say never where money is involved.

(Drops the mic)
05-29-2021 06:02 PM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
This would undoubtedly be done in phases.

Money from a "Tech Hub " can make athletic money look like pocket change you put on a shelf and don't bother to retrieve when going out.

I say nothing will stop it. That is the future of the university.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2021 06:52 PM by HoustonRocks.)
05-29-2021 06:50 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
you all don't want to build a stadium on top of a "indigenous burial site" anyway. your program might just stay in the muck if you did.
05-29-2021 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

(05-29-2021 06:50 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  This would undoubtedly be done in phases.

Money from a "Tech Hub " can make athletic money look like pocket change you put on a shelf and don't bother to retrieve when going out.

I say nothing will stop it. That is the future of the university.

^^ This is my guess as well. USF has been fighting to be among the big boys and this is a way to do just that.
05-29-2021 07:03 PM
Advertisement

fade2blac Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF

A shopping center? There is a failed shopping mall already immediately to the west of campus. Leave the wetland alone. If they want to develop something, actually do something (aside from endless studies) with the University Mall site. There is so much wasted potential around campus already, there is no need to destroy the wetlands for some crappy development.
05-29-2021 08:54 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I thought USF was going to put some sort of stadium on the MOSI site... What happened to all that?
05-29-2021 09:17 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2021 09:17 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I thought USF was going to put some sort of stadium on the MOSI site... What happened to all that?

That land is owned by Hillsborough County they currently have postponed plans for redevelopment due to COVID financial drawbacks. I don’t see USF paying to buy that land for a stadium when they already own enough land on campus to build a stadium.
I just think that after the financials strain from the pandemic, I just don’t see money flowing to build a stadium in the next 5 years unless there is a major change such as a Big12 invite that is tied to building such a stadium.
05-30-2021 09:01 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS

This is what you say when you have nothing to argue about It includes federally protected wetlands, indigenous burial sites and endangered species."

Same type of rhetoric used to block Temple OCS, look for $$ in someone's pockets to move forward.
05-30-2021 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Oh.

I thought this was an announcement that they were dropping down to DII.
05-30-2021 09:35 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2021 09:26 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

This is what you say when you have nothing to argue about It includes federally protected wetlands, indigenous burial sites and endangered species."

Same type of rhetoric used to block Temple OCS, look for $$ in someone's pockets to move forward.
But I don’t think this will block a future OCS at USF. The OCS was mentioned by one of the possible bidders I’m sure as a way to try to get support.
USF has other areas on campus already looked at in studies as possible OCS sites that wouldn’t have to go thru this process.
At the end of the day I think as stated before USF sells the golf club land and the rest remains as a wetlands refuge.
05-30-2021 09:49 AM
BullTime Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-29-2021 09:17 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I thought USF was going to put some sort of stadium on the MOSI site... What happened to all that?

The MOSI site has been discussed multiple times as fan conjecture but USF officials have never seriously considered it since they have room for an OCS on the main campus and several possible campus locations have been evaluated. USF just has to get the funds to move forward. I'll probably be 6' under before that happens.
05-30-2021 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.