Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baseball: @ NC State
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
It's another non-conference tune-up in the midweek, this time in Raleigh. The Hawks look to keep the momentum going entering a CAA series and 1st place showdown against Charleston.

https://uncwsports.com/news/2021/5/11/ba...state.aspx

Baseball Preview: at NC State

RALEIGH, N.C. – UNCW rounds out its home-and-home series with NC State this evening at Doak Field with a 6 p.m. start.

The Seahawks are on a five-game winning streak following their weekend sweep of James Madison and carry a 26-16 record into tonight's road game. The Wolfpack (22-14), meanwhile, returns to action for the first time since topping Wake Forest, 15-8, on May 2.

The Wolfpack won the first game between the two programs, 5-3, at Brooks Field back in late March.

Tuesday's game will be aired on the ACC Network. Mike Vaccaro, the Voice of the Seahawks, will have the visiting team call locally in Wilmington and WMFD and online at ESPNWilmington.com.

UNCW returns to Brooks Field this weekend as it closes out its home schedule with a Colonial Athletic Association showdown with first-place College of Charleston. The series opens Friday at 6 p.m.
05-11-2021 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

RE: Baseball: @ NC State
We came up small against a lefty again. Hawks need to regroup and come out fired up.
05-11-2021 08:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Gotta shake this one off, as this weekend will, fairly obviously, be the biggest series of the year. The South Division is on the line. Time to take down the Cougars.
05-12-2021 07:06 AM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(05-12-2021 07:06 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Gotta shake this one off, as this weekend will, fairly obviously, be the biggest series of the year. The South Division is on the line. Time to take down the Cougars.

Yep, there isn't an at-large bid in our future. Conference tournament win is our only shot at the NCAA tournament. Have to get in, and then get the best possible seeding so we can take use our home field advantage.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021 08:10 AM by 82hawk.)
05-12-2021 07:48 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

The good thing about this game is we were able to pitch some guys that have not been on the mound in quite a while. They needed the work.
05-12-2021 08:05 AM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(05-12-2021 07:48 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(05-12-2021 07:06 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Gotta shake this one off, as this weekend will, fairly obviously, be the biggest series of the year. The South Division is on the line. Time to take down the Cougars.

Yep, there isn't an at-large bid in our future. Conference tournament win is our only shot at the NCAA tournament. Have to get in, and then get the best possible seeding so we can take use our home field advantage.

We are clearly not getting an at-large bid this year. With that in mind, our conference play hasn't been stellar either. We're doing just enough to stay in contention so far. So, I'm assuming that IF we win the CAA... a lower seed in a regional seems likely.
05-12-2021 09:11 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2021 09:11 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  

We are clearly not getting an at-large bid this year. With that in mind, our conference play hasn't been stellar either. We're doing just enough to stay in contention so far. So, I'm assuming that IF we win the CAA... a lower seed in a regional seems likely.
Yep. Honestly best thing for the conference would be for someone else to win, and NU get a at large. But that's no guarantee either
05-12-2021 09:18 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2021 09:18 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Yep. Honestly best thing for the conference would be for someone else to win, and NU get a at large. But that's no guarantee either

I hope we do our part to get Northeastern an at large opportunity
05-12-2021 11:20 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW

I think Hood pinpointed the key to our less than stellar conference play and found a third shut down starter in Smith. Too bad the change wasn't made sooner, but better late then never. We've gone 5-1 in conference since then. We'll see what happens against CofC to close out conference play(unless we end up swapping Charlotte for JMU).

Even if we make the NCAA's, we haven't exactly played well against top level competition this year with the exception of one W against EZU.
05-12-2021 05:06 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2021 05:06 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

I think Hood pinpointed the key to our less than stellar conference play and found a third shut down starter in Smith. Too bad the change wasn't made sooner, but better late then never. We've gone 5-1 in conference since then. We'll see what happens against CofC to close out conference play(unless we end up swapping Charlotte for JMU).

Even if we make the NCAA's, we haven't exactly played well against top level competition this year with the exception of one W against EZU.

They have actually gone 6 -3 since moving Smith to a starter. His first series as a starter was the @ Elon series which we lost 2 of 3.
Point still taken though, it was a solid move. While that’s helped the big difference has been on the plate approach. Small ball and timely hitting has been huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-12-2021 06:11 PM
Hall of Famer

I agree with a lot of what's being noted here. Coach Hood's adjustments have been very solid, and the fact that Smith has been going deeper and deeper into games with each successive start is impressive. It's not easy at all to go from throwing 20-30 pitch outings out of the pen to being a guy capable of throwing 90-100 pitches.

I wouldn't count on an at-large bid for the CAA even if NU loses in the final, only because of the unpredictability of the committee's approach to at-large bids in general, plus any other potential weird circumstances that could come about due to COVID. Either way, win and get in is of course the focus. That's all we and NU can try to do.
05-13-2021 08:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.