Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If ESPN is willling to pay the ACC more for some scheduling innovation, but this
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
If ESPN is willling to pay the ACC more for some scheduling innovation, but this
requires that your school extend the GoR past 2037 (say 2045), would you want your school to commit to being in the ACC for 8 more years to get the increase money? How much of an Increase would it take?
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021 04:50 AM by ChrisLords.)
05-19-2021 04:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: If ESPN is willling to pay the ACC more for some scheduling innovation, but this
(05-19-2021 04:49 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  requires that your school extend the GoR past 2037 (say 2045), would you want your school to commit to being in the ACC for 8 more years to get the increase money? How much of an Increase would it take?

$20 million per year.
05-19-2021 05:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: If ESPN is willling to pay the ACC more for some scheduling innovation, but this
(05-19-2021 04:49 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  requires that your school extend the GoR past 2037 (say 2045), would you want your school to commit to being in the ACC for 8 more years to get the increase money? How much of an Increase would it take?

If it were up to me, it would have to be a deal that would keep the ACC within 15% to 20% of the SEC and BIG during the entire 8 year extension.
05-19-2021 07:20 AM
random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown

I think VT is probably committed to staying in the ACC. But maybe some other schools do not like an idea of extending the GOR.

How much do you think the ESPN is willing to pay more for the scheduling improvement without requiring the GOR extension? $5 million?
05-19-2021 08:48 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(05-19-2021 07:20 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

If it were up to me, it would have to be a deal that would keep the ACC within 15% to 20% of the SEC and BIG during the entire 8 year extension.

[Image: tumblr_oazbvej5qf1vbe7guo1_400.png]
05-19-2021 09:22 AM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(05-19-2021 08:48 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  

I think VT is probably committed to staying in the ACC. But maybe some other schools do not like an idea of extending the GOR.

How much do you think the ESPN is willing to pay more for the scheduling improvement without requiring the GOR extension? $5 million?
There's only two schools that I can think of that would not be in favor of extending the GOR: Clemson & Florida State. I think cuseroc's idea might win them over, but in truth, you never know.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
05-19-2021 09:37 AM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(05-19-2021 09:37 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

There's only two schools that I can think of that would not be in favor of extending the GOR: Clemson & Florida State. I think cuseroc's idea might win them over, but in truth, you never know.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

That all depends on what other options exist.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021 05:44 PM by Statefan.)
05-19-2021 05:37 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
FSU would sign a GOR extension for 100 years if you offered them a set of beads.

But should FSU ever resign a GOR with ESPN/ACC? No, it's suicide.
05-20-2021 08:27 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Sounds good in theory, but who can possibly know how much the SEC and B1G's future media deals will produce. The contract would have to stipulate that the ACC's revenues would increase every time theirs do, and by the same dollar amount, not the same relative percentage difference. Since the Big Dogs are already in front, only a proportional increase for the ACC would mean they get further behind in actual dollars. Over that long a period, that adds up to a lot of dollars.
05-20-2021 09:03 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2021 09:03 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Sounds good in theory, but who can possibly know how much the SEC and B1G's future media deals will produce. The contract would have to stipulate that the ACC's revenues would increase every time theirs do, and by the same dollar amount, not the same relative percentage difference. Since the Big Dogs are already in front, only a proportional increase for the ACC would mean they get further behind in actual dollars. Over that long a period, that adds up to a lot of dollars.

I do think any future contract with ESPN must be tied to the top highest-paid conference in some way, be that "at least 80% of the highest-paid conference" under contract with ESPN or whatever. No, it won't catch the ACC all the way up, but it would addresses the real issue - not how much the ACC is paid (which is very good when taken out of context), but how much more the SEC is getting.
05-20-2021 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(05-20-2021 10:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-20-2021 09:03 AM)ken d Wrote:  

I do think any future contract with ESPN must be tied to the top highest-paid conference in some way, be that "at least 80% of the highest-paid conference" under contract with ESPN or whatever. No, it won't catch the ACC all the way up, but it would addresses the real issue - not how much the ACC is paid (which is very good when taken out of context), but how much more the SEC is getting.

