Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "Coach who never punts" is joining D1 football
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
The "Coach who never punts" is joining D1 football
Kevin Kelley, the controversial Arkansas High school Coach who doesn't punt, goes for 2 after every Touchdown, and tries an onside kick on every kickoff has been named the head coach at Presbyterian College
05-06-2021 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: The "Coach who never punts" is joining D1 football
(05-06-2021 07:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Kevin Kelley, the controversial Arkansas High school Coach who doesn't punt, goes for 2 after every Touchdown, and tries an onside kick on every kickoff has been named the head coach at Presbyterian College

I will definitely be watching a Presbyterian game this fall. That will be exciting football.
05-06-2021 08:59 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Betcha anything he'll punt at Presbyterian. His offense won't have a high enough success rate to not.
05-07-2021 06:48 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
During the latest interview he said he wouldn't be bringing the full "No Punt" scheme to Presby.
05-07-2021 07:21 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
It's hard to believe that anyone could believe that trying an on-side kick on every kickoff would be effective. There's no way that the success rate for recovering on-side kicks could justify giving up that kind of field position. Maybe his D was so good he could get away with it.

It will be interesting to see what he actually does at Presbyterian
05-07-2021 07:35 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2021 07:35 AM)Yosef84 Wrote:  It's hard to believe that anyone could believe that trying an on-side kick on every kickoff would be effective. There's no way that the success rate for recovering on-side kicks could justify giving up that kind of field position. Maybe his D was so good he could get away with it.

High School is a different level of athlete. Younger. Less direct training. etc. His no punt and on-side kicks really worked in Arkansas HS ball. I think he was fairly dominant too.
05-07-2021 07:55 AM
Advertisement

Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2021 07:55 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(05-07-2021 07:35 AM)Yosef84 Wrote:  It's hard to believe that anyone could believe that trying an on-side kick on every kickoff would be effective. There's no way that the success rate for recovering on-side kicks could justify giving up that kind of field position. Maybe his D was so good he could get away with it.

High School is a different level of athlete. Younger. Less direct training. etc. His no punt and on-side kicks really worked in Arkansas HS ball. I think he was fairly dominant too.

I'm sure that it is easier to get a huge separation (talent wise) in high school vs. college sports. A dominant program can get away with a lot. Like I said, it will be interesting to see what he actually does at Presbyterian. He certainly won't have a talent advantage.
05-07-2021 08:17 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2021 08:17 AM)Yosef84 Wrote:  

I'm sure that it is easier to get a huge separation (talent wise) in high school vs. college sports. A dominant program can get away with a lot. Like I said, it will be interesting to see what he actually does at Presbyterian. He certainly won't have a talent advantage.

Exactly, especially at the non-scholly level that Presby is. That's why he said he isn't likely to utilize the 100% no punt offense. I'm sure it'll be still interesting to watch to see how he works his offense.
05-07-2021 10:27 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2021 10:27 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Exactly, especially at the non-scholly level that Presby is. That's why he said he isn't likely to utilize the 100% no punt offense. I'm sure it'll be still interesting to watch to see how he works his offense.

Presby is in the Big South now for a few years. I don't think they are non-scholly anymore, but they might not offer the full allotment.
05-07-2021 12:25 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2021 12:25 PM)Yosef84 Wrote:  

Presby is in the Big South now for a few years. I don't think they are non-scholly anymore, but they might not offer the full allotment.

Presby is not in the Big South for football as of this past year (played a PFC schedule) They're in the Pioneer FC. Non-Scholarship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Football_League
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021 12:33 PM by Yosef Himself.)
05-07-2021 12:30 PM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

(05-07-2021 12:30 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(05-07-2021 12:25 PM)Yosef84 Wrote:  
(05-07-2021 07:55 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  High School is a different level of athlete. Younger. Less direct training. etc. His no punt and on-side kicks really worked in Arkansas HS ball. I think he was fairly dominant too.

Presby is not in the Big South for football as of this past year. They're in the Pioneer Conference. Non-Scholarship.

My bad! I'm obviously running a step behind! I stand corrected!
05-07-2021 12:32 PM
Advertisement

TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(05-06-2021 08:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I will definitely be watching a Presbyterian game this fall. That will be exciting football.

oh yea? you like non-scholarship FCS games?
05-07-2021 03:24 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2021 03:24 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 08:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I will definitely be watching a Presbyterian game this fall. That will be exciting football.

oh yea? you like non-scholarship FCS games?

Watched Presby and Davidson this year. Presby and Gardner Webb too. Though this was spring football, so how couldn't I?
05-07-2021 03:29 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I personally don't think this coach will remain at Presbyterian very long as he is a very talented and bright young man, IMO.
05-07-2021 06:29 PM
RedWolves05 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: A-State
He is a good coach, no doubt. 9 HS state championships.
He had coached players such as Hunter Henry (Patriots TE), his 2 brothers who play at Arkansas, as well as stAte QB's Fredi Knighten and Layne Hatcher.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021 08:36 PM by RedWolves05.)
05-07-2021 08:36 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

When you are able to recruit the best kids in the state to play in a league against a bunch of public schools, you'd be able to do anything you want as twell.

The innovative part of Kelley isn't necessarily the no punt thing, its his play design. He runs some plays that I'm pretty sure a Rugby player drew up.
05-07-2021 09:35 PM
Advertisement

sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
What he said. Many don't understand the overwhelming advantage he had because of the school he coached. Money talks.
05-08-2021 05:29 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(05-08-2021 05:29 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  What he said. Many don't understand the overwhelming advantage he had because of the school he coached. Money talks.

He probably took the job to see how well the scheme will translate. Non scholarship football is still a step up in quality from High School.
05-08-2021 08:06 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

No doubt about that. I'm interested to see how it works out as well. But living down the road from his high school program I was well aware of the money that funded that situation. It was so bad that the state's athletic oversight group was trying to figure out how to separate the private schools from the public schools because the private schools were buying the best players in state. Thus all the D1 prospects coming from these kind of schools. So now Kelly moves into a new world. Let's see what his brand does. I will say this. Blake Anderson brought a lot of that "river gambler" attitude to stAte and it didn't play well in the long run.
05-08-2021 10:22 PM
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

(05-08-2021 10:22 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  No doubt about that. I'm interested to see how it works out as well. But living down the road from his high school program I was well aware of the money that funded that situation. It was so bad that the state's athletic oversight group was trying to figure out how to separate the private schools from the public schools because the private schools were buying the best players in state. Thus all the D1 prospects coming from these kind of schools. So now Kelly moves into a new world. Let's see what his brand does. I will say this. Blake Anderson brought a lot of that "river gambler" attitude to stAte and it didn't play well in the long run.

First of all, I am no fan of Kelly. That being said, he did not buy his players. I suspect a few key players here or there got financial assistance, but it's not like he had blue chip players every year leading the charge. And kids like Hatcher, and Henry didn't need to money or a scholarship. Their families had enough money to pay for tuition. They just chose to go to PA to play for Kelly and the program.

It's easy to assume he bought the players to be successful. What he did is build a program where kids wanted to come play. He maybe had 1 or 2 kids each year go on to play at the next level. Not like his entire team was college level talent. The D1 kids in Little Rock are coming from Bryant, Robinson, NLR, Central - all public schools.

He was demanding and his players outworked and executed better than any team I have ever seen on the high school level.

Like I said, I am not a fan of his program and I would not want my kids to play for a coach like that. But you can't deny his success and you can't just say "He recruited kids and paid kids to play to win." That is not the case.
05-09-2021 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.