I agree and this is how I would respond to Kens question.
05-20-2021 11:15 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
It’s beyond my comprehension why this conference hasn’t maximized both the basketball and football schedules. It’s like they’re still pretending Louisville is Maryland, and Syracuse and Pitt fit like a glove!

Notre Dame vs Louisville should be twice a year in hoops and should be pimped as both of their main in-conference rivalry game.

Louisville vs Virginia Tech dwarfs Louisville vs UVA in football. C’mon! Adjust the divisions to make this happen yearly.

Create a true zipper. Virginia Tech for BC or Syracuse.

Obviously my favorite choice is getting rid of divisions and creating interesting yearly match-ups.
05-21-2021 10:33 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-21-2021 10:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  It’s beyond my comprehension why this conference hasn’t maximized both the basketball and football schedules. It’s like they’re still pretending Louisville is Maryland, and Syracuse and Pitt fit like a glove!

Notre Dame vs Louisville should be twice a year in hoops and should be pimped as both of their main in-conference rivalry game.

Louisville vs Virginia Tech dwarfs Louisville vs UVA in football. C’mon! Adjust the divisions to make this happen yearly.

Obviously my favorite choice is getting rid of divisions and creating interesting yearly match-ups.

TRUE ZIPPER, with East-West geographic divisions for good measure:
WEST - EAST
Pitt - BC
UL - Syr
VT - VA
WF - UNC
Clem - NCS
GT - Duke
FSU - Miami
05-22-2021 12:23 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
no brainer to at least flip one of the virginias for cuse or bc. Atlantic has no dmv with both new england makes no sense.
05-22-2021 05:31 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2021 12:23 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 10:33 PM)esayem Wrote:  It’s beyond my comprehension why this conference hasn’t maximized both the basketball and football schedules. It’s like they’re still pretending Louisville is Maryland, and Syracuse and Pitt fit like a glove!

TRUE ZIPPER, with East-West geographic divisions for good measure:
WEST - EAST
Pitt - BC
UL - Syr
VT - VA
WF - UNC
Clem - NCS
GT - Duke
FSU - Miami

You put all the best football schools of this Millennium in the West except Miami (And BC has a couple of division titles).

I guess creating one Super division is a way to compete with the SEC.
05-22-2021 07:51 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I was thinking more along the lines of:

BC - SU
UL - Pitt
VT - UVA
WF - Duke
NCSU - UNC
CU - GT
FSU - Miami
05-22-2021 08:06 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

Without extending the GOR? Probably $2-$3 million per school per year for improved scheduling. $3 Million more per school per year if ND has to come on board full time.

That's about it without extending the GOR. I think if we go from 8 conference games to 9 or 10; or if we guarantee 10 P5 games per school per year, ESPN is going to want to extend the GOR as long as they can push it out (probably 6 to 9 years). I see most of the new income coming from the extended contract.

As Hokie Mark has explained in his blog, every time we signed an extension with ESPN the value of the contract was the the current market value. As the current market value keeps increasing (and should continue to keep increasing with new bidders in the market), it would be better to wait until closer to the end of the contract to sell of those additional years as the value will be higher if we wait longer.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2021 08:23 AM by ChrisLords.)
05-22-2021 08:15 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Extension of the GoR requires something more than an increased cash promise. It requires a promise to have COMPETITIVE payouts.
05-22-2021 09:55 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2021 09:55 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Extension of the GoR requires something more than an increased cash promise. It requires a promise to have COMPETITIVE payouts.

That means ESPN would need to tear up the existing contract and reset it all to current market value. While I'm sure they don't want to do that, there might be circumstances in which they'd agree to do it (e.g. when the Big XII was in danger of breaking up). So the threat of being poached by the Big Ten is probably the only thing that would do it, IMO.
05-22-2021 10:23 AM
random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(05-22-2021 08:06 AM)esayem Wrote:  I was thinking more along the lines of:

BC - SU
UL - Pitt
VT - UVA
WF - Duke
NCSU - UNC
CU - GT
FSU - Miami

It looks like the left division is more football focused and the right division is better academically respected. Is that the idea?
05-22-2021 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.